Drowning in Broken Bow Lake

Posted in the Idabel Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Beth J

Irving, TX

#1 Aug 23, 2012
On Aug. 11th my son-in-law drowned in the Broken Bow Lake. So far the rescue team has been unable to recover him. Due to a lack of funds they are unable to deep dive for him. Since I live in Texas, does anyone know someone that does this kind of deep diving to assist in the recovery of my son-in-law Calvin Straughter?
Pearl

Dallas, TX

#2 Aug 24, 2012
Hi Beth, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. God Bless You.

I don't know any deep divers, but I'll try to help by asking around town and see if we can find you one.

big bear, do you know of anybody that could help this family?
ERIN

United States

#3 Aug 24, 2012
I am so sorry about Calvin. I worked with him. He was such a inspiration to us all. I am truly hurt by this great loss. I am praying to Jesus for him to be found. I am asking around for deep divers. You are in my prayers. We miss him so much! May God be with you during this painful tIme.
big bear

Broken Bow, OK

#4 Aug 24, 2012
Pearl wrote:
Hi Beth, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. God Bless You.
I don't know any deep divers, but I'll try to help by asking around town and see if we can find you one.
big bear, do you know of anybody that could help this family?
NO, I am sorry I dont. Has she tried contacting her congressman. sometimes they can help with a situation like this and put her with the right people
Nakeisha

Irving, TX

#5 Aug 24, 2012
Hi, So sorry for your loss. I worked very close with Calvin as a fellow supervisor at SRG. Have they called off the search? The reason I ask is because I would like to start a collection at the job to raise money for the deep sea diver fund. We loved him so much at work and we would all be willing to do whatever it takes to help contribute financially for the search. Please let me know so that I may get this started immediately.
Kathleen Newsome

Dallas, TX

#6 Aug 28, 2012
So sorry to hear this. Are you'll in need of money to begin the deep water search for your love one? Did the cadaver dogs not pick up his scent a week ago or so. Me and the Griggs Chapel Church Family are praying with and for you.
Beth J wrote:
On Aug. 11th my son-in-law drowned in the Broken Bow Lake. So far the rescue team has been unable to recover him. Due to a lack of funds they are unable to deep dive for him. Since I live in Texas, does anyone know someone that does this kind of deep diving to assist in the recovery of my son-in-law Calvin Straughter?
Beth Johnson

United States

#7 Aug 29, 2012
Kathleen Newsome wrote:
So sorry to hear this. Are you'll in need of money to begin the deep water search for your love one? Did the cadaver dogs not pick up his scent a week ago or so. Me and the Griggs Chapel Church Family are praying with and for you.
<quoted text>
Thank you so much for your steady prayers. Continue to lift us up in prayer. The cadaver dogs never had a steady scent unfortunately. Oklahoma highway patrol is doing another approach in finding Calvin. We pray this will find him.
Attention to all

United States

#8 Aug 30, 2012
I think that it is totally unacceptable that your son-in-law has not been found yet. It is a shame that the State of Oklahoma, COE, Broken Bow Lake, etc, has not done more in helping you find your love one. Labor Day weekend will be huge at BBL and I would suggest putting up flyers/cans asking for donation in helping hire someone to come in and search because it is evident the people searching or suppose to be searching are not doing any good. I was on BBL last weekend and I did not see any place on the lake that was being searched but it is a big lake. What area was he lost at? I would think that there would be someone somewhere that would offer free of charge to help!I wonder how many people would be happy boating across the lake knowing that if something happened to them that they will probably not be located by the people searching I guess the law inforcement needs more training in this area or maybe they are just having an extended vacation at the Lake.
Sunrise

Fort Worth, TX

#9 Aug 30, 2012
Beth Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you so much for your steady prayers. Continue to lift us up in prayer. The cadaver dogs never had a steady scent unfortunately. Oklahoma highway patrol is doing another approach in finding Calvin. We pray this will find him.
I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that your loved one will be found soon.
Tax Payer

Talihina, OK

#10 Aug 30, 2012
Maybe "Attention to all" needs go to the lake and help look. Those responders and lake patrol officers have been looking since this occurred. Night and Day for a long time. 160 foot of water is DEEP. It is bad that the person who drowned hasn't been found, but resources are doing all that can be done.
Attention to all

Morocco, IN

#11 Aug 30, 2012
Tax Payer wrote:
Maybe "Attention to all" needs go to the lake and help look. Those responders and lake patrol officers have been looking since this occurred. Night and Day for a long time. 160 foot of water is DEEP. It is bad that the person who drowned hasn't been found, but resources are doing all that can be done.
I have LOOKED but I have FAILED to see the "responders and lake patrol officers" that you are talking about. I will be back this weekend and will search for these so called people. We spent 4 hours boating this past Sunday and I did NOT see one responder or patrol office on the lake. DID notice that they have chosen the best spot to park their camper....huuuumm! I think if this had been the "Right" person there would have been more "resources" brought to BBL in this recovery effort.
Truth and Empathy

Garland, TX

#12 Aug 30, 2012
"Tax payer " I'm sure they have been searching day and night and I'm sure it has been taking a lot of effort. But we are all tax payers including Calvin. If it was your love one I'm sure you would feel different. And I'm sure the family appreciates everything that is being done.
One who knows

Durant, OK

#13 Aug 30, 2012
There have been 12 divers there since the incident. The lake is built over a forest. The divers cannot see their hand before them in all the limbs, etc. Very dangerous for them. They would love to find this person and have risk themselves to help. I certainly feel the family's pain and hope they will have succcess in locating the person but this is an unusual lake to dive in due to timber.
BRM32

Lamar, OK

#14 Aug 31, 2012
They have found him with tht sonar thing down in 60 feet deep water. They are getting the divers today to retieve him
Pearl

Dallas, TX

#15 Aug 31, 2012
Attention to all wrote:
<quoted text>
I have LOOKED but I have FAILED to see the "responders and lake patrol officers" that you are talking about. I will be back this weekend and will search for these so called people. We spent 4 hours boating this past Sunday and I did NOT see one responder or patrol office on the lake. DID notice that they have chosen the best spot to park their camper....huuuumm! I think if this had been the "Right" person there would have been more "resources" brought to BBL in this recovery effort.
Those who might have helped, for some reason have changed their minds. Good luck in finding your friend.
BRM32

Lamar, OK

#16 Aug 31, 2012
THERES ALOT OF BRUSH DOWN THERE WERE HE IS LOCATED AT.
KET

Mckinney, TX

#17 Aug 31, 2012
We happened to be on the lake the same day and heard about the accident later in the day. From what I've read he sounded like a fine man. We pray for your family and hope his body is recovered. Please let us know when this happens. I'm sure this will help bring closure to your family. Prayers!
TJJ07

Plano, TX

#18 Aug 31, 2012
At BRM32
Did they find him? It is official that it is his body?
Adub

Roanoke, TX

#19 Sep 3, 2012
It would be nice if people who didn't even know Calvin would keep their insensitive and unhelpful arguments off a conversation thread between people who did know and care about him and are grieving over the loss of their friend and family member. For those with information, please please continue to keep us posted, and thank you so much.
ms christeen

Richardson, TX

#20 Sep 3, 2012
BRM32 wrote:
They have found him with tht sonar thing down in 60 feet deep water. They are getting the divers today to retieve him
I thank GOD that they have found my Friend, Calvin was like a son to me. I often told him he reminded me of my Son. Cherish the moments amd laughter, It's the way you keep going. I know I lost my daughter seems like just yesterday. God bless you and hold you close during this time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Idabel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jerry Dale Meek _ Murder Trial Begins (Oct '13) Sat Gossip 436
Whos is some dead beat dads around here?? (Sep '10) May 20 Linda 20
who knows traci bailey (Apr '12) May 19 tracibunch 4
snorty morgan recent information?? (Oct '12) May 12 Bleed On Me 41
Looking for anyone who may know Tommy D. Thomas May 5 The Ghost Of Rudo... 2
Burning U.S. Flag At GOP Convention In Burlingame Apr 29 Anagrams Of Mammo... 1
News Person wanted in fatal shooting found walking a... (May '15) Apr 25 A dead mans son 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Idabel Mortgages