Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72043 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#69359 Mar 14, 2014
The White House should stop the non-secular practice of hosting religious ceremonies or of celebrating religious festivals. Religion is best left to private practice.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69360 Mar 14, 2014
Governments who're committed to the noble cause of the separation of state from religion should not pander in any way to the religious sentiments of any group of believers and besides official dealings with the world's theocracies should be reviewed.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#69361 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
...Either way, if the door is to be opened, I strongly believe that any group should have a chance. If they want to locate Satans throne (out of rubble, of course) I am all for that.
You mean like this?...

http://tinyurl.com/kbqdz6m

Location hidden

#69362 Mar 14, 2014
3/14

Happy International Pi Day everyone.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69363 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I have only owned 3 new cars in my life, and probably a dozen or more used cars. However, I have always paid for the new cars in cash - also dont believe in payments.
Agree. Haven't had a car loan since I was a teenager.

If I can't afford it, I don't buy it (other than a house of course). And at least one can deduct that interest.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69364 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Wars have been fought, and people have been slaughtered in the name of religious proselytizing (or what you call, marketing). Totally different history than the car industry. If Nissan had a history of persecuting others, I would advocate banning or at least limiting their outreach activities as well.
In terms of a comparison, I would guard against letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Ever hear of a fatal car-jacking?

But really, if you were looking to convert others to Christianity, which other religion would you begin with? Who makes more sense than targeting those who have already bought into the first part of the book and the underlying story?

I wouldn't bother with atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus., Wiccans....
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69365 Mar 14, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I, too, see this as a pragmatic issue, only, I take the opposite position as you. Allowing one exception opens the door to allowing more exceptions, and it becomes an issue of practicality. Best to avoid the issue all together by not allowing it in the first place.
FWIW - Based on some of the blogs I read, the atheist community (as loosely defined as they are) are split fairly evenly on this issue.
Stephen Colbert did a funny take on this issue, though, of course, I disagree with him this one time (hey, nobody's perfect)...
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...
I love that guy. He mentioned the other night that he was an altar boy for 11 years - must have gotten started young. And it should be noted that he's playing an O'Reilly-like character on his show and doesn't half the crap he says.

But I do understand the slippery slope argument and that's valid. I may look back and wish I had said more "when they come for me..."
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69366 Mar 14, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
And they make the BEST shaving brushes. I have three (brushes, not honey badgers).
I saw a nature show on them that really amazed me.

On of them was in a pen and was placing a long handled metal shovel up against the side at an angle use to escape.

But the shovel was too hot so it doused the whole shovel in a water trough first and THEN placed it an angle do it could walk up and out of the pen.

We had a dog (Beagle) that pushed kitchen stools across the floor in order to get up on the counter to get to food, but it was the cooling the shovel in the water that really impressed me about the fury little future shaving brush!

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69367 Mar 14, 2014
Advance greetings for the next SQUARE ROOT DAY (4/4/16).
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69368 Mar 14, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like this?...
http://tinyurl.com/kbqdz6m
But do they have anymore evidence for Satan then they do for the Easter Bunny?

:))

Count me as agnostic atheist on both.

ps...Ugly image BTW! Singularly unpleasant.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69369 Mar 14, 2014
pi = 4A/d^2, where d =diameter of a circle. LOL.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69370 Mar 14, 2014
One of the many images of Satan is of Baphomet stationed against a pentagram. Such terrible vibes radiating from that symbol of Satan posted by the senile dunce, COR. Yuck!

Location hidden

#69371 Mar 14, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw a nature show on them that really amazed me.
On of them was in a pen and was placing a long handled metal shovel up against the side at an angle use to escape.
But the shovel was too hot so it doused the whole shovel in a water trough first and THEN placed it an angle do it could walk up and out of the pen.
We had a dog (Beagle) that pushed kitchen stools across the floor in order to get up on the counter to get to food, but it was the cooling the shovel in the water that really impressed me about the fury little future shaving brush!
Have you seen this video?

Smart Crow Solves 8-Stage Puzzle:

http://youtu.be/AVaITA7eBZE

Location hidden

#69372 Mar 14, 2014
former res wrote:
But do they have anymore evidence for Satan then they do for the Easter Bunny?
:))
Count me as agnostic atheist on both.
From their website:

"[Satanic Temple] seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we construct a narrative context for our goals and works... Satan stands as the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness"
former res wrote:
ps...Ugly image BTW! Singularly unpleasant.
I think that was the point. Slippery slope in action...

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69373 Mar 14, 2014
SATAN is simply a distortion of the brain's electrical field that manifests as an emergent consciousness that on infusing the entire nervous system of the body produces abnormal effects which if it radiates into the environment can affect others who come within the range of the individual's energy field.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69374 Mar 14, 2014
If the body's electrical field with persistent patterns of brain-generated sentience survives the death of the body then the discarnate field that was once a part of a living person can affect the energy field of a living individual by merging with the individual's energy field or by setting up a potential gradient with it and then drawing on the person's energy store in act of vampirization. I have had many such bad experiences.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69375 Mar 14, 2014
HUGH, Professor of Science, please come online. Today's international pi day. I'd like to discuss a little Math with your royal highness. LOL.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69376 Mar 14, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
3/14
Happy International Pi Day everyone.
Hey! I was a little slow on the uptake, until I saw this:

Really! It’s official. The date March 14 (that is, 3/14) was designated Pi Day by House Resolution 224 of the first session of the 111th Congress of the United States. It begins “Whereas the Greek letter (Pi) is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter,” and is followed by 11 more whereases before it resolves to support the designation of “Pi Day” to encourage “schools and educators to observe the day with appropriate activities that teach students about Pi and engage them about the study of mathematics.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_scie...

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69377 Mar 14, 2014
REINCARNATION

Everything in nature is recycled in some form or the other.

Rebirth is most likely to occur when a discarnate electrical field with its persistent pattern of neuronal-generated sentience merges with the energy field of a living person with the result being that the living person becomes aware of certain impressions of a past life of the dead person whose disembodied energy field has merged with his own energy field.

Mistaking these past impressions to be his own the living person begins narrating incidents from his alleged past life. LOL.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69378 Mar 14, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen this video?
Smart Crow Solves 8-Stage Puzzle:
http://youtu.be/AVaITA7eBZE
Truly amazing. We better watch our backs.

As in Planet of the Apes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 35 min priceyone 8,864
News Voice of the people (May '14) Nov 15 Jackie 7
News Deming MainStreet puts focus on economic develo... (Jan '10) Nov 15 Jackie 53
News Reward offered in rash of burglaries (Sep '09) Nov 15 nairy 41
News High Five Tour coming to Petro Oct '16 I love the southwest 1
Water upgrade (Feb '15) Feb '15 Enchanting New Me... 1
News Grant County residents get a whiff of rotten eggs (Jun '14) Jun '14 Zeke the Geek 1

Hurley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hurley Mortgages