Person dead after shooting involving ...

Person dead after shooting involving police

There are 25 comments on the WLUC-TV Negaunee story from Jun 22, 2012, titled Person dead after shooting involving police. In it, WLUC-TV Negaunee reports that:

Read more: Local , Crime , Hurley Shooting , Person Dead in Hurley , 85 Year Old Hurley Resident Dead , Hurley Police Department , Gogebic Iron Area SWAT Team , Hurley Shots Fire , Hurley Shooting Incident HURLEY, WI -- An 85-year-old Hurley resident is dead following a shooting with police on Friday, according to the Hurley Police Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLUC-TV Negaunee.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
courthouse mouse

Sparta, WI

#1 Jun 23, 2012
I am pretty sure that this did not need to happen and I hope that there is a full investigation.
nobody

La Crosse, WI

#2 Jun 23, 2012
Courthouse mouse maybe you should do your job at the courthouse and not worry about what you can't control and know nothing about.
KnowsBetter

Ames, IA

#3 Jun 25, 2012
The Vilas County Sheriff is investigating which means we'll never know what REALLY happened! An objective agency, far removed from Hurley is who should be investigating!
fact man

Marquette, MI

#4 Jun 25, 2012
Vilas co is an objective agency. do you want someone from L.A. or New York to come in? why is everything a "cover up" to you people? get a life!!!
courthouse mouse

Sparta, WI

#5 Jun 30, 2012
Perhaps there are some who could do their job better by getting a little training on effectively dealing with people.
fact man

Townsend, WI

#7 Jul 1, 2012
Maybe the next time the cops get a call for someone with a gun, they could give you dipshits a call. You can handle it, since you all seem to know what to do better than them.
courthouse mouse

Blair, WI

#8 Jul 3, 2012
Yes, I am thinking a complete evaluation of the program we have is in order.
courthouse mouse

Sparta, WI

#9 Jul 4, 2012
Sadly, Andy Griffith has now passed away. He could have taught our current day law enforcement system a thing or two.
atravelinman

Iron Mountain, MI

#10 Jul 10, 2012
This situation could of been resolved without this sad ending of an 85 yr.old mans life.These so called cops in this area need some real training like 6 solid weeks on Livernois ave in Detroit .....then you would have a cop.I hope the cop that pulled the trigger can sleep at night.
fact man

Marquette, MI

#11 Jul 14, 2012
I love how you so called citizens can tear cops apart so easily! When you deal with these kind of things, then you can say anything you want. But until then, go back to your life behind a desk, and keep telling yourself you are safe because of you. Because you know that is a lie. Cops keep you dumb asses safe. Who else comes to help you when you do something stupid. Eventhough they probably think you are a dumbass, they still do it. Like I said before, get a life, and a real job!!!
atravelinman

Iron Mountain, MI

#12 Jul 17, 2012
fact man wrote:
I love how you so called citizens can tear cops apart so easily! When you deal with these kind of things, then you can say anything you want. But until then, go back to your life behind a desk, and keep telling yourself you are safe because of you. Because you know that is a lie. Cops keep you dumb asses safe. Who else comes to help you when you do something stupid. Eventhough they probably think you are a dumbass, they still do it. Like I said before, get a life, and a real job!!!e
Are you one of those cop wanabees that drive around in a auctioned police cruiser?If so...your spotlight isnt working.
courthouse mouse

Holmen, WI

#13 Jul 20, 2012
I am thinking that my "dumb ass" may be a little safer if cops were not trained to shoot targets (so called citizens) so quickly. I wonder how the investigation is coming along.
fact man

Marquette, MI

#14 Jul 21, 2012
Sounds like so called courthouse mouse should do a little more of their job, and stop being the town gossip!!!
Oh, and the investigation is going quite well, thank you!!!
courthouse mouse

Onalaska, WI

#15 Jul 21, 2012
I am glad that the investigation is going well, and that the ugly gossip may be proven to be false.

There is, of course, a useful function for special teams like swat, but it takes special people to do it right, and these types of people may be fewer and farther than we may want to admit. Obviously, when we try to form a local team from a small pool of people in every little community, we may not have anyone who can truly do this job well and the results may be less than ideal. It may be better to have a regional team which is actually capable and mobile which can be dispatched where and when needed. The local keystones can stick to traffic control and seat belt violations. I am thinking that us dumbass so called citizens would be a bit safer, even if we are not able to brag about having a swat team just like the ones in the movies.
fact man

Marquette, MI

#16 Jul 23, 2012
I understand what you are trying to get across, but you have to realize, even if you don't want to, these members of the "little communities" have been to advanced trainings, including the FBI, and also at Fort McCoy. They weren't just "picked" from the litter. They also train as a team on many levels. Levels the public would have no clue about.
Also, the final decision to activate the SWAT team. It comes down the chain of command. So, if it was a Chief of Police, or a Sheriff, the command to enter comes from them. And that command is not made easily. If you understood the circumstance, you may think twice about the comments you make. These people are not "trigger happy", but they do have the right to defend themselves, and other innocent people. That is their job. Do you like when others tell you how to do your job? Police Officer's put their lives on the line, and some don't make it home. But it just sickens me when people like "you" armchair quarterback everything when you have no facts to base it on. Like it or not, you need the police! They are the ones who deal with the shit you don't even want to know about. If you think you could do better, join up! Then have people second guess you. Then you can run your mouth. Until then, keep to your desk job!!!
courthouse mouse

Round Lake, IL

#17 Jul 24, 2012
When our law enforcement brotherhood establishes themselves as a separate, and higher entity than the general public and looks down on them as “dumbass so-called citizens”, it is time to bring them back down to earth. You can be damn sure that when we give people the authority to use deadly force that we will definitely second guess and demand to know the circumstances of when that deadly force is used. Your “leave us alone to do our job” attitude will get nowhere with us, and if this is the product of the current administration, then we will work to change that.

We understand that it can be a difficult job and that there are situations were there is no good outcome and we will will support decisions made by your best abilities at these times, but we will not accept or tolerate arrogance, ever.
fact man

Marquette, MI

#18 Jul 27, 2012
There is no arrogance. But i will defend those who put their lives on the line ever day. You support our troops, don't you? Then if you will support those across seas, then why do you always second guess, and slander the one's who are here, trying to protect you? And "dumbass citizens" if for those who speak before knowing facts. Those who just love to rip Officer's down just because they are Officer's. It's not the Officer's fault you got a ticket at some point in your life, and it's not the Officer's fault you got put in jail, it's yours, and yours alone. Im sick of people always blaming the cops. Own up to it, and move on. There are bad cops, but the number of bad citizens outnumbers them by far. Don't lump all cops together, because one may have pissed you off at some point.
And don't belittle small agencies, just because they are small. There are alot of highly educated people that live in small towns. This does include Officer's. Im sure many could have went onto become something else with higher pay, but they chose this profession to help others. They helped innocent people that day from becoming victims themselves. The elder was not right, and had shown aggression towards the manager. Then went and got another gun. The law states you may have guns, but you are in great violation when you choose to point guns at other people, and make death threats, and possibly try to use that gun. Gun's don't kill people, People kill people. And the cops are their to attempt to protect the innocent ones. If you beleive this to be arrogant, then maybe you need to get your head checked. Because you are wrong.
concerned

Kaukauna, WI

#19 Aug 16, 2012
Courthousemouse
Do you work in the iron county wi court house? Because if you do I believe talking about this subject I
Publicly is against your office rules.
courthouse mouse

La Crosse, WI

#20 Aug 20, 2012
I have no connection with any public department which is involved in the case of killing of a confused 85 yr old sitting in his chair alone in his apartment.
I wonder how that investigation is coming along.
concerned

Marquette, MI

#21 Aug 23, 2012
If you have nothing to do with this case how do you know he was sitting in a chair in his apartment? Only people involved with the case would know what happened at the time of the entry into the room and or saw pictures of the incident. And if you don't have first knowledge of the incident then you shouldn't be commenting on what happened that is how rumors are spread.
courthouse mouse wrote:
I have no connection with any public department which is involved in the case of killing of a confused 85 yr old sitting in his chair alone in his apartment.
I wonder how that investigation is coming along.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Your Taxes Just Might Be Going Up Aug '17 Loons 2
Files! Let's meet up. (Mar '17) May '17 Fred 5
Mercer has a new boss Chairman John Sendra! Apr '17 Judy 2
John Sendra cruises to victory over Kickak Apr '17 Judy 4
sendra wins mercer town chairman Apr '17 Mercer resident 1
Schmidt is a fat looser Apr '17 Smit 2
Hate Groups in Mercer? (Jun '07) Mar '17 Mercerguy 109

Hurley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance