MainStreet dreams: Views of a bustling downtown unveiled by DPAC

Full story: The Deming Headlight

Imagine a thriving, landscaped plaza in the alley behind Palma's Italian Grill, 110 S. Silver Ave.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Nov 30, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bette Waters

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

I was at the presentation. I was exciting to think we have the tool the University left with us.
I have a suggestion that will cost little money, no government funds and make an immediate impact.
The lovely little park on Pine Street between the Family Dental building and the new Photo Shop with the trees, benches, shade, will be opened during the day courtesy of the owner of the photo center and the city management.
There is water there, a drip system. I challenge community members and/or local garden clubs to plant flowering plants right now to enhance and invite the public into this little haven right on our main Pine Street.
THE FARMER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

I truly wish the Main Street project the best of LUCK...
But this is what you are up against...

As long as we have leaders (Mayor's / Managers) who violate Life Safety Codes, Building codes, Fire codes and think nothing ever happens here in Luna County, oh a State Fire Marshall who looks the other way, we will have death traps (living world church) with no required parking or ADA access!

With leadership like this the only change we will see is when their is a tragic loss of life in the downtown hub, oh yea nothing ever happens in Deming... why worry...

Does anyone remember the Great White concert? The Kentucky Supper Club? The MGM grand in Vegas? All of these resulted in large losses of life due to code violations... And in each case the persons who signed the permitts ( building officals, Fire officials, Mayors and Managers)were held liable to the tune of millions of dollars...

Good Luck Good Old Boys, oh yea nothing ever happens in Deming..........
Old Timer

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

Jonathan - thank you for all your fine work. I remember a time when the downtown was bustling with activity - and with your fine leadership and enthusiasm, I feel it can happen again!

It wouldn't take all that much to make Gold Avenue an attractive main street. What we, the citizens of Deming, need to do is to get behind you with our support and encouragement. We need to be POSITIVE, not negative, for a change. We need your good leadership to continue. PLEASE keep up the good work, you are a breath of fresh aire!
LCDC Jailer

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

Old Timer wrote:
Jonathan - thank you for all your fine work. I remember a time when the downtown was bustling with activity - and with your fine leadership and enthusiasm, I feel it can happen again!
It wouldn't take all that much to make Gold Avenue an attractive main street. What we, the citizens of Deming, need to do is to get behind you with our support and encouragement. We need to be POSITIVE, not negative, for a change. We need your good leadership to continue. PLEASE keep up the good work, you are a breath of fresh aire!
Amen.
lbh317

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

Judged:

Let's get real. Before jumping into a project, which tries to revive already failed business on Pine st., look at cities that have already tried this revitalzation effort and check the success rate. Why would anybody want to spend money at stores that have much higher prices than Wal-Mart? Also, you can fund this project by confiscating all the drugs that pass through Deming on the Columbus Hwy. Oh, I guess that wouldn't work, because by stopping all the drug traffic the whole town of Deming would become a tumbleweed ghost town. Yeah right, Deming is a great place to live! Get your collective heads out of your.....
Bette Waters

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

Judged:

It is an attitude that makes a place for one's self, good, bad, whatever. I am replying to you because, I think you missed the point. A downtown walmart or even a competitor is not what main street is about. It is about the finer things in life, such as a meal--La Palma's Restaurant as an example. Their pecan chicken salad on sour dough bread with sweet potato fries is unmatched anywhere. When the weather is good, one can eat it outside under a fabulous, old, old, fig true.

As far as drugs go, the only drug problem the United States has is a population of people with the money and desire to buy drugs. If that goes away or the money dries up, drug problem gone.
There is not a drug problem because Deming is close to the border of Mexico.

Your comment had a slight tone of bitterness. Why? Did you have a bad experience here? Let's talk everyone, opens doors.
lbh317 wrote:
Let's get real. Before jumping into a project, which tries to revive already failed business on Pine st., look at cities that have already tried this revitalzation effort and check the success rate. Why would anybody want to spend money at stores that have much higher prices than Wal-Mart? Also, you can fund this project by confiscating all the drugs that pass through Deming on the Columbus Hwy. Oh, I guess that wouldn't work, because by stopping all the drug traffic the whole town of Deming would become a tumbleweed ghost town. Yeah right, Deming is a great place to live! Get your collective heads out of your.....
Randy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

Judged:

are you really that naive about the drug situation ?
Bette Waters wrote:
It is an attitude that makes a place for one's self, good, bad, whatever. I am replying to you because, I think you missed the point. A downtown walmart or even a competitor is not what main street is about. It is about the finer things in life, such as a meal--La Palma's Restaurant as an example. Their pecan chicken salad on sour dough bread with sweet potato fries is unmatched anywhere. When the weather is good, one can eat it outside under a fabulous, old, old, fig true.
As far as drugs go, the only drug problem the United States has is a population of people with the money and desire to buy drugs. If that goes away or the money dries up, drug problem gone.
Your comment had a slight tone of bitterness. Why? Did you have a bad experience here? Let's talk everyone, opens doors.
<quoted text>
Tyler

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

Judged:

To come full circle, I'd just like to remind everyone that Deming is where WE live! Whether you're "stuck" here, or want to be here - it's time we came together and made this place worth living in. Deming MainStreet has already begun to do a fantastic job of increasing awareness of downtown issues....more issues are being addressed everyday! And while it may be true that the City and County officials have not always been the most supportive, it's time we as citizens took back what we want in our town.
If we want a hustling and happening downtown - let's get out of our cars and make it happen. If we want Deming to succeed it will! Let's all stop by the MainStreet office and see what we can do to help, because good, bad or ugly this is our town - and it's our responsibility to "fix" it!
LCDC Jailer

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

Judged:

Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
So you mean the drug problem is exclusive to Deming? WOW, we poor small town folks would have never figured that one. I am glad to hear other places do not have a drug problem.

It amazes me how people hate Deming yet they can't wait for a Deming post so they can try and share some caca with the rest of us, but no thanks you can keep it.
Randy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

something must be wrong with your eyesight, i didn't say anything about the drug situation being exclusive to deming.
LCDC Jailer wrote:
<quoted text>
So you mean the drug problem is exclusive to Deming? WOW, we poor small town folks would have never figured that one. I am glad to hear other places do not have a drug problem.
It amazes me how people hate Deming yet they can't wait for a Deming post so they can try and share some caca with the rest of us, but no thanks you can keep it.
Bette Waters

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Judged:

Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am not naive about the drug situation. But, you cannot dispute the bottom line. No customers, no drug sales, no drug sales, no broken borders or laws. I am putting the blame for the drug problem on the drug users.
BUT, how did Main Street Deming turn into a discussion of drugs in the United States? The Executive Director of the program is a creative genius, and if Main Street can succeed, he is the man to lead it.
Randy, I am assuming you no longer live in Deming, but what I have seen so far, local government is behind Main Street, and the Main Street Board is made up of energetic Demingites.
Stay in touch.
Bette Waters

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Judged:

Tyler wrote:
To come full circle, I'd just like to remind everyone that Deming is where WE live! Whether you're "stuck" here, or want to be here - it's time we came together and made this place worth living in. Deming MainStreet has already begun to do a fantastic job of increasing awareness of downtown issues....more issues are being addressed everyday! And while it may be true that the City and County officials have not always been the most supportive, it's time we as citizens took back what we want in our town.
If we want a hustling and happening downtown - let's get out of our cars and make it happen. If we want Deming to succeed it will! Let's all stop by the MainStreet office and see what we can do to help, because good, bad or ugly this is our town - and it's our responsibility to "fix" it!
Love you, man! Well said!!
Bette Waters

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Judged:

Bette Waters wrote:
I was at the presentation. I was exciting to think we have the tool the University left with us.
I have a suggestion that will cost little money, no government funds and make an immediate impact.
The lovely little park on Pine Street between the Family Dental building and the new Photo Shop with the trees, benches, shade, will be opened during the day courtesy of the owner of the photo center and the city management.
There is water there, a drip system. I challenge community members and/or local garden clubs to plant flowering plants right now to enhance and invite the public into this little haven right on our main Pine Street.
WOW! did we strike a cord, or what. SO FAR, no volunteers to spruce up the little park I mentioned. Muscle and mouth now that is a winning combination!!
Harry

Clovis, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Bette, I'm shocked that no one has picked up the ball and ran with. What a great idea to have planted flowers around the park. If more folks had your type of committment to our community Deming could, and would be a real gem. Thanks for being involved!
Bette Waters wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! did we strike a cord, or what. SO FAR, no volunteers to spruce up the little park I mentioned. Muscle and mouth now that is a winning combination!!
Harry

Clovis, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Yes, kind of the wrong topic for a discussion on the sale and use of Illegal Narcotics. But seeing as how Randy has opened the door, and that you Bette have walked in and responded I’ll do the same:
While we certainly cannot lay the blame at the feet of those who supply what others demand, we at the same time cannot lay the problem entirely upon the users. Along with this we cannot hold the suppliers harmless, least we do the same for all rapists, murders and other assorted criminals. The key word is of course ‘criminal’. It’s quite easy for us to pass laws, however it’s quite a more stringent affair to enforce them. Few would ague the point that rape should in fact be defined as a criminal act. Often the crime leaves a battered, severely injured person in it’s wake. Nobody wants to be raped or murdered, so I believe such laws to be just and warranted. When we look at Narcotics however, and the laws pertaining to those deemed ‘’Illegal’’ I believe the ground to be less firm. The War On Drugs has long been designed to focus on that of the suppliers, albeit snaring up untold numbers of users along the way. Many of which have been classed as criminals, and often sentenced to many years in the federal and state prison system.
Perhaps Bettie we would do better to revisit these laws, and what should and what should not be classed as a crime, and the depth of that crime? We might also do a much better job at understanding, and perhaps even accepting in some cases the reason those who use these drugs do so? I believe it to be a very complex problem, and not one which we can simply cast blame upon the suppliers, as too those who use.

Harry
Bette Waters wrote:
<quoted text>
Bette Waters

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Judged:

A concise description of drugs as we know them. A concise and honest debate about drugs is called for in our Congress. I am leaning toward letting them fall into the mode used for alcohol. Can't be any worse, could it?
In the meantime, wanna plant some flowers in the park?
Randy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

very interesting read, thanks harry
Harry wrote:
Yes, kind of the wrong topic for a discussion on the sale and use of Illegal Narcotics. But seeing as how Randy has opened the door, and that you Bette have walked in and responded I’ll do the same:
While we certainly cannot lay the blame at the feet of those who supply what others demand, we at the same time cannot lay the problem entirely upon the users. Along with this we cannot hold the suppliers harmless, least we do the same for all rapists, murders and other assorted criminals. The key word is of course ‘criminal’. It’s quite easy for us to pass laws, however it’s quite a more stringent affair to enforce them. Few would ague the point that rape should in fact be defined as a criminal act. Often the crime leaves a battered, severely injured person in it’s wake. Nobody wants to be raped or murdered, so I believe such laws to be just and warranted. When we look at Narcotics however, and the laws pertaining to those deemed ‘’Illegal’’ I believe the ground to be less firm. The War On Drugs has long been designed to focus on that of the suppliers, albeit snaring up untold numbers of users along the way. Many of which have been classed as criminals, and often sentenced to many years in the federal and state prison system.
Perhaps Bettie we would do better to revisit these laws, and what should and what should not be classed as a crime, and the depth of that crime? We might also do a much better job at understanding, and perhaps even accepting in some cases the reason those who use these drugs do so? I believe it to be a very complex problem, and not one which we can simply cast blame upon the suppliers, as too those who use.
Harry
<quoted text>
Tyler

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

Perhaps we should all stay on topic...this all started because of MainStreet - let's get back there in more ways than one!
Foul

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2009

Judged:

Like you even know what Amen means. Foul piece of garbage LCDC.
LCDC Jailer wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen.
youngblood

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2009

Bette Waters wrote:
Great Idea, I second that!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pine-Spruce St. merger project is completed 8 min Not everyone happy 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr Frijoles 68,909
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Tue Insect Trust 26
Mimbres Valley woman still missing Aug 25 Insect Trust 6
To ban or not to ban - the future of plastic ba... Aug 24 American Citizen 10
Say it in six words (Jul '08) Aug 23 NMx 8,475
You text, you drive, you pay Aug 17 Alexian 3
•••
•••
Hurley Dating