Pastor charged with domestic violence

Dec 7, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WAFF-TV Huntsville

A Valley pastor turns himself in on charges of domestic violence. Doctor James Doggette is an associate professor of Religion and Theology at Oakwood College. via WAFF-TV Huntsville

Comments
1 - 20 of 635 Comments Last updated May 14, 2014
First Prev
of 32
Next Last
Wayne Caines

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Whilst it is never domestic violence is a major issue in Society and hurting or hitting ones partner should never be condoned or justified, it is important that we do not rush to judgement.

My family will hold the Doggette Family up in prayer. Through this struggle we all must all become stronger.

Wayne Caines
Bermuda
Pastor Brooks

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

I agree with the above posted comment. We all have sinned and been found wanting. It is at this time that we should rally in prayer around our colleague in ministry and comfort the family.

We pray for reconciliation for this family.
Huntsville

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

I WOULD LIKE TO JUST REITERATE IF THE CURIAN WAS PULL ON YOU AND I WHAT WILL IT SAY.PEOPLE DO THINGS JUST TO BRING THE NEXT PERSON DOWN. GOD BLESS THE FAMILY DURING THIS TIME MAY THERE SPRIT BE STRONG IN THE LORD.
Wayne

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

All have sinned and fall short - However, my prayer is that if the charges, and right now they are just that, are true,the family should seek counseling and not wait for the case to wind its way through the criminal process.
Sharon Scarbrough

Yucaipa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Judged:

My prayers are with this family. The devil is busy but our GOD is POWERFUL.
Sister D

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

We're all human and this family needs our prayers, that's all we can do for anyone at any time
Donita Gwin

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Judged:

This family needs paryer!!! GOD is the answer for everything that we go through!! this to shall past!! i belive that IT WILL WORK!! FROM WAT I KNOW OF HIM HE IS TRUELY TOUCH BY GOD!!! I AM PRAYING FOR THE FAMILY!
Crayton

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2007

Yes Doggette Needs prayer. However, if a man hits his wife, he should go to jail. If he is hitting her at this age, obviously he has a history of intimidating and abusing his wife. Lets get real fellow Seveth Day Adventist... Domestic violence exist even in our church.
Student

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2007

I agree that there is power in prayer however you all are talking as if he has been convicted, remember he still maintains his inocence - so often inocent people are cast into ill repute simply because incomlete or fasle information is spread. let's be careful not to jump to any conclusions
Pastor Franklin Bray Sr

Castries, Saint Lucia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2007

Real people deal with real issues every day of their lives. Our pastor, Pastor James Dogette Sr. is a real person, one who fears God, loves people and lives to transform society. The media highlight in his life right now does not diminish his love for God, God's service and community. Remember Jesus and his famous words in treatment of those who accuse the woman set to get caught in adultery? How about "innocent until proven guilty?"
Let us together pray for Pastor James Dogette and his family. There is no situation that God cannot remedy. Let God be God and every one else a liar.
Sis W

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2007

Judged:

Domestic violence in adventist homes is a real problem - one which has been swept under the rug for many, many years. I trust that regardless of how these allegations pan out, our church organization on the whole, from the top down, would shed the veneer, and ensure that pastors and lay persons alike feel sufficiently liberated to secure help for domestic issues long before they evolve into violence... Let the dialogue begin...This time it's the Doggettes, next time, who knows...it could be really, really serious, even fatal. Now is the time for discourse!
Looking Inside

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Let this family work through their own issues withoutht judgment of either of them. I wonder if this had happened to the "nobody" member sitting next to you in church on Sabbath, if you would even care? Adventist are known to be messy, gossipy, a closed society and extremely judgemental. God and the world is watching how Adventist handle this one. How about falling on your knees in prayer and keeping your mouths shut? This might be a reflective time to look at your own marriage and relationships and fix what may be wrong there. What is worse, hitting your wife or fellow SDA member physicaly, emotionally or spiritually? Who have you hit? Pain is pain.
Summer Z

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

I agree with the person above. Let our prayers do the talking for this family! All of us need to search our hearts to see who we may have hurt and figure out how we need to address it. It is always so much easier to look across at someone elses situation to divert attention to our own wrongs.
Sister D Brown

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

There are many "regular" members in our churches on a given sabbath who worship in pain because they feel forced to live with a violent and abusive spouse. They have no one to turn to. The pastors turn a blind eye, either because they are not qualified to help when asked, don't really care, or because they themselves operate in abusive marriages and need help themselves. As adventists we must stop keeping quiet and feel free to seek help from the outside when necessary. Just off the top of my head, I could name at least six individuals from my churches who haave actually cried on my shoulders because they are slapped upside their heads and kicked around by an abusive spouse on a regular basis. When I ask them to seek help from their Pastor, the response is always "All he says is pray about it..." Face it, folks, it's hard to pray about it when your face is swollen and you feel embarrassed to seek help outside the "safety" of your sanctuary. Pastors need prayers, and so do parishioners. The reason this case is getting so much attention is natural. Our pastors are paid professionals, appointed by God to lead by example, and model for us how to treat our spouse. They are held to a higher standard. Naturally, we look to them for guidance. When their credibility is compromised, there is a feeling of confusion, nervousness, insecurity, and helplessness. We feel let down, and again this is natural. It's no different from a teacher and her student when the teacher exercises poor moral judgement. The student is confused and sometimes feels that if it's ok for the teacher to "do it", it cannot be that bad. Let us all pray for the Doggette family,God knows they need it. Additionally, let this family and other leaders among us understand fully that just as the young lady is prohibited from conducting the youth choir because she is pregnant outside of wedlock, even moreso should a Pastor who finds himself abusing his soulmate be stripped of his rights and privileges - at least for a while (all this providing the accusations are true). What's good for the goose is also good for the gander. Meanwhile, let us all pray for each other. Denial is an awful thing.
Lay Pastor-Berean ATL GA

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

The funny thing about all of this, is that we are all acting like we know ALL the details to this story. Can we just pray for this God fearing man and his family?
Father, in the name of Jesus, I ask that you please forgive us for our sins. We realize that satan is busy, especially in the Adventist Church. We all had a spiritual high after hearing the news of Oakwood becoming a University, and now to have this. Lord, we know that you are truly using Pastor Doggette and Adventism in a mighty way to spread your gospel to a dying world. While we don't know the facts and the details of this issue, and don't really need to know for that matter, the only thing that we need to know and claim is that you came to this world to save your children. I plead in Jesus' name the Blood of your Son Jesus Christ to cover Pator Doggette, his family, and the Adventist church as a whole. We know that the enemy has it out for our church because he knows that we have the truth, and he knows that his time is short. But in Jesus' name, we claim the victory! Victory TODAY is OURS! Please forgive us all of our many sins and short comings. Help us to love you more, and serve you better, in the Worthy name of Jesus I do pray, AMEN, and AMEN!
Servant of God

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

I couldn't agree with you more "Lay Pastor-Berean. I find it interesting how people who say they have "the Truth" treat each other when they are given an opportunity to LIVE that "Truth". But for the Grace of God you could be the one accused. If we're going to chose sides, let's chose the side of right and obedience to God's Word. Do unto others ... Don't make a judgment on part of a story. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth. The words spoken by a child of God should be words that uplift and support our brothers and sisters in their time of need not words to bring them down. We have enough people out in the world doing that already and they don't need our help. As in every family there are issues that need to be addressed and dealth with--the Adventist family is no different. Let us not forget, that we serve a God who sent His Son to demonstrate, LOVE, FORGIVENESS and RECONCILATION. God is about restoring. Let us take this opportunity to reflect to the world the God we serve by demonstrating what we ALL have experienced through Jesus Christ. We are a family and when one hurts we should all feel it and be supportive-not take sides. We don't know what happened and we don't need to. So let's take off our judge robes and put on a robe of righteousness so that even in this our God is glorified. Blessed are the Peacemakers ...
SDA Member

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Just because a minister is up preaching in the pulpit does not mean he is God fearing. He could very well be preaching on Sabbath moring and going home beating his wife by Saturday night. We need to get real and address all the issues in our church. We punish some for the sins that we think require punishment and let others go free. I know ministers who stole and had extramarial affairs and still keep right on preaching - does that make them God fearing? Every minister who stands up to prach is not God fearing. IF he did abuse her, he certainly needs to be held accountable. Minister or not. Doesn't the church throw their rules at the young woman who has a child out of wedlock or the church member that they do not like for adultry or stealing? Don't they remove people from office? IF he is guilty he needs to be removed too.
SDA Member

New Orleans, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

It's time that the Adventist denomination wake up and start dealing with the ministers who abuse their wives, have extramarital affairs, drink alcoholic beverages, etc. Most of these situations are swept under the rug. If the wife has been abused, I congratulate her on having the courage to call the authorities. If she reported these incidents to the conference, they probably did nothing because of the family's name. It's high time we as a denomination start calling sin by it rightful name. Let's begin in the conference offices.
Elder R Hollywood Florida

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

I am truly amazed how people who call themselves Servants of God could be so biased. Most Pastors, when they "fall" are given a slap on the wrist; but like an earlier writer said, the pregnant out-of-wedlock young lady must immediately relinquish her duties as choir director, sit out in shame, go back into the water (rebaptized), and then work her way back to leadership again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's as it ought to be. All the average member is saying is that yes, we will pray for the good pastor; yes we wish him well and still love him. However, the same punishment we give the young lady who "fall" should be exacted out to all - from the conference president to the church janitor. At the foot of the cross we are all equal. This is God's business. We cannot afford to continue to send the wrong message, that because yoou are a pastor, or certain church member from some special family, you are treated different from others. Yes, the world is watching, and so are the average Joe Blow Seventh-day Adventist.
Footnote: If the charges against the good pastor are false, then by all means, he is vindicated and his accuser should be punished. If the charges are true, then let the Seventh-day Adventist Handbook be pulled from the shelf. May God teach us how to treat each other lovingly and mercifully and equally.

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

Lets be real. I am not saying that we should "sweep" this under the rug. But what I am saying is that we need to 1) Pray for Pastor Doggette and his family, 2) Keep the gossip/rumors out of our mouths and let the facts come to light, and 3) after the facts are all out, PRAY AGAIN! Yes, if he is guilty, the correct WILL be taken. If he is not guilty, the correct action SHOULD be taken. Until then, can we stop talking like the man is guilty and just pray? JUDGE NOT, LEST YE BE JUDGED.(This comment does not negate any comments that reference domestic violence committed by a spouse. If a spouse commits this crime, they should be punished. The forgivnes of sin does not automatically equate with the nullification of the consequenses of sin.)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 32
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Huntsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rep. Brooks waiting to see opponent campaign 4 hr Jerry 1
Country Day School teacher Brett Naff arrested,... (Sep '12) 4 hr Not A Soccer Moms 178
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) 16 hr ThomasA 207
Harvest Man Found Dead On His Lawn (Nov '13) 23 hr Chicken Choker 21
Debate: Ferguson - Huntsville, AL Wed jerry 5
Teen Shot Dead Assaulted Officer Aug 16 Over-Policing 5
Black Arrested for Sex with Dog Aug 12 Chicken Little 4

Search the Huntsville Forum:
•••
•••
Huntsville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Huntsville Jobs