Pit bull ruling applauded

Full story: The Deming Headlight

The Deming-Luna County Humane Society is to be congratulated for adopting new pit bull adoption rules at the animal shelter.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Jun 27, 2014
another view

Deming, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2011

"And, as per state law, all applicants must agree to sterilize the dogs. "

Not true. At least not at the local Humane Society. Pit Bulls are sterilized prior to them being adopted. What they want them for is breeding new fighters.
Linda

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2011

Pit Bull Terriers have a reputation for being "BAD" dogs. It isn't the dogs that are bad, it is the owners who make a dog bad! Those people who have Pits and think it's entertainment to fight them should have their dogs taken away, be put in jail and never be able to legally own another dog of any breed!

The idea that ALL pit bulls MUST or SHOULD be sterilized is just plain stupid!(Maybe the better solution would be to sterilize the people who abuse dogs).
redandgreenjello

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2011

Judged:

I'm sure it's being done with good intentiosn, but I won't be having anyone inspect my home so I can adopt a dog. Invasion of privacy anyone??
Colleen

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

I am surprised at the people who do not support animals at shelters being sterilized. Really? Euthanization is better? Deming is quite behind the times in not performing this procedure on ALL animals in its shelter. I moved here from Phoenix, where ALL animals in the humane society, county animal control, and animal rescues are altered BEFORE adoption. There is absolutely NO REASON for an animal to remain intact, and you cannot justify such irresponsible behavior in a world where so many animals are put to death EVERY SINGLE DAY. Have a shred of humanity, please, for the sake of the animals.
bad dog

Tularosa, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

All pitbulls should be sterilized. All pitbull owners should have shock treatment and very good insurance. They are a liability. I have yet to meet a good one. They seem to enjoy killing other animals.
cuz

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

bad dog wrote:
All pitbulls should be sterilized. All pitbull owners should have shock treatment and very good insurance. They are a liability. I have yet to meet a good one. They seem to enjoy killing other animals.
well you havent met my pitbull, I have had other dogs in her kennel with her and she hasnt hurt any of them.
Who are you trying to kid

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

bad dog wrote:
What a ridiculous post!
Bad dog

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

cuz wrote:
<quoted text>well you havent met my pitbull, I have had other dogs in her kennel with her and she hasnt hurt any of them.
The only pit bulls I have meet have been the ones killing my chickens, tearing holes in the wire. Not a one time thing either. They killed domestic rabbits in cages, geese, peacocks, ducks all in a fenced in area. They turned my dog into hambuger meat when he tried to run them off from his fenced in yard. Ever see a pack of pitbulls rip your pet up? They run in packs in my neighborhood and they are killers. Once they kill animals and taste blood you cannot stop them. So if you keep yours in a kennel good for you. Pit bulls are a special libality in this area. The owners in my area should not be allowed to own them and these dogs should be put down. Please don't say''report them' as it does no good.A report does not stop a killing spree.
The ''shock treatment'' is for those who buy dogs of this breed in my area and have no fenced area other than a six foot chain to keep them on.That is animal abuse. The ones from the shelter should not be allowed to be adopted unless they are fixed. Go to the shelter and see how many pit bull mix dogs are in the shelter.Too many.
Linda

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

bad dog wrote:
A good one? Are you talking about people or dogs? It doesn't really matter, though. You are wrong about both.
just wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

are these the same people who think we should bring back the mexican wolf to once again run free and do it's thing?
bad dog

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
A good one? Are you talking about people or dogs? It doesn't really matter, though. You are wrong about both.
Please read my other post and hopefully it will clarify why many of these dogs are BAD. I am talking about bad dogs and bad owners of bad dogs.If you have a good dog and are a good owner it does not apply to you as a dog owner.
Pit bulls on the loose

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2014

In the past couple of weeks I have seen 3 pit bulls running around loose in a certain part of town. 2 had no collars or tags on and the other one did. My concern is that with summer here more and more people young and old are out and about walking, exercising, riding bicycles, there are moms with kids walking to the park, moms with kids in strollers, etc., etc. Just the other day in Silver City a woman was attacked by a dog while she was riding her bicycle and then just recently in Las Cruces a man's prize show dogs were mauled by a pit bull. And there have been other numerous incidents sometimes fatal and life threatening. We as a city need to enforce stricter rules on pet owners of pit bulls and all dogs, where these dogs should always be fenced in their own yards and every precaution taken that they can't get out. Also if you own a pit bull there should be a sign on your fence that says "beware of pit bulls". We deserve to live in a safe community and not be caught off guard by these sometimes vicious dogs.
Exodus

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2014

All dogs have bad days just like people.

It's one thing when Barney Fife has a bad day, it's quite another thing when Mike Tyson has a bad day.

It's one thing when a chihuahua has a bad day, it's quite another thing when a pit bull has a bad day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Hurley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hurley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hurley News, Events & Info