So not true

Lancaster, WI

#142 Jan 16, 2010
hmmm wrote:
so really the blame still rest on the shoulders of the adults. We have give these kids liscense to disrespect. When suzy sees sally getting away with murder because daddy and mr so and so are buddys, suzy automatically thinks she can do the same and if she gets punished for the same crime then resentment builds up and suzy and sally are in a scuffle, It should be same set of rules for every child all the time no matter who they are. It would teach repect no matter if it is a child of the person who writes your paycheck or mike tysons child , the schools are so segregated its not even funny. poor kids from rich kids, it ridiculous. grade school is actually worse than high school and that is where disrespectful behaviors in school are being taught, kids learn who gets away with everything and who gets detention and suspension. Sorry about the spelling.
First of all, I do agree with you about some students getting away with things and some not; that is in lots of schools. It's sad, but true. It is also not a secret there are certain students who cheat. My child has witnessed this as well. In two upper level classes my child witness the teachers walk out of the room for a few minutes during a test. BIG mistake. In both of these classes, the same students began to cheat. I told my child not to worry about it because it will come back and get bite them where it hurts. They are only hurting themselves. Does being in the top ten put that much pressure on students that they cheat?(I know that for a fact, and was going to call these teachers; But, what teacher gives a test and leaves the room?) As far as the segragation goes, I don't agree. We aren't rich; nor, do we have a lot of money. But my child is respected by his peers, including those who have more money than we.
You know

Appleton, WI

#143 Jan 16, 2010
I bet that if the computers were taken away from the teachers, most, not all, couldn't even teach. They themselves wouldn't know how to do the work that they hand out to the kids. That is where they get their answers. When I went to school, all the teachers had their answers in the back of their books. But they had to show the students how to do whatever work they were given. And if the child did not understand, the teacher worked with that child till they did. Even if they had to write it several times on the board. And most teachers did just that. They understood that some kids would not ask for help. They understood that some kids didn't want the other kids in their class think they were stupid because they did not understand at first. But you cant teach if you do not understand it yourself. I am NOT for taking the computers out of schools. Because eventually almost everything that can be, will be cyber. And all the kids need hands on experience to internet too. Not to shopping networks, games or chat sites, but educational sites. But teachers should explain things to the kids more than once. Even if they need to write it on the board over and over till it is understood. That makes a good teacher that kids respect and admire. And also, teachers need to treat ALL the kids the same.
mop

Williston, SC

#144 Jan 16, 2010
just a person wrote:
i know my child has told me for the last three yrs that all the teachers do is leave the room and let the kids do whatever and they come back about 5 minutes before the bell rings so i think that something needs to be done and soon.
Or they sit at the computer and drink diet pepsi all day. And degrade the scapegoat of the year. One at Hyden Elem fits this MO.

Since: Jul 09

London, KY

#145 Jan 16, 2010
Geico Man wrote:
LCHS: so easy a caveman could do it.
Niiiice.
I wonder

United States

#146 Jan 16, 2010
Why all the people saying the problem is at home or that its all the parents or the students fault that the high school is one of the worst in the state, but they don't mention the fact that the grade schools and the middle school had pretty good test scores? Do parents and students just give up when they get to the 9th grade? You would think if students or parents didn't care the scores would be low in all the others schools. Just a thought.
weird aint it

Williston, SC

#147 Jan 17, 2010
I wonder wrote:
Why all the people saying the problem is at home or that its all the parents or the students fault that the high school is one of the worst in the state, but they don't mention the fact that the grade schools and the middle school had pretty good test scores? Do parents and students just give up when they get to the 9th grade? You would think if students or parents didn't care the scores would be low in all the others schools. Just a thought.
Yea, that is strange. That kids could make good scores in middle school and then all of a sudden in high school, the scores drop. maybe their intelligence goes away? Or maybe there is something fishy going on?
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh

Lancaster, WI

#148 Jan 17, 2010
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:
The problems start with the parents. When they have an open house how many parents actually come to speak with their kids teachers. Very few! Until the mentality changes for the parents the kids will lack. Fact is we have raised a generation of children with no moral compass. Now that is not all parents but quite a few of them do not have any ambition to better themselves and the children are raised with those attitudes also.
Well, how about having Open House and other school functions at times that MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR WORKING PARENTS TO BE THERE!!!! The reality is that we don't ALL work for the BOE and we can't leave our jobs to be at the school before 5:00 p.m. Some of us actually work until 5 or 6 o'clock. My opinion is this: THEY DON'T WANT US THERE!!! They don't want to take the time to talk to us, they don't want us questioning them about what is going on in their classrooms, and they don't want our input on how we think improvements can be made. I've never seen a school system so ANTI-PARENT in my life. Don't even try to place the blame for this mess on the parents, schedule meetings, events and assemblies at times that working parents can attend instead of trying to keep us out of the schools!!!!!
purified

Williston, SC

#149 Jan 17, 2010
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, how about having Open House and other school functions at times that MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR WORKING PARENTS TO BE THERE!!!! The reality is that we don't ALL work for the BOE and we can't leave our jobs to be at the school before 5:00 p.m. Some of us actually work until 5 or 6 o'clock. My opinion is this: THEY DON'T WANT US THERE!!! They don't want to take the time to talk to us, they don't want us questioning them about what is going on in their classrooms, and they don't want our input on how we think improvements can be made. I've never seen a school system so ANTI-PARENT in my life. Don't even try to place the blame for this mess on the parents, schedule meetings, events and assemblies at times that working parents can attend instead of trying to keep us out of the schools!!!!!
I am not a parent, but how about taking off work a little early on nights that they have open-house? I mean, it's just 1 night every 6 weeks. Say you have a doctor's appointment or fake an illness if you need an excuse. OR if that is still an impossibility how about picking up the phone and calling the teacher? All the school's have individual websites and their phone numbers are posted, in addition to EVERY teacher's web address. Send an email if all else fails. There is really no excuse for any parent not knowing how their student is doing and having a good idea of what is going on in the classroom.
I think

Lancaster, WI

#150 Jan 17, 2010
purified wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a parent, but how about taking off work a little early on nights that they have open-house? I mean, it's just 1 night every 6 weeks. Say you have a doctor's appointment or fake an illness if you need an excuse. OR if that is still an impossibility how about picking up the phone and calling the teacher? All the school's have individual websites and their phone numbers are posted, in addition to EVERY teacher's web address. Send an email if all else fails. There is really no excuse for any parent not knowing how their student is doing and having a good idea of what is going on in the classroom.
the part where you told someone to fake an illness as an excuse make me wonder how many times you missed work when you should've been there, that is if you are an adult to begin with. I never heard anything so lame in my entire life. When you do have children, I hope you grow up a whole lot.
purified

Williston, SC

#151 Jan 17, 2010
I think wrote:
<quoted text>the part where you told someone to fake an illness as an excuse make me wonder how many times you missed work when you should've been there, that is if you are an adult to begin with. I never heard anything so lame in my entire life. When you do have children, I hope you grow up a whole lot.
Yes, I am an adult with a job (I know, I know, a rarity in Leslie County) and probably more educated than you'll ever hope to be. However, if the only way that I could get off work to attend my child's open house was to fake an illness I would. If I do decide to have children their education will be my top priority. I am of the opinion that if more parents in Leslie County and Eastern Kentucky made their children's education a priority we would not be in the situation we are in; that situation being low test scores, a high drop-out rate, illiteracy, and unqualified people being hired within our school system.
I think

Lancaster, WI

#152 Jan 17, 2010
purified wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am an adult with a job (I know, I know, a rarity in Leslie County) and probably more educated than you'll ever hope to be. However, if the only way that I could get off work to attend my child's open house was to fake an illness I would. If I do decide to have children their education will be my top priority. I am of the opinion that if more parents in Leslie County and Eastern Kentucky made their children's education a priority we would not be in the situation we are in; that situation being low test scores, a high drop-out rate, illiteracy, and unqualified people being hired within our school system.
I think you have enough education to be dangerous; I think they are called "educated fools". I still think to lie is wrong and there are some jobs you cannot just take off. Still grow up before having children.
agree

Williston, SC

#153 Jan 17, 2010
I think wrote:
<quoted text>I think you have enough education to be dangerous; I think they are called "educated fools". I still think to lie is wrong and there are some jobs you cannot just take off. Still grow up before having children.
I have to agree with "purified". Even though lying about why you are taking off work is not an ideal situation, all of us who have worked, or at least most of us, have had at least one unreasonable boss who would not hesitate to say "no" when asked if you could take off early to go to an open house. So, yes, I would lie and fake an illness or other excuse, even if I had to take the day off, if I really needed to speak to my child's teachers. If you cannot make it to an open house at the regular time, why don't you call the school and request that they have an evening open house with extended hours every now and then? I believe most open houses last until about 6:00. Most schools I am sure would try to accomodate a working parent.
Just a thought

Harpursville, NY

#154 Jan 17, 2010
<quoted text>
Have you ever thought about sending an email to your students teachers? You obviously have a computer, you are on topix, and therefore you have access to email. I am sure that any school in this county would love for you to be involved, especially if it benefits your child or the children in general...maybe not if you are trying to stir up trouble or have something to comment on in topix. You seem like you actually care and actually have a job (both a plus in my opinion). Just a thought.
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh

Lancaster, WI

#155 Jan 17, 2010
purified wrote:
<quoted text>
I HAVE taken off work early to attend Open House and other events. I am VERY aware of what MY children are doing in school. That wasn't my point. My point was the school's making it inconvenient to the working parents in order to keep us out of there. If you ever become a parent, let me know what an excellent job you're doing juggling work, kids, school and all of your kids' activities and how wonderful and helpful you find the school system to be when it comes to working with YOUR schedule. If you don't have any complaints about the times they schedule most events then you a) don't have kids
b) don't have a job
or
c) you work for them
I generally find it's the childless and unemployed who tend to offet the most ridiculous comments on here. They're also the ones who generally make the most assinine assumptions.
fish

Harpursville, NY

#156 Jan 17, 2010
weird aint it wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, that is strange. That kids could make good scores in middle school and then all of a sudden in high school, the scores drop. maybe their intelligence goes away? Or maybe there is something fishy going on?
Here is part of the problem...when schools do well you have idiots on topix saying how it is "fishy"...not "good job". Seriously people, you can only compare apples to apples. Compare the first grade (or whichever grade you choose) of each elementary school not the grade school to middle or middle to high. Granted if they do well throughout elementary and middle you would think they would do well in high school. Kids change, teachers change, environments change, along with other factors.
interesting

Harpursville, NY

#157 Jan 17, 2010
I find it interesting that everyone is so concerned now...this has been going on for years.
purified

Williston, SC

#158 Jan 17, 2010
I think wrote:
<quoted text>I think you have enough education to be dangerous; I think they are called "educated fools". I still think to lie is wrong and there are some jobs you cannot just take off. Still grow up before having children.
Lying may be wrong, but it is something that we are ALL guilty of and that includes you. If a small lie enables me to be involved in my child's education then so be it. Do not condemn others for sins that you committ as well. If I am a fool for what I said then I wear the title proudly.
purified

Williston, SC

#159 Jan 17, 2010
<quoted text>
I HAVE taken off work early to attend Open House and other events. I am VERY aware of what MY children are doing in school. That wasn't my point. My point was the school's making it inconvenient to the working parents in order to keep us out of there. If you ever become a parent, let me know what an excellent job you're doing juggling work, kids, school and all of your kids' activities and how wonderful and helpful you find the school system to be when it comes to working with YOUR schedule. If you don't have any complaints about the times they schedule most events then you a) don't have kids
b) don't have a job
or
c) you work for them
I generally find it's the childless and unemployed who tend to offet the most ridiculous comments on here. They're also the ones who generally make the most assinine assumptions.
Perhaps you could put your computer and internet to better use by emailing your child's teacher than arguing with people on topix. I wish that school's were able to accomodate EVERY child's parent, but you can imagine that accomodating everybody is an impossibility. Isn't there a saying, "you can't make everybody happy?" Of course, in this school system's case I doubt anybody is happy. I don't believe that the school system wishes to push parents away. Like someone else said, I believe any school system would be happy to have support from the community.
excuse me

Williston, SC

#160 Jan 17, 2010
<quoted text>
I noticed that your IP address says Jackson, KY. I wonder-do you live in Perry County because a lot of the IP's on Hazard Topix are either London or Jackson. So, do your kids attend Leslie Co. schools and do you live in Perry Co.?
I think

Lancaster, WI

#161 Jan 17, 2010
purified wrote:
<quoted text>
Lying may be wrong, but it is something that we are ALL guilty of and that includes you. If a small lie enables me to be involved in my child's education then so be it. Do not condemn others for sins that you committ as well. If I am a fool for what I said then I wear the title proudly.
First of all, don't act like you know my morals, and NO I do not lie, haven't even told white lies. Those who know me, know that this is something I've never done as an adult. Perhaps, when I was a child, I have told some, but NOT as an adult. And, if you're okay with lying to your employer that is you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hyden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 11 min Forumwatcher 177,071
Winners for election 12 min You are a nut 5
Serious question about clerks race 16 min You are a nut 5
How to make big fluffy biscuits 1 hr Belle 21
Am I the only one? 2 hr His fav 1
Sheriff 2018, Who's Running? Does anyone know a... (Jul '17) 8 hr PhD hoe bag 210
getting rid of tree frogs from my swimming pool (May '08) 9 hr terry814 123

Hyden Jobs

Personal Finance

Hyden Mortgages