Posted in the Huntington Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
alligator jackson

United States

#1 Apr 7, 2011
WHAT I MISS ABOUT HUNTINGTON, WV

I moved to the Huntington area in 1976. Although I live in Huntington, there are some things I miss about Huntington.

I miss the chocalate cake with vanilla icing from Big Bear bakery, the smell of freshly made donuts from Ward's while walking Fourth Avenue. I miss how great Dwight's Kingburger was at 4 am although it tasted like cardboard for lunch. I miss the pepporoni's under the cheese of Delpa's Pizza in Proctorville. I miss The Hot Dog Special at Frank's Sandwich shop and fries and blue cheese of Julio's. I miss buying an out of town paper at Nick's News, cassettes at National Record Mart, 45 rpm's at Davidson's, and import albums at Opus One and Sight N Sounds.

I miss the Huntington Blizzard, The Huntington Cubs, Huck's Herd, and the Marshall footlball Herd playing for 1-AA Championships. I miss a hot summer day at Olmpic Pool. I miss Georgie from The Copa, Blondie from Davis' Place, fstfights at Verb's, happy hour buffet's at Robby's, one armed Harry Hill at the after hours bar Old Coachman's Club on Fifth Street, comedy night at The Old Library, drinking ice teas from mason jars at Bojangles, Ali at Rockers,and Becky's jean shorts and John Black's cackle at the old Jake's. I miss the music ofFoxwagon, James Murphy and Zachariah, and Menlo Park. I miss Billy Ray and The Players packing the Ragtime Lounge full of hot women every weekend. I miss drinking beer on Big Bear parking lot after a long night of work.

I'll always remember drinking Stroh's Beer on the porch listening to the Cincinnati Reds on WGNT. Also, there was Bob Miller in The Morning and Trivia on WGNT, Gary "Music" Miller on WKEE, Dr. Demento, King Buscuit Four on the fm radio. Of course, Mr Cartoon and Beeper on TV 3 and Ernie Salvatore writing about Mary ex Model's Derby Day bet.

I don't miss paying a dime to cross the 6th street bridge, the long traffic on the bridge or the many years we had to wait for The East End Bridge. I don't miss Dave Peyton writing for The Herald-Dispatch. I don't miss Cruise Ave but do miss Chi-Chis.

Huntington has grown bigger with Pullman Square, Wal-Marts, and consiladated high schools. I miss the freedom of the safety of being out at night and being able to walk downtown without bums begging for money. I'm still in Huntington and still love Huntington, a part of me still longs for the innocence of Huntington of the 70's and 80's. Was is Huntington or just the time period
car guy

Huntington, WV

#2 Apr 7, 2011
Damn that was good I miss all of that also what a time those were thanks for letting me remember those times again
Miss Practicality

South Hill, VA

#3 Apr 7, 2011
Hmm...we are prolly contemporaries. I miss the Monarch and Brent Blume, all the awful bars that were where the stadium is now, and the department stores downtown. I miss the awful concrete fountain on the plaza and the air of possibility and desperation that hung over Huntington. I miss the tiny Chili Willies. And the 1896 Club and the place on the corner of 10th St & 7th ave that had the neon sign that spelled "Lasange". How about The Lantern? Ronald's Cheese Corner?
alligator jackson

United States

#4 Apr 7, 2011
yes, ronald's cheese corner, coming out of mad hatter and gettin' a 6 for the road....the monarch and the old in between.....loved 1896.....I too perfered the tiny Chili Willies, it had a better atmosphere.....I agree that the air of possibility is gone I believe the desparation is still here
nozy

United States

#5 Apr 7, 2011
The "hot" sign at ward's donuts.
Miss Practicality

South Hill, VA

#6 Apr 7, 2011
Wiggins.
When Marco's served beer.

I think the possibilities are still there...it's just we've lost our desperation...
1 post removed
alligator jackson

United States

#8 Apr 8, 2011
I was gonna mention the 'legend' behind the ward's donut sign. and Wiggin's. I don't remember Long's Parkette.
Miltonian

Huntington, WV

#9 Apr 8, 2011
Does anyone remember the Jet Ray? It was the first fast food place I remember. It was located near the Field House on 5th Ave.
pure innocence

Northfork, WV

#10 Apr 8, 2011
I agree with you AJ, but I miss the steak sandwich at Dwight's with that deep fried bun, yummy!! Wasn't the Coachman club on 9th st between 5th and 6th Ave? That's the one I remember, it was actually an old train car.
lol2

United States

#11 Apr 8, 2011
Wouldn't it be great if some of these places could be brought back to life in some way. The way the building looks now, 1896 is beyond renovation, but someone ought to build a new one. Or any of the other great places that are no more.
lol2

United States

#12 Apr 8, 2011
Wouldn't it be great if these places could be brought back in some way. Wish someone would build a new 1896. Wouldnt be the same tho I suppose.
1 post removed
alligator jackson

Huntington, WV

#14 Apr 8, 2011
they did bring 1896 back once before, it's probably beyond repair now
I don't remember Jet Ray but do remember Burger Chef and Bordon Burger.
Yes Coachman's Club was on 9street, I also remember the Inferno Club with telephones on the tables, they tried that again too. One of my favs was Houston's in Ceredo until it went country and ruined it
Kiba

Huntington, WV

#15 Apr 8, 2011
I miss taking our hot rod Mopars up and down 4th. Ave. and then going to that little place in Ashland where all of the hot rods hung out (OMG I cant believe I cant remember the name of the place, was it Bluegrass?) anyhow it was a little restuarant and the hot rods would just run circles around it all night. Im talking about the mid to late 70's, and I remember that my buddies finally talked me into going to the Keith Albee to see that new movie that had been there for at least three months called "Star Wars" and I always said I was prolly the last person in town to see it (what year was that?) Oh and I certainly remember one thing and that was the $20- OZ's! Yep thats how much it was when I got started. Those were the days! And its a miracle I remember any of it...
alligator jackson

Huntington, WV

#16 Apr 8, 2011
remember the midnight movie - rocky horror picture show played forever it seems
lol2

United States

#17 Apr 8, 2011
alligator jackson wrote:
they did bring 1896 back once before, it's probably beyond repair now
I don't remember Jet Ray but do remember Burger Chef and Bordon Burger.
Yes Coachman's Club was on 9street, I also remember the Inferno Club with telephones on the tables, they tried that again too. One of my favs was Houston's in Ceredo until it went country and ruined it
Telephones on the tables? For what?
I remember

Hadley, PA

#18 Apr 8, 2011
lol2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Telephones on the tables? For what?
each table had a phone on it and a sign above the table with a lit up sign saying what the table number was you could pick up the phone and (rotary) dial the number above the table you wanted to talk to...a lot of prank calls went on from table to table I remember them well and was actually just telling my son about this the other day
90s chick

Charleston, WV

#19 Apr 8, 2011
pure innocence wrote:
I agree with you AJ, but I miss the steak sandwich at Dwight's with that deep fried bun, yummy!! Wasn't the Coachman club on 9th st between 5th and 6th Ave? That's the one I remember, it was actually an old train car.

OMG i miss dwight's so much! i was just talking about how i would drive into town late at night and get a steak-sandwich!!! if someone else in town would bring back some of these types of places with the same ambience and nastalgia, they would make a mint!!!
Miss Practicality

South Hill, VA

#20 Apr 8, 2011
You can't recreate the ambience of a place that on any given evening hosted race car drivers, cowboys, metalheads, drag queens, druggies, college students, poets, good 'ole boys, punks, insomniacs and great, tough waitresses all at the same time! It's over, and you were either there or you weren't.
90s chick

Charleston, WV

#21 Apr 8, 2011
Miss Practicality wrote:
You can't recreate the ambience of a place that on any given evening hosted race car drivers, cowboys, metalheads, drag queens, druggies, college students, poets, good 'ole boys, punks, insomniacs and great, tough waitresses all at the same time! It's over, and you were either there or you weren't.

gee, if people like you were there i'm glad i wasnt!! LOL but, in all practicality, i think people would enjoy places like that. hence, diners with the 50's feel and decor, are usually popular and profitable places.
pure innocence

Northfork, WV

#22 Apr 9, 2011
Do you remember the Lion's Den in ritter park, Price's bakery (where the Henderson Center is now).
How about the East Drive In Theater and the Tri State Drive In Theater in Chesapeake???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 shootings in 3 hours 47 min Just sayen 1
Lizard Tit on Backpage? 47 min FahQ 7
That feller selling drugs beside the road 2 hr Hmmm 19
America Held Hostage Day 327 3 hr Bert 2
another muder at the huntington mart just happen 3 hr Columbo 25
One less dope dealer in Huntington... Murdered ... 3 hr Colmmm 42
Leut.dial HPD gang war has broken out 3 hr Cookee 37
Buy your assault rifle today 6 hr Sondra Locke 158
The latest Huntington murder 7 hr Friend 27

Huntington Jobs