Chamber director pleads no contest

Chamber director pleads no contest

There are 28 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Dec 9, 2010, titled Chamber director pleads no contest. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

The executive director of the Silver City/Grant County Chamber of Commerce pleaded no contest Thursday to a petty misdemeanor charge of simple battery for allegedly kicking a Hurley police officer in the shin in June.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fair

Silver City, NM

#1 Dec 10, 2010
Terrence go back and rethink your headline. Were you there? Felony charge DISMISSED by the district atty. A petty misdemeanor plea with no judgment or punishment. Sentence was deferred and case will be dismissed by the judge because judge believed the defendant IS a law abiding citizen. Sure koons and the hurley police wanted a guilty conviction on anything. She was NOT FOUND GUILTY. Shame on you and your paper for not printing those facts. I am disgusted by your shoddy reporting and continuing controversy in the community. I WONDER if she will sue sun news and hurley police.
just saying

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Dec 10, 2010
Fair wrote:
Terrence go back and rethink your headline. Were you there? Felony charge DISMISSED by the district atty. A petty misdemeanor plea with no judgment or punishment. Sentence was deferred and case will be dismissed by the judge because judge believed the defendant IS a law abiding citizen. Sure koons and the hurley police wanted a guilty conviction on anything. She was NOT FOUND GUILTY. Shame on you and your paper for not printing those facts. I am disgusted by your shoddy reporting and continuing controversy in the community. I WONDER if she will sue sun news and hurley police.
I agree with your comments, except I doubt if she will sue the Sun- News and/or the Hurley Police.

What disturbs me, however, is your observation, and mine, that it appears the Sun-News has been an accomplice with those anti-chamber zealots who have done so much to harm not only the chamber of commerce but also the reputations of the chamber's executive director and many board members, past and present. The newspaper's complicity has not been overly aggressive, but I and others have certainly noted the reporters' somewhat negative slants in their stories regarding the chamber's operations, its executive director, and certain board members.

I suspect the writers have allowed themselves to be used by the anti-chamber/pro-Nicole Robbins crowd who pretty much make up the downtown business district. You have to hand it to these schemers, they have done quite a job on Lola Polley and the Chamber of Commerce. It will take years to get past the damage.
Elkstine

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Dec 10, 2010
Lola has made her own bed. Blame whomever you want, a public figure - the one public figure that we put out to the world as our representative, acted unprofessionally. Everything after that is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
Christine Steele

United States

#4 Dec 10, 2010
Terrance does not write the headlines. They are written in El Paso by those who lay out the page.
Christine Steele
Bureau Chief
Silver City Sun-News
OK LOLA

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Dec 10, 2010
Fair wrote:
WHATEVER LOLA
I Can See for Miles

Palm Bay, FL

#6 Dec 10, 2010
Can we assume she will resign from the Chamber now?
tired of it all

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Dec 10, 2010
she kicked the guy, should be punished. another slap in the face ofthe law abiding citizens.

when will the law breakers be punished?
Fair

Silver City, NM

#8 Dec 10, 2010
tired of it all wrote:
she kicked the guy, should be punished. another slap in the face ofthe law abiding citizens.
when will the law breakers be punished?
When will law enforcement be held accountable for their
bad actions
OK LOLA

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Dec 10, 2010
Fair wrote:
<quoted text>
When will law enforcement be held accountable for their
bad actions
whatever LOLA BITTER BITTER BITTER
Justsomeoneelse

Silver City, NM

#11 Dec 10, 2010
Fair wrote:
She actually pleaded no contest to the petty battery charge, that's part of the court record and verifiable, so the headline wasn't inaccurate.
The 'no contest' plea basically means that you aren't admitting to the offense but you figure the state can probably prove that you did it if it came before a jury. As far as sentencing, a 'no contest' plea is treated by a judge as if the defendant had pleaded guilty or was convicted by a jury. This also is spelled out in the story.
There was a judgment in that she would have to conduct herself as a law-abiding citizen for six months or face the consequences of the battery charge conviction, which is reflected in the story.
There is a question of whether the victims and the state were on the same page as far as the plea agreement but that argument will never be resolved.
What we do know is that Lola Polley signed a plea agreement regarding the incident, she pleaded no contest and received a sentence in compliance with the plea agreement. Her attorney apologized for her 'attitude' during the alleged incident, which is also part of the public record. The charge will be dismissed, though a record would remain if the defendant found herself facing criminal allegations in the future. That's really the gist. And, as far as influences this way or that, I would hope that the Sun-News would carry coverage of any other public figure who faces similar charges as fairly as it has in Lola Polley's case. The charges were made, the outcome was declared, and so it was reported.
Why

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Dec 10, 2010
How many of us would like to slap some sense into our local cops? She kicked a grown man in the ankle and there is this much to say about her temper tantrum? Who is this ridiculous cop and which one of them is more obese?
what

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Dec 10, 2010
Why wrote:
How many of us would like to slap some sense into our local cops? She kicked a grown man in the ankle and there is this much to say about her temper tantrum? Who is this ridiculous cop and which one of them is more obese?
Her of course!!
Christmas is a Holy Time

Silver City, NM

#15 Dec 10, 2010
A time of Peace, Hope, and Love none of
which resides in Silver City
Fair

Silver City, NM

#16 Dec 11, 2010
Justsomeoneelse wrote:
<quoted text>
She actually pleaded no contest to the petty battery charge, that's part of the court record and verifiable, so the headline wasn't inaccurate.
The 'no contest' plea basically means that you aren't admitting to the offense but you figure the state can probably prove that you did it if it came before a jury. As far as sentencing, a 'no contest' plea is treated by a judge as if the defendant had pleaded guilty or was convicted by a jury. This also is spelled out in the story.
There was a judgment in that she would have to conduct herself as a law-abiding citizen for six months or face the consequences of the battery charge conviction, which is reflected in the story.
There is a question of whether the victims and the state were on the same page as far as the plea agreement but that argument will never be resolved.
What we do know is that Lola Polley signed a plea agreement regarding the incident, she pleaded no contest and received a sentence in compliance with the plea agreement. Her attorney apologized for her 'attitude' during the alleged incident, which is also part of the public record. The charge will be dismissed, though a record would remain if the defendant found herself facing criminal allegations in the future. That's really the gist. And, as far as influences this way or that, I would hope that the Sun-News would carry coverage of any other public figure who faces similar charges as fairly as it has in Lola Polley's case. The charges were made, the outcome was declared, and so it was reported.
I disagree, a no contest in this case has nothing to do with the merits of the case. The DA on the record did a no prosecution in exhange for a petty misdemeanor with a deferred sentence/dismisal. Check the case look up. The judge makes the deferred sentence decision, NOT the DA. He did that BECAUSE she has NO RECORD. Law abiding citizen is the common language on any deferred sentence. The attitude comment was a politically polite comment. There was no hearing or prelim. Had there been, the outcome would of been detrimental and not good for the town. There is no way that the victims wanted to be cross examined by Mitchell. Koons quit complaining, a person should not be charged with a felony for simply expressing an opinion. Mitchell's comments on the outcome being best for the community was not printed or noted.
OK LOLA

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Dec 11, 2010
Fair wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, a no contest in this case has nothing to do with the merits of the case. The DA on the record did a no prosecution in exhange for a petty misdemeanor with a deferred sentence/dismisal. Check the case look up. The judge makes the deferred sentence decision, NOT the DA. He did that BECAUSE she has NO RECORD. Law abiding citizen is the common language on any deferred sentence. The attitude comment was a politically polite comment. There was no hearing or prelim. Had there been, the outcome would of been detrimental and not good for the town. There is no way that the victims wanted to be cross examined by Mitchell. Koons quit complaining, a person should not be charged with a felony for simply expressing an opinion. Mitchell's comments on the outcome being best for the community was not printed or noted.
Once again LOLA quit complaining. We all know this is you so take your husbands balls out of your purse and use them an put your name on your comments here on topix! We are all sad it didnt go to trial, but the town won you were the dumb woman who slapped a cop. How much in lawyers fees? I bet about $5000.00. So see so the town won and you lost!! lost money!!
Bottom Line

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Dec 11, 2010
Bottom line is NO one in there right mind would take a plea of any kind if he or she did nothing to break the law. She, Lola kicked a police officer and she knew it. She was guilty thats why she took the plea!! If I was in her shoes and did nothing I would have fought it all the way. SHES A LOSER!!! She did it at she Knows it. Get some prozac Ms.Pollie
Fair

Silver City, NM

#19 Dec 11, 2010
Bottom Line wrote:
Bottom line is NO one in there right mind would take a plea of any kind if he or she did nothing to break the law. She, Lola kicked a police officer and she knew it. She was guilty thats why she took the plea!! If I was in her shoes and did nothing I would have fought it all the way. SHES A LOSER!!! She did it at she Knows it. Get some prozac Ms.Pollie
Guess you would be in jail. Do you have a clue how many innocent people go to jail BECAUSE law enforcements WORD (honest or not) always prevail over Joe Citizen in a court of law. Ever heard of the Brotherhood? I believe her attorney knows the Judicial System and did what was best for all involved. You are the bitter one. Get over it.
Fair

Silver City, NM

#20 Dec 11, 2010
OK LOLA wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again LOLA quit complaining. We all know this is you so take your husbands balls out of your purse and use them an put your name on your comments here on topix! We are all sad it didnt go to trial, but the town won you were the dumb woman who slapped a cop. How much in lawyers fees? I bet about $5000.00. So see so the town won and you lost!! lost money!!
you must be koons isn't that was this was about to cause her embarrassment and cost her alot of money in your twisted mind it appears you did win but not with a guilty conviction
Carmen

Santa Fe, NM

#21 Dec 11, 2010
Now that both camps have spoken, it's time to move on. There are much more pressing matters to be concerned about in this community, let's turn the page.
country boy

Silver City, NM

#22 Dec 11, 2010
Carmen wrote:
Now that both camps have spoken, it's time to move on. There are much more pressing matters to be concerned about in this community, let's turn the page.
I agree. Too bad, downtown folks, you lost another one. Be bitter, be crass, but accept it, you lost another one.

The "Green Chamber of Commerce" can have the Visitors' Center. The rest of us will be watching to see how you folks can perform. We will also be watching the mayor and council to see if they punish you for non performance if the lodgers tax numbers come in below expectations over the next couple of years.

Rumor is that Linda Kay Jones and her "social media" connections in Albuquerque will have the inside track on getting the bulk of lodgers tax monies next time around. Just remember Linda Kay Jones and Albuquerque during the next allocation of lodgers tax. Control of these monies will be moved to Albuquerque. What a shame.

Supposedly, it's a done deal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Federal law enforcement agencies conduct meth s... Sat dmac2030 4
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Jul 29 Thumper 47
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Jul 28 pop 8,699
Drug Infested Graffitti Neighborhoods Jul 27 Gloria 1
News Belen residents balk at websitea s slam on city Jul 27 Number One 1
News City officials set water ordinance Jul 25 Christopher Black... 6
News All ducks are in a row for start of 36th annual... Jul 24 BS Caller 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hurley Mortgages