CatBird

Huntington, WV

#1 Nov 5, 2013
i would like to hear some stories please.
Babyrn

Huntington, WV

#2 Nov 5, 2013
Well I am a nurse on one of the floors that take care of neonates that are in withdrawal from their mother's use of drugs/methadone/ sub. Etc it is the hardest thing to see. Theses babies with fevers up to 102 with tremors sometimes off the bed. Seizures.. Uncontrollable crying that you can NOT console. Sometimes crying for hours. Not sleeping. Sometimes even for a whole 12 hr shift. Excessive sucking. Excoriation on their buttocks from the liquid/loose stools from withdrawal that you can't use wipes etc. for, sweating. Sneezing. Unable to eat properly due to projectile vomiting.
As a nurse we are their to care for the babies. However as a person and as a mother it is one of the hardest thing to see. Weaning the babies is the same as weaning the mothers. Think how they would feel.
The average stay for an infant that was born to a drug addicted mother is 8 weeks sometimes less sometimes longer. The harder the drugs the longer the withdrawal.
anotherNurse

Huntington, WV

#3 Nov 6, 2013
well as a nurse you should know that a mother on methadone usually is doing for the baby. No doctor in his right mind would never detox a mother you know since that is the worst thing to EVER do. yes drug use is wrong but pregnancy is sometimes unexpected and as a nurse you should know that in the 25 yrs that methadone has been used there is nothing really harmful to the baby. Also as nurse i know you was taught empathy so keep you opinion to yourself and do your job.
terrible

Alexandria, VA

#4 Nov 6, 2013
The mother should immediately lose custody of the baby. No questions asked, no second chances. Once the baby is safely away from the mother she should face charges of child abuse with mandatory minimum sentencing. These selfish women are abusing these babies period and I don't know how you guys that work at the hospitals can stand to see that. Thanks for your hard work and dedication to these innocent children.
nunya

Nashville, TN

#5 Nov 6, 2013
anotherNurse wrote:
well as a nurse you should know that a mother on methadone usually is doing for the baby. No doctor in his right mind would never detox a mother you know since that is the worst thing to EVER do. yes drug use is wrong but pregnancy is sometimes unexpected and as a nurse you should know that in the 25 yrs that methadone has been used there is nothing really harmful to the baby. Also as nurse i know you was taught empathy so keep you opinion to yourself and do your job.
Excuse you. The person who started this subject said "I would like to hear some stories please." So you can crawl back into the hole you came out of. "You was taught?" If you're an RN I'm a neurosurgeon.
Babyrn

Huntington, WV

#6 Nov 6, 2013
To another nurse. You must not work with neonates who are in active withdrawal. I do my job and I do it very well. It is hard to not feel sorry for neonates who are in withdrawal.
Thank you to nunya for the support. Nunya you are correct the person who placed the post asked for stories.
To Another nurse. I am sorry you have such a negative attitude.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Infidelity at Cross Fit 1 hr Just saying 6
Nathan and Amanda Smith 1 hr Just saying 21
Cody and Kayla from wayne 1 hr cass 4
God I can't wait till obamy is out if office! 1 hr John Q Public 268
Single WOMEN with KIDS are EASY but DONT date THEM (Nov '13) 1 hr Silent Majority 184
Liars Why Do People Lie So Much I'm Curious 1 hr dandieselonian 3
chris trench 1 hr yes man 8
More from around the web

Huntington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]