First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Anyone

Hurricane, WV

#1 Sep 19, 2011
Anyone else not happy with second grade teachers? Too much homework? I heard the words come out of the teachers mouth "Homewrecker Sheet" and admit she knows it causes so many arguments in the home but too bad it's got to be done.

I have other children and they don't have this much homework. The second grade child has more homework in one night than one of the older children has in three nights put together.
Parent

New York, NY

#2 Sep 19, 2011
Anyone wrote:
Anyone else not happy with second grade teachers? Too much homework? I heard the words come out of the teachers mouth "Homewrecker Sheet" and admit she knows it causes so many arguments in the home but too bad it's got to be done.

I have other children and they don't have this much homework. The second grade child has more homework in one night than one of the older children has in three nights put together.
That's more for the teacher to grade on his/her time isn't it? Go to the next parent-teacher conference and voice your concern.
Hurricane resident

Nitro, WV

#3 Sep 19, 2011
Anyone wrote:
I agree. I was just having this conversation with someone today. My 2nd grader has more homework than an older child. It does cause issues. I am all for supporting the school and the teachers but it just really seems excessive. I am home with my children in the afternoons and we work on it. I can't imagine being in a 2 income family and having to do that after work. Then, to beat it all, they had that meeting to construct a study box for when my child has free time. Huh? Not much of that and I am sure not going to insist over the weekend.
Hurricane resident

Nitro, WV

#4 Sep 19, 2011
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
That's more for the teacher to grade on his/her time isn't it? Go to the next parent-teacher conference and voice your concern.
No, it's not extra for the teacher because a lot of it is reading and I have yet to have a math worksheet come back home graded.
Parent

New York, NY

#5 Sep 19, 2011
Hurricane resident wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not extra for the teacher because a lot of it is reading and I have yet to have a math worksheet come back home graded.
Ask the teacher at the next conference where the worksheet is. Nothing wrong with that, they should appreciate your involvement.
Anyone

Hurricane, WV

#6 Sep 19, 2011
Hurricane resident wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I was just having this conversation with someone today. My 2nd grader has more homework than an older child. It does cause issues. I am all for supporting the school and the teachers but it just really seems excessive. I am home with my children in the afternoons and we work on it. I can't imagine being in a 2 income family and having to do that after work. Then, to beat it all, they had that meeting to construct a study box for when my child has free time. Huh? Not much of that and I am sure not going to insist over the weekend.
My second grade child had four homework pages to work on this evening. I agree the box is ridiculous and there is no time for it. Two parents and three children means we can't put all of our focus on one child (second grader) because then the other two will suffer.
2nd grade parent

Hurricane, WV

#7 Sep 19, 2011
Homework is a huge fight every night in our house. My kids cries and I cry because she gets so upset. The amount of homework is crazy. I am all for being involved with my kids and their school work but this is just too much. I do plan on bringing this issue up at the next parent-teacher meeting. We are spending at least 1-2 hours every night!
Hurricane resident

Nitro, WV

#8 Sep 19, 2011
"The 10-Minute Rule" formulated by the National PTA and the National Education Association, which suggests that kids should be doing about 10 minutes of homework per night per grade level. In other words, 10 minutes for first-graders, 20 for second-graders and so on." I knew there was some sore of rule of thumb and found it. Our 2nd graders are doing far more than 20 minutes.
John

United States

#9 Sep 19, 2011
Kids have too much energy to be made to sit still all day while in school and then come home for more of the same. Children need time to play, to burn off energy, develop strong bones and muscles. Most adult work an 8 hour day and then are off. Why do kids have to work such long hours?
Cami

Nitro, WV

#10 Sep 19, 2011
Topix is not the place for this, if you really want change you need to contact the school. What good is this going to do?
2nd grade parent

Hurricane, WV

#11 Sep 19, 2011
Cami wrote:
Topix is not the place for this, if you really want change you need to contact the school. What good is this going to do?
To see if other parents feel the same way. I am glad that someone started this thread. I think the more parents that will go to the school and complain then the better chance of getting something done about it. I have not said anything to my kids teacher because I thought I was the only parent that felt like this but now I know that I'm not the only one.
Hurricane resident

Nitro, WV

#12 Sep 19, 2011
2nd grade parent wrote:
<quoted text>
To see if other parents feel the same way. I am glad that someone started this thread. I think the more parents that will go to the school and complain then the better chance of getting something done about it. I have not said anything to my kids teacher because I thought I was the only parent that felt like this but now I know that I'm not the only one.
I agree. I wondered if it was just me or if others felt the same way. Asking the question is absolutely what this forum, Topix, is all about. I also agree that a block of parents approaching the school doesn't seem like one or two "complainers". Everyone that has responded to this thread has posted thoughtful, educated responses. I have a child older than 2nd grade who is a phenomenal student and he didn't have this busywork. It's just too much and unnecessary for educational success (for a 2nd grader).
Anyone

Hurricane, WV

#13 Sep 19, 2011
Cami wrote:
I started this after careful thought. I haven't mentioned any teachers names and won't. I have more respect for them than that. I wanted to know if other parents feel the same about this and as I can see they do. This is my third child who is in second grade. The oldest didn't go to HTE but my youngest two do. I've already been through the second grade homework drama once and kept my mouth shut and watched my child grow to hate school. I will not set back and watch my youngest do the same. I just wanted to be certain that I wasn't over reacting and I see that I'm not.
2nd grade parent

Hurricane, WV

#14 Sep 19, 2011
Anyone wrote:
<quoted text>
I started this after careful thought. I haven't mentioned any teachers names and won't. I have more respect for them than that. I wanted to know if other parents feel the same about this and as I can see they do. This is my third child who is in second grade. The oldest didn't go to HTE but my youngest two do. I've already been through the second grade homework drama once and kept my mouth shut and watched my child
grow to hate school. I will not set back and watch my youngest do the same. I just wanted to be certain that I wasn't over reacting and I see
that I'm not.
Any ideas how we can approach this tactfully without being some of those parents that are just complaining? My daughter hates school as well this year. It has been a huge struggle with her. She cries and says she wants to quit school! This is second grade and she shouldn't be miserable. She loved school in kindergarden and 1st grade but this year is so much different.
John

United States

#15 Sep 20, 2011
Cami wrote:
What do you mean topix is not the place for this topic? It appears to have brought many parents of like thinking together is support of one another. You must be a teacher and worried your boss might see this.
Now that so many parents know that they have support, I would expect many to get together and make some changes.
Anyone

Saint Albans, WV

#16 Sep 20, 2011
I'll start with an email expressing my concerns. If the homework isn't cut back by my email request then I'll go in person and ask her to show me the curriculum and the required homework assignments. If it's in the curriculum I don't think there's much we can do. If it's not in the curriculum then she needs to make modifications to her lesson plans and cut back on the homework assignments.
2nd grade parent

United States

#17 Sep 20, 2011
Anyone wrote:
I'll start with an email expressing my concerns. If the homework isn't cut back by my email request then I'll go in person and ask her to show me the curriculum and the required homework assignments. If it's in the curriculum I don't think there's much we can do. If it's not in the curriculum then she needs to make modifications to her lesson plans and cut back on the homework assignments.
That sounds good. I will also send an email. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one that feels like this.
2nd grade parent

Hurricane, WV

#18 Sep 20, 2011
Well I won't be sending an email because I just recieved a note from my daughters teacher regarding her progress report. Her teacher wants to meet with me ASAP. Her GPA last year was a 3.75 now it's a 2.75! Something is not right here and I'm glad that her teacher sees this too.
John

United States

#19 Sep 20, 2011
Anyone wrote:
If you have an email address, it would be appreciated if you would share it. The teachers will listen more closely when they receive many emails with the same concerns.
Angie

United States

#20 Sep 22, 2011
Every parent has access to the teacher's email address on edline. I believe there is a link to email the teacher on each class page. Posting a teacher's email on topix is not appropriate! No, I am not a teacher. I am a parent with two children in this school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Grants from hurricane 23 min idk 3
Sidelines Bartender 3 hr WVLady99 5
Serendipity cupcake (Jun '13) 4 hr WVLady99 55
Marcos pizza 4 hr Pizza lover 16
barking dogs 4 hr Court watcher 3
Judge Watkins 4 hr Court watcher 1
Joe Holestein. Countryside contracting. 5 hr Vern 1
Hurricane Dating
Find my Match

Hurricane People Search