Investigation Underway in Alpena

Full story: KSFY-TV Sioux Falls

Authorities in Alpena, South Dakota are investigating an incident at a bar that reportedly left one man dead.
Comments
61 - 74 of 74 Comments Last updated Mar 3, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
woonsocket sd

Mitchell, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2006

Gardner Ks wrote:
Thank you "Alpena" for your short testimonial on Mr.Wieting, I do like what you wrote. And thank you for taking the time to do so. Mr. Wieting will be more than missed, I am sure.
Friend of Daughter, some of these things do matter in my mind if your trying to find someone guilty of murder. If you are not willing to give full details, I will not ask for them, any further. At least not from you. But you must understand the more I press, the more info. I have gotten. I have gotten more out of your last 3 paragraphs, about what happened,(and that is with you trying to give me very little) than all that I have read so far. And thank you for that.
I don't know why I've been so interested in the goings' on of this incident. It's so tragic on both sides,(one moreso than the other). I will still check in from time to time, to see if I can learn more about this, though.
you say you want to know more details about the "goings on" of this incident, so why dont you ask the two arrested for it? the son was the one that started it by biting a patron on the neck. why? ask him maybe he can give you all the gory details. asking why just two men ? because they wouldn't leave peacefylly when asked to, they had to put up a fight with security. another answer for you why are they being charged, because it was because of their hit to elroy that caused him to die. even the doctor said elroy could have lived for 20 to 30 more years without that blow to the chest he got. why don't you ask about his wife. she's very much alone now. no spirit left in her at all. she hasn't even decorated for christmas because all she can think of is her husband, who by the way as a reminder is no longer with us. so now maybe you can answer me this, was it worth it for those two men to come up here? was it worth it knowing now all the heartache they have caused his wife and his friends who check in on his wife to be sure she's okay to make sure she eats and takes her medicine daily. was it worth it to those men to know that the results of THEIR drinking has changed so many lives up here while they are living normally down there with their family and friends around them. Merry Christmas to you too.
woonsocket sd

Mitchell, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2006

whats the matter did u find out more than u wanted to i dont see a reply from u. whats up with that? didnt you like the questions i asked by the way just to let u know his wife is still going its very hard for her she came in the bar for the first time yesterday she cried and cried. shes also sold the bar because she no longer has a ny feelings for it the way she used to i hope this knowledge makes your "friends" there happy too do i sound bitter well i hope to because i am not just for the loss of a good friend and boss but also for what they have done to his wife who happens to be MY best friend. this will be the last i write i sure hope u learned all you wanted to the rest is up to the two men down there and just between you and me i hope like hell they hang em
Gardner Ks

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2007

woonsocket sd wrote:
<quoted text>you say you want to know more details about the "goings on" of this incident, so why dont you ask the two arrested for it? the son was the one that started it by biting a patron on the neck. why? ask him maybe he can give you all the gory details. asking why just two men ? because they wouldn't leave peacefylly when asked to, they had to put up a fight with security. another answer for you why are they being charged, because it was because of their hit to elroy that caused him to die. even the doctor said elroy could have lived for 20 to 30 more years without that blow to the chest he got. why don't you ask about his wife. she's very much alone now. no spirit left in her at all. she hasn't even decorated for christmas because all she can think of is her husband, who by the way as a reminder is no longer with us. so now maybe you can answer me this, was it worth it for those two men to come up here? was it worth it knowing now all the heartache they have caused his wife and his friends who check in on his wife to be sure she's okay to make sure she eats and takes her medicine daily. was it worth it to those men to know that the results of THEIR drinking has changed so many lives up here while they are living normally down there with their family and friends around them. Merry Christmas to you too.
Well I can see that there has been some angry talk since I last looked in on this. I can see that you have alot of questions that need answering. Of course you didn't use "?" behind some of your questions so I can't decide if you just wanted to make statements? I'll start at the top and work my way down, doing the best that I can.1- Because I am asking you,since you seem so eager to write about it.
2-He might have been hungry for blood, you know, like drakula. 3-They were still thirsty. 4- No, looking at what happened, I don't think they would have gone up to S.D. if they'd have known what was going to happen. Or at least not have gone out drinking. The fact of the matter is, many Americans travel to S.D. to pheasant hunt. I go once a year, every year for the past 10yrs. Out of staters are welcomed for their tax dollars, in your state, and thats just the way that it is. This will continue to happen, as long as there are birds to hunt in your fine state. I am very sorry for your loss, but things like this have been happening for hundreds of years. There are risks in life, and your odds of those risks go up anytime a person is around liquor.
I don't go into local bars when I go out of town, because my risk factor goes up because local bar flies don't like out of towners.
So the young one bit someone on the neck. Well that would have to be the first time I have ever heard of the first blow in the fight being a bite on the neck. Sounds to me like the other person started it?
woonsocket

Mitchell, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2007

once again you seem to want tobelieve what you want and not the truth. i told you what happened and you still think a local patron started it. thats typical of you. you've only believe what you've wanted from the start, so why bother asking if you can't see the truth when it hits you in the face. you know something, here's a truth i will state just for you. you seem like a smart a__ with all your cute little answers like dracula and such that i think that you yourself like to play mind games with people. well here's one for you. your not worth talking to anymore. i thought you actually cared but i can see now that you don't so have a good life. my answering days are over
friend of daughter

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2007

Gardner Ks wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I can see that there has been some angry talk since I last looked in on this. I can see that you have alot of questions that need answering. Of course you didn't use "?" behind some of your questions so I can't decide if you just wanted to make statements? I'll start at the top and work my way down, doing the best that I can.1- Because I am asking you,since you seem so eager to write about it.
2-He might have been hungry for blood, you know, like drakula. 3-They were still thirsty. 4- No, looking at what happened, I don't think they would have gone up to S.D. if they'd have known what was going to happen. Or at least not have gone out drinking. The fact of the matter is, many Americans travel to S.D. to pheasant hunt. I go once a year, every year for the past 10yrs. Out of staters are welcomed for their tax dollars, in your state, and thats just the way that it is. This will continue to happen, as long as there are birds to hunt in your fine state. I am very sorry for your loss, but things like this have been happening for hundreds of years. There are risks in life, and your odds of those risks go up anytime a person is around liquor.
I don't go into local bars when I go out of town, because my risk factor goes up because local bar flies don't like out of towners.
So the young one bit someone on the neck. Well that would have to be the first time I have ever heard of the first blow in the fight being a bite on the neck. Sounds to me like the other person started it?
Well it is nice to see that you have again not done your research prior to writing. I thought that we had established what an "ongoing investigation" was all about. YOu would once again be forming an opinion without the benefit of the facts. As an added note the hearings have been public - use your wisdom to find out the FACTS that have been released. Your opinon or what it "sounds like" to you is based on what?
You seem very willing to put the blame on the locals or almost anyone other than the people charged. What knowledge are you basing that on?
Let's be real - the guy BIT someone. After that he hit someone that person died. Why can you not put the blame on the person who struck Mr. Wieting? Maybe you should be a part of thier defense. I would really like to hear you explain how you defend a grown man biteing another person. Most people know by the age of about 3 that is just isn't nice to bite.
You say that you are sorry for the family and the friends of the Wieting family - but you make an absurd attempt at what comedy - by saying that the man charged with killing their loved one was like dracula? It is no wonder these "gentlemen" acted the way they did if that is what passes for compassion in your world.
There are risks in life - no doubt about it. However, once again grown men need to take responsibility for their own actions. Millions of people go into bars or drink every day - if you can't control your self (i.e. biteing and hitting) don't drink. That my friend is what people refer to as being a man and an adult. There have been countless numbers of people served alcohol in that bar - none of them however, are charged with killing a man that happens to be a husband brother uncle father and grandfather.
Since you want to play games - let's engage. If we were talking about your family would you use the same wreckless logic to explain why your loved one was killed? Please, at any time feel free to join the world of reality. Grown men should not be playing in a "sand box". He started it or it was his fault quits being an appropriate excuse for your behavior some where around grade school doesn't it??
Gardner Ks

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2007

I can get to be a bit of a smart a__. Especially when provoked. You have a way of pissing people off. I do care for the truth, but all you want to do is whine. The way you act is just like someone who is covering for someone. Is that why you seem so relunctant to tell? It doesn't matter to you if the real story gets out. The story will get told at the trial. Hopefully the liberal media will shed some truth on this subject for a change, and then maybe I'll get to read about it.

Since: Jan 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2007

friend of daughter wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it is nice to see that you have again not done your research prior to writing. I thought that we had established what an "ongoing investigation" was all about. YOu would once again be forming an opinion without the benefit of the facts. As an added note the hearings have been public - use your wisdom to find out the FACTS that have been released. Your opinon or what it "sounds like" to you is based on what?
You seem very willing to put the blame on the locals or almost anyone other than the people charged. What knowledge are you basing that on?
Let's be real - the guy BIT someone. After that he hit someone that person died. Why can you not put the blame on the person who struck Mr. Wieting? Maybe you should be a part of thier defense. I would really like to hear you explain how you defend a grown man biteing another person. Most people know by the age of about 3 that is just isn't nice to bite.
You say that you are sorry for the family and the friends of the Wieting family - but you make an absurd attempt at what comedy - by saying that the man charged with killing their loved one was like dracula? It is no wonder these "gentlemen" acted the way they did if that is what passes for compassion in your world.
There are risks in life - no doubt about it. However, once again grown men need to take responsibility for their own actions. Millions of people go into bars or drink every day - if you can't control your self (i.e. biteing and hitting) don't drink. That my friend is what people refer to as being a man and an adult. There have been countless numbers of people served alcohol in that bar - none of them however, are charged with killing a man that happens to be a husband brother uncle father and grandfather.
Since you want to play games - let's engage. If we were talking about your family would you use the same wreckless logic to explain why your loved one was killed? Please, at any time feel free to join the world of reality. Grown men should not be playing in a "sand box". He started it or it was his fault quits being an appropriate excuse for your behavior some where around grade school doesn't it??
So what your saying is, the younger of the two just got up and bit someone. The only way that makes since, is if he was trying to get frienly with a woman. Softly bit her on the neck. She screams. Someone comes to her aid. A fight breaks out. Folks just don't go around biting people out of the blue. Now if he bit a guy, I have to assume that words were exchanged prior to the biting. A struggle occured, a kind of wrestling match, and the younger of the two bit the other man. These are the only two sinarios I can come up with. So which one is it?
Bar fights are a nasty place to be. The bar becomes a very hostile environment most of the time. Friends turn on one another. When someone is bounced out of a bar, they don't know it is a bouncer most of the time. They just assume it is someone else trying to kick the shit out of them.
All that I have been saying this whole time, is there has got to be more to the story. The media will not print it. And those of you that really know aren't saying.
Re-cap: Two guys go into a bar, and become very intoxicated. The younger of the two bites a patron of the bar that is sitting there doing nothing, saying nothing. The two from out of town were asked to leave. They weren't ready to leave so they,(the out of towners), started a fight. Security personel ( a person or persons dressed in plain street clothes) try to force (gentle force) the two out of towners to leave the bar. As a last resort, the owner of the bar, tries to help. Knowing full well that these people were just trying to get them to leave, and not to cause them any harm.The two turned on the owner and punched (violently), not in the face,or belly, but in the chest. The out of towners leave.

Since: Jan 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2007

Ok just read in the plainsman. One will be charged with manslaughter the other will not. You folks have always implied that the two of them killed the owner. I just want the truth. Someone was there and saw most of what happened.
Carver County Regulator

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2007

Are you from Chaska, MN or from Gardner, KS? You had better leave these people be. They aren't going to tell you anything. They are grieving and just want some time to vent. To talk about their loved one. They probobly don't know anymore about the incident than you do. It's all just hearsay, anyway! I do think that there is more to it, but they have one side of the story, and they don't see it from a diplomatic view. And why should they? It was their friend that died. What interest do you have in this? Are you friends of the accused? I am going fishing, hope you have a nice day.
Very close to family

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2007

I have been reading this for a while now and I just dont understand why people would just keep writing on here. I just dont understand why people dont understand that the this damn site and the news and all that is just a joke. No one knows the truth but the people that were there and the ones that are part of this. As you can tell they are not talking and that is the way it should be. But the ones that call themselves friends or so called friends would not write on here too.Yes Elroy is gone and boy he is missed in more ways then most of you know unless you are a true friend and family. As far as Carol she is doing the best that she can with what she has. But if you were you a true friend to her, no way in hell talk about her or her family on here in anyway. There is a trial for a reason and that is that. No one knows how it is going to come out and what is going to happen or hell what is going to be said but if you want to know you have to know by now where it is and what time and all that so be there and learn the truth with both families. I know that people are going to talk and that is just part of life and no can change that but as far as I can see it let the man rest in PEACE and the everything come out in trial. Let the families be and let them do what they have to do. It is not fair to the family and that is just the way it is. Would you like it if someone in your family were to die that way and have everyone talk about it every chance they get. I would guess not because I would not want it for my family. I dont want to see the Wieting family having to go through anymore. Just think about this before you want to write something about someone esle family. I just thought I would write about what I thought about this. As if anyone cares.
guest1

Huron, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2007

Gardner Ks wrote:
boy, once the autopsy results came in it kind of put the old kibosh on all the south dakota trash talk. I'd still like the names of the other guys that were in on the fight.(you know, the locals) Or do you get a free pass when your from S.D. when it comes to making trouble.

I m glad I wasn't there, cause i'd probobly be in cuffs too.
The SD Supreme court recently upheld a 175 year sentence for rape, so I would suggest all visitors behave youselves when here and if you can't then just stay home. We don't want or need troublemakers here.
Lori Wallenstein

Garretson, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2008

KANSAS CITY wrote:
<quoted text>PLEASE DON'T JUDGE THESE MEN OR YOU TOO WILL BE JUDGED,PEOPLE WILL TALK AND STORIES GET TOLD AND RETOLD AND WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE IT DOESN'T COME CLOSE TO BEING THE TRUTH.MY HEART GOES OUT NOT ONLY THE FAMILY OF MR. WIETING BUT TO THE ACCUSED MEN AND THEIR LOVED ONES. "GOD BLESS THEM ALL"
Just wanted to know how it can be so easy not to judge. Did you here about Paul's new charges the night before the cival trial in Pierre? Apparently this guy has a drinking and angerment issues!!! DUI, resisting arrest, and assulting police officers?!?!?! And the night berfore you are gong to trial for assult? What just another bad situation for him? I am sure this was not his fault too. Everybody is just picking on this poor good guy. I think it is time for him to grow up. Maybe everybody should stop covering for him and do him some good by getting him the help that he really needs. IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY BOSS ELROY WEITING
random poster

Woonsocket, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

you know your right about the stories being told thing but no stories have been told about them so you know what you can just he was a very good man i knew him all my life i went hunting with him alot!!!! and now i cant cause hes dead and itss all because of those two drunken retards that didi it. so if your going to accuse anybody of judging anyody maybe you should read the comments that are against the owner's family then come and tell us to stop judging them. ok????!!!!
friend

Idaho Falls, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

well i guess you guys are done commenting becuase you know those f*ckers did wrong and they still need to get punished for what they did. and everbody who hes ever commented on this f*cking website knows that. so if your going to tell me that they deserved the bullsh*t sentence that they got. because the so called family of the burns are full of sh*t and they need to realize what happened and get enough of a brain in their head. so if anyone else wants to comment go ahead.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Huron Discussions

Search the Huron Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
East Central South Dakota Still In Need Of Rain Jun 30 gevalia 1
My Voice: Officials chose handout instead of ha... (Aug '10) Mar '14 Doralyn 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Huron, SD (Feb '11) Dec '13 Ana 16
found green stone 1971 Huron High Class Ring (May '13) Sep '13 Debbra 3
find lo ve free here! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Domitila Massenberg 1
Any Pizza Hut employees in the Huron area worki... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Billy Finds 1
bigappol site to help students expatriates (Nov '12) Nov '12 Mark 1
•••
•••
•••
Huron Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Huron Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••