First Prev
of 4
Next Last
long gone

Columbus, OH

#66 Jun 25, 2011
Suzy q wrote:
Anyone remember fuzzys market on 26th st or wilks grocery on 25th... erwins market on top of 28th... and chuck kings motorcycle shop beside the center on 8th ave???
I remember them! I grew up on 25th, and went to Wilk's regularly. I think we called it "Tarps" for some reason...
please

Charleston, WV

#67 Jun 26, 2011
Nothing
67 Camaro

Huntington, WV

#68 Jun 27, 2011
LOL, I have to agree, I worked there for a short time in the late 70's and there was a fun crew to work with.
Tracy

Parkersburg, WV

#69 Feb 15, 2013
I miss Huntington! I went to St. Mary's Nursing School on 29th street so of course I miss Gary's grocery store. He was a hot number back in the day! I miss Tudor's and Gino's. I miss the Double Dribble,The Club In-Between, Starbucks, Boneys Hole in the Wall, club 1896, Stewarts Hot Dogs and John Mandt from my innocent youth! I miss the Inferno with the phones on the table. Witnessed my best friend turn away a great guy from Annapolis. Miss The Rag Time Lounge on the West End. Miss Billy Ray before he was famous! tried to take him home once and that didnt work out too well! I miss DeSotos on Rt. 60.Some of the best years of my life were spent in Huntington. I miss it so!!!
1 post removed
KFC

Daniels, WV

#71 Feb 15, 2013
Tracy wrote:
I miss Huntington! I went to St. Mary's Nursing School on 29th street so of course I miss Gary's grocery store. He was a hot number back in the day! I miss Tudor's and Gino's. I miss the Double Dribble,The Club In-Between, Starbucks, Boneys Hole in the Wall, club 1896, Stewarts Hot Dogs and John Mandt from my innocent youth! I miss the Inferno with the phones on the table. Witnessed my best friend turn away a great guy from Annapolis. Miss The Rag Time Lounge on the West End. Miss Billy Ray before he was famous! tried to take him home once and that didnt work out too well! I miss DeSotos on Rt. 60.Some of the best years of my life were spent in Huntington. I miss it so!!!
Why you come back for a day or 2 ??? I miss u :)
KFC

Daniels, WV

#72 Feb 15, 2013
Tracy, come on back for a day or two :) your not too far away
David Lawhon

Chesterfield, VA

#73 Mar 12, 2013
I am sitting here in Powhatan, Virginia. I am on vacation this week and am thinking of my old days at Marshall. Brent Blume worked for awhile here at the Village Inn on Grace Street in Richmond. He also worked at the River City Diner. Is he back in Huntington? I seem to have lost contact. I would love to hear from anybody that knows me.
just hit 40s

United States

#74 Jul 3, 2013
alligator jackson wrote:
yes, ronald's cheese corner, coming out of mad hatter and gettin' a 6 for the road....the monarch and the old in between.....loved 1896.....I too perfered the tiny Chili Willies, it had a better atmosphere.....I agree that the air of possibility is gone I believe the desparation is still here
Loved 1896 and The Mad Hatter!!!
just hit 40s

United States

#75 Jul 3, 2013
And Desotos's and Daddys Money and was it Calamity Cafe? on Hal Greer and 3rd.
Jeff

Brooklyn, NY

#76 Jul 3, 2013
What has become of the 1896 club it's been years since I've been in wv

Level 4

Since: Dec 12

Huntington, WV

#77 Jul 3, 2013
I miss the 50% vacancy rate of both residents and businesses, the drug problem, the slumlords, the lazy cops, the flooding viaducts, the unfair business taxes, the potholed streets, the high unemployment rate, the massive amount of bars, fast food places, and pawn shops, and the overall white trash appeal, just like it was last week.....
Wild Man Fischer

Red Lion, PA

#78 Aug 6, 2013
I don't live in Huntington now, but did during the 80,s and worked at both Sights and Sounds and Hulio's. I miss them very much.
alligator jackson wrote:
WHAT I MISS ABOUT HUNTINGTON, WV
I moved to the Huntington area in 1976. Although I live in Huntington, there are some things I miss about Huntington.
I miss the chocalate cake with vanilla icing from Big Bear bakery, the smell of freshly made donuts from Ward's while walking Fourth Avenue. I miss how great Dwight's Kingburger was at 4 am although it tasted like cardboard for lunch. I miss the pepporoni's under the cheese of Delpa's Pizza in Proctorville. I miss The Hot Dog Special at Frank's Sandwich shop and fries and blue cheese of Julio's. I miss buying an out of town paper at Nick's News, cassettes at National Record Mart, 45 rpm's at Davidson's, and import albums at Opus One and Sight N Sounds.
I miss the Huntington Blizzard, The Huntington Cubs, Huck's Herd, and the Marshall footlball Herd playing for 1-AA Championships. I miss a hot summer day at Olmpic Pool. I miss Georgie from The Copa, Blondie from Davis' Place, fstfights at Verb's, happy hour buffet's at Robby's, one armed Harry Hill at the after hours bar Old Coachman's Club on Fifth Street, comedy night at The Old Library, drinking ice teas from mason jars at Bojangles, Ali at Rockers,and Becky's jean shorts and John Black's cackle at the old Jake's. I miss the music ofFoxwagon, James Murphy and Zachariah, and Menlo Park. I miss Billy Ray and The Players packing the Ragtime Lounge full of hot women every weekend. I miss drinking beer on Big Bear parking lot after a long night of work.
I'll always remember drinking Stroh's Beer on the porch listening to the Cincinnati Reds on WGNT. Also, there was Bob Miller in The Morning and Trivia on WGNT, Gary "Music" Miller on WKEE, Dr. Demento, King Buscuit Four on the fm radio. Of course, Mr Cartoon and Beeper on TV 3 and Ernie Salvatore writing about Mary ex Model's Derby Day bet.
I don't miss paying a dime to cross the 6th street bridge, the long traffic on the bridge or the many years we had to wait for The East End Bridge. I don't miss Dave Peyton writing for The Herald-Dispatch. I don't miss Cruise Ave but do miss Chi-Chis.
Huntington has grown bigger with Pullman Square, Wal-Marts, and consiladated high schools. I miss the freedom of the safety of being out at night and being able to walk downtown without bums begging for money. I'm still in Huntington and still love Huntington, a part of me still longs for the innocence of Huntington of the 70's and 80's. Was is Huntington or just the time period
Wild Man Fischer

Red Lion, PA

#79 Aug 6, 2013
I don't live in Huntington now, but did during the 80's and worked at both Sights and Sounds and Hulio's. I miss those times very much.
Greg

Brooklyn, NY

#80 Aug 6, 2013
alligator jackson wrote:
WHAT I MISS ABOUT HUNTINGTON, WV

I moved to the Huntington area in 1976. Although I live in Huntington, there are some things I miss about Huntington.

I miss the chocalate cake with vanilla icing from Big Bear bakery, the smell of freshly made donuts from Ward's while walking Fourth Avenue. I miss how great Dwight's Kingburger was at 4 am although it tasted like cardboard for lunch. I miss the pepporoni's under the cheese of Delpa's Pizza in Proctorville. I miss The Hot Dog Special at Frank's Sandwich shop and fries and blue cheese of Julio's. I miss buying an out of town paper at Nick's News, cassettes at National Record Mart, 45 rpm's at Davidson's, and import albums at Opus One and Sight N Sounds.

I miss the Huntington Blizzard, The Huntington Cubs, Huck's Herd, and the Marshall footlball Herd playing for 1-AA Championships. I miss a hot summer day at Olmpic Pool. I miss Georgie from The Copa, Blondie from Davis' Place, fstfights at Verb's, happy hour buffet's at Robby's, one armed Harry Hill at the after hours bar Old Coachman's Club on Fifth Street, comedy night at The Old Library, drinking ice teas from mason jars at Bojangles, Ali at Rockers,and Becky's jean shorts and John Black's cackle at the old Jake's. I miss the music ofFoxwagon, James Murphy and Zachariah, and Menlo Park. I miss Billy Ray and The Players packing the Ragtime Lounge full of hot women every weekend. I miss drinking beer on Big Bear parking lot after a long night of work.

I'll always remember drinking Stroh's Beer on the porch listening to the Cincinnati Reds on WGNT. Also, there was Bob Miller in The Morning and Trivia on WGNT, Gary "Music" Miller on WKEE, Dr. Demento, King Buscuit Four on the fm radio. Of course, Mr Cartoon and Beeper on TV 3 and Ernie Salvatore writing about Mary ex Model's Derby Day bet.

I don't miss paying a dime to cross the 6th street bridge, the long traffic on the bridge or the many years we had to wait for The East End Bridge. I don't miss Dave Peyton writing for The Herald-Dispatch. I don't miss Cruise Ave but do miss Chi-Chis.

Huntington has grown bigger with Pullman Square, Wal-Marts, and consiladated high schools. I miss the freedom of the safety of being out at night and being able to walk downtown without bums begging for money. I'm still in Huntington and still love Huntington, a part of me still longs for the innocence of Huntington of the 70's and 80's. Was is Huntington or just the time period
I remember all that. Those are good times. We didn't have all the dope heads.
leolady

Charleston, WV

#81 Aug 6, 2013
jiji wrote:
anybody remember burgar cheif.and dinner that looked sub way car when mack and daves was the store to go if you were looking for a gun and the farmers market close to 6th st.b bridge and the dinner i was talking about was across the street from a doctor i went to as a kid his name i thinkwas ricketts anybody remember him
my mom and i went to dr ricketts! I think they had 3 or 4 waiting rooms where you would wait to move to the next one and finally to his office! You would go early in the morning and sign up and may half to wait the entire day if they were really busy. I think his receptionist name was Marion?? There was a drug store on the corner that had a lunch counter i think. Huntington was special in those days!!
Joseph Walker

Palm Coast, FL

#82 Jan 31, 2014
I grew up in Huntington all my life until I went into the Navy . I miss Cams Hams . Stewarts root ever . A +W root beer And mostly Wards Donuts , I new the owners as a kid , they gave me free day olds and we played the pinball machine every day. Love them so much .. Huntington now is so sad . All the great stores are gone .i still miss the munky wards ll
David Lawhon

Richmond, VA

#83 Feb 3, 2014
I am running for Clerk of the Circuit Court in Powhatan County Virginia. I would like to win but who knows. I plan to get down to Huntington this spring.

Since: Jan 14

Charleston, WV

#84 Feb 3, 2014
i have recently moved to huntington. i find these post fascinating. It would have been awesome to have been here back in the day. My wife and I purchased an older home and are trying to revive it.....but, as i look around I see that this city has little hope left. Pharmaceuticals and other various drugs are to blame...and government passing out handouts to anyone unwilling to work... i read each and every post here. I wish I could have been here then and had some good times witrh y'all.
Brian Cox

Palm Bay, FL

#85 Oct 21, 2014
I miss hanging downtown on Saturdays. wearing our letter jackets,talking to girls from other schools. Spending my paper route money at Davidsons Records and getting the Top song list

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blacks picking up white girls (Sep '13) 2 min Ray C ist 25
Micheal Christian from gdotte?? 27 min michael45702 32
Liars Why Do People Lie So Much I'm Curious 30 min Silent Majority 2
Huntington Little League 35 min Silent Majority 16
God I can't wait till obamy is out if office! 58 min Silent M 233
Caserta gets the boot! 2 hr MarkJ3 29
brianna hodges aka breezy (Feb '13) 3 hr Yolo 6
More from around the web

Huntington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE