recent graduate

Buffalo, NY

#1 Sep 25, 2013
I am a recent HS graduate. I am average, nothing special, but not below average.

Because my parents have a good income, I do not qualify for any grants. They do not have a lot of extra money by the time they pay the bills to help me out, but honestly they should not have to anyways.

I am at a crossroads. Many of my friends are borrowing a metric boatload of money to put themselves through school. Some of the people who were upperclassmen when I went to HS have now graduated college and are saying there are no good jobs available for them that pay enough to help pay off their student loan debt. Many of them are working jobs that just pay around 10 dollars an hour.

I am thinking about learning a skilled trade at a tech school instead of borrowing nearly 30 grand to put myself through college to get a 4 year degree. At this point, I do not even know what I would try to get a college degree in.

So, is borrowing money for college a good or bad idea for the average student?
learn a trade

Lavalette, WV

#2 Sep 25, 2013
recent graduate wrote:
Because my parents have a good income, I do not qualify for any grants.
Big bummer isn't it? I think it is bullsh1t! I found this out a few years ago when I graduated. I went to HVAC school and am making around 35000 a year. In a few years I should be right around 45000 a year. After that, I may try to start my own company. I really like what I am doing and the money seems good to me.
The college scam

Canyon Country, CA

#3 Sep 25, 2013
For the vast majority, obtaining a college degree does not mean they will make more money in the work world. Truth is - the economy still sucks and the good paying jobs are far and few in between to be found now. Like the other person said, learn a skilled trade, do not BORROW money to go to college, you will regret it.
lol

Huntington, WV

#4 Sep 25, 2013
recent graduate wrote:
I am a recent HS graduate. I am average, nothing special, but not below average.
Because my parents have a good income, I do not qualify for any grants. They do not have a lot of extra money by the time they pay the bills to help me out, but honestly they should not have to anyways.
I am at a crossroads. Many of my friends are borrowing a metric boatload of money to put themselves through school. Some of the people who were upperclassmen when I went to HS have now graduated college and are saying there are no good jobs available for them that pay enough to help pay off their student loan debt. Many of them are working jobs that just pay around 10 dollars an hour.
I am thinking about learning a skilled trade at a tech school instead of borrowing nearly 30 grand to put myself through college to get a 4 year degree. At this point, I do not even know what I would try to get a college degree in.
...30 grand plus your Obama Care= trouble.
tropical moon

Hurricane, WV

#5 Sep 25, 2013
Lol totally not worth going into debt. I work with some people with degrees lol.

Level 5

Since: Sep 13

Carlsbad, CA

#6 Sep 25, 2013
recent graduate wrote:
It depends what you're planning to study and, frankly, how smart you are. You've asked a salient question, so I assume you're sharp. Now, what would you study?
2 posts removed
wizard

Hurricane, WV

#9 Sep 25, 2013
_-zaphod-_ wrote:
Don't listen to these idiots.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/a/...
On average college grads earn an extra million dollars over their lifetime. It's better to go with the odds. If you're undecided start out at a community college and work towards something.
Looks like a sales ad to me. Of course the govt wants people to borrow money...after all they make money off ofsstudent loans.
2 posts removed
Stuck in debt

Hurricane, WV

#12 Sep 26, 2013
Remember the crash wrote:
<quoted text>
Go with the odds? Tell that to the people who lost their savings and retirements when the market crashed a few years ago. They were all told to "go with the odds".
Do not borrow to go to school young one. If you can scholarship, obtain grants, or have a wealthy family that can afford to send then, then by all means go. Just do not borrow, it will not pay off.
Great point. I am saddled down with a lot of debt and cant find a decent job around here. I am working, but only making a little over 11 dollars per hour telemarketing. I am getting desperate enough to try selling automobiles...gag.
Nancy

Chesapeake, VA

#13 Sep 26, 2013
recent graduate wrote:
Are you seriously asking some one just like you with a High School diploma is it worth it? How would they know if it is worth it? The people on topix will tell you how much money they are making with their HS drop out Degree, when they are looking for jobs and are collecting Gov asst.. Do any thing you can do to improve your chances for a sucessful future even if you have to take pay back a lengthy loan. Don't waste your future!!
learn a trade

Lavalette, WV

#14 Sep 26, 2013
Like I said yesterday kid, go learn a skilled trade.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tisha smith-ramey (Mar '13) 39 min Tisha Smith 26
Frat house idiots 1 hr pike 2
Medical risks not taken seriously 1 hr Teens are Clueless 8
union at cabell 1 hr RNs Organization 2
Any girls wanna watch me stroke my big d*ck on ... (Oct '13) 1 hr pooky 21
Google HPVCausesCancer 1 hr HPV VACCINATIONS 86
Hello my name is zapphod chump 1 hr Bill Hilly 6
More from around the web

Huntington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE