Frisco, TX

#1 Jan 13, 2011
Is it a good place to work?
wry bout ur self

Rockford, MI

#2 Jan 13, 2011
concerned wrote:
Is it a good place to work?
definitely not. They mandate u everyday. N u r only allowed 2 refusals after that they fire u. They treat there employees like shit. Go to heritage manner.
concerned

Frisco, TX

#3 Jan 13, 2011
Yea heard alot of bad things just wanted to confirm
Runnn

Charleston, WV

#4 Jan 13, 2011
dont even waste your time there .. they are always having the state called on them.. have people teaching classes there that arent even licensed and qualified to do so.. they mandate constantly, and sometimes youre left working a whole floor by yourself.
kayla

Huntington, WV

#5 Jan 13, 2011
wow i have a interview there tomorrow for the cna class.. what would you reccomend?
1 post removed
wry bout ur self

Ashley, MI

#7 Jan 14, 2011
kayla wrote:
wow i have a interview there tomorrow for the cna class.. what would you reccomend?
go to heritage manner. They pay u for goin to there cna class
to waste of time

Beckley, WV

#8 Jan 17, 2011
Why should 80% of nurses there have their license revoked? Are you a nurse? I worked there for 2 1/2 years as a lpn on the floor. There were a few nurses that were not fit to have a license. There were also some who were very caring and tried to do their jbs to best of their ability. I am one of them. The lpn work load is horrible. The mandation part is true for cna's and nurses.
midawn

Ashburn, VA

#9 Jan 17, 2011
I am always amazed to hear the attitudes of health care workers regarding forced overtime and understaffing. It seems to me that these are things one should be aware of before entering into that particular field.

It's like hearing ems workers complain about pay (granted, it is terribly low, but...). No one gets into ems to get rich, and everyone knows that illnesses and injuries don't work around certain schedules. That's just how it is.

As to HHR, I have to say that I was very pleased with most employees encountered when my mother was there. The staff did appear to have a lot of work...but...most of them seemed competent enough to handle it, and didn't act aggravated or upset. Perhaps we were simply lucky, and my mother was on a floor where the workers wanted those jobs because they really wanted to care for people.

I have known very few people in the medical field expecting to "clock out" at the same time every day or night. These aren't just "jobs", like being a cashier at Walmart or being a teller at a bank.

I would encourage you to work wherever you have the opportunity to do the work you are choosing to do, and caring for people as you obviously want to do in choosing this career.

How did your interview go?
waste of time

United States

#10 Jan 18, 2011
to waste of time wrote:
Why should 80% of nurses there have their license revoked? Are you a nurse? I worked there for 2 1/2 years as a lpn on the floor. There were a few nurses that were not fit to have a license. There were also some who were very caring and tried to do their jbs to best of their ability. I am one of them. The lpn work load is horrible. The mandation part is true for cna's and nurses.
I am a nurse now, at the time I worked there I was a CNA. Don't get me wrong there are wonderful nurses and aid's there just like anywhere else, but most of them didnt give two craps about their residents and it was pretty obvious because they would take the residents medication and get high from it.
It's pathetic.
wtf

United States

#11 Jan 18, 2011
My mom works there & has for more than 12 years! They are doing anything & everything to get rid of all the ppl that's been there the longest so they don't have to pay as much... She's told me stories of ppl dying that shouldn't have if the nurses would do there jobs....it's a lousy place to work & a horrible place to put the ppl u love!!!!
midawn

Ashburn, VA

#12 Jan 18, 2011
Having had relatives in various nursing homes, it seems to me that, if the family is involved and visiting regularly (not just once a month or a few times a year, but several days out of every week...or better yet, every day!), abuses never get a chance to happen.

Elderly abuse is a terrible, horrible thing...but...you don't just "put away" an elderly relative and never see them, while expecting high quality, compassionate care. When abuse happens, a lot of "blame" falls on absentee relatives who only show up when they smell money from a lawsuit.

No excuse for rarely visiting a loved on in a nursing home. NO excuse. That's pathetic.
just me

Charleston, WV

#13 Jan 18, 2011
if you go to Heritage Manor....Please do all you can to take care and be concerned about the patients. Why am I saying this ??

My great grandmother lived there. Every week when I went to visit it ALWAYS smelled like piss. She was always put in her wheelchair and never went to rehab to get out of the chair the only time I wasn't there to help her myself was when I had given birth and I couldn't see her for 2 wks. When I was able to get once I was allowed to drive, she was crying about how bad her rear end was hurting. I got her up and she had bed sores all over rear.

Then November 2006 she was in her bed and wasn't able to get up quick enough to her chair and had a bowel movement on herself. She called the nurses desk 2x and after 20 mins they had not got there to help her get cleaned up. So she tried to do it herself and slipped, falling and breaking her hip AND her neck. She passed away a week later.

Nursing homes NEVER have enough staff and the ones they do have are overworked or are only there for a paycheck. These residents need to be taken care of A LOT better than what they are. Some people seem to forget alot of them were the back bone of how this country started by their hard work.
formeremployee

United States

#14 Jan 24, 2011
First and foremost I am not a disgruntled employee I left on good terms as a responsible adult should. The question is, is it a good place to work. The answer, no. The whole building is full of drama and worse than a daytime sitcom with the childish backstabbing, lusting scandals, and high school gossip. Management is poor and reminds me of the cool click in high school where anyone who isn't a brown noser is personally disliked without any credit to regards of ability to perform a job better than well done at the end of the day. It gets even worse because corporate is behind the lies and manipulation and the union acts scared half the time. They get paid by employees and it seems like management as well. If you are on the "other side" you are deemed a black sheep. People get bullied by others and the DON and administrator does nothing to protect its employees. It's short staffed 9 months a year. October November and december is the only time there's staff for obvious reasons and it's a cold day in hell before someone in management will work one shift for someone to go home that's work 4 extra shifts that week. Lately, it's like the building is run by and lpn and the beat way to the top is to sleep your way there. Getting time off there is asking for the administrator to walk her own dog. There's a no rehire status there unless you've performed under the desk for the DON. To say the least it's poorly ran. The best person in management was brought in by corporate to fill in briefly and that's because she didn't play in the game, didn't gang up with the rest of the seaseme street. Don't work there unless you want to lose your freedom and be stressed all day.
lived at huntington healt

Charleston, WV

#15 Jan 26, 2011
I was a patient at hhr and my stay was wonderful. The staff was caring and friendly,the food was good aswell. My nurses always gave me my medication and answerd any of my questions.The cna's made me laugh daily and waited on me like a king. As for the management and how they treated the employees I never heard anyone complaining and most of my workers had been there a while so they must like it there.
wtf

United States

#16 Jan 26, 2011
lived at huntington healt wrote:
I was a patient at hhr and my stay was wonderful. The staff was caring and friendly,the food was good aswell. My nurses always gave me my medication and answerd any of my questions.The cna's made me laugh daily and waited on me like a king. As for the management and how they treated the employees I never heard anyone complaining and most of my workers had been there a while so they must like it there.
That's cause they would have gotten into trouble if u heard them complain!!! The cnas from what I hear are really good... But they get into trouble over every lil thing they do even if it's taking time to make you laugh!!! They are there to make u feel comfortable but the management doesn't agree... In their eyes the employees aren't supposed to form bonds with the clts
Abby Z

Huntington, WV

#17 Jan 28, 2011
If people only knew half the story about what goes on in this facility. I believe it should be broadcast on every news station, publicized in every newspaper across the globe. I have the advantage as a former family member that moved about the facility, I saw all, I heard all. There are many different forms of abuse and not only the residents get punished, but the staff as well. The reason no one complains about the place and the treatment is because if they do, one of managements rats will gather information and report it all back to the uppers and then it is "off with their heads", literally. I hear people scream and cry for help, call lights going off for countless minutes and these poor people lying in their own urine and feces because there just isn't enough time in a Cna or lpn's day to perform every task that management expects to be done. It has become a place of dred and a place of the most heartless money hungry people I have ever encountered. There are some wonderful people that are employed there, people who have dedicated their lives to the patients and their well being, but even those long timers are getting tired, you can see the stress and unhappiness in their faces, but noone cares to see them or try to improve their circumstance,as long as Managment makes their money, has a pretty facility or should I say updated floor because, only one floor gets the attention, I am assuming because that is the floor people see when they come in. It is all a hoax, it is all fake and it is all for show. Some of the most heartless,uncaring bunch of people. I am thankful I took my family member out of there and I am thankful my Baba didn't have to die there in misery.They smile in your face and jump to make things seem ideal, but when you leave,it all changes. Mommy or daddy or grandmaw or popaw get nothing unless you are a family fortunate enough to have money or clout, then it is a bed of roses and special meals. I feel so sorry for the employees there that earnestly care and get bullied for their kindness. I will never recommend this facility to anyone, not even my enemies.
HmMmm

Huntington, WV

#18 Jan 28, 2011
midawn wrote:
I am always amazed to hear the attitudes of health care workers regarding forced overtime and understaffing. It seems to me that these are things one should be aware of before entering into that particular field.
It's like hearing ems workers complain about pay (granted, it is terribly low, but...). No one gets into ems to get rich, and everyone knows that illnesses and injuries don't work around certain schedules. That's just how it is.
As to HHR, I have to say that I was very pleased with most employees encountered when my mother was there. The staff did appear to have a lot of work...but...most of them seemed competent enough to handle it, and didn't act aggravated or upset. Perhaps we were simply lucky, and my mother was on a floor where the workers wanted those jobs because they really wanted to care for people.
I have known very few people in the medical field expecting to "clock out" at the same time every day or night. These aren't just "jobs", like being a cashier at Walmart or being a teller at a bank.
I would encourage you to work wherever you have the opportunity to do the work you are choosing to do, and caring for people as you obviously want to do in choosing this career.
How did your interview go?
People shouldn't expect to go home every single day on time...it's not really logical to expect that..however, when you are staying over 4 out of the 5 scheduled shifts...how do you expect to give adequate care when you are barely able to take care of yourself because you are sick from being overworked and sleep deprived?
Gemini

Richmond, VA

#19 Jan 28, 2011
I also heard alot about this place an my mother is there now.I want to believe the place was safe an clean.When I walk in people act as if they doing there thing an it;s probably true when the fam leaves it's back to chit chatting.I'm not saying they aren't doing there job.I got a call today to ask if they can move my mom an to put another lady there when I was told they had other folks they could have moved.Mon morning I'm asking them to move her back to her room.She's already fell down three times an they put mats down.I too am concerned for my mom safety.I go there everyday walk in whenever an my other family members do to.I have a aunt that fuss everytime she go in there.She keep them on there toes she think they play around way to much.
To Gemini

Charleston, WV

#20 Jan 28, 2011
Is ur name kim yates
Bwaaahhh ha ha ha ha

Hurricane, WV

#21 Mar 1, 2011
The initial question: Is this a good place to work?
As a former employee of my own choice, I can say 'no'. The rants/raves of others here are true especially about the 'under desk DON job requirement', the nonexistent employee complaint dept, and people needing to be more involved with their families care.
Long hours are involved with four or five days in a row of mandation (16+ hours/day) for LPN's AND CNA's alike. As a nurse, you get mandated for CNA 'holes' which is basic care of the residents but you will find that it's MORE than that because you're a NURSE and still have to practice as one even though that day you're a CNA.
Management Staff (NHA, DON, ADON, Unit Mgrs, and Scheduling Dept) worry too much on the 'appearances' of things as opposed to the actual care given to the residents there. It never ceased to amaze me that they were more worried about the paper towels in the trash cans than the spread of disease.
At HHR it's a drama filled work environment where all your 'friends' are talking behind your back. Unit Mgrs seek out to destroy nurses and aid's careers alike. One particular U.Mgr overdosed at her desk but was allowed to come back to work there after being released from the hospital.??? The DON requests sexual favors and makes lewd remarks to female staff members while in the stairwells. The ADON and the LPN U.Mgr were said to have been smoking marijuana together after work. The NHA's attitude toward most all employee's is very authoritative and poor, unless you are part of the "cool clique" you're treated like she stepped in poo and you're the paper towel to used to clean it off her shoe.
The facility itself is severely understaffed and management refuses to help out. Even if they do have a Nursing License, they wouldn't stoop so low as to put them to use.
When I was hired, I was told the mandation rate was very low and that the upper mgmt staff (DON, ADON, MDS depts, etc) would pitch in and split shifts but, in the year of working there, I was never given 'relief' by any said staff members EVEN after I had requested to split shifts. I had already worked my 4th day in a row of 16+ hour shifts and was looking at my 5th when I was told "You can refuse it but you'll get fired". I resorted to diet pills (given to me by the ADON) and caffeine just to make it through the last 6 hours of the 82 hour work week.
If the sheer exhaustion, being regarded as a warm body, being told 'you're not paid to think' on a daily basis, and the general low employee morale wouldn't put you over the edge then I'd say get ya a job at HHR!!

I see nursing homes as a temporary care facility where family members should be WELCOMED and great care should be given to each and every patient there. Not just certain patients or floors. Nurses and CNA's alike have far too great of workloads regulated by the federal government and insurance companies. I encourage ALL citizens to write their Congress members explaining that the LPN/CNA-patient ratio needs greatly reduced. One LPN for 35 residents is a cause for disaster. One CNA for 16-20 residents should be considered 'abuse' in itself!! Support your Nurses and Aid's alike!! Without them, who will care for YOU when disaster hits??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tom McCallister banned from city hall 16 min Randy 3
Lesage shooting 49 min Justice 26
OJ Mayo gets what he deserves 55 min Willy 1
10th ave east end 1 hr steve 6
Lekeisha Rochelle Bowles- Macy's 2 hr Pray 8
4th of July is Robin Nolan Day! 2 hr Nancy 2
Phillip Bryant (Jul '14) 3 hr Past 12

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance