Tuesday melee may have been payback f...

Tuesday melee may have been payback for weekend drive-by

There are 19 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Feb 16, 2010, titled Tuesday melee may have been payback for weekend drive-by. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

Officers from the Silver City Police Department, the Grant County Sheriff's Office and the New Mexico State Police responded to a report of a gang fight Tuesday afternoon behind the Red Barn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

Ralph

El Paso, TX

#1 Feb 17, 2010
I hope the police photographed and got identification form each of these guys. Too bad they could not establish charges and arest them all. Some cities would have arested them for loitering or something! They sure look like deviots and undoubtedly they will all soon be involved in crimes. Their parents must be so proud of their gang tattoos and clothing.

Given the drive by shooting in the park last year while the mayor was present and this obvious display of local gangs ready to be violent I would think the local communities need additional police staffing. All Silver City needs is for an incident during the chocolate festival this weekend or during the blues festival and the tourist trade could permanently disapear. The roudy patrons at the Buffalo bar right in the heart of the old town already scare tourists.

If all these guys aren't already involved in crime I will eat my hat.
just saying

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Feb 17, 2010
Ralph wrote:
I hope the police photographed and got identification form each of these guys. Too bad they could not establish charges and arest them all. Some cities would have arested them for loitering or something! They sure look like deviots and undoubtedly they will all soon be involved in crimes. Their parents must be so proud of their gang tattoos and clothing.
Given the drive by shooting in the park last year while the mayor was present and this obvious display of local gangs ready to be violent I would think the local communities need additional police staffing. All Silver City needs is for an incident during the chocolate festival this weekend or during the blues festival and the tourist trade could permanently disapear. The roudy patrons at the Buffalo bar right in the heart of the old town already scare tourists.
If all these guys aren't already involved in crime I will eat my hat.
Ralph, the chocolate festival was last weekend.
mom of 3

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Feb 17, 2010
you have to be very alert going anywhere in this town . we tried to take our kids to the penny park last weekend and there was a group of guys going to fight with bats and rocks and my kids were very scared and we had to leave because of this!!!!!!!!!!how sad we cant even enjoy our parks because of these people im very angry and very sad because of this
Ralph

El Paso, TX

#4 Feb 17, 2010
OOPS! I guess I missed the chocolate festival.

I might have also mentioned the pregnant girl who attended a gang fight! I would assume she had been screaming and cursing to the extent of exhaustion and that is why she had to be driven off in an ambulance. What kind of a citizen will she raise her child to be given her demonstrated idiocy?

As recently as only about 70 years ago in this part of the country there would have been a Sheriff who would have given these creeps until sundown to leave town and never return. At least the law officers who responded prevented this gang fight from happening and they calmed everyone down - they deserve credit for that. Hopefully Silver City will look at passing some law they can use to jail the guys (and pregnant women) who show up for a future gang fight.

Drive-bys and gang fights better be a big wakeup call for a community that relies on tourism and a reputation for a peacefull lifestyle. Silver City has been making national top ten lists for its climate and lifestyle and as a good retirement community. That could disolve in a heartbeat and then there goes property values and prosperity.
lmao

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Feb 17, 2010
this town hs gone to shi# getto meth town
david

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Feb 17, 2010
time to start looking for someplace else to live.
Ron

Silver City, NM

#7 Feb 17, 2010
Gangs in a small town... what a bunch of wannabes.
Big John

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Feb 17, 2010
Did You no that the sheriffs department handled this & it occured in the county in NORTH HURLRY they blew the investigation. They arrested the suspect but the case was dropped today for lack of evidence. We want these guys to capture 3 murderers these guys cant even solve a ten piece puzzle with kermit the frog on it!! Its time to get a new Sheriff with some Brains & Balls!
reason

Silver City, NM

#9 Feb 18, 2010
The sheriffs department is part of a mexican drug cartel. They SUPPORT the gangs that are loyal to that cartel.
ugh

Safford, AZ

#10 Feb 18, 2010
This story is kinda confusing. the reporter leads off by saying there was a gang fight invloving 20 individuals. Yet in the second paragraph the reporter points out that the fight never got physical.
Websters Dictionary describe a fight as: "to contend in battle or physical combat; especially : to strive to overcome a person by blows or weapons b : to engage in boxing"
And before anyone starts accusing me of being a gang member I'll add that I seriously doubt they were gathering for afternoon tea.
I just think it's important that when someone writes a story they do so in a way that is not so blatently contradictory of itself. Not to mention it makes the reporter and the paper look like buffoons
Tina

United States

#11 Feb 19, 2010
mom of 3 wrote:
you have to be very alert going anywhere in this town . we tried to take our kids to the penny park last weekend and there was a group of guys going to fight with bats and rocks and my kids were very scared and we had to leave because of this!!!!!!!!!!how sad we cant even enjoy our parks because of these people im very angry and very sad because of this
Same thing happened to us at Fox Field. This town is not safe. These gangsters are home grown. If the pregnant girl's child survives it's own childhood it will more than likely become a gangster. That's what we raise here. Why do you think we have the highest rate of teen pregnancies in the country?
gee whiz

United States

#12 Feb 19, 2010
reason wrote:
The sheriffs department is part of a mexican drug cartel. They SUPPORT the gangs that are loyal to that cartel.
Amen! This will ultimately affect tourism. The Sheriff's Dept is infected with officers who are involved in the drug trade. Something has to be done. Any ideas out there?
Silver Sally

United States

#13 Feb 19, 2010
gee whiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen! This will ultimately affect tourism. The Sheriff's Dept is infected with officers who are involved in the drug trade. Something has to be done. Any ideas out there?
The police department is also corrupt. Our only hope is the FBI.
Donna Reed

AOL

#14 Feb 20, 2010
VOTE!! That's also your power. If you don't like the candidates, find some new people and get them on the ballot. Read NM State Law and find out what you can actually do as a citizen. I get the frustration and all. And another thing. This town isn't any more corrupt or disgusting than just about anywhere else. There's always crap going on no matter where you live. Be glad this place isn't like Albuquerque or Phoenix.
mom of 3

Santa Fe, NM

#15 Feb 20, 2010
Tina wrote:
<quoted text>Same thing happened to us at Fox Field. This town is not safe. These gangsters are home grown. If the pregnant girl's child survives it's own childhood it will more than likely become a gangster. That's what we raise here. Why do you think we have the highest rate of teen pregnancies in the country?
yeah how sad !!!!
William Davis

United States

#16 Feb 21, 2010
Donna Reed wrote:
VOTE!! That's also your power. If you don't like the candidates, find some new people and get them on the ballot. Read NM State Law and find out what you can actually do as a citizen. I get the frustration and all. And another thing. This town isn't any more corrupt or disgusting than just about anywhere else. There's always crap going on no matter where you live. Be glad this place isn't like Albuquerque or Phoenix.
After reading the Silver City Topix, I disagree with your apathetic assumption that Silver City is not as bad as anywhere else. Per capita it is just as bad or maybe worse considering it's size in comparison to the level of crimes committed. You can not make life safer or better in your community when you liken it to large cities hundreds of miles away.
FRM

United States

#17 Jul 17, 2010
It is true that it was not a gang fight. There was only one gang present. What transpired was members of Sur-13 were attempting to run a family out the neighborhood the gang claimed. The night before members of Sur-13 fired rounds in to a vehicle driven by a relative of family that was the target of the gang harrassement. No one at the house being attacked is or has ever been a gang member. I know the family. I they do not start conflicts, but they do not submit to gang itimidation. The Police rather than protect them, well, they actually assist in the gang intimdation. It does not help when when members of the Police and gang members are related.
FRM - Grant County NM

United States

#18 Jul 17, 2010
The Pregnant girl was not part of the gang. Her home was being assauted by the gang. Sur-13 the gang responsible for the melee, will intimidate and harrass any one they please with the knowledge that the police will be cooperative.
Al Reine Jr

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jul 19, 2010
Try going to the authorities and politicians running this town and bring up the subject of gangs. Watch how fast they jump into denial.

It doesn't matter if these vermin are locally-grown gangs or they migrated here from somewhere else. They are STILL gang bangers and we need to get rid of them. Unfortunately, the ACLU and other liberal people living in this area and upstate in Santa Fe are more concerend with gang banger rights than they are with the rights of honest citizens. When you recruit police from the same populace that the gangs belong to, of course you are going to get gangs in the police. Just as in Arizona where the federal governemnt isn't doing it's job of stopping the illegal immigrants, our local police aren't doing their job of stopping the gangs. And just like in Arizona, it's going to end up with private citizens protecting themselves, their neighbors, and their properrty. At this point I don't care if you call it a Citizens Action Group or it's old term of Vigilante. It needs to be done if we don't want to end up cowering in our houses afraid to go out to the mailbox.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 18 hr Library 8,894
Local Politics Do you approve of James R. Marshall as Mayor? (Mar '12) Apr 24 bewildered 5
News Voiers' Park plan includes pond Apr 18 John 6
News Police release statement on take down of juvenile Apr 18 John 4
News More streetlights installed on Bullard Street, ... Apr 8 Nice 1
News Community Easter Egg Hunt is Saturday (Apr '14) Apr 5 KimiBeuchat 8
News New Mexico airline service threatened if White ... Mar '17 lambert 1

Hurley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hurley Mortgages