Cabell Co. Education is a joke!
Zaphod

Chesapeake, OH

#82 May 5, 2013
Fyi wrote:
<quoted text>. My kids don't miss school without a dr ex.... I'm just saying for other parents!!!
Why are you complaining for someone else? Because you like to bitch?
Fyi

Charleston, WV

#83 May 5, 2013
Zaphod wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you complaining for someone else? Because you like to bitch?
. Sure do, and I am one!! I DO NOT like the cc school system at all!!!
R u CP

Charleston, WV

#84 May 5, 2013
Zaphod wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just making excuses. Wv has a big problem with truancy and needs something to motivate parents to make sure their kids go to school. There's an easy solution though. If you don't like it then move. Our state government has the right to make laws regarding public schools. You have the right to move somewhere else if you don't like those laws. Buh bye.
. R u Candice parsons?? U think because u move all the time it will fix a problem??? Nope, don't think so!!!
Zaphod

Chesapeake, OH

#85 May 5, 2013
R u CP wrote:
<quoted text>. R u Candice parsons?? U think because u move all the time it will fix a problem??? Nope, don't think so!!!
Nope No idea who this broad is.
Ted Grooms

United States

#86 May 5, 2013
I think one of the problems is the bad teachers giving the good ones a bad name. I spoke to the superintendent about getting rid of the dead weight. His response was its up to the principles. The principles blame it on the superintendent. All the while the bad teachers keep teaching. HHS is full of dead weight and a worthless principle.
Maybe

Charleston, WV

#87 May 5, 2013
Ted Grooms wrote:
I think one of the problems is the bad teachers giving the good ones a bad name. I spoke to the superintendent about getting rid of the dead weight. His response was its up to the principles. The principles blame it on the superintendent. All the while the bad teachers keep teaching. HHS is full of dead weight and a worthless principle.
. The superintendent should talk to the principles when someone has a problem with a teacher!! Same goes for if someone says something to the principle !! Or maybe if a lot of kids and parents have a problem with the same teachers and the school board wont do anything to help, than maybe a letter to the governor!! I know a couple teachers I would love to write a letter on or write to the harold dispatch about!!
intelijent dad

Chesapeake, OH

#88 May 5, 2013
Maybe wrote:
<quoted text>. The superintendent should talk to the principles when someone has a problem with a teacher!! Same goes for if someone says something to the principle !! Or maybe if a lot of kids and parents have a problem with the same teachers and the school board wont do anything to help, than maybe a letter to the governor!! I know a couple teachers I would love to write a letter on or write to the harold dispatch about!!
Absolutely.
The superintendent should handle all complaints about teachers personally so you can have your "feelings" validated. What a great use of time and resources.
FYI

Charleston, WV

#89 May 5, 2013
nunya wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure do if they're such a special snowflake they need to eat every 3 hours. Maybe you need to take your child to a doctor and get an excuse. And as if they have no break time to eat a couple crackers. God, be dumber. Stop expecting the government to provide your child with every bite he eats.
. I don't, thank u very much!! I do not have to explain myself to u!! I have seen way to much throughout the yrs when I volunteered at the schools!!! So if u don't go to the schools to observe what's going on, than u have no clue!! Maybe u should!!
funny

United States

#90 May 5, 2013
Fyi wrote:
<quoted text>. We r not in a spelling bee! It's just topic, and we don't care!! Fine example of the cc schools for ya!!!
Oh, please. Don't blame the teachers. English/writing/spelling are not complicated subjects. Even my niece who is in the second grade can spell and form better sentences than you (and others on here). I went to Cabell County schools and you don't see my grammar being crap.

This, obviously, is not a spelling bee, but it is a topic where people are complaining that all Cabell County teachers don't know how to teach and aren't intelligent, yet people like you can't even use proper grammar yourself! Very contradicting.
funny

United States

#91 May 5, 2013
little work big pay wrote:
I'm friends with many teachers...guess what? Some smoke pot and abuse prescription drugs. Many drink every time they can. Talk about having affairs too lol.
You think they are ever going to get drug tested...nope.
I'm talking in present tense, not when they were in school.
They are paid very handsomely considering how little they really work. Same with the administration at the BOE.
This is a ridiculous post. Do you know how many people with every kind of job out there have affairs, drink, smoke weed, use prescription drugs, etc? Not just some teachers. We are talking doctors, pilots, garbage men, lawyers, taxi drivers, and every job in between. There will always be a few bad apples in every bunch.

Paid "Very Handsomely"?! Lol. Some teachers actually do their jobs and work very hard to give your children good educations for a pretty lousy pay. Believe it or not, there are quite a few teachers in Cabell Co who have won awards for being great educators. There are also plenty of teachers who do it not for the pay, but for the love of working with kids and educating them. Stop grouping all teachers into one lame category. That's like saying all secretaries, all nurses, all dentists, all hair stylists, all veterinarians, etc are all the same. If one sucks, that must mean they all suck, right? Not. Maybe you all need to educate yourselves on several issues and stop acting so ignorant.
Ironic

United States

#92 May 6, 2013
The most ironic part of all these complaints about teacher salaries is that the teachers are contributing taxes to all the welfare bums to sit at home and bitch on an Internet message board all day. It must be nice to go to Walmart and fill your cart without worrying where the money will come from.
More Ironic

United States

#93 May 6, 2013
My tax dollars pays for worthless teachers that do not perform and collect a check, and in turn they pay for worthless bums to set home. I see both as leaches. The superintendent will get involved in a student issue, but doesn't have the time to rid the county of bad teachers. I would like to compliment the other 75% of teachers busting their butts to educate the kids. The problem is at the top and his band if misfits. The BOE is completely worthless!
not funny

Derry, PA

#94 May 6, 2013
funny wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a ridiculous post. Do you know how many people with every kind of job out there have affairs, drink, smoke weed, use prescription drugs, etc? Not just some teachers. We are talking doctors, pilots, garbage men, lawyers, taxi drivers, and every job in between. There will always be a few bad apples in every bunch.
Paid "Very Handsomely"?! Lol. Some teachers actually do their jobs and work very hard to give your children good educations for a pretty lousy pay. Believe it or not, there are quite a few teachers in Cabell Co who have won awards for being great educators. There are also plenty of teachers who do it not for the pay, but for the love of working with kids and educating them. Stop grouping all teachers into one lame category. That's like saying all secretaries, all nurses, all dentists, all hair stylists, all veterinarians, etc are all the same. If one sucks, that must mean they all suck, right? Not. Maybe you all need to educate yourselves on several issues and stop acting so ignorant.
What is funny about it?

While I agree with you that people in all professions have affairs, consume alcohol, and abuse drugs, that does not mean that it is "ok" for people who work hours daily with children to get a free pass on being tested.

Really, why aren't teachers subject to random drug testing? Can anyone please explain this?

Also, does Mr. Smith seriously earn six figures a year? That is crazy considering Cabell County academic test scores are in the pooper each and every year.

Pay these people based on performance - please.
not funny

Derry, PA

#95 May 6, 2013
little work big pay wrote:
I'm friends with many teachers...guess what? Some smoke pot and abuse prescription drugs. Many drink every time they can. Talk about having affairs too lol.
You think they are ever going to get drug tested...nope.
I'm talking in present tense, not when they were in school.
They are paid very handsomely considering how little they really work. Same with the administration at the BOE.
Topix is probably not the best place to post this.
hhs parent

Huntington, WV

#96 May 6, 2013
not funny wrote:
<quoted text>
What is funny about it?
While I agree with you that people in all professions have affairs, consume alcohol, and abuse drugs, that does not mean that it is "ok" for people who work hours daily with children to get a free pass on being tested.
Really, why aren't teachers subject to random drug testing? Can anyone please explain this?
Also, does Mr. Smith seriously earn six figures a year? That is crazy considering Cabell County academic test scores are in the pooper each and every year.
I agree lets base their pay on the students performance and I bet you will see increase on test scores in a hurry.
Tax payer

United States

#97 May 6, 2013
not funny wrote:
<quoted text>
What is funny about it?
According to the Herald Dispatch he makes $137k. That doesn't include the brand new car, free insurance and gasoline. How about those teacher conventions in Las Vegas? The tax payers are getting fleeced and no one is watching. It's about like the food bank fiasco.
Yeah

United States

#98 May 6, 2013
hhs parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree lets base their pay on the students performance and I bet you will see increase on test scores in a hurry.
Teachers can only do so much when they have kids who don't care about school or doing well on tests. Parents, stop expecting schools to raise your kids and work with them at home. It's really not hard.
C11H17N2NaO2S

Palo Alto, CA

#99 May 6, 2013
How about some fun mathematics for those who feel teachers in WV are getting the shaft when it comes to pay.

These averages were found with a simple Google search and http://www1.salary.com/

Average Salary of a WV Teacher:$38,284
Average Salary WV State Trooper:$45,000
Average Salary of a WV Nurse:$42,000
Average Salary of a WV Computer Network Technician:$38,000
Average Salary of a WV Accountant I:$38,692
Average Salary of a WV Fireman:$35,567
Average Salary of a WV Conservation Officer:$57,000

So looking at the numbers and not applying logic other than standard equality (you know "less than", "greater than", "equal to"), it doesn't appear teachers have it too bad; maybe not as good as a conservation officer, nurse, or a WV State Trooper, but on par with an accountant or computer network technician.

But here's the rub so many of you are itching to say. Computer Network technicians or Account I are more entry level and don't account for promotion, where as the teacher figure is the average of all teachers. Fair point, but network technicians promote to management and teachers can promote to principals, BOE members, etc.

Now here's my rub. When looking at annual salaries, you AREN"T comparing Apples to Apples because teachers do not work the entire year. So what is the typical year for a teacher: 180 School days / 5 days per week = 36 weeks. The average worker, earning a two week vacation: 52 weeks - 2 week vacation = 50 weeks. 36 / 50 = 72%, so teachers only work 72% of what an ordinary worker, works.

So if we use the weeks worked per year to determine a weekly salary, we find that:

Teachers:$38,284 / 36 =$1063.45
State Trooper:$45,000 / 50 =$900
Nurse:$42,000 / 50 =$840
Computer Network Technician:$38,000 / 50 =$760
Accountant I:$38,692 / 50 =$773.84
Fireman:$35,567 / 50 =$711.34
Conservation Officer:$57,000 / 50 =$1140

Don't stop there, compare your weekly bring home with that of the average teacher and see if you still feel that they are so grossly underpaid.
matt lesko

Topeka, KS

#100 May 6, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers can only do so much when they have kids who don't care about school or doing well on tests. Parents, stop expecting schools to raise your kids and work with them at home. It's really not hard.
Oh you are so right! They can only do so much when they are playing on their cells, touchpads, and laptops when they are supposed to be giving classroom lessons. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, teachers should not be doing drugs including marijuana (it is a drug) or getting flat out drunk either. Like it or not, they are supposed to be role models and sadly hardly any of them are nowadays.

Side note, I doubt anyone who works for the Cabell County Board of Education makes 137k annually. Check your facts before starting stuff about Bill Smith. He's a good man.
matt lesko

Ringe, Denmark

#101 May 6, 2013
C11H17N2NaO2S wrote:
How about some fun mathematics for those who feel teachers in WV are getting the shaft when it comes to pay.
These averages were found with a simple Google search and http://www1.salary.com/
Average Salary of a WV Teacher:$38,284
Average Salary WV State Trooper:$45,000
Average Salary of a WV Nurse:$42,000
Average Salary of a WV Computer Network Technician:$38,000
Average Salary of a WV Accountant I:$38,692
Average Salary of a WV Fireman:$35,567
Average Salary of a WV Conservation Officer:$57,000
So looking at the numbers and not applying logic other than standard equality (you know "less than", "greater than", "equal to"), it doesn't appear teachers have it too bad; maybe not as good as a conservation officer, nurse, or a WV State Trooper, but on par with an accountant or computer network technician.
But here's the rub so many of you are itching to say. Computer Network technicians or Account I are more entry level and don't account for promotion, where as the teacher figure is the average of all teachers. Fair point, but network technicians promote to management and teachers can promote to principals, BOE members, etc.
Now here's my rub. When looking at annual salaries, you AREN"T comparing Apples to Apples because teachers do not work the entire year. So what is the typical year for a teacher: 180 School days / 5 days per week = 36 weeks. The average worker, earning a two week vacation: 52 weeks - 2 week vacation = 50 weeks. 36 / 50 = 72%, so teachers only work 72% of what an ordinary worker, works.
So if we use the weeks worked per year to determine a weekly salary, we find that:
Teachers:$38,284 / 36 =$1063.45
State Trooper:$45,000 / 50 =$900
Nurse:$42,000 / 50 =$840
Computer Network Technician:$38,000 / 50 =$760
Accountant I:$38,692 / 50 =$773.84
Fireman:$35,567 / 50 =$711.34
Conservation Officer:$57,000 / 50 =$1140
Don't stop there, compare your weekly bring home with that of the average teacher and see if you still feel that they are so grossly underpaid.
When looking at how much time off teachers get then yes they are paid far too much. Just because they can't budget their salaries very well in their personal lives does not mean they are not being overpaid for the amount of time they put in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
West Virginia State Police 9 min The Original WATC... 41
CHH Board Members---Do Your Job ! 13 min The Original WATC... 3
Predictions for Herd football 2017 34 min carol 17
Hospitals with HIGHEST INFECTION Rates Past 3 Y... 46 min Second Opinion 61
Only 37% think Dem party stands for something 1 hr Blue pill 3
for desendents of slaves in america 2 1 hr the central pathway 83
Arizona Tells Armed Drivers How To Avoid Deadly... 1 hr MarkJ- 1
Jimmy Hysell tip on samantha Burns body 2 hr Two 4 one 67

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web