Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,577
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#67215 Feb 9, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hyper-sensitive nervous system - even the smell of alcohol, at times, makes my nerves shiver and my head ache, if I happen to be in an extra-sensitive state of consciousness on that particular occasion.
LOL

But if from time to time you said you drunk certain alcoholic drinks.

As expected one day claim something, another day you deny it.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#67216 Feb 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The key word here being "before." Which is not to say I've never reconsidered my position. Unlike some of us who were born into a faith, I needed a reason to believe, not a reason to not believe.
And if I weren't buying want generations of my own family was selling me, why the hell would I buy what some Brit was selling. I was agnostic for 30+ years before I ever heard of Dawkins/Hitchins/Bill Maher etc.
When a was teenager I asked my mother, "How do you know all this [Catholicism/Christianity] is true?" She responded, "Faith." I think that's about when I got off the train.
<quoted text>
Not at all. I ask questions of believers. Conversations.
I make no secret of the fact that religion and its adherents fascinate me.
That billions of people around the world hold beliefs without a shred of evidence....not to mention all the strife.....well I think its goddman interesting.
<quoted text>
BS - no proselytizing.
And look, I just found out Frijoles is an atheist who calls himself an agnostic. That's what I was for years!
Now, how's your Adam-12 going?
"See the man at 1523 Lester Street."
Ditto!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67217 Feb 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent about a decade trying to figure out what "holy" meant from my religion.
So simple, so oft used, and yet so complicated to really grasp
That's a tough one I imagine, esp for an agnostic.

In "my" church if it were me I'd think of something very, very important - solemn perhaps. Reverential and/or revered. These are all concepts that I can relate to. I respect any belief held sincerely.

I would think for a true believer that it would mean something more. Or at least different.

Likewise, I'm sure that there are many Jews who would say that they do believe in god and the scriptures. Though even if not every bit literally.(Leaving the practice aspect aside for the moment.)

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#67218 Feb 9, 2014
DIFFERENT ASPECTS OF THEISM:

Key terms - "holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed".

These are purely subjective terms devoid of meaning and lacking in evidence.

To a pagan, a stone is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

To a Hindu a cow is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

To a Jew the Star of David is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

To a Christian a cross is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

To a Buddhist the Tripitaka is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

Ultimately, of what value are these objects or values they impart to the believer?

Do any of these put one in direct contact with higher states of consciousness, or give one the capacity to change the world, or do they impart higher and useful knowledge that can help the world make progress?

These symbols and values are confinements with zero objective value except of giving the believer a little sense of belonging or a superficial feel good factor or a sense of egoism.

Theists will argue and come to blows over what is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed. LOL.

Throw away all these objects and the values they stand for and one is not diminished in any way. On the contrary, it frees up the mind and makes one more independent, more creative, more liberal, less tribal and more responsible.

Location hidden

#67219 Feb 9, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>

But if from time to time you said you drunk certain alcoholic drinks.

As expected one day claim something, another day you deny it.
What?

I am a teetotaler and a vegetarian.

Location hidden

#67220 Feb 9, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you don't know which are the 4 main wine glasses in which champagne is usually served.
Yes, where table etiquette is concerned, you must know the correct way of holding a wine glass and know where on the table cover a wine glass is placed.
In India, yes means I don't know?

So you don't even know where to lay the different kind of glasses on the table?
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#67221 Feb 9, 2014
DIFFERENT ASPECTS OF THEISM:

Key terms - "holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed".

These are purely subjective terms devoid of meaning and lacking in evidence.

To a pagan, a stone is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

To a Hindu a cow is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

To a Jew the Star of David is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

To a Christian a cross is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

To a Buddhist the Tripitaka is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed.

Ultimately, of what value are these objects or values they impart to the believer?

Do any of these put one in direct contact with higher states of consciousness, or give one the capacity to change the world, or do they impart higher and useful knowledge that can help the world make progress?

These symbols and values are confinements with zero objective value except of giving the believer a little sense of belonging or a superficial feel good factor or a sense of egoism.

Theists will argue and come to blows over what is holy, sacred, sanctified, hallowed, blessed. LOL.

Throw away all these objects and the values they stand for and one is not diminished in any way. On the contrary, it frees up the mind and makes one more independent, more creative, more liberal, less tribal and more responsible.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67222 Feb 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
See how much easier it would of been if you were born Jewish? You wouldnt have to worry about faith, only faithfulness.
I dont need a reason to believe, rather I pursue my life in search of the experience of the belief. While searching for the language to express my experience, whatever it may be.
Do you see the difference? In the former one is trying to fit into a box. In the latter, one is creating the box to BEST (but imperfectly) express what you are already perceiving, which is by definition ALWAYS a work in progress.
Dovetailing on my last post, I'd like to know what percent of Jews you think would describe themselves as agnostic?

My gut tells me it's not as high as you will say.

Clearly you're in a better place to know but OTOH I think you may be biased due to your own beliefs or lack thereof.

I do know there are many Christians and Catholics who march to their own drummer.

What % for Catholics the same question? I have no idea.

Many of them may be theist/agnostics "I think there is a god, but I don't claim to know either way." My question to them would be "Why do you even THINK there is god?!!"

Location hidden

#67223 Feb 9, 2014
Usually, champagne is served in any of these wine glasses:

1) Champagne Tulip

2) Champagne Flute

3) Champagne Saucer

4) AP wine glass
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#67224 Feb 9, 2014
FORMER,

You've got the IQ of a 4th Grader.

Not one intelligent line from you.

Location hidden

#67225 Feb 9, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>

So you don't even know where to lay the different kind of glasses on the table?
So, would you lay all the wine glasses in any position and all at once on the table cover if the menu is table d'hote?

Location hidden

#67226 Feb 9, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
1) Champagne Tulip
2) Champagne Flute
3) Champagne Saucer
4) AP wine glass
Make a little more effort and change the 4th with something else...

As expected you didn't know this as well.

Location hidden

#67227 Feb 9, 2014
COR:

You're senile and illogical. Go to bed.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67228 Feb 9, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Comic Con San Diego (the original, not the clone Cons) is in last week of July this year. My daughter and I go every year for the past few years-- it is the Geek Haj. In the past couple of years tickets are getting harder and harder to get and while it used to be almost a certainty you could get tickets if you attended in the previous year, that is no longer the case. Many of last years attendees complained about not being able to get tickets this year -- even for single days.
So, my daughter and I get some friends and we all try to get online together and the first one in buys the tickets. This year, it was my daughter who got in first (at 4AM Australia Time).
Because I love working with models and electronics, We typically do costumes on one of the days. Last year I made a working laser pistol and communicator from the "Star Trek" pilot (in the pilot they didn't have the phaser or black communicator) for a Christopher Pike (Jefferey Hunter) costume. It involved making a wood/foam model, making a mold of that from silicone, casting in polyurethane and acrylic then adding the metal bits I made with a mini lathe and the electronics -- laser diodes and sound modules. This year I'm working on a talking Tom Servo for a Joel MST3K costume.
I heard Mr. Nimoy was doing "OK" -- his words -- and we can take heart in the knowledge that Vulcans live an average of 200 years. Spock isn't even middle-aged yet.
Sounds like you have the spirit and will have a great time yet again.

Only been to San Diego once - Hotel Del/Coronado - probably the best all around weather in the continental US. Fairly mild all the time .. Not to mention a very good zoo.

That's exactly how they tried to get the tix on "Big Bang" show. They were all in a circle online clicking away madly -"Refresh! Refresh!" James Earl saved the day.

I guess someone snapped a pic of Nimoy on oxygen in a wheel chair and that's why he posted the statement, said he just couldn't walk long distances anymore. But good to know he has longevity in his species!

Congrats on getting the tix. No easy feat these days. No doubt you'll have a great time.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67229 Feb 9, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice.
I am a teetotaler.
Why? health reasons?

Do you smoke anything?

Location hidden

#67230 Feb 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

There is a strain of nonduality within Islam as well. Sufism.
Really?

Sufism does not recognize Allah as the Lord Almighty Creator God of the universe.

Sufism recognizes the Absolute (self) beyond the Personal God (Allah) as the highest reality.

So, this is "shirk" and punishable with death under sharia.

Thus, Sufism is not a part of Islam and is not even a heterodox sect of Islam.

Sufism is pure and simple Eastern Mysticism that has much in common with Vedanta.

While the individual self of Sufism is the consciousness in the field corresponding to the heart center, Vedanta goes beyond.

Location hidden

#67231 Feb 9, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>

Make a little more effort and change the 4th with something else...

As expected you didn't know this as well.

1) Champagne Tulip

2) Champagne Flute

3) Champagne Saucer

4) AP wine glass

Why, what's wrong with the 4th wine glass?

I've seen sommeliers serve champagne at times in an AP wine glass.

Location hidden

#67232 Feb 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Why? health reasons?

Do you smoke anything?
I don't like the smell of alcohol and at times my nerves shiver and I get a headache if I get the whiff of an alcoholic drink. This hyper sensitivity of nerves is brought on by the yogic experiences. The hyper sensitivity of my nervous system usually is at a peak during and after a yogic experience when a higher frequency brain state with its concomitant degree of consciousness begins vibrating my system and descends down the spine with its attendant signs of heat, light radiating from the body, internal sound, opening up of the optic and olfactory and auditory nerves and the like...

I don't smoke.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67233 Feb 9, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
No more than any other position.
While arriving at the atheist position (particularly when one is coming from the polar opposite position), does require some thinking and introspection, once that position has been achieved, there really isn't much "active" disbelieving going on. Like Former said, I spend no more time actively disbelieving in a god than I do in actively disbelieving in the Easter Bunny.
<quoted text>
No time, unless you're so inclined to reexamine your position periodically - which is not necessarily required.
There are no time constraints on labels. You either believe or you don't (or you haven't made up your mind yet). The time one spends thinking about their position it is a personal matter. Perhaps one could argue that if you are spending an extreme amount of time thinking about it, then perhaps you haven't selected a position yet, which is perfectly fine as well.
<quoted text>
Pet peeve alert. The word "militant" is often thrown about in a derogatory fashion by people uncomfortable with those attempting to change the status quo - militant atheists, militant feminists, militant gays. Every group has a subset of vocal participants whom I prefer to refer to as activists. I can assure you, for every activist atheist, there are hundreds of atheists that belong to the silent majority. Outside of this forum, my atheism comes up extremely rarely, and when it does, it's not initiated by me.
<quoted text>
I'm no more obsessed with God than I am with the Easter Bunny. What I do concern myself with is the effects that a belief in a god does have - particularly when it affects others.
<quoted text>
No one is forcing the atheist label on you (at least I don't think so). Only you know what your thinking or what you believe, and how strong those beliefs are. In the same respect, don't assume everyone who does prefer to use a label such as atheist is necessarily of the activist variety.
Very well said.

And I've backed off calling Frijoles an atheist.

He should be able to call himself what he wants to.

As should we all.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#67234 Feb 9, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of diseases do you expect from India.
Changing the issue, one of the ten commandments is 'remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Christians understand it as a mandatory to go to church and pray god. Though many of them prefer to sleep, rather than going to church What's the Jewish perspective about it? I know you shouldn't work, but is it a mandatory to go to the sinagogue on Sabbath?
There is no requirement to go to synagogue per se. There is a mitzvah to pray 3 times a day, on any day, and a custom to do it in a group of at least 10. Logically, a synagogue is the best place to go to meet 10 people, especially since Saturday is distinguished by a special litturgy than on the week days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parade of Holiday Lights 21 hr celebrate 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Fri savant 40
Say it in six words (Jul '08) Nov 18 wankamileforakitkat 8,576
Moving ro Deming NM Nov 16 Johny king 1
Demings "Dirty laundry" Nov 8 truth_b_told 1
County plans to clean up Deming (Sep '13) Nov 8 truth_b_told 7
Weed control urged by city officials Nov 8 truth_b_told 2
Hurley Dating
Find my Match

Hurley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hurley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hurley

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:28 pm PST

NBC Sports12:28PM
Larry Fitzgerald officially questionable for Sunday
NFL 1:22 PM
Bobby Wagner (toe) to return to Seahawks' defense
ESPN 1:35 PM
Fitzgerald game-time decision for Cardinals
NBC Sports 3:26 PM
Bobby Wagner set to return for Seahawks - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 4:05 PM
Will Larry Fitzgerald be ready to go in Week 12?