Central Church of Christ in Huntsvill...
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#41 Apr 24, 2009
Sam wrote:
What most of you have failed to see is you need to look to schripture for true salvation. I am a member of a C of C here in Huntsville. I assure you there is no brain washing or cult like activites. There are some CofC's in town that are very hell fire and brimstone acting and will through the book at you at every little thing. Most of these churches have failed to preach about grace. The C of C is still recovering from the saying "we are the only ones going to Heaven"
The cOC is not a denomination that "says" anything. In fact, it is not a denomination. Christ's church can be recognized no matter what it is called just as a duck can be recognized for what it is by the way it looks and acts.

A person either belongs to the church (Kingdom) established, built, and bought with blood, by Jesus the messiah (or Christ), or they don't. If they don't they're simply not in a saved condition according to scripture.

This Kingdom was pointed to throughout the O.T. and during Jesus' personal ministry and it began soon after his ressurection when Peter preached in Acts 2.

We are told how to enter Christ's church (His body/kingdom) and we are instructed throughout the N.T. on how the church should act/be operated/managed etc. Denominations have taken man's teaching and added to/taken away from these teachings(some "Churches of Christ" may have done so too).

Any church following man's teachings or belonging to a man-made church or denomination are in danger of not following God's will as He has instructed us to do over and over by countless lessons throughout the old and new testaments.
Ronnie

Dallas, TX

#42 Jun 4, 2009
Matt wrote:
Growing up over the years over many places I have had a lot of opportunities to expand my growth in a lot of areas in my life,...especially spiritually.
I'm 23 years old and started to go to a church of Christ when my father married my stepmother in '97. As a non-church-going yet God believing Easter Sunday baptist child in the earlier part of my life and having experienced a larger portion of the world in the first third of my life(thanks Dad for being a Navy guy) I had a deep belief instilled in me about God nonetheless.
I believe its a sense of extreme sheltered-ness and closed mindedness that people have by living in a localized spot for too long of a time. I mean if you stay in one area your whole life it may not allow you to accept new ideologies as easily and in this case allegedly extremely legalistic traditions passed down from generation to generation that were not allowing the spiritual growth of potentially new believers.
I was once a victim of the scolding by elders telling me I was going to go to hell if I didn't straighten up at another Church of Christ in my life as a rebellious teenager....They missed the point of showing me Christs love...Instead they decided to scare the "HELL" out of me and hope that would work.
Well for being stubborn and not giving to craps of what people's opinions of me were...I went down that dark road of sin,folly,and self fulfilling-destruction.
I got carried away in the ways of the world for a good while and I'm starting to come back to my senses and being mature about how to get a handle on my life.
Yet it helped give me a "BIG PICTURE" perspective about church,God, and everything religious...well for that fact...."RELIGION" sucks...I would much rather have a relationship with Jesus than a religion with him...
but getting to my point...I actually plan on going to Central Church of Christ this Friday with the college age groups and am going to try to experience the worship service that they offer there. But I would love to leave you with some things to think about!
3 main things I want to point out.
#1God was a very indignant and jealous God,...but he had a loving side to, and we as Christians should accept the sinner and not the sin if he/she is willing to give everything that they can to try to follow the Lords will....You'll attract more flies with a spoon of honey that with 2 cups of vinegar
#2 Jesus Hated legalism...I mean he had the most dificult times with Sadducees Pharisees and the scribes....How in the world are we trying to be any different from those people if we shun those who are trying to come to know Christ and the only example of Jesus is a self righteous Christian that shuns sinners?
For ye are the light of the world and the salt of the earth ....if the salt has lost its savor what good is it?
#3 If you are going to make a judgement call about a church....the worst thing to do is say slanderous things like a church is like the occult....Of course they may have some old-fashioned religious ways....but that is no means to slanderize the people that go there.I bet you they are really good people.
If you think you know more about Jesus....then show them through your loving actions...not your mean words.
Maybe they truly believe that how they worship is truly right....If so study up on the word and lovingly let them know you love them...thats all you can do.....And for you to make fun of someone for following for what they truly believe is right and to not confront them is well .....It is lame and pretty freaking weak.
If you truly care about Jesus and God....show love and say...hey I see it this way...
Because the bible can be interpreted in so many different ways.
-L8rz people
Well I actually left the coc because of the legalism. I realize there are some good ones out there though.
Open minded Christain

United States

#44 Jun 7, 2009
Far as I am concerned most churches are somewhat cultish, I personally wish these mega churches would go away. What happened to community? Now its all just a tightly ran scam. I will worship in a fellowship with my close brothers. Don't fall for the scam.
Ronnie

Dallas, TX

#45 Jun 9, 2009
Most of the small coc's are indeed very cultish and is why they do not grow. The mega churches have siphoned members from the small ones because they have more to offer, mainly the Jesus of the bible not the fictitious plan of salvation of these cults.
Smallone

Columbus, GA

#46 Jun 10, 2009
Ive known central coc members who have tried to introduce me to their membership but I figured it wasn't really for me. They told me that they are the only true christians as well as a few other rules of a sort that I found scary. I guess they are ok but I will not become a member. I did get the feeling of a cult like nature. Since I did not join them they don't even say hello much anymore. Saban fan sounds a lot like them. Do they get money or some kind of bonus for recruiting people?
Saban fan

Birmingham, AL

#47 Jun 11, 2009
Open minded Christain wrote:
Far as I am concerned most churches are somewhat cultish, I personally wish these mega churches would go away. What happened to community? Now its all just a tightly ran scam. I will worship in a fellowship with my close brothers. Don't fall for the scam.
Interesting statement from "open minded".:)
WWWdotTHEGODSCAM dotcom

Huntsville, AL

#49 Aug 24, 2009
I went to this church for about a week as a child. My parents were scolded because I sang MISSISSIPPI MUD in class, a harmless but non religious song. They left right after that.
As a local non-religious rationalist today, I have to both laugh and cry at the energy being spent debating NONSENSE! Think of all that time and brain power could do for the cause of the REAL world, science, education, social progress. Religion is truly the bane of man.
"Priests...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live.-Thomas Jefferson, April 11, 1820"
Not a COC fan

United States

#50 Aug 24, 2009
Sam wrote:
What most of you have failed to see is you need to look to schripture for true salvation. I am a member of a C of C here in Huntsville. I assure you there is no brain washing or cult like activites. There are some CofC's in town that are very hell fire and brimstone acting and will through the book at you at every little thing. Most of these churches have failed to preach about grace. The C of C is still recovering from the saying "we are the only ones going to Heaven"
What do you mean by "recovering from" the "we are the only ones going to heaven"? My in-laws are COC. When my husband was saved into a different denomination, my father-in-law told him he was going to hell! This was a only a couple of years ago. When my 10 yr old daughter was baptised, they wouldn't attend. What does that say about COC? Not a church I would be affiliated with. Oh, just a little background...before I chose what church to attend, I went to several different denominational churches. I wasn't "raised" in a certain church. I chose the one that I felt was truest to the bible. Not saying which one I chose, because I feel everybody should check the different denominations before making their own choice.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#51 Aug 31, 2009
Not a COC fan wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by "recovering from" the "we are the only ones going to heaven"? My in-laws are COC. When my husband was saved into a different denomination, my father-in-law told him he was going to hell! This was a only a couple of years ago. When my 10 yr old daughter was baptised, they wouldn't attend. What does that say about COC? Not a church I would be affiliated with. Oh, just a little background...before I chose what church to attend, I went to several different denominational churches. I wasn't "raised" in a certain church. I chose the one that I felt was truest to the bible. Not saying which one I chose, because I feel everybody should check the different denominations before making their own choice.
There are no denominations in the Bible. No divisions preached in the bible, only unity. If we are to be unified, we can only unify around the Bible, right? I would be interested to know what aspect of a cOC christian's belief is unbiblical but is "biblical" in your denomination. Please share.
Not a COC fan

United States

#52 Sep 1, 2009
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no denominations in the Bible. No divisions preached in the bible, only unity. If we are to be unified, we can only unify around the Bible, right? I would be interested to know what aspect of a cOC christian's belief is unbiblical but is "biblical" in your denomination. Please share.
The "we are the only ones going to heaven" is the one that I am referencing here. I agree, there are no denominations in the bible. Personally, I feel we should be rid of them. However, I do understand that is how people differentiate between their beliefs from others. Personally, I have had really bad experiences from COC followers that I am NOT going into on this forum. Just know that I am not the only one. I have spoken to MANY people that have had the same experiences.
SRndls

Columbus, GA

#53 Sep 1, 2009
My boss is a COC member who tried real hard to get me to attend COC here in Huntsville AL. She became hateful to me due to my rejection of her insistance for me to view her as a church leader. She had no time for anyone who does not "see the light" almost as if she represents a cult like organization. She tried employee alienation, defimation of character, anything to get me to change my mind. Oddest religious fanatic I've ever had the misfortune to meet. I did some research, which is how I found the entries in this forum. Looks like shes not the only one
Saban fan

Birmingham, AL

#54 Sep 2, 2009
Not a COC fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The "we are the only ones going to heaven" is the one that I am referencing here. I agree, there are no denominations in the bible. Personally, I feel we should be rid of them. However, I do understand that is how people differentiate between their beliefs from others. Personally, I have had really bad experiences from COC followers that I am NOT going into on this forum. Just know that I am not the only one. I have spoken to MANY people that have had the same experiences.
"Our beliefs" don't really matter do they (our opinions).?.? Yet they are what divides us into denominations. So, I'll ask again what aspect of a cOC christian's belief is unbiblical but is "biblical" in your denomination. Please share why you cannot be united with one from the cOC faith?

Personally, I've known folks within the cOC that I don't particularly enjoy, but the same could be said for some people from probably most of the demoninations that exist. I know many within the cOc and many outside of the cOC that I really enjoy being around!! All Christians are on a journey and many are further along in that journey than others. Why judge an entire biblical belief by a believer's human actions? If you do this, do you not unjustly judge all people with that belief??
mlgilmore2

Harvest, AL

#55 Sep 2, 2009
Charles wrote:
I wish cities in Alabama spent half as much on infrastructure and beautification (of roadways and such) as the religious crackpots do on their churches.
Look who's talking-California is one of the most beautiful,rich in resources states and you're being held prisoner by wacko environmentalists and having rolling blackouts-wish you'd take care of your own state and leave us alone.
Not a COC fan

United States

#56 Sep 3, 2009
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Our beliefs" don't really matter do they (our opinions).?.? Yet they are what divides us into denominations. So, I'll ask again what aspect of a cOC christian's belief is unbiblical but is "biblical" in your denomination. Please share why you cannot be united with one from the cOC faith?
Personally, I've known folks within the cOC that I don't particularly enjoy, but the same could be said for some people from probably most of the demoninations that exist. I know many within the cOc and many outside of the cOC that I really enjoy being around!! All Christians are on a journey and many are further along in that journey than others. Why judge an entire biblical belief by a believer's human actions? If you do this, do you not unjustly judge all people with that belief??
I have already stated the reason why I don't like the COC. I have already been thru this whole "beliefs" thing with others of your denomination. As I stated, I'll not get into that here. However, I will ask this...why are you so eager to receive an explaination from me? Let me think. Oh, I know I know...you want to brow beat me into submission with your beliefs! You want to argue your side. Been there, done that. Won't happen again. I am not trying to challenge nor convert you, why are you trying to do so to me? I feel if you are happy as a COC, then good for you. I, personally, will never attend another COC. Enough said.

Since: Aug 09

Charleston, SC

#57 Sep 3, 2009
I worked for a Jehova Witness person once and was chastised for worshipping demons because I attended a new age spirituality church. It became his mission to get me fired...He would lecture me on not be "humble" enough and I would see him spying on me from around corners and equipment at work. When I threatend to go to human resources he laughed and told me that they'd believe him because he had worked there a long time. The spookiest thing was to see his car drive by my house. There was another person at work he didn't like either. Eventually both of us loss employment...I believe that he orchestrated this. One one hand I was relieved to get away from this nut; on the other, losing my job has had devestating consequences.
Saban fan

Birmingham, AL

#58 Sep 7, 2009
Not a COC fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I have already stated the reason why I don't like the COC. I have already been thru this whole "beliefs" thing with others of your denomination. As I stated, I'll not get into that here. However, I will ask this...why are you so eager to receive an explaination from me? Let me think. Oh, I know I know...you want to brow beat me into submission with your beliefs! You want to argue your side. Been there, done that. Won't happen again. I am not trying to challenge nor convert you, why are you trying to do so to me? I feel if you are happy as a COC, then good for you. I, personally, will never attend another COC. Enough said.
A person cannot defend 'religious' beliefs that are not biblically based - but rather based on 'thier opinions'. I guess maybe you've tried before and don't wish to go there again...(one reminder to you though - mine is not a 'denomination')
Not a COC fan

United States

#59 Sep 8, 2009
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
A person cannot defend 'religious' beliefs that are not biblically based - but rather based on 'thier opinions'. I guess maybe you've tried before and don't wish to go there again...(one reminder to you though - mine is not a 'denomination')
The same can be said of you. Why is it that you feel you HAVE TO MAKE me believe as you do? No, I don't try to force my beliefs on anybody. I haven't even expressed my beliefs and you automatically assume that mine are incorrect compared to yours. I think you have just validated all of the negative COC comments on this forum.
Ronnie

Dallas, TX

#60 Sep 8, 2009
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
A person cannot defend 'religious' beliefs that are not biblically based - but rather based on 'thier opinions'. I guess maybe you've tried before and don't wish to go there again...(one reminder to you though - mine is not a 'denomination')
I can see you need some help. The coc is a denomination which began around the early 1800". Their founder was Alexander Campbell although many say it was a partnership with Barton Stone.

Their doctrine has changed several times creating many splits. The main ones are church of Christ church, christian church, first christian church and disciples of Christ.

They have no history earlier than that. The Campbells were Scottish presbyterians and then baptist before becoming coc.

Got more info if you can stand to hear it? Such as the fact that the Campbilite church was suspected of being a cult during the early days. Even Jim Jones was a modern day cult leader from that group.

Have I got your dander up yet? Lets discuss your denominational background?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#61 Sep 8, 2009
Not a COC fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The same can be said of you. Why is it that you feel you HAVE TO MAKE me believe as you do? No, I don't try to force my beliefs on anybody. I haven't even expressed my beliefs and you automatically assume that mine are incorrect compared to yours. I think you have just validated all of the negative COC comments on this forum.
I don't think I have to make you believe as I do but rather my goal is to demonstrate that the beliefs I have are biblically based. Many beliefs found in denominations are not - that's all I'm saying...
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#62 Sep 8, 2009
Ronnie wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see you need some help. The coc is a denomination which began around the early 1800". Their founder was Alexander Campbell although many say it was a partnership with Barton Stone.
Their doctrine has changed several times creating many splits. The main ones are church of Christ church, christian church, first christian church and disciples of Christ.
They have no history earlier than that. The Campbells were Scottish presbyterians and then baptist before becoming coc.
Got more info if you can stand to hear it? Such as the fact that the Campbilite church was suspected of being a cult during the early days. Even Jim Jones was a modern day cult leader from that group.
Have I got your dander up yet? Lets discuss your denominational background?
They have SO much history before that. For one, there is a church of christ in Bridgeport, AL that pre-dates Stone and Campbell. Actually the precise date of the founding of Christ's church is on the day of Pentecost about 50 days after Christ's death/burial/resurrection. Check it out in Acts 2!

Stone and Campbell were just part of the Restoration movement that had been taking place for years and years. It was an attempt to get back to the first century church as is found in the bible. They did not found the church - Christ did!!

Romans 16:16 - "All the churches of Christ send greetings."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shahdad Naghshpour Feb 18 Concerned Anerican 1
Amber harmon Feb 17 saddness 1
News Dynetics releases new 360-degree radar Feb 17 Russell Carden 1
Why Do the Blacks Act Like Apes Feb 15 Physicist Albert ... 2
Why do Mexicans smell? Feb 13 ThomasA 2
Holiday inn express Feb 12 Middle School Parent 1
Making America Great Again Feb 11 Spreadlovenothate 9

Huntsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntsville Mortgages