Investigation Underway in Alpena

Investigation Underway in Alpena

There are 74 comments on the KSFY-TV Sioux Falls story from Oct 21, 2006, titled Investigation Underway in Alpena. In it, KSFY-TV Sioux Falls reports that:

Authorities in Alpena, South Dakota are investigating an incident at a bar that reportedly left one man dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSFY-TV Sioux Falls.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
freind of the owner

Mitchell, SD

#1 Oct 21, 2006
my comment on all of this is.... it's bull. not your story. but what has happened in this town. the man that passed was a dear friend to everyone here... it's wrong that this has happened
random poster

AOL

#2 Oct 22, 2006
freind of the owner wrote:
my comment on all of this is.... it's bull. not your story. but what has happened in this town. the man that passed was a dear friend to everyone here... it's wrong that this has happened
It's very sad that all of this happened like it did. I am praying for the owner's family as well as everyone else who was involved. do you know if he died because of the fight?
RUSS COOPER

Tallahassee, FL

#3 Oct 23, 2006
I LIVE IN TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA AND I AM A FRIEND TO THE OWNERS DAUGHTER THAT ALSO LIVES HERE IN FLORIDA. I OFFER MY DEEPEST CONDOLENCES TO THE ENTIRE FAMILY. I NEVER MET HIM, BUT I HEARD HE WAS AN EXTRORDINARILY GREAT MAN, AND I TRULY HOPE THAT JUSTICE WIIL BE SERVED FOR THE UNNECCESARY DEATH OF THIS GREAT MAN.
Nikki Marasco

Tallahassee, FL

#4 Oct 23, 2006
I live in Tallahassee, FL & one of the bar owner's (Elroy Weiting)has been my best friend for 15+ years now. The investigation is still underway at this time. Elroy was an incredible person whom was loved by many, many people. I had the pleasure of meeting him back in September when his daughter, myself & two other friends spent a week with him & the rest of the family. I hope that the entire family gets the justice that they deserve. This is truly a sad & senseless situation. This never should have happened.
Nikki Marasco

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Oct 23, 2006
I also would like to ask (I know I speak not only for myself but for our other friends as well) as one of his daughter's best friend's, that everyone please give the family time & space as they come to terms with this horrible tragedy. I know they all would greatly appreciately this respect that they truly deserve as this is a very difficult time for all.
random person

Plymouth, MN

#6 Oct 23, 2006
what ticks me off is this was a wonderful man in a wonderful community, all people involved are sad and stunned by this whole thing, no one knows what happened, the family deserves justice IF this fight is the cause of Elroy dying until then why are we all assuming,
JRD

Gardner, KS

#7 Oct 23, 2006
Just as all of you are saying that Elroy is a wonderful man, so are the two being charged. They are very loved and respected in our community. No one would ever wish this on anyone. I am sorry for the family of Elroy because this is a total shock. I understand the family is extremely upset however I want everyone to stop assuming that the two being charged would ever hurt someone like what is being said. No one knows the facts, there are two sides to every story. They are not killers so what ever you may read or think you may know, please think of what I have written. They are wonderful people who have a ton of support and love behind them.
KANSAS CITY

United States

#8 Oct 23, 2006
JRD wrote:
Just as all of you are saying that Elroy is a wonderful man, so are the two being charged. They are very loved and respected in our community. No one would ever wish this on anyone. I am sorry for the family of Elroy because this is a total shock. I understand the family is extremely upset however I want everyone to stop assuming that the two being charged would ever hurt someone like what is being said. No one knows the facts, there are two sides to every story. They are not killers so what ever you may read or think you may know, please think of what I have written. They are wonderful people who have a ton of support and love behind them.
PLEASE DON'T JUDGE THESE MEN OR YOU TOO WILL BE JUDGED,PEOPLE WILL TALK AND STORIES GET TOLD AND RETOLD AND WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE IT DOESN'T COME CLOSE TO BEING THE TRUTH.MY HEART GOES OUT NOT ONLY THE FAMILY OF MR. WIETING BUT TO THE ACCUSED MEN AND THEIR LOVED ONES. "GOD BLESS THEM ALL"
Kansas City

AOL

#9 Oct 23, 2006
I am very close family member of the two men being charged.

I would first like to say I am so sorry to the family of Mr Weiting for their loss. This was all a very tragic accident and a shock to everyone involved I'm sure.

These men are not killers. They are both very kind hearted and would have never meant for anything like this to happen. Please remember they are fathers and sons, grandpas and uncles, husbands and friends. Everyone that knows them loves them and will stick behind them through all of this no matter what happens.

The poor man had a heart attack and you have to understand that anything like this could have happened at anytime working in an environment like he did.

I will continue praying for his family and friends as I will ours. <33333
RUSS COOPER

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Oct 24, 2006
AS SOMEONE WHO HAS WORKED IN MANY BARS AS A BOUNCER, I CAN FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW THINGS CAN GET OUT OF HAND. HOWEVER, JUST AS PEOPLE ARE CHARGED WHEN THEY KILL SOMEONE AFTER DRINKING AND DRIVING THESE TWO MEN SHOULD ALSO GET THE SAME TREATMENT AND FACE THE SAME CONSEQUENCES. MAYBE I'M BIASED BUT MY FRIEND LOST HER FATHER. THESE TWO MEN STILL GET TO LIVE. WHERE'S THE FAIRNESS IN THAT?
Kansas City

AOL

#11 Oct 24, 2006
For one, these two men were NOT drinking and driving, It is not the same thing at all. Every time someone dies there does not need to be someone to blame

He died, and 30 other people involved in this fight get to live. In fact, you and I get to live if you want to go by your equation. Is that fair?

As said before... everyone is still assuming. Even the news out there is throwing out assumptions. The autopsy results haven't even been released yet and people are already deciding what consequences should be had.
Nikki Marasco

Tallahassee, FL

#12 Oct 24, 2006
I understand that these people have loved ones as well, but if the investigation that "STILL" underway proves that their actions led to the death of my best friend's father..... I want them to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. They may in general be good people, but their actions spoke otherwise & as grown men, should take full responsibilty for that! How would you feel if the tables were turned & it was your father, son, or brother?
supporters in kansas city

Gardner, KS

#13 Oct 24, 2006
Nikki Marasco wrote:
I understand that these people have loved ones as well, but if the investigation that "STILL" underway proves that their actions led to the death of my best friend's father..... I want them to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. They may in general be good people, but their actions spoke otherwise & as grown men, should take full responsibilty for that! How would you feel if the tables were turned & it was your father, son, or brother?
They did NOT do anything to him, he had a heart attack. From what I have been told he was a smoker, may have had a bad heart, and was not maybe in the best shape of his 52 years of life. The autopsy will prove that they did not do anything to him.
RUSS COOPER

Tallahassee, FL

#14 Oct 24, 2006
CONSIDERING THAT I RECIEVED A PHONE CALL THE DAY AFTER IT HAPPENED AND WAS GIVEN A BRIEF ACCOUNT OF WHAT TRANSPIRED, I WOULDN'T SAY I AM ASSUMING ANYTHING. I WILL NEVER FORGET THE PAIN, HEARTACHE AND ANGER IN MY FRIENDS VOICE AS SHE TOLD ME WHAT HAPPENED.GRANTED I DO NOT KNOW ALL THE FACTS BUT I BELIEVE MY FRIEND. AS FAR AS THE MEDIA IS CONCERNED FROM WHAT I HAVE READ THERE NOT REPORTING THE DETAILS I WAS TOLD. THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE CANNOT RELEASE AT THIS TIME. I DO NOT NEED PEOPLE TO "SHOW ME" WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I AM TOLD BY A CREDIBLE SOURCE - A FAMILY MEMBER WHO IS LIKE A SISTER TO ME. THE FACT THAT THEY DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO HIM IS IRRELEVANT. HE HAS THE RIGHT AS A BUSINESS OWNER TO PROTECT HIS BUSINESS AND HIS PATRONS WHO KNOW HOW TO ACT LIKE CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS EVEN THOUGH ALCOHOL WAS INVOLVED. I HAVE SEEN TOO MANY FIGHTS BREAK OUT IN BARS OVER NOTHING AND THIS WAS JUST ANOTHER SENSELESS ONE. BELIEVE IT OR NOT SOME PEOPLE CAN DRINK AND HAVE A GOOD TIME WITHOUT STARTING A FIGHT. IF YOU WISH YOU CAN TELL MY FRIEND AND HER FAMILY WHY YOU GET TO SEE AND TALK TO YOUR FRIENDS OR FAMILY MEMBERS, BE IT BEHIND BARS OR NOT, AND WHY SHE AND THE REST OF ELROY'S FAMILY HAVE TO VISIT A GRAVE SITE FROM NOW ON.
Daughter of Elroy

White Lake, SD

#15 Oct 24, 2006
Thank you all for your support and prayers for my family at this time- espically the friends in florida. My dad was an amazing man and the world and myself lost a hero when he passed.
As a family we pray for the family and friends of the other people involved. As would have my dad.
The investigation is still underway so all of the specilation is pointless at this time. The facts and the truth are there and as a family we are waiting to hear them as should everyone else.

As my family and I prepare to bury my daddy and a dearly beloved man we do so with heavy hearts and unanswered prayers and we ask that all of you respect him and his life. This "news story" is the hell that we are living. Please respect that as we are not casting blame or pointing fingers that the same respect be shown to my dad. Since I am not attacking the men who were charged - I have no doubt that they as well are loved - don't attack my dad. He was and always will be a hero among men.

Instead of bickering and throwing out attacks - call your dads. That is a phone call I will never again be able to make.
Nikki Marasco

Tallahassee, FL

#16 Oct 24, 2006
Daughter of Elroy wrote:
Thank you all for your support and prayers for my family at this time- espically the friends in florida. My dad was an amazing man and the world and myself lost a hero when he passed.
As a family we pray for the family and friends of the other people involved. As would have my dad.
The investigation is still underway so all of the specilation is pointless at this time. The facts and the truth are there and as a family we are waiting to hear them as should everyone else.
As my family and I prepare to bury my daddy and a dearly beloved man we do so with heavy hearts and unanswered prayers and we ask that all of you respect him and his life. This "news story" is the hell that we are living. Please respect that as we are not casting blame or pointing fingers that the same respect be shown to my dad. Since I am not attacking the men who were charged - I have no doubt that they as well are loved - don't attack my dad. He was and always will be a hero among men.
Instead of bickering and throwing out attacks - call your dads. That is a phone call I will never again be able to make.
Sweetie we love you AND your family very much. It has been a true blessing to just to know you. Words cannot describe how proud & lucky I am to have a best friend like you. We all will always be here for you & your family that we have grown so quickly to love! Never forget, I'm with you in your heart as you are mine!
Kristen

Menomonee Falls, WI

#17 Oct 24, 2006
RUSS COOPER wrote:
I LIVE IN TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA AND I AM A FRIEND TO THE OWNERS DAUGHTER THAT ALSO LIVES HERE IN FLORIDA. I OFFER MY DEEPEST CONDOLENCES TO THE ENTIRE FAMILY. I NEVER MET HIM, BUT I HEARD HE WAS AN EXTRORDINARILY GREAT MAN, AND I TRULY HOPE THAT JUSTICE WIIL BE SERVED FOR THE UNNECCESARY DEATH OF THIS GREAT MAN.
You say unneccesary death yet every paper mentions that he may have died of a heart attack. Please dont just assume that the guys from Kansas City went up there to cause trouble. I feel bad that the bar fight ended one persons life and I feel bad for the family and friends of him. But I also know the men from Kansas City and they are really great people as well with familys that hurt now too.
Kansas City

Kansas City, KS

#18 Oct 24, 2006
This is an awful tragedy for the man that died, as well as the two men that are involved. As everyone in the town that this occured are grieving for the passing of this truly, great sounding person, we too are grieving as well. Please do not judge our family before the facts are found out. These two are very kind, respectful, and just as good people as the bar owner was. As we respect your local death, please respect us and our family as we are going through a difficult time as well.
SD friends

White Lake, SD

#19 Oct 24, 2006
supporters in kansas city wrote:
<quoted text>They did NOT do anything to him, he had a heart attack. From what I have been told he was a smoker, may have had a bad heart, and was not maybe in the best shape of his 52 years of life. The autopsy will prove that they did not do anything to him.
Were you in the bar, personally know him or are you part of the investigation team? Just courious how you would know so much about his heart and his health not to mention knowing what happened in the bar that night.

I was at his viewing today- care to explain the bruises on his face- since you have so much first hand knowledge of events?

The point is that you don't know. They may not have come to SD to start problems but they were in a fight and a man is dead so they DID cause problems. Or is that a fact you wish to argue as well?
KC MO

Gardner, KS

#20 Oct 24, 2006
We love and support the men charged and know that they are wonderful people, no matter what happens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huron Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in South Dako... (Oct '10) Jul '17 CA Escapee 19
Dr Richard Opper Dir Montana DPHHS can't unders... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Don Birkholz 1
Huron crime rate?? (Sep '16) Sep '16 Tucker 1
News East Central South Dakota Still In Need Of Rain (Jun '14) Jun '14 gevalia 1
News My Voice: Officials chose handout instead of ha... (Aug '10) Mar '14 Doralyn 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Huron, SD (Feb '11) Dec '13 Ana 16
found green stone 1971 Huron High Class Ring (May '13) Sep '13 Debbra 3

Huron Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huron Mortgages