Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,707)

Showing posts 74,121 - 74,140 of81,542
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Interesting. Wonder how many more are "man-made"....HAARP? Fracking?

Scientists: Big Oklahoma quake in 2011 was man-made

The Nov. 6 earthquake that injured two people and damaged 14 homes was caused by injections of wastewater, scientists found.

WASHINGTON A team of scientists have determined that a 5.6 magnitude quake in Oklahoma in 2011 was caused when oil drilling waste was injected deep underground.

That makes it the most powerful quake to be blamed on deep injections of wastewater, although not everyone agrees. Oklahoma's state seismologists say the quake was natural.

The Nov. 6 earthquake near Prague, Okla., injured two people, damaged 14 houses and was the strongest Midwestern quake in decades.

The new report says there was a smaller quake at the site of an old injection well, and that triggered the larger tremor. Records show the well pressure rising dramatically in 2006. The scientists say both combine to make a strong case that waste injections caused the quake.
The report was released Tuesday by the journal Geology.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/scient...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

FOR THE BIRDS:

Raptor Resource Project
~ Suspected First Hatch For Decorah Eagles 3/25 (Videos)~

(Click on the words "see more" to read entire post)
Thanks to Jim W., we have footage of what appears to be Mom and Dad Decorah reacting to a possible first hatch yesterday, March 25th. All indications are as such; Mom bringing food to the nest, Mom laying on the nest being rather antsy, Mom bringing in a new branch for an additional rail, and Mom and Dad both taking longer to turn the eggs or move things around in the nest bowl. The videos below are captures Jim got from yesterday, March 25th. We are most anxious for when the eaglets are tall enough to be seen in the nest.:) We don't know how many eggs there were for sure, but we hope Mom laid three again as she has done since 2009.

We really thank Jim, for his time and effort in providing these videos for us!

3/25 Mom moving nest bowl materials around her, mom looking around appearing to be more antsy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

3/25 Dad is on the nest, Mom flies in with a new branch.

3/25 (Slow Motion) Dad is on the nest, Mom lands with some prey.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

DIY ant control.(Those little piss ants drive me crazy in the Spring, although I have a friend that has those huge one's you could almost strap a saddle to, hahaha)

Get Rid of Ants Solution

This is a recipe for getting rid of those pesky ants that come every spring and summer. Mix up the solution, pack cotton balls in a jar cover, put the solution on and they will be gone.

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons boric acid [purchase here: http://amzn.to/11nzGz6 ]
3 cups warm water

Directions:
1. Mix the sugar and boric acid well.
2. Add the warm water slowly, mixing all the while so it won't be too lumpy.
3. Store in a jar until ready to use.
4. When ready to use, put cotton into the top of a jar lid to fill it and then saturate the cotton to the top.
5. Place it in the location where it is needed.
6. Note: This solution will keep for a long while.

A good technique is to drip a drop or two over the edge of the lid to rest on the counter so the ants will find the solution sooner. It sometimes takes a little while for them to find it, but find it they will. When they do, do not disturb them as they drink. They will hang over the edge of the lid and drink for a while and then take it back to the nest killing the colony. Almost overnight they will be gone.

http://bit.ly/AByoPA
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Buying Gas The Smart Way.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

I received this a couple years ago and it showed up again in my email so I thought I would pass it along in case you have not seen this and want to get the most gas for your money like we all do. Ours is still hovering around 3.50 gal. Not bad compared to other places. California for instance.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! Thank you very much! Hope your day is great!
While shopping I spotted some shower curtain bird rings. Never thought of this before but A BIRD BATH??!! How cool would that be??!! Lol. Bird threaders with a bird bath (room)!!
:) Thank you
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
FOR THE BIRDS:
Raptor Resource Project
~ Suspected First Hatch For Decorah Eagles 3/25 (Videos)~
(Click on the words "see more" to read entire post)
Thanks to Jim W., we have footage of what appears to be Mom and Dad Decorah reacting to a possible first hatch yesterday, March 25th. All indications are as such; Mom bringing food to the nest, Mom laying on the nest being rather antsy, Mom bringing in a new branch for an additional rail, and Mom and Dad both taking longer to turn the eggs or move things around in the nest bowl. The videos below are captures Jim got from yesterday, March 25th. We are most anxious for when the eaglets are tall enough to be seen in the nest.:) We don't know how many eggs there were for sure, but we hope Mom laid three again as she has done since 2009.
We really thank Jim, for his time and effort in providing these videos for us!
3/25 Mom moving nest bowl materials around her, mom looking around appearing to be more antsy.
3/25 Dad is on the nest, Mom flies in with a new branch.
3/25 (Slow Motion) Dad is on the nest, Mom lands with some prey.
Thats Funny ! Seems like 'DAD' is either lazy , or a stay-at-home Dad just lounging around the nest, or maybe he's just a little 'Hen-Pecked'...heehee!
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> Thats Funny ! Seems like 'DAD' is either lazy , or a stay-at-home Dad just lounging around the nest, or maybe he's just a little 'Hen-Pecked'...heehee!
I have been watching them for a couple years and think people could learn from them. It really is a joint effort for them to scout the nest, build it,(if they don't use one already used before), they both incubate the eggs, hunt for food, etc...It is a joy to watch these magnificient birds up close. Last year I watched them raise 3, unfortunately one was killed in high wires, but the other two are surviving well. They track them and we get to see them in their adult glory. Hope to see them mating and part of the program soon.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Just seen this on the midday news:

Strong quake kills one, injures 19 in Taiwan

A strong earthquake killed one person and injured 19 others in Taiwan on Wednesday as violent shock waves damaged buildings and triggered a blaze, emergency officials said.

The US Geological Survey measured the quake at magnitude 6.0 and said it struck at 10:03 am (0203 GMT), 48 kilometres (30 miles) east of Nantou county in central Taiwan at a depth of 20.7 kilometres.

Taiwan's central weather bureau put the magnitude at 6.1, saying it was the largest quake this year and was felt across the island. Five aftershocks measured from 3.7-4.3 in magnitude occurred in two hours after the main tremor, it said.

The national fire agency said a 72-year-old woman at a temple in Nantou was struck by a wall that crumbled during the quake and died on the spot.

Nineteen others were slightly injured in the same county and the nearby Changhua and Taichung counties.

The quake also triggered a fire in a house in Nantou that injured one person and had since been extinguished, it said.

The agency received five reports of people trapped in lifts during the quake but all found their way to safety.

Cable news channel SET TV showed footage of one woman in Nantou being carried to an ambulance after she was hit in the head by fragments of a ceiling that came loose during the quake.

"I was scared and nervous as the quake reminded me of the deadly September 21 earthquake in 1999, and luckily this one stopped quickly," said Chen Shao-sheng, who works for private Show Chwan hospital in Nantou.

More than 80 people in the hospital's lobby at the time of the quake all rushed out of the building as the contents of cabinets fell out, Chen told AFP.

Nantou county was the epicentre of a 7.6-magnitude quake in September 21, 1999 that killed around 2,400 people in the deadliest natural disaster in the island's recent history.

Taiwan's high speed rail company suspended all trains for more than four hours for safety checks after the quake while the metro system in the capital Taipei was also temporarily suspended.

Many buildings in Taipei swayed while television footage showed some school children in Nantou fleeing their classrooms during the quake as well as supermarket staff cleaned up contents fell from sales racks.

Taiwan lies near the junction of two tectonic plates and is regularly hit by earthquakes.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/strong-quake-injures...

Happy if we have to have any in our Madrid Fault Zone they are 1.+ or 2.+ mag.(For now, lol)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

I was hoping to see a few of you here. I have lousy timing. I am off to have lunch with my sisters and go Wally Worlding for more Easter stuff and we should be done with the Easter festivities for the kids. Then it is on to the menu and goodies we all contribute. Should be a Happy Easter this year. Last year was the first without Mom and it was low key. She loved Easter.

Have a great day. I will check in later tonight and hopefully catch some of you. Meanwhile, I left you something to read.:)

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Howdy strangers! Long time no chat!! I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger around here.

Got the new "critter" moved in, settled in and seemingly quite content to be here. Again I seem to have found a perfect fit for the long timer resident critters. Life is good. Everyone is getting along like they were born together. I don't know HOW this keeps working out for me like this, but it does and I'm not going to question it!!

I've been trying to get back into better physical health the past week and have been taking longer walks outdoors again. Well other than during those "S" days, hehe. It's done wonders for not only my physical being but my mental health and sleeping habits as well. My diet has gone well and honestly I think I'm back on track after that illness struck me down in December.. Man, it knocked my feet out from under me, that's for sure. It's short time until Morels start popping up though and I wanna be ready!! YUMMO to Morels!!!! Does anyone else hunt them too?

Glad to see you back again, Blue. Did I miss Hemp in my catching up? I'll have to backtrack..

Well, it's garbage day. Time to carry out the refuse. I'm lucky enough to even have garbage service where I live and do pay dearly for it. Gotta make sure those guys earn my dollars, ROFLMBO~~

I might be back on later this evening, never can tell around here. It depends on what kind of entertainment the animals are providing. They can be so funny to watch.

May the Lord continue to bless you all just as he has me!!
Have a great day!!!
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

@ Ab; Last summer we had a pair of kildees nesting in the driveway turnaround.(not sure of the correct spelling),they always nest in the gravels. they resemble a sea gull. when you get close to the nest,which ever one is setting will run a few feet,flop around like it has a broken wing to lure off preditars. Well,one hot day in august,I was mowing the yard,It was around 100 degs. the bird lokked like it was roasting. So I went to the shed,got some cracked corn,some bread,and a can lid full of water, put the feed and water about a foot from the nest which had four eggs. then I came back in the cabin,got me a cold drink,went out on the porch,sat down and watched the show ! Don't know what they eat, but its sure not corn or bread. They both worked for at least an hour to permanantly remove every last crumb of bread and corn! they would pick up all that they could in their mouth,fly off with it,and drop it in or next to the pond. They never touched the water,but I could tell they did not like it in their home,So I removed it and they were happy once again! It kind of reminded me of the ole-days ,When people were too proud to take hand-outs...Now days they will ask for it!
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Howdy strangers! Long time no chat!! I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger around here.
Got the new "critter" moved in, settled in and seemingly quite content to be here. Again I seem to have found a perfect fit for the long timer resident critters. Life is good. Everyone is getting along like they were born together. I don't know HOW this keeps working out for me like this, but it does and I'm not going to question it!!
I've been trying to get back into better physical health the past week and have been taking longer walks outdoors again. Well other than during those "S" days, hehe. It's done wonders for not only my physical being but my mental health and sleeping habits as well. My diet has gone well and honestly I think I'm back on track after that illness struck me down in December.. Man, it knocked my feet out from under me, that's for sure. It's short time until Morels start popping up though and I wanna be ready!! YUMMO to Morels!!!! Does anyone else hunt them too?
Glad to see you back again, Blue. Did I miss Hemp in my catching up? I'll have to backtrack..
Well, it's garbage day. Time to carry out the refuse. I'm lucky enough to even have garbage service where I live and do pay dearly for it. Gotta make sure those guys earn my dollars, ROFLMBO~~
I might be back on later this evening, never can tell around here. It depends on what kind of entertainment the animals are providing. They can be so funny to watch.
May the Lord continue to bless you all just as he has me!!
Have a great day!!!
HEY ! you blue-eyed beuttie of an eyeball ! haha! Your starving me to death...We were already picking mushrooms this time last year. Crazy weather just won't give us a break. but I got a feel'n it won't be long now ! Happy Hunt'n !

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Howdy, Rapid. So you like the "new" eyeball? It passes inspection then!! WooHoooo!

Good to "see" you again. I missed all of you guys the last few days. Really I did. This thread is a breath of fresh air.

I sat here for a while, waiting on the garbage truck to come. They've passed me by before and I've had to call and scold them, hehe. So I took a break from the housework with a fresh hot cup of coffee and waited to hear them coming down the road so I could chase them down if they missed me again.. But they made it, so now I'm off to do some household chores.

Take care till later~~
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Howdy, Rapid. So you like the "new" eyeball? It passes inspection then!! WooHoooo!
Good to "see" you again. I missed all of you guys the last few days. Really I did. This thread is a breath of fresh air.
I sat here for a while, waiting on the garbage truck to come. They've passed me by before and I've had to call and scold them, hehe. So I took a break from the housework with a fresh hot cup of coffee and waited to hear them coming down the road so I could chase them down if they missed me again.. But they made it, so now I'm off to do some household chores.
Take care till later~~
NOPE, what a big 'eye' you have! all the better to see me with my dear ! heeheeheee!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been watching them for a couple years and think people could learn from them. It really is a joint effort for them to scout the nest, build it,(if they don't use one already used before), they both incubate the eggs, hunt for food, etc...It is a joy to watch these magnificient birds up close. Last year I watched them raise 3, unfortunately one was killed in high wires, but the other two are surviving well. They track them and we get to see them in their adult glory. Hope to see them mating and part of the program soon.
Oh, I so agree. It's amazing the instincts birds and other animals have. They do not go off and leave their babies endangered in autos with notes attached or not. The males take the initiative to help, no asking. Hehe. Glad to hear that two babies survived last year. We love the Birds;) Thanks for your updates:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Take care till later~~
Just took out trash and put on coffee ten minutes ago. Hehe. I like that eye as well. I've been walking about two miles a week...need to bump it up to three. Are there a lot of morels in Ky? I wish I knew were to hunt. Love mushrooms. Public land is off limits, I know. You enjoy those critters. They sure are lucky to have ya:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> HEY ! you blue-eyed beuttie of an eyeball ! haha! Your starving me to death...We were already picking mushrooms this time last year. Crazy weather just won't give us a break. but I got a feel'n it won't be long now ! Happy Hunt'n !
I love mushroom and gravy with my wild rice. Yummm. You two birds have me licking my chops and no mushrooms in sight. Hehe. Fine day there,Rapidfire. Have a good one;)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

I am an independent, stubborn ole cuss and don't care who knows it LOL I have been out working all morning and still keeping at it even though my cold, arthritic fingers won't hold onto the hammer, nails, drill bit and screws. I keep having to climb up and down the ladder to get the things these fingers drop... But I won't give up and be a crybaby. hahaha Besides, climbing that ladder is good exercise. You folks have a good day, I just came in to warm my fingers and put some more wood in the stove.
back door man

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Rapidfire wrote:
@ Ab; Last summer we had a pair of kildees nesting in the driveway turnaround.(not sure of the correct spelling),they always nest in the gravels. they resemble a sea gull. when you get close to the nest,which ever one is setting will run a few feet,flop around like it has a broken wing to lure off preditars. Well,one hot day in august,I was mowing the yard,It was around 100 degs. the bird lokked like it was roasting. So I went to the shed,got some cracked corn,some bread,and a can lid full of water, put the feed and water about a foot from the nest which had four eggs. then I came back in the cabin,got me a cold drink,went out on the porch,sat down and watched the show ! Don't know what they eat, but its sure not corn or bread. They both worked for at least an hour to permanantly remove every last crumb of bread and corn! they would pick up all that they could in their mouth,fly off with it,and drop it in or next to the pond. They never touched the water,but I could tell they did not like it in their home,So I removed it and they were happy once again! It kind of reminded me of the ole-days ,When people were too proud to take hand-outs...Now days they will ask for it!
today they demand hand outs ,..
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I am an independent, stubborn ole cuss and don't care who knows it LOL I have been out working all morning and still keeping at it even though my cold, arthritic fingers won't hold onto the hammer, nails, drill bit and screws. I keep having to climb up and down the ladder to get the things these fingers drop... But I won't give up and be a crybaby. hahaha Besides, climbing that ladder is good exercise. You folks have a good day, I just came in to warm my fingers and put some more wood in the stove.
HEY ! I'm with YOU, wolfman! they'll have to pry my hammer from my cold,arthritic, dead hands ! never give up ole feller. sounds like you need a good shot of gensein tea,with a little honey and lemon . Good for what ales you my friend...It sure helps me, well, all the coffee and ale-8-ones don't hurt either. haha! Nice weather coming up this weekend, Im sure THAT will help us All.'Have a Goodr'n'!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 74,121 - 74,140 of81,542
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Hyden Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hyden People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••