Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72037 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70141 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't this all go back to the British drawing all these artificial lines in the desert?
You say the Arabs "were given 78%?" By whom? Who owned it before they did?
I thought it was all Arab land. Isn't that the point? The Jews were nomads and had no land of their own?
The muslims conquered the region from the Byzantines in the 7th century. Relative late comers to the region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquest_...

Well before that, there were at least two periods of Jewish control - supported by archaeology. The period of the exodus (nomadic period), on the other hand, well before that, has scant archaeological evidence.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70142 Mar 25, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
In many ways, the high life in Mumbai exceeds the high life in NY, London or Singapore. In the elite places in Mumbai, money is spent like water, the happening places are fabulous, the houses are among the very best (top 1%) in the world in terms of opulence, style, price and amenities and the hip crowd is jet-setting, global, cool, trendy, handsome, poised and highly educated.
Do you see where a post like this might make you appear materialistic, superficial, supercilious?

Do you think on his deathbed, that anyone ever said "I only wish I had a more opulent house?" "More expensive clothes/"

More likely "I wish I had a better relationship with my son, brother, wife.........." or "I wish I had spend more time helping others..." "I wish I were kinder to others...."

What do you think?

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#70143 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that a no?
I've read 58% of Crimeans consider themselves Russian and are very happy to be annexed.
<quoted text>
I always say that about those who don't agree with me!
I don't know much about any of this.
/67 borders with land swaps sounds good -
rabbee: well i think it was a good thing, that we did not agree with hitler that that 100% of the world was german. and should not of even agreed, that 100% of Czechoslovakia was german.

let's see here: russia, nato europe, and the united states, all agreed to protect the sovereignty of Ukraine if they gave up their nuclear weapons. so that russia could renege and sucker punch the Ukraine. while the united states, and nato stand around with their thumbs up their butts making fudge-sickles. trust us, we love you Ukraine???

so do you really want to know, what i think of any two or more state solution? but don't worry Yesrael, the honorable united states says: we'll protect your sovereignty in any two state solution just like we did the Ukraine. we'll fervently negotiate, while your being all slaughtered and driven into the sea. because you can trust the alleged as palestineans, and the united states to keep their word just like russia did.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#70144 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Thank you.

It would be a very exotic trip for sure.
No, exotic is not the correct word to describe the elite places in Mumbai.

The correct word would be "happening".

Oh, a guy like you who's young at heart will love the high octane pace, ebullience, style and opulence of the elite places in Mumbai.

Welcome, anytime.

Location hidden

#70145 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't this all go back to the British drawing all these artificial lines in the desert?
You say the Arabs "were given 78%?" By whom? Who owned it before they did?
I thought it was all Arab land. Isn't that the point? The Jews were nomads and had no land of their own?
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/what-is...

This article is an interesting analysis on the issue of Jewish/Biblical archaeology and modern politics. By the Smithsonian magazine, which is fairly objective.

Among other issues, it rightfully calls out the tendency of modern day Muslims to destroy and expunge archaeological history in order to fabricate the notion of perpetual ownership of the land as Arab/Muslim.

Location hidden

#70146 Mar 25, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
RED INDIANS ARE FOREIGNERS IN NORTH AMERICA
The Red Indians who settled in North America millennia ago crossed over from Eurasia via the Isthmus of the Bering Sea. So, by this yardstick, the Red Indians are foreigners in North America. By a quirk of fate, the Red Indians were 250 years or so ago replaced by European settlers. Since the past 1/1.5 centuries, a large number of Africans were brought over into North America and since the past few decades crowds of Asians and Hispanics are settling down in North America and going by the tide of emigrants it's apparent that North Americans of European ancestry may well be outnumbered by non-Europeans in time to come. LOL.
That is old theory.

The newer thinking is the native-Americans actually came up from the south. All the recent Paleo evidence since the 1990s supports this.

You need to update your material.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70147 Mar 25, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. So the question is, where do we draw the line in "righting" the historical injustices?
And which injustices are we morally obligated to address? Many a American or European activist has campaigned for a cause on a foreign land while totally ignoring the irony of their own situation.
This is why Putin can't believe Obama has bxlls big enough to lecture him on imposing his will around the world.

His last comments on the US were right on.

He made several good points.

If we needed a warm water port, you know we'd have it by now and we never would have given it up in the first place.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70148 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Has Mumbai been fairly safe since the November 2008 attacks?

That was very bad. 164 killed. Over 300 wounded. It was Pakistan behind it.

Was anyone you know hurt or killed? Did you hear or see any of it?
No, no.

The 2008 attack on the Taj, Trident, Chabad House and other places was a terror attack co-ordinated by international intel agencies including the Indian RAW and Paki ISI and Mumbai underworld. Key Indian politicians abetted the heinous crime.

Unofficially, more than 1500 were killed.

I was saddened at the loss of lives and cried to see the Hotel Taj Mahal Palace and Tower in shambles with fire, smoke and dead bodies everywhere.

I am emotionally attached to the swanky Taj being a client there since infanthood.

Yes, a friend's mother died in the attack in the Crystal Room in the Taj where she had gone to attend a soiree.

Through the yogic sense, I could see many things that're not visible to the ordinary sight....

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70149 Mar 25, 2014
RED INDIANS

"Great Surprise"—Native Americans Have West Eurasian Origins"

Oldest human genome reveals less of an East Asian ancestry than thought...

Nearly one-third of Native American genes come from west Eurasian people linked to the Middle East and Europe, rather than entirely from East Asians as previously thought, according to a newly sequenced genome.

By Brian Handwerk

National Geographic

Published November 20, 2013
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70150 Mar 25, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The muslims conquered the region from the Byzantines in the 7th century. Relative late comers to the region.
Well before that, there were at least two periods of Jewish control - supported by archaeology. The period of the exodus (nomadic period), on the other hand, well before that, has scant archaeological evidence.
Well then why the hell did the Jews not have a country until 1948?

Was it like musical chairs?

Denver, CO

#70151 Mar 25, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well mark twain said it was a very empty barren land, with a few jews and even fewer arabs and most of them bedouin nomads.

but at least there has always been a sizeable ruminant, jewish presence there even during the dispersions and enslavements.

and history indicates, there was a muslim influx land grab after the belfour declaration. even though the agreement between king theisel, and Brittan gave all the west bank to the jews. but the muslims are as good a keeping their promise, as russia, the united states, and nato europe is with the Ukraine.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70153 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you see where a post like this might make you appear materialistic, superficial, supercilious?
This is my natural style since I am exposed to a very luxurious life since birth and have seen the best aspects of the material world.

Everyone like me in the elite places of South Mumbai where I live talks the same.

We can't connect to middle class sentiments, mores or aspirations.

This is why we rarely talk to middle class people and stick to our own kind.

It's only online, like say on this forum, that I talk a great deal with middle class persons, otherwise in Mumbai, I am very reserved and stay put with my own type of crowd.

This is the way it is.

Really, it doesn't usually work out mixing 2 divergent social groups of people.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70154 Mar 25, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
No, exotic is not the correct word to describe the elite places in Mumbai.
The correct word would be "happening".
Oh, a guy like you who's young at heart will love the high octane pace, ebullience, style and opulence of the elite places in Mumbai.
Welcome, anytime.
Is it ok if I wear a Polo shirt, Dockers and Top Siders?

Denver, CO

#70155 Mar 25, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Arab League summit opens with row over Palestinian support
Summit draft resolution 'categorically' refuses to recognize Israel as Jewish state, rejects all pressure on Palestinian leadership' to accept demand.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-450...
rabbee: sounds like a good enough reason, to not recognize any palestinian state. so that neither of you can, recognize each other in your own liquor store.

Location hidden

#70156 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why Putin can't believe Obama has bxlls big enough to lecture him on imposing his will around the world.
His last comments on the US were right on.
He made several good points.
If we needed a warm water port, you know we'd have it by now and we never would have given it up in the first place.
Kerry made a comment right after the Crimean invasion that was so hypocritical it was humorous.

“a Nineteenth Century act in the Twenty-first Century.”

Like we never invaded a country or two over the last decade?

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70157 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you think on his deathbed, that anyone ever said "I only wish I had a more opulent house?" "More expensive clothes/"
No.

You've got the reasoning wrong since you're not accustomed to the kind of luxurious lifestyle that I am talking about.....

People who're been born wealthy don't ever think of getting richer or of slogging hard to outdo rivals.

That's middle class thinking.

Those born into great riches are very comfortable with what they have and most do a hell of a good job in business without aiming for greater material status. It's just that they have the inborn Midas Touch.

Such "gold spooners" enjoy life to the hilt and if they don't get into substance abuse they live a rockin' lifestyle that you can't even imagine - everything is so easy, so secure, so lavish, so high profile, so well-connected with the high and mighty in positions of power like senior government authorities and so much fun.

Location hidden

#70158 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then why the hell did the Jews not have a country until 1948?
Was it like musical chairs?
We did - 2000 years ago plus.

But since then its been a series of conquests, with Jews as the minority. Palestine is at the cross roads of the middle east and a Mediterranean port. Great place to conquer on the way to everyplace else. Musical chairs is not a bad analogy.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70159 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Is it ok if I wear a Polo shirt, Dockers and Top Siders?
The style, verve, wealth, haute wear, latest cars, luxe houses, snobbery, level of educational qualifications and sharp wit will overwhelm you.

You'll feel very uncomfortable and out of place and wish to crawl back into your middle class hole or run to Hugh for comfort.....

(no offense intended)

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70160 Mar 25, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

More likely "I wish I had a better relationship with my son, brother, wife.........." or "I wish I had spend more time helping others..." "I wish I were kinder to others...."
Be detached from everyone and from everything but make the best use of what comes your way and besides do your best at all times if you know that the inexorable law of cause and effect (karma) is always at work in the human consciousness.

Then there's little cause for regret.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70161 Mar 25, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
This is my natural style since I am exposed to a very luxurious life since birth and have seen the best aspects of the material world.
Everyone like me in the elite places of South Mumbai where I live talks the same.
We can't connect to middle class sentiments, mores or aspirations.
This is why we rarely talk to middle class people and stick to our own kind.
It's only online, like say on this forum, that I talk a great deal with middle class persons, otherwise in Mumbai, I am very reserved and stay put with my own type of crowd.
This is the way it is.
Really, it doesn't usually work out mixing 2 divergent social groups of people.
I'm sure I speak for the rest when I say that we are gratified that you have agreed to "slum" here and speak with us.

But seriously, I grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut - a very wealthy town in the NYC Metro area. My family was "upper middle class" but I knew some of the rich kids who lived in the mansions in the "back country" of town - where folks like Mel Gibson, Leon Helmsley, The Trumps, etc lived.

My experience was always that the rich kids were cool and the less well off kids were cool. It was the upper middles (like me) who were the jerks - "in-betweens."

But this is what gets me about you. You seem to talk about it ALL the time!

This is not my experience with wealthy people here in the US. Those born into it tend to more blasé about it all. But you seem endlessly and constantly fascinated by it all.

Do you think the UK royals are still impressed by their own wealth and advantages? Doubt it.

I hope one never loses appreciation for the finer things in life but on the other hand I also think you kind of get used to certain things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Thu ghu 8,813
Deming Police: Is Deming safe to live and trave... (Sep '15) Jul 24 Howdy 8
News WNMU Mariachi Ensemble Wins Awards, Readies For... Jul 23 Chano 3
Salsa Fest Jul 22 I love the southwest 2
News DA Walks Away from what should have been a DUI ... Jul 9 Vera lane 1
Silver City, , but choice of NOT accepting ever... Jul 5 mrtnz1955 2
News Pearson accepts county manager post Jul 2 luna county 2

Hurley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance