volunteers at Iaeger elementary

Posted in the Iaeger Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
loving momma also

Bridgeport, WV

#1 Aug 24, 2008
for the past two years my little boy has attended Iaeger Elementary School. It was so hard for me to let him go. I would love to go over there with him daily and eat with him and check on him every hour, but if every parent tried to do that, the school would be a mess not to mention the state of mind those children would have. I am attached to my baby too, but there comes a time when we have to let them go to school. They need to realize that they can go to school without mom or dad. I dont understand why they would want to bring their children up to feel that they have to be with them all day every day. There will come a time when these poor children will suffer for the way their parents are bringing them up. They will be bullied and their self-esteem will fall through the floor. Life is hard on youngsters growing up and I thankfully realize that my baby has to go out there and learn from it. Just like when we were small, we didnt habe the pleasure of mom or dad at school withus. I cant believe mr. baiey allows these parents to stay there every day that their child is in attendance. Maybe the parents will have adjusted some this year. I know it is hard, I am one of you. Give your child a chance/
used to be volunteer

Bridgeport, WV

#2 Aug 24, 2008
thank you for your thoughts. I used to be one of those parents, and I have learned the hard way that it was not a good idea. I feel that I convinced my child that she could not goto school withoutme. When I finally realized that she should go alone, it was late enough that she could not accept the ideal that I would not be with her. It was so hard to ovvercome. She cried , missed days, complained of being sick. It took almost a year to get her to go in the building eithout me. Kids did bully her. I feel so sorry for anyone who does this now. children are different these days/ Many are so spoiled to begin with. Parents please think of your kids future before you act.
SRMS parent

United States

#3 Aug 24, 2008
Yes, you said it all!! You can only volunteer but so long. I did to until my child was in the first grade! Of course Renee loves it that's less work on her, that's not a lie or gossip ask her sometimes she likes all the parents to help but sometimes it's so confusing! Last year @ SRMS. you are NOT allowed in the school unless your child cries & cries! They always get bullied or get made fun of, who wants their mommy holding their hand through the door..lol!! Mr. bailey loves you all you don't get pd for it & you do it & he keeps your money! It's time to wake up & let the school officials do their jobs....
Thanks

United States

#4 Aug 25, 2008
Well I am thankful to Mr. Bailey for letting parents feel welcomed in our school.
I for take my daughter to school every morning and enjoy talking with the teachers as much as I can.
We all know when they get to SRMS, what that is like unless its changed over the years my son was there.
Just to walk into the school seem to be breaking the rules.
I will enjoy my connection with teachers and staff at elem as long as I can.
mary mullins

Princeton, WV

#5 Aug 25, 2008
Thanks wrote:
Well I am thankful to Mr. Bailey for letting parents feel welcomed in our school.
I for take my daughter to school every morning and enjoy talking with the teachers as much as I can.
We all know when they get to SRMS, what that is like unless its changed over the years my son was there.
EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION AS FOR ME MY SON STARTS PRE K I WILL BE THERE EVERY DAY MORNING TO AFTERNOON i guess your kids are old enough where you don't have to hold their hand i will hold my little boys as long as he will let me renee is always needing help its not like you go into the classroom and sit with your kids my god if you don't tell them they won't even know your there
mary mullins

Princeton, WV

#6 Aug 25, 2008
one more thing i seen in your comments that a few of you have sit at the elem. school to help come on now just because you don't want to be down there anymore or your child has went to the middle school don't get on here and start crap to try to ruin it for the parents that are looking forward to helping at iaeger elem.
past volenteer

Princeton, WV

#7 Aug 25, 2008
I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this subject just as everyone has armpits. Just as armpits often stink so does some peoples opinions. I appreciated being free to be involved in the elementary school. My child needed to know I was available. I was not always there but I felt what I volunteered to do helped improve the school environment thus making the emoployees jobs a little easier. If a parent feels their child would be better if they did not become involved in the day to day activities then I say fine stay home but DON'T JUDGE WHAT IS BEST FOR OTHER PEOPLES CHILDREN OR THE PEOPLE WHO WORK HARD TO MAKE THE LIVES OF OTHER PEOPLES CHILDREN BETTER. In other words take care of your own child and quit running down Mr. Bailey for his kindness in allowing parents to help and be involved in the school. I for one miss those days when I felt free to enter the school and communicate with the teachers and children.
Just myself

Snowshoe, WV

#8 Aug 25, 2008
Honey, I got news for ya, after they start jr. high, they dont want you around anymore, Mine didnt, I did the same thing with elementary, I was there at least every other day volunteering.
another parent

Princeton, WV

#9 Aug 25, 2008
Just myself wrote:
Honey, I got news for ya, after they start jr. high, they dont want you around anymore, Mine didnt, I did the same thing with elementary, I was there at least every other day volunteering.
You're right they need their parents to recognize when they need their space. I respect my childs need for space but he also knows that he can confide in me at any time and I'll always be there when he needs me. The good thing about it is he still wants me to be there most of the time and he just turned 13. I don't think pychological damage has been caused by his mom being there alot during his elementary years. In fact he has classmates who love the attention that I have given them over the years. Sometimes a parent speaking kindly to a young child or taking the time to tie their shoe in first grade gives them a boost of security that some children are not priviledged to have at home because not all moms are as dedicated as you and I and the other volunteers.
Just myself

Snowshoe, WV

#10 Aug 25, 2008
You know I volunteered from kindergarten till the 6th grade. This was before 6th graders went to Sandy River. What really got to me, was the kids that really didnt have anyone to help them. I worked with a boy that was in 3rd grade and could not even read. I would read his math problems to him, and he could get everyone of them right. I just think it is a shame how many of our young children go all the way to school and cant even read. These kids were a joy to work with. And believe me, you really felt like you work actually giving back, when you just worked a half hour with them. One of them, who has graduated now, I see pretty often. And he always comes and talks to me. That makes me feel very good. I believe in the volunteer program, if that is what you are there for, and not, just for your child.
Volunteers, keep up the good work, and please remember, to give back to these kids that need it the most.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#11 Aug 26, 2008
I do volunteer at school and I enjoy it. I may see my little boy maybe 2 times a day. I help with running papers off for your kids do there work. Since the teachers have so much work to do. I help with cleaning up the lunch room breakfast & lunch. I help fix popcorn for your kids to eat for the dances or perfect attendance or whenever they need the popcorn. I could careless what some people think of us parent volunteers. As long as it helps the teachers and the students then i'm very happy with it. It makes me happy to know that I have helped someone out. And thank you for your time...
IES PARENT

Gilbert, WV

#12 Aug 26, 2008
hello there wrote:
I do volunteer at school and I enjoy it. I may see my little boy maybe 2 times a day. I help with running papers off for your kids do there work. Since the teachers have so much work to do. I help with cleaning up the lunch room breakfast & lunch. I help fix popcorn for your kids to eat for the dances or perfect attendance or whenever they need the popcorn. I could careless what some people think of us parent volunteers. As long as it helps the teachers and the students then i'm very happy with it. It makes me happy to know that I have helped someone out. And thank you for your time...
keep up the good work. only thing is please stay off the phone. you can never get a call through during the day and sometimes you really need to but the phone is busy. most of the time when you go in the office you see a volunteer on the phone. if you are there to volunteer then do it and we thank you but please stay off the phone so those of us who work and cant be there all day can be there by phone if needed.
see 4 yourself

United States

#13 Aug 26, 2008
IES PARENT wrote:
<quoted text>keep up the good work. only thing is please stay off the phone. you can never get a call through during the day and sometimes you really need to but the phone is busy. most of the time when you go in the office you see a volunteer on the phone. if you are there to volunteer then do it and we thank you but please stay off the phone so those of us who work and cant be there all day can be there by phone if needed.
you can never get a call through,when you need to,its always busy.I can't believe they would tie a phone up like that at a school! Further more I've known parents that have followed their kids all through grade school,jr.high and even to the High School. Its called BROWN NOSING!! Parents that have to WORK for a living never had that advantage, But you know what OUR kids turned out as better adults as those that had mommy there all day!!!
cubs fan

United States

#14 Aug 26, 2008
see 4 yourself wrote:
<quoted text>you can never get a call through,when you need to,its always busy.I can't believe they would tie a phone up like that at a school! Further more I've known parents that have followed their kids all through grade school,jr.high and even to the High School. Its called BROWN NOSING!! Parents that have to WORK for a living never had that advantage, But you know what OUR kids turned out as better adults as those that had mommy there all day!!!
I don't know how it is today but when my kids were in school I helped out a lot and the more you help out the better you child does in school.If thats BROWN NOSING,then I'm guilty.I wasn't there every day but I was involved in fundraising,PTO,Chaperoning dances sporting,band competitions(that when they had a band),etc;Claude Roberts could ALWAYS count on me.I really enjoyed it but like I said I WASN"T a DAILY volunteer.Now I have grand children,one in school now and if they need me I will be there,just not EVERY day.
mary mullins

Princeton, WV

#15 Aug 26, 2008
see 4 yourself wrote:
<quoted text>you can never get a call through,when you need to,its always busy.I can't believe they would tie a phone up like that at a school! Further more I've known parents that have followed their kids all through grade school,jr.high and even to the High School. Its called BROWN NOSING!! Parents that have to WORK for a living never had that advantage, But you know what OUR kids turned out as better adults as those that had mommy there all day!!!
maybe you are forgetting that some mommies do not have to work they have husbands that do very well do not forget though raising kids getting them through school and brown nosing as you call it is a full time job as for the phones been busy all the time have you ever been there renee gets calls all day long it either pertains to the kids that are there or its business no body gossips on the school phone
cubs fan

United States

#16 Aug 26, 2008
Lets not forget about the Fax machine,it ties the line up too.
Funny

United States

#17 Aug 26, 2008
Thanks wrote:
Do you think that they enjoy your being there? The answer is NOOO! They talk !!@#$ about you parents that wont leave and go home. Dont you need to clean your house or something?
Could it be

Charleston, WV

#18 Aug 27, 2008
see 4 yourself wrote:
Some parents do have to work, I for one only work part time so that I can take advantage of what happens in my childs school.
I dont think Im BROWN NOSING, I think its called taking a interest in what my child is doing.

I dont really get this post considering you, yourself called it a advantage!
And I certainly dont think you or anyone else can call your children any better than another because of it.
true true

Snowshoe, WV

#19 Aug 27, 2008
cubs fan wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know how it is today but when my kids were in school I helped out a lot and the more you help out the better you child does in school.If thats BROWN NOSING,then I'm guilty.I wasn't there every day but I was involved in fundraising,PTO,Chaperoning dances sporting,band competitions(that when they had a band),etc;Claude Roberts could ALWAYS count on me.I really enjoyed it but like I said I WASN"T a DAILY volunteer.Now I have grand children,one in school now and if they need me I will be there,just not EVERY day.
you said it, helping out at school is not brown nosing, but watch out for those sports moms and dad you can see the brown nosing there .
dont you know

Barboursville, WV

#20 Aug 27, 2008
hey I am a kid myself and I for one can tell you that those kids whose mommies are always there will be made fun of. I have had it myself I have seen it done to others. those kids look like weenies. Let them have a chance to go to school on their own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iaeger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BOLD and TRYING (Mar '11) 5 min Sundog512 28,100
Word assocation (Sep '07) 1 hr Elightened Observ... 18,114
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 1 hr SWAMP WITCH 7,436
4 Word Game (Sep '08) 1 hr SWAMP WITCH 2,999
The Alphabet Game (Dec '11) 1 hr SWAMP WITCH 2,906
threesome (Jan '14) 2 hr Benn dare 15
BOLD and TRYING (Oct '14) 7 hr Just Wondering 363

Iaeger Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance