Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,697
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Read more

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#69351 Mar 14, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
The National Gallery in Washington DC. a publicly funded institution, is home to a fine collection of Byzantine religious artifacts as well as religious-themed art from dozens of artists, including Rembrandt, Raphael and Rubens. And it's not typically considered to be a religious institution.
yes, but people do not come to WORSHIP in front of those pieces of art. They are accepted as art, religious art, but not as subjects to worship with. Thats the difference. If the cross was just art, I would be fine with it. But it is intended as a memorial, as sacred worship space.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#69352 Mar 14, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
. And it's not typically considered to be a religious institution.
I missed that last sentence. Thats exactly what i was saying. The 911 crosses, as I understand it, is intended as a religious institution. Place for prayer.

My way of dealing with it, as I posted yesterday, is to display it but dont present signage encouraging public worship. If people want to pray in front of it, or eat popcorn in front of it, I could care less.But I hold the line at active marketing. The same for the gorgeous Byzantine artifacts.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#69353 Mar 14, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
The National Gallery in Washington DC. a publicly funded institution, is home to a fine collection of Byzantine religious artifacts as well as religious-themed art from dozens of artists, including Rembrandt, Raphael and Rubens. And it's not typically considered to be a religious institution.
Frijoles pretty much explained it. The cross is not being presented as art or historic artifact. If it were, no issue here. But, no honest person is clinging to that false pretense. The cross is meant as an active religious symbol on "sacred" ground. In essence, they've built an active shrine.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#69354 Mar 14, 2014
Why don't people here take objection to public displays of silly religious symbols like the MENORAH in secular democracies? Even if it is done during HANUKKAH to publicize the bull-shit miracle of the event it should be banned.

Location hidden

#69355 Mar 14, 2014
Candle lighting ceremonies of stupid religious symbols like Menorahs should be banned.

Location hidden

#69356 Mar 14, 2014
There should be no public display of any religious symbol.

Location hidden

#69357 Mar 14, 2014
JEWISH STUDENTS LAG BEHIND

Concessions given to Jewish students in admission to elite or not-so-elite universities in the US should be discontinued when the evidence shows that the SAT scores of Jewish students are inferior and not on par with the top performing students who're overwhelmingly non-Jewish. Besides, at university and at national/international competitions in Math, Physics and Chemistry, Jewish students perform quite miserably and are no where near the top. So, communal quotas in education should be banned. The Jewish founders of the universities, who insist on quotas for Jewish students, should be restrained by law. Admission to university education courses should be based only on merit.

Location hidden

#69358 Mar 14, 2014
Funds gifted by wealthy donors should be received by university authorities without strings attached. If a person wishes to make a huge donation to a university he should so without insisting on communal biases or on anything that will dilute the criterion of fair and free play. Everything should be done in such a manner so as to promote merit, excellence, transparency and accountability.

Location hidden

#69359 Mar 14, 2014
The White House should stop the non-secular practice of hosting religious ceremonies or of celebrating religious festivals. Religion is best left to private practice.

Location hidden

#69360 Mar 14, 2014
Governments who're committed to the noble cause of the separation of state from religion should not pander in any way to the religious sentiments of any group of believers and besides official dealings with the world's theocracies should be reviewed.

Location hidden

#69361 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
...Either way, if the door is to be opened, I strongly believe that any group should have a chance. If they want to locate Satans throne (out of rubble, of course) I am all for that.
You mean like this?...

http://tinyurl.com/kbqdz6m

Location hidden

#69362 Mar 14, 2014
3/14

Happy International Pi Day everyone.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69363 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I have only owned 3 new cars in my life, and probably a dozen or more used cars. However, I have always paid for the new cars in cash - also dont believe in payments.
Agree. Haven't had a car loan since I was a teenager.

If I can't afford it, I don't buy it (other than a house of course). And at least one can deduct that interest.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69364 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Wars have been fought, and people have been slaughtered in the name of religious proselytizing (or what you call, marketing). Totally different history than the car industry. If Nissan had a history of persecuting others, I would advocate banning or at least limiting their outreach activities as well.
In terms of a comparison, I would guard against letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Ever hear of a fatal car-jacking?

But really, if you were looking to convert others to Christianity, which other religion would you begin with? Who makes more sense than targeting those who have already bought into the first part of the book and the underlying story?

I wouldn't bother with atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus., Wiccans....
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69365 Mar 14, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I, too, see this as a pragmatic issue, only, I take the opposite position as you. Allowing one exception opens the door to allowing more exceptions, and it becomes an issue of practicality. Best to avoid the issue all together by not allowing it in the first place.
FWIW - Based on some of the blogs I read, the atheist community (as loosely defined as they are) are split fairly evenly on this issue.
Stephen Colbert did a funny take on this issue, though, of course, I disagree with him this one time (hey, nobody's perfect)...
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...
I love that guy. He mentioned the other night that he was an altar boy for 11 years - must have gotten started young. And it should be noted that he's playing an O'Reilly-like character on his show and doesn't half the crap he says.

But I do understand the slippery slope argument and that's valid. I may look back and wish I had said more "when they come for me..."
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69366 Mar 14, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
And they make the BEST shaving brushes. I have three (brushes, not honey badgers).
I saw a nature show on them that really amazed me.

On of them was in a pen and was placing a long handled metal shovel up against the side at an angle use to escape.

But the shovel was too hot so it doused the whole shovel in a water trough first and THEN placed it an angle do it could walk up and out of the pen.

We had a dog (Beagle) that pushed kitchen stools across the floor in order to get up on the counter to get to food, but it was the cooling the shovel in the water that really impressed me about the fury little future shaving brush!

Location hidden

#69367 Mar 14, 2014
Advance greetings for the next SQUARE ROOT DAY (4/4/16).
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69368 Mar 14, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like this?...
http://tinyurl.com/kbqdz6m
But do they have anymore evidence for Satan then they do for the Easter Bunny?

:))

Count me as agnostic atheist on both.

ps...Ugly image BTW! Singularly unpleasant.

Location hidden

#69369 Mar 14, 2014
pi = 4A/d^2, where d =diameter of a circle. LOL.

Location hidden

#69370 Mar 14, 2014
One of the many images of Satan is of Baphomet stationed against a pentagram. Such terrible vibes radiating from that symbol of Satan posted by the senile dunce, COR. Yuck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Mar 23 Spider 8,657
News Deming Police: Graffiti issue no longer on the ... (Apr '08) Mar 21 spray paint rus 3
which sponsor pulled out of 2015 tour of gila ? Mar 19 A Volunteer 2
News Body of missing Deming man found in Hidalgo County Mar 2 Linda 2
Water upgrade Feb 25 Enchanting New Me... 1
News Grant County residents get a whiff of rotten eggs (Jun '14) Jun '14 Zeke the Geek 1
News GSFWC meeting 071613, final part (Jul '13) Jul '13 good job 1
Hurley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hurley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]