First Prev
of 11
Next Last
smartypants

Palmyra, VA

#1 Sep 6, 2012
The Goodwills in the area are getting outrageous. They have raised prices yet again. Changed the operations of the stores. seems like they don't care about customers and why they shop and support goodwill. Everything is donated, but some of the prices are right up there with department stores, where the clothes are NEW. just makes no sense at all. i shop there regularly and used to find anything. I took care of not only my family, but others as well. Can't find anything anymore. I thought Goodwill wanted to help people that are less fortunate and lets face it, nowadays, most of us can be considered less fortunate.

Level 1

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#2 Sep 6, 2012
I was at the Lavalette goodwill yesterday, and they were removing all the $1.00 tables. Jeans are now $6.00 a pair.
GW employee

Ardsley, NY

#3 Sep 6, 2012
smartypants wrote:
The Goodwills in the area are getting outrageous. They have raised prices yet again. Changed the operations of the stores. seems like they don't care about customers and why they shop and support goodwill. Everything is donated, but some of the prices are right up there with department stores, where the clothes are NEW. just makes no sense at all. i shop there regularly and used to find anything. I took care of not only my family, but others as well. Can't find anything anymore. I thought Goodwill wanted to help people that are less fortunate and lets face it, nowadays, most of us can be considered less fortunate.
I work at one of the Goodwills and it is our mission to help those needing a hand up. We appreciate our customers who help us do that, however we have employees to pay and bills that have to be payed as well. When the prices went up about four years ago, that was the first raise in prices for about 15 years. 6.00 is not a lot to pay for a pair of American Eagle, Hollister or 7for all mankind jeans. 1.75 is not outrageous for children's clothing.
I'm sorry you choose not to shop with us, but our mission will not change and we will continue our services to those who need them.
Wow

Strongsville, OH

#4 Sep 6, 2012
It's pretty crappy! I'm sure we all understand that you have bills too, but goodwill has everything donated! I know I sure as hell won't pay almost full price for things that are very used, when I can pay 5$ more for brand new? I am no longer a goodwill shopper.
lol

Huntington, WV

#5 Sep 6, 2012
I did community service at the goodwill in the west end for about 4 months. the majority of the people working there was doing community service with the exception of a couplpe people that were disabled and our lead lady who approved how the clothes were hung and priced everything. I recall her asking me several time what to price things such as furniture. the prices are expensive considering they can be found at a rummage sale for a fraction of the cost
GW employee

Ardsley, NY

#6 Sep 6, 2012
lol wrote:
I did community service at the goodwill in the west end for about 4 months. the majority of the people working there was doing community service with the exception of a couplpe people that were disabled and our lead lady who approved how the clothes were hung and priced everything. I recall her asking me several time what to price things such as furniture. the prices are expensive considering they can be found at a rummage sale for a fraction of the cost
lol, I'm certain an employee would not ask your opinion on prices. As for the Community Service Workers, most employers won't allow them to do their CS at their places, so Goodwill is doing them as service and vice versa. I've never known a CSW to do 4 months in one of our centers.
GW employee

Ardsley, NY

#7 Sep 6, 2012
Wow wrote:
It's pretty crappy! I'm sure we all understand that you have bills too, but goodwill has everything donated! I know I sure as hell won't pay almost full price for things that are very used, when I can pay 5$ more for brand new? I am no longer a goodwill shopper.
Sorry you feel that way but I think you will pay more than 7.75 for Vera Wang brand new. You all who are complaining.......continue to shop at Walmart, a place that tells lies to move into communities, runs small businesses out and gives their employees less than 40 hours per week.

We appreciate our customers and donors for their continued support!
Yea

Ardsley, NY

#8 Sep 6, 2012
GW employee wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, I'm certain an employee would not ask your opinion on prices. As for the Community Service Workers, most employers won't allow them to do their CS at their places, so Goodwill is doing them as service and vice versa. I've never known a CSW to do 4 months in one of our centers.
I saw that happen several times when I worked for GW
GW employee

Ardsley, NY

#9 Sep 6, 2012
Yea wrote:
<quoted text>I saw that happen several times when I worked for GW
saw what happen?
lol

Huntington, WV

#10 Sep 6, 2012
If you want to save money go to JCPENNY'S the first and third weekends of the month. They mark things down then went the past weekend and got 2 shirts for $2.00 total. BRAND NEW. You can find bargains if you just look. My total weekend purchases were 6 shirts a skirt and a new dress under $29.00. All brand new. Add that up andcompare it to goodwill prices for used clothing.
goodwill loyal customer

Ardsley, NY

#11 Sep 6, 2012
lol wrote:
If you want to save money go to JCPENNY'S the first and third weekends of the month. They mark things down then went the past weekend and got 2 shirts for $2.00 total. BRAND NEW. You can find bargains if you just look. My total weekend purchases were 6 shirts a skirt and a new dress under $29.00. All brand new. Add that up andcompare it to goodwill prices for used clothing.
Sounds like some people(person) has an axe to grind with Goodwill! Grow up!

Since: Aug 12

Huntington, WV

#12 Sep 6, 2012
Very outrageous, quit going there years ago.
Poopwilll

United States

#13 Sep 6, 2012
This place really is no longer a meca for finding deals. Everything just went up 400 percent at all locations.
sunny

Ardsley, NY

#14 Sep 6, 2012
GW employee wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry you feel that way but I think you will pay more than 7.75 for Vera Wang brand new. You all who are complaining.......continue to shop at Walmart, a place that tells lies to move into communities, runs small businesses out and gives their employees less than 40 hours per week.

I think you are so busy trying to defend Goodwill that you are missing the point these clothes are USED AND OLD. Sure department stores have clothes too but they are NEW the point of donating and shopping at Goodwill is to help the less fortunate in our community, create jobs, and give back. So why pay $6 for a pair of old used jeans, no matter what the brand is, when you can go to gabes and pay 5.99 to 9.99 for a new pair?? As far as the name brands you mentioned dont forget those are on a "special" rack and priced as marked. Always $6-$12
perception

Chester, VA

#15 Sep 7, 2012
The day I find a pair of 'sevens' at a tristate goodwill .......
lol

Huntington, WV

#16 Sep 7, 2012
Sounds like some people(person) has an axe to grind with Goodwill! Grow up!

I do not have an axe to Grind with Goodwill. I was just pointing out that you can buy NEW clothes around the same cost as Goodwill if you just know where to look.I think that Goodwill serves the community and those are disabled who otherwise can not find a job elsewhere. It is an admirable compnay. Every person likes to buy new clothes occasionlly no matter what their personal budget allows. I have no qualms at all going to Goowwill at all and looking to see what they have. I have found several good purchases from Goodwill as well when looking for bargains.
1 post removed
mimi

United States

#18 Sep 7, 2012
GW employee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you feel that way but I think you will pay more than 7.75 for Vera Wang brand new. You all who are complaining.......continue to shop at Walmart, a place that tells lies to move into communities, runs small businesses out and gives their employees less than 40 hours per week.
i have shopped goodwill especially the west end one for years. i was in there last week. it is so much like a department store now. the prices on the nick nacks are outrageous, candles half burned are 2.50 and 3.50. just last year they were 50 cents to 75 cents. cannot believe anyone would pay the price when you can buy brand new one at family dollar for 2 dollars. the clothes have changed also. i just to find vintage, really cute clothes for women. now they all look like old ladies clothes. the same sweaters hve been there for weeks and weeks. i think the employees have first pick at least that is what i have heard. and for the employees that are justifying the price hike, the stuff is donated. there is no reason to raise prices. you can go to gabs and buy jeans for 5 dollars on the clearance rack. yes, i just loved goodwill in the past. but i am not shopping there anymore. brand new shoes from target are 10 dollars now. ridiculous. just went to target and they had clearance shoes for 6 dollars. where is the justice? rummage sales and estate sales are the way to go. Goodwill has a bad reputation now.
smartypants

Palmyra, VA

#19 Sep 7, 2012
Goodwill justifies themselves by saying that they have employees to pay as well as bills. News flash-everyone has bills, and I have talked to some of the employees and they are payed minimum wage, and if anymore, just a few cents higher. And as far as claiming to have high end merchandise is a joke. It is a rarity for Goodwill to have designer clothing, let alone popular name brands. Its just junk stores trying to spruce things up to charge people an arm and a leg.
Gallon of gas $3.89
Gallon of milk $3.42
pair of (used) jeans at goodwill $6.00
THATS PERSPECTIVE

Level 9

Since: Aug 11

Huntington, WV

#20 Sep 8, 2012
Dont go.
Bee Keeper

Nitro, WV

#21 Sep 8, 2012
I hear what you are saying, I used to love to go to the Barboursville location,everyone was so friendly and happy, not so anymore especially that blacl woman. She always has a cob up her butt and the one that used to work at the West End, Those two I can do without. The manager tells us that they are making changes for the better, better for who????? I do know that they are not allowed to shop at the store they work at anymore. None of the Goodwills can.I have to say that it is the most well kept one I've been in locally. I have a flea market booth and I can't pay the prices and make profit too.I do know for a fact that Barboursville has two young men working there a couple of days a week each that could otherwise not find work. They have learning issues and they train people to go out into the workforce. I don't agree with some of the changes but who am I to judge????? If something is to high for my budget I don't buy it. But I do love to go in and kill time of a lonesome day and just look around and talk to the employees or other people that are shopping. Don't be too harsh on them, they mean well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Results/Jeremy Chris 34 min Frontier DSL 3
Another disgruntled liberal shoots up a school 36 min Soap ona rope 138
America Held Hostage Day 396 2 hr MarkJ- 3
Stripper at JB's 2 hr Tjizzle82 41
Prestera DUI class. 3 hr bs 12
Fergie embarrassing black people. 3 hr Hmmmmmmm 15
America Held Hostage Day 395 3 hr NMP 18

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance