Ripped off by stone Crest animal clinic!

Ripped off by stone Crest animal clinic!

Posted in the Huntington Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dog owner

Lynchburg, VA

#1 Apr 29, 2013
We recently bought a dog from the pound.$50 and it came with paper work for a free nutter and 1st vet visit. We went to stone crest bc it was close to our house. Go to get the dog and my bill was $180. They did testing without my permission. Gave me meds and gave him more shots when the pound already had him up to date on shots. Has this happened to anyone else?
uhoh

Logan, WV

#2 Apr 29, 2013
You really should have refused to pay that bill. That has happened at a few vets around Huntington and you needed to speak with the office manager to get it resolved. Many vets will do blood work before a spay or neuter to check for heart worms. If they didn't, and they put the dog under anesthesia and the dog did have heart worms, there's a good chance it would die. It's a precautionary thing. All vets do need to tell you about it first before actually doing it.

Level 2

Since: Jun 11

Earth

#3 Apr 29, 2013
You should have gone to South Huntington Animal Hospital down 5th street road. Dr. Fulks is the best!
concerned

Huntington, WV

#4 Apr 29, 2013
Dog owner wrote:
We recently bought a dog from the pound.$50 and it came with paper work for a free nutter and 1st vet visit. We went to stone crest bc it was close to our house. Go to get the dog and my bill was $180. They did testing without my permission. Gave me meds and gave him more shots when the pound already had him up to date on shots. Has this happened to anyone else?
No but glad you are asking so this won't happen to others
Dog owner

Lynchburg, VA

#5 Apr 30, 2013
I only paid a little part of the bill and I haven't recieved a bill for the rest. I questioned the whole thing and was very mad. My neighbors bought a dog from the pound a month before we did. When they took him to the vet they paid nothing. Which is how the pound advertises it. Trust me..... We will NEVER go back to Stone crest again.
Jill

Vandergrift, PA

#6 Apr 30, 2013
I am sorry you went though that at the clinic. I took my dogs there i was always asked first about certain tests and was told the cost up front. Maybe you should talk to the vet his self and see what happen's. I agree with you it is wrong to do this to people without being asked first. Good luck and thank you for getting a baby from the pound they need good homes and love.
good vet

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Apr 30, 2013
I agree this shouldn't happen to anyone, but I have never had anything but good visits with Stonecrest.
They have always told me of any charges up front or even called me at home before proceeding.
I would recommend them.
uhoh

Logan, WV

#8 Apr 30, 2013
Dog owner wrote:
I only paid a little part of the bill and I haven't recieved a bill for the rest. I questioned the whole thing and was very mad. My neighbors bought a dog from the pound a month before we did. When they took him to the vet they paid nothing. Which is how the pound advertises it. Trust me..... We will NEVER go back to Stone crest again.
Yes, when adopting a shelter pet, the spay/neuter is free, along with the vet visit. Only thing you should pay for are the pain meds (kinda mean to not get those for your pet after surgery, especially for a female). Pain meds are under $20, which isn't bad at all.
vet assistant

United States

#9 Apr 30, 2013
Bill sounds reasonable. Some pretesting is required for certain procedures. I paid nearly 2000.00 to have a tumor removed from my cat.

It costs real money to operate a vet office or animal hospital. A 200.00 office visit is not unreasonable.
Especially with a stray from the pound not knowing the animal's health history. You need to read the bill and see what services were performed for the money. Most vets I know do not do procedures unnecessary.
true

Logan, WV

#10 Apr 30, 2013
vet assistant wrote:
Bill sounds reasonable. Some pretesting is required for certain procedures. I paid nearly 2000.00 to have a tumor removed from my cat.
It costs real money to operate a vet office or animal hospital. A 200.00 office visit is not unreasonable.
Especially with a stray from the pound not knowing the animal's health history. You need to read the bill and see what services were performed for the money. Most vets I know do not do procedures unnecessary.
I know a few vets that have done the heart worm blood testing before starting the spay or neuter procedure and don't inform the pet parent about it and the reasoning as to why they do it. Which is actually pretty important.
Dog owner

Lynchburg, VA

#11 Apr 30, 2013
vet assistant wrote:
Not saying that what was done was unnessecary.just saying they should of informed me upfront. I didn't have $180 that day. I almost left my house without my purse. I signed papers before they took my dog and I actually declined 2 procedures. If they test for heart worms before they neuter then that should be said up front. It wasnt. They offered for me not to take the pain mess and have it taken off my bill. I couldn't do that to that poor dog.
Jim

Alexandria, VA

#12 May 1, 2013
I seriously doubt that you are telling the whole story. I have taken my dogs there for years and have NEVER encountered anything like you are describing.
My guess is that you " dropped the ball" somewhere and now you are blaming Stonecrest.

Big Jim
okay

Huntington, WV

#13 May 1, 2013
i try to use the place years ago but after the visit i decide i didn`t because everyone their was so rude and started using the huntington dog and cat hospital and i not saying this place for everyone but if you are looking for a vet for pets give them a chance and if try ayers on 20th st
No Way

Ironton, OH

#14 May 1, 2013
vet assistant wrote:
You are bat shit crazy! I can't believe people would spend $2000 on a cat surgery when there are children starving to death in this country. Just because people do things with good intentions doesn't make it right. If you charge me $2000 for something, you better be an MD and it better be one of my kids that needs surgery.
Some people are just foolish, self entitled morons!
Dog owner

Lynchburg, VA

#15 May 1, 2013
Jim wrote:
I seriously doubt that you are telling the whole story. I have taken my dogs there for years and have NEVER encountered anything like you are describing.
My guess is that you " dropped the ball" somewhere and now you are blaming Stonecrest.
Big Jim
"Dropped the ball" what's that even mean? It is the story. I do feel that they know they were in the wrong bc I've never received a bill in the mail. I will not be paying it if I do. What would I gain about lying? Nothing. Just wondered if this had happened to anyone else. Maybe they thought they could get over on a young woman with kids. I don't know. I was be we even introduced to the vet. I thought that was strange, but like unsaid this was my 1st time ever taking an animal to the vet.
wrong

Logan, WV

#16 May 1, 2013
No Way wrote:
<quoted text>
You are bat shit crazy! I can't believe people would spend $2000 on a cat surgery when there are children starving to death in this country. Just because people do things with good intentions doesn't make it right. If you charge me $2000 for something, you better be an MD and it better be one of my kids that needs surgery.
Some people are just foolish, self entitled morons!
There are people in this world who treat their animals like kids and there is nothing wrong with it at all. When you adopt an animal, you should take on the responsibility of knowing that if something were to happen to the animal, you'd fix it. My husband and I had absolutely no problem in saving our cat when he needed help. We didn't care about the cost, we told our vet to do whatever necessary. Thank God we did because if we wouldn't have, he never would have made it. He's worth every single penny. You also need to realize that some people may not have children so their pets become their children. Also, some people, like myself, also do what I can for humanity and those less fortunate. So, no one is crazy for spending any amount on saving their furry friends if it means saving their life. I feel bad for your pets knowing that if one were to get sick, hit by a car, etc, it would probably be a death sentence for it instead of saving it.
Crazy Americans

Montréal, Canada

#17 May 1, 2013
You people abort children every day yet spend thousands to keep an animal alive?
wrong

Logan, WV

#18 May 1, 2013
Crazy Americans wrote:
You people abort children every day yet spend thousands to keep an animal alive?
Who are "You People"? I've never had a child or aborted one. Never ever would do so for I believe it is wrong. So, for now, my "Pets" are my family. Not every American is for abortion, so I'm kinda unsure of what you're talking about.
Pig

Alexandria, VA

#19 May 1, 2013
Crazy Americans wrote:
STFU TROLL!
person lover

Nitro, WV

#20 May 1, 2013
Pig wrote:
<quoted text> STFU TROLL!
troll or not, they gotta good point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Atty General - CHH SMMC takeover 8 min Transparency 56
IMSI CATCHERS-Are they real? 32 min Transparency 1
smmc board and ceo thread 36 min Billy Barkker 80
Hospital Racketeering (Jan '15) 40 min Patient 91
Healthcare Fraud 50 min Patient 65
Billi Crutcher is hookin again 50 min beautifulgirl 2
New book written by Jennifer Charles Ward 58 min Jennifer Charles ... 8
News W.Va. AG announces antitrust agreement in hospi... 1 hr Patient 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance