School system wanting home vist for new student enrolment?

Posted in the Idle Hour Forum

Wondering

Nicholasville, KY

#1 Aug 10, 2012
I enrolled my child into kindergarten, today I went to the open house and the teacher want to know when she can schedule a home visit..

Why in the world do they want to visit my home? What makes them think they should have the right to visit my home?
Customer

Albany, NY

#3 Aug 11, 2012
Wondering wrote:
I enrolled my child into kindergarten, today I went to the open house and the teacher want to know when she can schedule a home visit..

Why in the world do they want to visit my home? What makes them think they should have the right to visit my home?
Its something routine that's done for all the preschool and kindergarten in the county. It allows the teacher to get to know you and your child in an environment that the child is most comfortable in. Its required by law that they do 2 home visits a year but if you aren't comfortable with that the teachers are usually ok with doing it at a grandparents home or meeting at the school. Just don't go in with a negative attitude towards the teacher, it's what she is required to do. And your child can sense your feelings and emotions, if you're uncomfortable they will be uncomfortable, etc.
xyz

Nicholasville, KY

#4 Aug 11, 2012
Without having anything to hide... the concept of a home visit to MOST of us, implies they are coming looking for something. I was a little put off by it at first too. I have nothing to hide except the disarray a small child creates often in a house and the feeling that I was the one being evaluated some how. I know they've been doing these for years and Im sure its taxing for the teachers to get these done. But Im also convinced they were introduced as a measure to make sure children were in safe environments and to have an idea of what the home situation is like, in case God forbid a referral to social services does need to be made for the child's safety. Also, with a lot of children, it is easier for them to get to know the children individually an make the transition to school an easier one. The teachers become a familiar face who have spent some time in their home. So while it is a little off putting, it helps those kids who need it, and those who don't still benefit and we get to know our kids teachers without the constraints of 2 dozen other kids running around. Schedule it, meet with them for 45min - hour and move on.
mom

Lexington, KY

#5 Aug 11, 2012
i think its a good idea.
Caddy man

United States

#6 Aug 12, 2012
charlie wrote:
What do you have to hide? Your house filthy? Drugs? You should be able to open your door and welcome your child's teacher into your home just like you would a friend. They just come in and talk to you and go over what your child will be learning I agree its a bit inconvenient but that "have the rights" is a bunch of crap. Get involved and stay involved in your child's education. But im guessing in your worried about a home visit in kindergarten then your probably the type of person that's more concerned with yourself.
Your a judgmental dick aren't you.
soontobdaddy

Henderson, KY

#7 Aug 12, 2012
I love fact that teachers are required to do home visits.
steph

Carol Stream, IL

#8 Aug 12, 2012
just f y I they've always done that.. they're not coming to look or criticize just gotta come and see how your child back in his own environment.. it was good for my son because he had some issues so it was another way to meet his teacher and get to know him better.. it's actually kind of a good thing don't worry too much about it
wondering

Nicholasville, KY

#9 Aug 14, 2012
charlie wrote:
What do you have to hide? Your house filthy? Drugs? You should be able to open your door and welcome your child's teacher into your home just like you would a friend. They just come in and talk to you and go over what your child will be learning I agree its a bit inconvenient but that "have the rights" is a bunch of crap. Get involved and stay involved in your child's education. But im guessing in your worried about a home visit in kindergarten then your probably the type of person that's more concerned with yourself.
No I don't have anything to hide, my house is clean other then some toys here and there. I don't do drugs and I am in my children's life on everything they do or wanna do.

Just because this person is there teacher doesn't make them my friend or is welcomed in to my home. Far as I know there teacher can be just as much of a dick as you are, and people like that are not welcomed in my home to judge me or how I live my life.

My child goes to school to learn not to have teachers over to investigate and waist my time. I and my child met the teacher at open house, I will also be having parent teacher conferences with my child's teacher at school as well. So I personally don't see the point and having them come here. If I do allow them to come will be my wifes decision. I say no but if she says yes then that is what will happen because like I said before I have nothing to hide!
Teach

Versailles, KY

#10 Aug 14, 2012
Well if the teacher is reading this post they probably can pick up all they need without a visit. Your kid will need considerable help at school because they are not getting a proper education at home. The word is spelled waste NOT waist in this situation.

Since: Jul 12

Nicholasville, KY

#11 Aug 14, 2012
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't have anything to hide, my house is clean other then some toys here and there. I don't do drugs and I am in my children's life on everything they do or wanna do.
Just because this person is there teacher doesn't make them my friend or is welcomed in to my home. Far as I know there teacher can be just as much of a dick as you are, and people like that are not welcomed in my home to judge me or how I live my life.
My child goes to school to learn not to have teachers over to investigate and waist my time. I and my child met the teacher at open house, I will also be having parent teacher conferences with my child's teacher at school as well. So I personally don't see the point and having them come here. If I do allow them to come will be my wifes decision. I say no but if she says yes then that is what will happen because like I said before I have nothing to hide!
i think my wife met the teacher,but they sat on the swing on the back porch.we wanted to met her so we could see if she was a perv,you cant count on the school to pick them out you see it on the news every week.93% of the retards on here are just that retards and just want the drama,so dont get all worked up.
Wondering

Nicholasville, KY

#12 Aug 15, 2012
Teach wrote:
Well if the teacher is reading this post they probably can pick up all they need without a visit. Your kid will need considerable help at school because they are not getting a proper education at home. The word is spelled waste NOT waist in this situation.
I never said I was the smartest man when it comes to books. That's why my kids are not in home school and attend public school that has Teachers.

Even tho my grammar and spelling might not be the best, my two older kids are in accelerated classes and make good grades.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Idle Hour Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are online college courses worth doing for a ba... 8 min addi tion spc 10
who is best red head 10 min hyddf 8
does anyone know anthony crane or tasha mcclure... (Apr '12) 16 min praying for rats 6
What's your age and how many sex partners you had? (Sep '10) 21 min Love is in the air 420
williamsburg drive drugs 37 min Toad 3
Should Polygamy be legal in Wayne co. ? (Dec '13) 43 min green eyes 28
the best place to have sex in nicholasville? (Mar '09) 44 min Jiggy 60
More from around the web

Idle Hour People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]