Birmingham's Mayor in Gangland Shootout

Birmingham's Mayor in Gangland Shootout

Posted in the Huntsville Forum

CNN Headline News

Forsyth, GA

#1 Dec 3, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham Mayor William Bell was the target of Friday night gunfire that led to a shootout on Interstate 59/20 between the shooting suspects and his security detail, and said he stands 100 percent behind his security officers and their actions. "This was an event directed at me,Ē Bell said at City Hall. "My person and my Escalade were targets."

"I can't go into detail because that's part of the investigation." As for whether his security detail did the right thing, the mayor had this to say: "Their initial reaction was to 'get those gangstas' and in fact they did that as the vehicle looped back around. We could have just as easily driven off, I think the situation demanded that we defend the mayors pride."

The shootout happened about 2 a.m. Saturday on the interstate at the 22nd Street exit. Bell and his security detail were on the way home from the upscale Wine Loft gentlemanís club downtown and driving along Eighth Avenue North. The mayor's vehicle, a Cadillac Escalade, stopped at a traffic light in the 300 block of Eighth Avenue North as the entourage of eight Cadillacís headed toward the mayor's College Hills home for an afterparty.

Mayor Bell then noticed a Lincoln Town Car across the intersection from their car, facing the mayor's Escalade. A man was sitting on the sill of the opened passenger's window, wielding a stolen 9mm automatic handgun. The black man, dressed in dark clothing, a skullcap and gloves, opened fire. Twenty to thirty shots were fired and hit the mayor's SUV. The mayor's security officers continued down Eighth Avenue North. In the meantime, the Town Car looped back around, and was now back in front of the mayor's Caddy again, firing shots a second time.

The mayor's Escalade chased the Town Car onto I-59/20 northbound, eventually turning on their bright lights. The suspects' vehicle crashed into a concrete guardrail after being blinded by the high beams. The security officers got out of the car, and gunfire erupted towards the Town Car. A man and a woman in the Town Car were struck. A third suspect was shot dead in the head.

Birmingham police officials said today that no investigations are underway. As of this afternoon, one suspect is dead and two remain hospitalized. Charges will be filed if they live. Police officials have declined to identify anyone involved, and they wonít be making any public statements about the incident. Bell said he and his security team were in a high-speed chase. "I doubt if any of the vehicles got below 135 miles per hour,'' he said. When the suspects' Town Car crashed, he said, his officers shot them. "They began to see thugs get out of their cars as we rolled up on the scene and we gots toward that vehicle'' Bell said. "I think the fear on my part and the security team's part was that someone would go up to that vehicle and then be shot by the smebbers inside. There were individuals in there that were prepared to use gun bullets." "To allow someone to be as blatant and bold as they were and not act, that would send the wrong message to kids in the hood,'' he said.

Bell said his security detail told him to duck and cover. "I was told we were gonna get down and boogie, and you know when all this was going on, booty dancing sometimes gets the best of you,'' he said. "Everything happened so quickly; I didn't have time to rap. Adrenalin takes over,'' the mayor said. Bell said the ordeal has made him more determined than ever to, "make sure I be safe, and to make sure the message goes out that anyone seen committing crimes against the mayor of The Magic Citay will be addressed immediately in the head with gun bullets." Bell said this incident shows, in part, why a black ghetto style mayor needs security. "The fact that they were willing to put their lives on the line to protect my life speaks volumes to those in the projects."

--

CNN - we've got gay reporters Anderson Cooper & Don Lemon
"Don's in Anderson's Pooper Lemons deep!"
William

Gadsden, AL

#2 Dec 3, 2012
WTF? Now wonder "The Magic Citayyy" is as screwed up as it is! Look at what a joke of a mayor they elected! Glad I don't live anywhere near that cesspool!
trayveon martini

Marietta, GA

#3 Dec 3, 2012
yoe yoe yoe !
bling blang blong !
tha majic citay be off da hook !
CNN Headline News wrote:
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Birmingham Mayor William Bell was the target of Friday night gunfire that led to a shootout on Interstate 59/20 between the shooting suspects and his security detail, and said he stands 100 percent behind his security officers and their actions. "This was an event directed at me,Ē Bell said at City Hall. "My person and my Escalade were targets."
"I can't go into detail because that's part of the investigation." As for whether his security detail did the right thing, the mayor had this to say: "Their initial reaction was to 'get those gangstas' and in fact they did that as the vehicle looped back around. We could have just as easily driven off, I think the situation demanded that we defend the mayors pride."
The shootout happened about 2 a.m. Saturday on the interstate at the 22nd Street exit. Bell and his security detail were on the way home from the upscale Wine Loft gentlemanís club downtown and driving along Eighth Avenue North. The mayor's vehicle, a Cadillac Escalade, stopped at a traffic light in the 300 block of Eighth Avenue North as the entourage of eight Cadillacís headed toward the mayor's College Hills home for an afterparty.
Mayor Bell then noticed a Lincoln Town Car across the intersection from their car, facing the mayor's Escalade. A man was sitting on the sill of the opened passenger's window, wielding a stolen 9mm automatic handgun. The black man, dressed in dark clothing, a skullcap and gloves, opened fire. Twenty to thirty shots were fired and hit the mayor's SUV. The mayor's security officers continued down Eighth Avenue North. In the meantime, the Town Car looped back around, and was now back in front of the mayor's Caddy again, firing shots a second time.
The mayor's Escalade chased the Town Car onto I-59/20 northbound, eventually turning on their bright lights. The suspects' vehicle crashed into a concrete guardrail after being blinded by the high beams. The security officers got out of the car, and gunfire erupted towards the Town Car. A man and a woman in the Town Car were struck. A third suspect was shot dead in the head.
Birmingham police officials said today that no investigations are underway. As of this afternoon, one suspect is dead and two remain hospitalized. Charges will be filed if they live. Police officials have declined to identify anyone involved, and they wonít be making any public statements about the incident. Bell said he and his security team were in a high-speed chase. "I doubt if any of the vehicles got below 135 miles per hour,'' he said. When the suspects' Town Car crashed, he said, his officers shot them. "They began to see thugs get out of their cars as we rolled up on the scene and we gots toward that vehicle'' Bell said. "I think the fear on my part and the security team's part was that someone would go up to that vehicle and then be shot by the smebbers inside. There were individuals in there that were prepared to use gun bullets." "To allow someone to be as blatant and bold as they were and not act, that would send the wrong message to kids in the hood,'' he said.
Bell said his security detail told him to duck and cover. "I was told we were gonna get down and boogie, and you know when all this was going on, booty dancing sometimes gets the best of you,'' he said. "Everything happened so quickly; I didn't have time to rap. Adrenalin takes over,'' the mayor said. Bell said the ordeal has made him more determined than ever to, "make sure I be safe, and to make sure the message goes out that anyone seen committing crimes against the mayor of The Magic Citay will be addressed immediately in the head with gun bullets." Bell said this incident shows, in part, why a black ghetto style mayor needs security. "The fact that they were willing to put their lives on the line to protect my life speaks volumes to those in the projects."
--
CNN
Craw Dawg

United States

#4 Dec 5, 2012
Dis mayor beez da man!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Honest Opinions about Racism 4 hr Scott Schultz 2
Child Support And Protection Orders 9 hr ThomasA 2
News Trump to campaign with Luther Strange in U.S. S... Tue ThomasA 5
Eve Mustonen, Berto Smalls Sep 15 ICE 3
Marty Irons at Southeastern Freight Sep 8 doyounow 1
pig eats and reads in the menroom Sep 8 nope 5
Bridge Street Monaco Gang Shooting Sep 7 Moe Brookes 7

Huntsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance