James Koons to run for sheriff

James Koons to run for sheriff

There are 133 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Feb 16, 2010, titled James Koons to run for sheriff. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

Veteran lawman and local businessman, James Koons, has announced he will run for Grant County Sheriff in the June Democratic primary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Robert Brand

Bronx, NY

#1 Feb 16, 2010
Another aspect Mr. James Koons should focus on if he is elected is: " RESTORING THE POLICE IMAGE WITH THE PUBLIC IT SERVES." I read this web site, and I cannot believe what a dislike there is for the Silver City police dept.I know that the majority of those who use this web site DO NOT feel such disdain, BUT there are many who do! I was a cop, and it was NOT easy satisfying the public you serve. I do have empathy for the patrolman. HOWEVER, if changes have to be made to restore the GOOD guy image of police officers, MR. KOONS JUST DO IT !! even if it means getting rid of some non productive,shady,dis gruntled employees. THANKS FOR LISTENING, Robert Brand
watch-n-see

Silver City, NM

#2 Feb 16, 2010
I can not comment on the Silver City Police but the county officers are not very well thought of. In SOME cases it is well founded!! I feel a change is long overdue!! Hope it is for the better!
Ed Conley

Florence, AL

#4 Feb 16, 2010
How many are running for sherrif this time?
Must be a good job eh?
lol

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Feb 16, 2010
lol
FedUP

Silver City, NM

#6 Feb 16, 2010
Look forward to an honorable man enforcing the law. Best wishes go to Mr. Koons.
Plain

United States

#8 Feb 16, 2010
Wasn't he quoted as saying that he WOULD NOTrun for Sheriff when he became an officer in Hurley?? Something to the effect that he is a man of his word and that he was comitted to serving his promised time with the Hurley PD??? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Fly on the wall

United States

#9 Feb 16, 2010
Plain wrote:
Wasn't he quoted as saying that he WOULD NOTrun for Sheriff when he became an officer in Hurley?? Something to the effect that he is a man of his word and that he was comitted to serving his promised time with the Hurley PD??? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
You're wrong.
Grant County law enforcement desperately needs professional leadership. Detectives need training so that they can perform an investigation and write a report that will hold up in court. Most crimes including murders go unsolved under the present regime.
serious

United States

#12 Feb 16, 2010
This is his second time! Im glad he's running!
AM Coffee

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Feb 16, 2010
My neighbor deals drugs right over his fence. We’ll sit and watch as he serves one car right after the other. For his customer’s “convenience” he directs them through my property running a drive-by stop and go drug operation. My requests for assistance from the Sheriffs have been met with nothing but complaints about how the Department only has enough resources to maintain the drug problem in Grant County, they can’t actually fight it and can’t do anything to shut this guy down. What they did do however, was advise him he to go right on using my land telling him there’s nothing I can do about it since he has a history of doing so and thus enjoys a prescriptive easement. Meanwhile, the DEA showed up one day to bust him and while they were waiting for their warrant to arrive acknowledged to me that they,“have a problem with the Sheriffs Department up here.” Yes that’s a quote, you figure out what they meant. This department is so inundated with nepotism, ineptitude, and good ole boy politics it’s essentially useless as a functional agency. If Koons can shake it down, clean house, and actually develop a working Sheriffs department Grant County would become a seriously improved place. Can he do that? Will he do that? I don’t really know. But anyone who thinks the existing structure ought to be preserved is no doubt profiting by its ineffectiveness. So far at least Koons is saying the right things. Of course, that makes him a threat to the old guard drug lords that have been running the show around here. Is it any wonder he somehow lost his last two election bids...
A friend

Deerfield Beach, FL

#16 Feb 17, 2010
I know Mr. Koons and he is actually a great guy!! I met him when i had my windshield fixed at his business. He runs his business professionally. His employees are probably some of the most proffesional ones in Silver City!! So if he plans to have Deputies like his employees than I'm Voting for him!! He is Honest and for the most part it sure seems like he is a threat. I dont see anyone here who seems so worried about the county or him not paying his bills complaining about the unsolved MURDERS that the sheriffs dept has never solved?? sincerly A Friend
been there done that

El Paso, TX

#17 Feb 19, 2010
I think its great the James is running for Sheriff i think that he would do Grant County good.
gee whiz

United States

#18 Feb 19, 2010
Ed Conley wrote:
How many are running for sherrif this time?
Must be a good job eh?
I would ask how many are running for sheriff this time who are backed by the drug cartels out of Mexico.
Frank R

United States

#19 Mar 4, 2010
I dont no if Mr. Koons can get done what he says, but He has the best chance of all the candidates. Its time to elect someone who's not related to all Grant County. It is time to say goodbye to all the bullshit family protection act of Grant County. Good luck Mr. Koons!! It will be hard to overcome the fear of change.
One time two many

Santa Fe, NM

#20 Mar 5, 2010
Mr. Koons has been trying to be sheriff for awhile now. I wonder why? He knows what he's up against. Makes me wonder why he wants to do it. I've seen his work, it's really not that much better then what were going through now. People in this county(Grant County)love to be in control. We need an overhaul big time, look what happen to the last sheriff. He might sound like the President people, WAKE UP!
Correct one

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Mar 5, 2010
You are wrong Koons ran for Sheriff only Once in the last elction and lost against bully. He is Running because he wants to be Sheriff and wants to make a difference. You need to go to a candidate forum and hear him speak then you will see why hes running and you will see who is the best candidate. KOONS!! As for his work you say its not much better. But atleast its better. At least he works! You are rite about one thing we do need a overhaul!!! No matter who runs for or wins for sheriff i give them all some credit for atleast trying.
I Bill T agree

United States

#22 Mar 6, 2010
I cant agree more with Frank R about The bullshit family protection act of Grant County. ITS GOTTA GO! Anyone who is willing to actually change that and its not related to all of Grant County has my vote. I moved her from California several years ago and am astonished at the crap that goes on Here. I wish you luck Mr.Koons! You have a straight uphill battle on your hands.
JOHNY T PUBLIC

United States

#23 Mar 7, 2010
I hope Koons Does win. I personally have seen the same houses in Grant County and around my neighborhood dealing drugs like a candy store for years. I Have called the Police and Sheriff and they tell me they are working on it. They are too damn slow I think 20 years is too long dont you?! Grant County Wake !! Oh unless you are related then just turn your head once more.
Is it a coincidence that every year these same houses get campaign sign for some of the sheriff candidates?
country boy

Silver City, NM

#24 Mar 7, 2010
How many candidates are running for sheriff? Five? Six? And with all but one (Koons) being Hispanic, the vote is going to be so splintered! I would wager Koons has a very good chance of winning the Demo nomination and becoming the next sheriff of Grant County. He could be the first Anglo sheriff since Steve Reese. In fairness to Reese, he won his election running as a Republican against the Democrtic nominee, who I believe was Cleo Lopez. Lopez may have been the incumbent.

On another matter, I tend to agree with community member regarding Mary Ann Sedillo. She should not run again if she wants to avoid a hail of verbal bullets from her opponents regarding the double-dipping fiasco.

Any way, it's going to be an interesting primary election in Grant County.
Johnny

United States

#25 Mar 7, 2010
Will Bobby Ruiz be his undersheriff?.........Just great..........
Samantha

United States

#26 Mar 8, 2010
I think Koons may not be the best of the best. Yes he has a few issues but atleats he is running for the rite reasons. He is the best out of the 4 or 5 candidate NO DOUBT!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 3 hr None 9,985
News City will ask voters to approve bond for streets Nov 17 truth be told 2
News Immigrants find home, future in Deming Nov 13 Immigrant 1
News Couple recounts wilderness ordeal (Sep '09) Nov 12 bullwinkle 24
News Bataan Legion prepares Veterans Day ceremony Nov 8 God bless America 1
News Elementary school to thank Deming veterans Nov 8 Lest we forget 1
News Veteran's Day ceremony planned by groups (Nov '10) Nov 8 Thank you 8

Hurley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance