East of Huntsville: Much Ado About Cinram

Feb 4, 2008 | Posted by: jtrigsby | Full story: www.eastofhuntsville.com

In the wake of over one hundred foreign workers coming up missing, much speculation, criticism, and many questions are left behind at Cinram, Inc.

Comments
1 - 20 of 81 Comments Last updated Jul 16, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Paul Brown

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 9, 2008
 

Judged:

5

5

2

I am so tired of all the miss-information concerning Cinram and it’s employment practices. First let me say that I have been with the company before it was Cinram, some 20 years now. I have seen first hand the people comeing through the door looking for a job. They come in to interview in dirty cloths, sandals, T-shirts, sunglasses and baggy pants. Still they receive an interview, and as long as they can pass a basic skills test, they are asked to return for drug testing. That is where some 10% to 15% don’t return. Those that do come back, I would guess that another 10% to 15% don’t pass the drug test. Now we have lets say 80% left. They are then scheduled for orientation. You guessed it. Another 10% or better never show. Now we are down to 70% of the original group. Then comes the first day of work and we have another 10% to 20% that never show. Now we have somewhere between 50% and 60% of the starter group. Within the first week, we will loose somewhere around 25% of those.
Now lets look at the horrible work conditions. 1.3 million square feet of totally heated and air-conditioned floor space. Workers in the warehouse ride in the latest state of the art picking equipment with ergo seats and safety equipment. Those that work in the pick and pack modules enjoy well lit safe work areas. Out in the sortation areas, again still all air-conditioned and heated, workers enjoy automated sort equipment in a clean environment. In what I would deem the hardest area of the plant to work in, manual packing, we still see a clean, heated and cooled, safe workspace. Yes, you stand at a conveyor placing small items into containers for your 12 hour shift with breaks and lunches. Anyone who has worked in any kind of manufacturing environment, I’m sure will see this as horrendous conditions. Just ask people that have worked in warehouses that are nether heated or cooled. Also truckers that work on open docks both winter and summer. People pouring concrete or paving roads. How about roofers?
Having worked my entire life and only been out of work for a few days at a time when jobs changed. I see a huge number of both young and old that never finished school and took no effort to improve themselves but think they should earn $20 an hour. And that’s if they can pass a drug test and if they decide to come to work today.
former employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 11, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

As a former employee I feel the need to respond.Its quite obvious this person is in management. 1. The majority of applicants do not dress in the manner he suggests. I've personally seen many come in well dressed.As far as the drug issue this is a common problem all over the country.We have had some people in management that have had or have drug issues.2. There have been many issues with people fainting or passing out due to the heat which sometimes reaches the upper 80's.Of course this is not a problem for this person because he sits in an air conditioned office.The reference to people with worse jobs makes no sense because most of them are highly paid.3. To use these reasons for hiring foreign workers is absurd.On the subject of foreign workers its quite obvious certain people new ahead of time this was going to happen. They set up substandard living conditions and then charged outrageous rents which they automatically took from their checks.Have you not seen the pictures in the Huntsville times? 4. Thanks for the calling the state of Alabama stupid.Of course we all should as smart as you.Just look at all the mistakes in your post.
Current Employee

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 16, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I have worked for several companies in the past. Cinram is one of the best. They have a benefits package that is second to none. The wage is a little below average for the work. However, when you consider you pay only $50 every two weeks for health insurance for a whole family (Blue Cross Blue Shield), the wage difference is wipe away. With other companies you will pay twice and sometimes three times that amount. After a year of service, they will pay up to $5000 a year for your college education. They have dental, vision, life insurance, 401K (Matched contribution), and many other benefits. The vacation and personal time is second to none. An employee can receive a total of 160 hours after a full calendar year of service. It is prorated if it is less than a year. With the way the schedule is set up at Cinram, you could only take 24 hours of personal or vacation and get a whole week off. Cinram is not as bad as people may think. They hire many Americans that wind up quiting. Most are young and don't care about the benefits. They are only concerned about the wage. I work a regular warehouse job. I even work at an off-site facility that does not even have air conditioning and I am not in Management. Cinram has treated my family and I very well and I think they deserve a little more praise than what they are getting.
Brine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 12, 2008
 

Judged:

5

2

1

lol, Cinram is Satan's bunghole.
i worked there, check this out: the only way
to get hired on is through one of the many temp
agencies they exploit. So you show up at 5:30 am
to be let in to work and be paid from 6:30 am
so you don't get pain a whole hour you're there.
When you get there, there are like 50+ mexicans
already there, and more to come still...

So if you manage to make it in before their quota
is full, sometimes they will make you wait in a
separate line if you are Caucasian or Black.

once all of the mexicans are in, if they don't need any more people,
they will send you home, so you just waited from
5:30 am to 7:00 am, no pay no work... and this
has happened to me and my mom, Legal citiznes of
the US MANY TIMES.

During a Recession and it was hard to find a job.
we were told we couldn't work because we weren't
"hard workers".

Not to mention, you work twelve hours, and get 2 10
minute breaks, and one 30 minute lunch...
There are no seats, you have to Stand ALL DAY long.
i Wish i could sue cinram, because it Screwed up
my feet working there... 5 years later and my
feet still hurt.

ok And the Mexicans there are treated like slaves.
the line leaders don't even have the decency to talk with them and show them
what to do.
they point and do "sign language" impatiently
and call them "amigo"... its entirely racist
to treat someone so sub human...

And everyone that has ACTUALLY worked on the line
knows this is true... Go work at cinram, lol...
its a great place...
A Former Employee

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 13, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

Cinram has good medical benefits, but they exploit their workers and layoffs never happen. Cinram definition of a layoff... lets pick who we will have to cut and call them in and say "You haven't been working up to standards so we are terminating you" This happens at every location. They are bullies at best. I am really surprised they haven't been sued.
a former employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 16, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Their practices are untheithical,,and often borderline illegal. The diseases they have " covered up in the past" was the reason i left. In a 3 week span they found TB, influenza and The clap,in several places throughout the building.Not to mention the reverse racism was to much to handle.As A former line lead i encountered it daily.
Another Former Employee

Lindsay, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 29, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

I know exactly what is wrong at Cinram

First of all the spelling of its name should be amended to reflect the everyday working atmosphere of this company. The spelling should be “Sinram”, because on any given day you can personally witness numerous acts of human degeneracy. People coming from every area of our community have been hired to work in a place where the people who manage the business hire low level supervisors who are for the most part (as I see them) are mostly stab –you-in-the-back to keep their jobs liars, womanizers and racists. They use “Sinram” as their own personal playground. Many of these people in the supervisor level have very little schooling, many having received their positions through their affiliation with G.O.B.Y.U.“That’s Good Old Boy University”. They were fortunate enough to be in the right place and the right time. Some having worked there since they graduated high school. Many are former addicts or felons hiding out at “Sinram” for whatever reasons. And as is the case in any other seedy work environment people likes these supervisors will do whatever it takes to get the “”job done”. No matter who gets hurt or injured, the product must go out and the customers must be satisfied. These people “and I do use the word people lightly” do not give a care for anybody or anything that interferes with “getting the product on the trucks”.
The amount of Nepotism is so high you better watch what you say about someone because you might be talking about a relative. Some supervisors have their whole families working for them. And, if you get into any arguments with one of their family members you are fired soon after.
These supervisors use their influence to solicit special favors from female workers. Promising and delivering special promotions or pay increases.
Cinram is a terrible place to work and advancement for minorities is shameful to say the least. The discrimination is in fact systemic. If you have a college degree don’t apply for work at Cinram, you will be wasting your education. There are some shifts that have no blacks in leadership positions at all. The people who work on C team for example are known as the “Colored team” and the A team is known as the “Arian team”. It is an awful place to work.
There are so many things wrong with Cinram I could write a two thousand word essay on it and still not completely tell the whole story.
I want to ask one final question to our civic leaders in the Huntsville area and that is” Why won’t you investigate this company’s immigration compliance”. Sinram is the Devil’s Bung hole.
Ex- Employee

Lindsay, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 30, 2008
 

Judged:

4

2

Cinram is the worst place in the world to work. You only have two fifteen minute breaks and one thirty minute lunch break. You are forced to take breaks in break areas full of people with colds,flu and God knows what else. You have to stand on your feet all day long, and if a supervisor sees you leaning or sitting you are verbally chastised and even threatened with termination. It is a horrible place. There are so many illegal workers in the plant you would have to see it to believe it. Why doesn't the government do something about this company. And if you are a nice looking woman you probably would be better off not applying for a job there. The place if being loaded up with thugs and criminals. Felons and rapist, child abusers and the like. It is a cesspool.
Current Employee

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 25, 2009
 
No Short-Term Disabililty Insurance
Sad Employee

Emmetsburg, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 26, 2009
 
I would like to further our discussions about Cinram at this time if your are still interested.
As you know I was quite concerned about Cinram leaving the community last year. I have worked there for almost # years and I needed the job to support my family. I am still working there but now I'm beginning to take a negative point of view at the situation at Cinram. I am now witnessing the lopsided attempt by Cinram to Use our community to do business without our community members benefiting. Cinram has begun to layoff local community members whole bringing in Mexican, Peruvian, and other South American workers. It is a shame what the Managers are doing. They are firing full time American workers that have been at Cinram for years and hiring known illegal aliens from Temp Agencies. Illegals are now being allowed to run the most complicated machinery in the plant, which full time workers used to operate. It is so bad now, I feel sorry for the people who have lost their jobs. There are hundred of the workers at night and just as many on the day shifts. I know personally at least 10-twenty of them that have used several different names in the last two years. The names that they use also have different social security numbers. It is wrong. Laws are being broken and Cinram thinks that nobody cares.

Cinram management does not care what happens to the Tennessee Valley or it's people.

Sad Employee

Emmetsburg, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 5, 2009
 
Two sets of layoffs for Cinram
Thursday, 18 May 2006
Approximately 350 employees at Cinram International’s CD and DVD manufacturing plant in Commerce, California received termination notices at the end of March, as the company closed down the facility and transferred production to its Pennsylvania facility.

Also in March, Cinram finalised a plan to cease CD operations at its facility in Louviers, France. Around 120 employees were given notice, via the plant’s workers council. The factory will continue to manufacture DVDs.

The two sets of layoffs cost the company a total of $7.7 million. Its first quarter revenue was $447.8 million, slightly down from $453.8 million in Q1 2005. Net earnings also fell slightly ($3.9 million compared with $4.1 million).
One of the largest employers in our area announced it is laying off workers.

The high-tech company based in Canada, which makes CDs and DVDs, reported earlier this week it lost nearly $25 million.

Some 200 workers at the plant in Olyphant were told Wednesday their jobs were being eliminated. Before the job cuts Wednesday, the company employed about 1,400 people.

Workers said they saw the layoffs coming.

"I went in. They brought a group of us into a room upstairs. They told us our jobs were being eliminated. We weren't being fired, but our jobs were being eliminated," said worker Mark Underwood. "It was very nice, very well done. Then we were just told to leave." He was a truck driver for the company for 24 years and said it was like a family at Cinram. He said managers at the plant handled the layoffs well.

Some workers said they have grown accustom to layoffs during this time of year. One woman said when she heard the layoff rumors, she knew she would be one of the ones let go.

"I'm almost going to retire soon," said Alice Uzialko of Montdale. She has worked at Cinram for 23 years. "Everybody's a nervous wreck. Everybody's just waiting, hoping they don't knock them on the shoulder, saying 'it's your day.'" She agreed many workers were not surprised by the layoffs. "Well with the economy the way it is, it was bound to happen. Everybody is downloading music, movies. So it was bound to happen," she added.

A company spokesperson said the job cuts are due to declining sales and work demand and that a wide cross section of workesr are affected. Cinram officials also said all employees who lost their job are being offered assistance.
Copyright © 2009, WNEP-TV
Sad Employee

Emmetsburg, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 2, 2009
 
Workers who want to wear face masks at work are being forced to remove them. The Mexican workers are all over the plant now. They are now running 75% of the automated machines. It is a shame that nobody in our community has the courage to do something about this Cinram situation.
no name

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 3, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

1

I work at this company an I am mexican.You american people are lazy you complain about everything,your very lazy, always late without good reason,an any good company that will stay in the business cant have that.look at you self before you blame CINRAM for anything.I,m greatful to the old president G.Bush for his guest worker program.This place is full of greedy people that why your business fail because of it.I enjoy Cinram I make good money an they treat you fair.all you fomer employess of cinram who complain about it its you fault you not at work its not the club or whorehouse it a job,and im glad they get rid of the lazy people and hire one who really want to work and can pass the drug test
paul

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 3, 2009
 
no name wrote:
I work at this company an I am mexican.You american people are lazy you complain about everything,your very lazy, always late without good reason,an any good company that will stay in the business cant have that.look at you self before you blame CINRAM for anything.I,m greatful to the old president G.Bush for his guest worker program.This place is full of greedy people that why your business fail because of it.I enjoy Cinram I make good money an they treat you fair.all you fomer employess of cinram who complain about it its you fault you not at work its not the club or whorehouse it a job,and im glad they get rid of the lazy people and hire one who really want to work and can pass the drug test
You kill me,you post a comment calling american people lazy when you left your own country to come hear to work instead of helping build your own country up.Thats what AMERICANS do.The guest worker program is a load of crap an it dumps on legal people,who now cant get jobs cause their all taken by you,who will work for less just to stay in the States with the lzy people.That company should be fined,we shouldnt support anything they make,an this guest worker crap should be threw out the back door
no name

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 3, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Sad Employee wrote:
Workers who want to wear face masks at work are being forced to remove them. The Mexican workers are all over the plant now. They are now running 75% of the automated machines. It is a shame that nobody in our community has the courage to do something about this Cinram situation.
yes we do run the machine,sombody has to.the compan hire mexicans cause we hrd worker people they want a job o get done an we do the work and not complain like you do.if you not complain so much maybe you will get a long way
no name

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 3, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

paul wrote:
<quoted text>You kill me,you post a comment calling american people lazy when you left your own country to come hear to work instead of helping build your own country up.Thats what AMERICANS do.The guest worker program is a load of crap an it dumps on legal people,who now cant get jobs cause their all taken by you,who will work for less just to stay in the States with the lzy people.That company should be fined,we shouldnt support anything they make,an this guest worker crap should be threw out the back door
you no nothing about the program this is a good program for mexicans and for this country because you people complain to much.if it wasnt for the guest worker program lots more american compaines would be going down the tube.only the people who dont want to work stay home all day on the computer watch the tv all day.and for you information mexicans spend money on food,rent,cars lots of things we help the states stay on the feet when we spend our money
paul

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 3, 2009
 
no name wrote:
<quoted text>you no nothing about the program this is a good program for mexicans and for this country because you people complain to much.if it wasnt for the guest worker program lots more american compaines would be going down the tube.only the people who dont want to work stay home all day on the computer watch the tv all day.and for you information mexicans spend money on food,rent,cars lots of things we help the states stay on the feet when we spend our money
Right I dont know anything about this dum program,cause I was born here to get my job I had to do it the old fashion way.You speak as if this country is in your dept.The compaines that fail in this country fail because they dont make the right choices,not because they dont have mexican workers.What a throught!
Former Employee

Oldsmar, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 5, 2009
 
No Name Hispanic DOES have a minor point. I would have to say that the Hispanic folks there generally work harder than the AA's or some Caucasians. However, that doesn't excuse Cinram of any wrong-doing. They made a promise to the city council that they would hire locally but, since most similar jobs pay quite a bit more in Huntsville, they can't find enough good workers to fill those positions.

I made it a point to volunteer for work out in the packaging areas from time to time when things were slow and talked with some of the Hispanics working on the line. Most were very nice people and just needed to someone to take the time to show them the job. Even though I wasn't a line lead, I would make sure the task was understood by the line workers. I can also say that some of the comments Hispanic and others said are mostly true -- too many line leads there that do not know how to handle people.

The reason I am a former employee after giving a good portion of my life to them is because of some of the crap they have been pulling with the labor force. Management just doesn't give a shit about their work environment and that causes a lot of stress for those dedicated to doing their job.

I pretty-much was treated like shit and my termination was handled VERY unprofessionally.

What they are doing to the foreign workers is unacceptable and I am saying this as someone who is generally viewed as a racist -- at least towards anyone who is lazy and wants to act all ghetto and thinks they are entitled something just because one is in the White House now.

Cinram will lose contracts and go under because they keep promoting idiots for managers and "get rid" of the intelligent workers.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 5, 2009
 
no name wrote:
I work at this company an I am mexican.You american people are lazy you complain about everything,your very lazy, always late without good reason,an any good company that will stay in the business cant have that.look at you self before you blame CINRAM for anything.I,m greatful to the old president G.Bush for his guest worker program.This place is full of greedy people that why your business fail because of it.I enjoy Cinram I make good money an they treat you fair.all you fomer employess of cinram who complain about it its you fault you not at work its not the club or whorehouse it a job,and im glad they get rid of the lazy people and hire one who really want to work and can pass the drug test
Ok now this is where I come in....Your just as racist as the next person. How about not saying Americans are lazy but that there are lazy people that want to do alittle of nothing for money? I think that is a better statement. I am an American and I work my ass off! I also worked my ass off for 4 1/2 years at Cinram. Not because I had to, but because that is how I work. I was sitting in the break room one day listening to a Mexican talking about how Americans are lazy. I loved my job so I did not beat the sh!t out of him! 2 days later I asked where he was and a mexican girl lady told me he was fired because he was lazy. Thats just one example. I worked in screen print. That is a very stressful area to work in and you have to deal with all the fumes from the ink. I would see people come in and only be there for a week and start b!tching like they were there long enough to even have the right to do so. Mind you they were not b!itching about the conditions or the management they didnt want to run the machine the way it was supposed to be run. They wanted to put in a disc and run 1 color their whole shift. I took on alot of extra work just to try to make it easier on them so I could do my job without hearing the b!tching. There are lazy ass people in every race and Im tired of hearing the race card being used when the people that are using it are racist.
Former Employee

Oldsmar, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

1

^^^ I know where you are coming from since I spent over 5 years in Screen Print. Had to get out of there because it was being run like a concentration camp and a lot of back-stabbing by the TLs and LLs. I was a very hard worker who made very few mistakes but when I was blamed ( and written up ) for something I didn't do and confronted the Super about it -- who wouldn't admit their error and still gave me a warning -- it was time to transfer to another department. Cinram rewards incompetence like that with a promotion to Manager. I was in another department but when there was a special gathering for the promotion announcement, I just did a " so long " wave, turned around, and returned to me work. LOL

There are just too many idiots running that place now.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Huntsville Forum right now

Search the Huntsville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hsv Police Blotter: Stool Softener and Gerbil A... Tue Uncle Chuckles 3
A.M. Booth's Lumberyard resolving issues that f... Tue Lou Sams 2
Strange, white substance flowing into Big Sprin... Tue Mr Garrison 3
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Give me a break 203
Classes Aim to Hook Blacks on african-American ... Jul 27 kelly oneilnblome 4
Hair stylist recommendation? (Sep '07) Jul 27 Eric Cartman 36
Police Probe Lawn Ornaments Left In Front of Ho... Jul 26 Kritty Toad 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Huntsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Huntsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Huntsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Huntsville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••