The faces of 'recovery'

The faces of 'recovery'

There are 31 comments on the Point Pleasant Register story from Dec 9, 2013, titled The faces of 'recovery'. In it, Point Pleasant Register reports that:

"The drug problem is even worse than people know about, it's ridiculous how many are addicted to drugs or alcohol and don't have the resources to get the help they need," Sean Harbour, recovering addict from the Gallipolis Ferry area said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Point Pleasant Register.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
come together

United States

#1 Dec 10, 2013
Why docent anybody care enough to do anything about this crisis? Mason county needs help with this. Theirs so many people that want & need the help but don't know where to begin?
It's bad enough that these people are judged so harshly without even knowing the problems that got them there? It's time we come together & help the ones that want the help. Let's try to show kindness and offer support instead of all the name calling & wishing death on somebody mistakes. We've got to give second chances (where needed) or were never going to win the battle of this epidemic.
thanks

United States

#2 Dec 11, 2013
come together wrote:
Why docent anybody care enough to do anything about this crisis? Mason county needs help with this. Theirs so many people that want & need the help but don't know where to begin?
It's bad enough that these people are judged so harshly without even knowing the problems that got them there? It's time we come together & help the ones that want the help. Let's try to show kindness and offer support instead of all the name calling & wishing death on somebody mistakes. We've got to give second chances (where needed) or were never going to win the battle of this epidemic.
I agree, treating people with an addiction like they are worthless or "less than" is just a discouragement, if any one person was worthless, everyone would be, everyone is here for a reason and they are just as important as anyone else, some people just need encouragement, being judgmental will never help anyone
Finally

United States

#3 Dec 11, 2013
come together wrote:
Why docent anybody care enough to do anything about this crisis? Mason county needs help with this. Theirs so many people that want & need the help but don't know where to begin?
It's bad enough that these people are judged so harshly without even knowing the problems that got them there? It's time we come together & help the ones that want the help. Let's try to show kindness and offer support instead of all the name calling & wishing death on somebody mistakes. We've got to give second chances (where needed) or were never going to win the battle of this epidemic.
So true. All this hate and judging others not working out very good. I agree, it's time we try something different. I realize theirs some (a lot) of people that are just not ready and would lie, steal and cheat to get their buzz. But, what about the ones that really do want to get better but, are so ashamed of themselves because of people like us that point the finger at all the bad things that goes on? I'm guilty! Shame on me! I had to learn the hard way. My son is a addict. I guess karma got me good for being such a bitch instead of listing to him? He's trying to get clean? On his own? I know he relapse, I just don't know what to do? It's hard to watch him bagging for his old life back.
OnceWaS

United States

#4 Dec 11, 2013
I was an addict once. Going on 2 years Ive been clean.I wish I could have back a fraction of what I spent on drugs. I was bad until I met someone who gave me an ultimatum to either get help and quit or lose my entire family. So I found a great doctor and seeked alot of counseling. They first started me on suboxone for first 6 months, then slowly cut myself off the suboxone. Now Im about to hit 2nd year clean and I take nothing now. I still attend counseling once every two weeks because it does help to talk to someone who understands addiction. Addiction is life gripping and if willingly, you learn to over power it! Truly NO ONE understands addiction unless youve lived it. A person under the influence is NOT the real person beyond the foggy minded buzz. Its more than likely a very good hearted person just wanting someone to reach out, help, and UNDERSTAND.
1 post removed
wasThere

United States

#6 Dec 12, 2013
I do understand what you are saying but there is addicts who truly want help and want their normal life back and then youve got addicts that wont everchange. Like youre saying about the repeat offender. All Im saying is you can not classify all addicts as the same because that is absolutely wrong!!!! Some people just dont want to change and when youve got people helping an addict just to fuel an addiction why would they quit. Cut all financial ties. Even bailing outta jail. then see how much they come around or able to atay
Aggie

Saint Albans, WV

#7 Dec 12, 2013
There should be totally free rehab centers that people can just walk into for help. If they spent even half the amount of money on these centers that is spent on incarcerating addicts I believe we would see a turn-around of this problem.
2 posts removed
help__lol

United States

#10 Dec 14, 2013
I wish there was help in mason co.but it is not really the ppl fault or the addicts.unless you are a real p.o.s that keeps doing shit like the one repete above...anyway I see it like this first I am an addict and it all starts like this...in our little county you have to blame the problem on the leaders like county elected officials in our county our kids have nothing at all to keep them interested in the good things in life like sports and hunting or farming...these kids don't have a chance they go to school and then when they get home there's nothing to do at all.not even a movie theater or an arcade bike trail skate park nothing just mischief and when a kid gets bored they are willing to try different options and that's where they get their selves in trouble or even worse try drugs and that's the way it has been for years and it won't change because the leaders of the county don't care about nothing but a vote make promises and never keep them and we put them same ppl in office over and over.until we get the crooked ppl out of office and put some ppl in office that will put the children first then it will remain the same.so its time to get rid of the police officer that cares about nothing but being Mr.bad ass with a gun.and the other officers that are so fat and disgusting that they won't get out of their car unless there's a donut in it for them...and then there's the county officials that we elect over and over that's been robbing the county for years.and use the money that we pay the worthless cops and the money hungry officials with and use it to pay good cops and to build playgrounds and skate parks and maybe even a movie theater then once we get that shit cleaned up.then we can start the process of cleaning up the drug abuse in this county.and get help for the addict that truely wants it.and arrest the real drug dealers that come here from out of state not your local guy that's peddling for these out of towners the local guy is working to get his fix cause he ain't got no money and he was raised up not to steal and break in places.so he works for Mr.Detroit and the dumbass cops puts him in jail and then they think they done something (duh)get the right dealer leave the local alone. I could go on forever but I think you get it..........
truth

United States

#11 Dec 14, 2013
You couldnt have said it any better!! I totally agree!
sambo

United States

#12 Dec 15, 2013
help__lol wrote:
I wish there was help in mason co.but it is not really the ppl fault or the addicts.unless you are a real p.o.s that keeps doing shit like the one repete above...anyway I see it like this first I am an addict and it all starts like this...in our little county you have to blame the problem on the leaders like county elected officials in our county our kids have nothing at all to keep them interested in the good things in life like sports and hunting or farming...these kids don't have a chance they go to school and then when they get home there's nothing to do at all.not even a movie theater or an arcade bike trail skate park nothing just mischief and when a kid gets bored they are willing to try different options and that's where they get their selves in trouble or even worse try drugs and that's the way it has been for years and it won't change because the leaders of the county don't care about nothing but a vote make promises and never keep them and we put them same ppl in office over and over.until we get the crooked ppl out of office and put some ppl in office that will put the children first then it will remain the same.so its time to get rid of the police officer that cares about nothing but being Mr.bad ass with a gun.and the other officers that are so fat and disgusting that they won't get out of their car unless there's a donut in it for them...and then there's the county officials that we elect over and over that's been robbing the county for years.and use the money that we pay the worthless cops and the money hungry officials with and use it to pay good cops and to build playgrounds and skate parks and maybe even a movie theater then once we get that shit cleaned up.then we can start the process of cleaning up the drug abuse in this county.and get help for the addict that truely wants it.and arrest the real drug dealers that come here from out of state not your local guy that's peddling for these out of towners the local guy is working to get his fix cause he ain't got no money and he was raised up not to steal and break in places.so he works for Mr.Detroit and the dumbass cops puts him in jail and then they think they done something (duh)get the right dealer leave the local alone. I could go on forever but I think you get it..........
So [email protected] true!
2 posts removed
help__lol

United States

#15 Dec 16, 2013
Been There wrote:
It's too easy to blame elected officials and cops. Having little resources for entertainment for young people neither automatically equals nor excuses drug use of teens. That's like saying that some kid gets bored and immediately determines, "Well, guess I'll go buy some drugs." Lack of parental guidance and personal responsibility are the real culprits. Yes, it's easy to get drugs, the cookps aren't doing enough, most elected officials are
clueless--but it comes down to how the children are raised. It should be clear that a
Ni
brand, spanking new youth center, or mall, or a thousand movie theater complex are not answers. They can as easily become places to score drugs as diversions for taking drugs. Why do you think we have so much crime in poor urban areas? It isn't because there's no exciting youjth entertainment; most of it stems from fatherless homes--lack of guidance.
. See bub that's where your wrong I have been here all my life and I have watched our elected officials drain our community of the ppl's money we keep putting them back in so nothing will ever change and we have a few good. Cops but the most of them are tough guy want
A be's and they need to get rid of them they are fat and slow and not really qualified for the job.so why are they working for our county. We need ppl that can do the work...and we need ppl in office that will try to clean up the community and put the children first...our cops are afraid of the Detroit boys so they through the local junkie in jail that don't help the Detroit boys will get another junkie to sell their shit...so nothing is ever going to change....get rid of the money hungry officials and the dumb ass donut eating cops that would be a good start
W
dosomething

United States

#16 Dec 16, 2013
Been There wrote:
It's too easy to blame elected officials and cops. Having little resources for entertainment for young people neither automatically equals nor excuses drug use of teens. That's like saying that some kid gets bored and immediately determines, "Well, guess I'll go buy some drugs." Lack of parental guidance and personal responsibility are the real culprits. Yes, it's easy to get drugs, the cops aren't doing enough, most elected officials are clueless--but it comes down to how the children are raised. It should be clear that a brand, spanking new youth center, or mall, or a thousand movie theater complex are not answers. They can as easily become places to score drugs as diversions for taking drugs. Why do you think we have so much crime in poor urban areas? It isn't because there's no exciting youth entertainment; most of it stems from fatherless homes--lack of guidance.
I agree that most of the problems stems from "lack of guidance" not just from "fatherless homes " my opinion is the lack of guidance comes from the parents, schools, doctors, neighbors ect. If we could just get past of pointing fingers & blaming people on everything and, turning our heads when we see someone needing help.
No, a thousand movies theaters will not solve the problems but, it sure would be nice for the kids to have something or someone just to talk to, Of course there's going to be drugs in these places, there everywhere. It's coming to the point that were not going to have a chance in hell to help our youth, if we don't help their parents get off the dope. I hate a thieving junkie as much as any honest working man does. I also know a few that will never change but, they have children that want to change. Who's going to help the 14 year old boy and the 16 year old girl (e.g.) with both parents being ss, welfare bums, selling bubbies meds and sissy's food so that mommy and daddy can get high. These kids know what mom & dad do and, they hate the fact their parents are not willing to stop for nothing! they have nobody!
Back in the day ya, you would have a few kids that got lost in the system, look at them now? There everywhere!
We've got to actknowlede the fact that we need to help somehow? I don't have the answer to this problem but, I'd be willing to help some of these teens that everybody's gave up on because of who they are. I hear so many patents telling their kids "stay away from that kid" his parents are nothing but trash. And to be honest, most of them are trash(the patents). If we could just in-brace these kids and, give them some hope and tell them stories about the good old days that their patents never had for the same reason that got them where they are today.
These parents will never guide these kids to better themselves. That don't know how. Were a small town, everybody knows everybody around these neck of the woods. I suggest we try talking to the one's that you know in their heart hate the life style they are living and, start giving advice and listen to their story instead of turning our backs on them. Js
1 post removed
Saddened

Seth, WV

#18 Nov 17, 2014
dosomething wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that most of the problems stems from "lack of guidance" not just from "fatherless homes " my opinion is the lack of guidance comes from the parents, schools, doctors, neighbors ect. If we could just get past of pointing fingers & blaming people on everything and, turning our heads when we see someone needing help.
No, a thousand movies theaters will not solve the problems but, it sure would be nice for the kids to have something or someone just to talk to, Of course there's going to be drugs in these places, there everywhere. It's coming to the point that were not going to have a chance in hell to help our youth, if we don't help their parents get off the dope. I hate a thieving junkie as much as any honest working man does. I also know a few that will never change but, they have children that want to change. Who's going to help the 14 year old boy and the 16 year old girl (e.g.) with both parents being ss, welfare bums, selling bubbies meds and sissy's food so that mommy and daddy can get high. These kids know what mom & dad do and, they hate the fact their parents are not willing to stop for nothing! they have nobody!
Back in the day ya, you would have a few kids that got lost in the system, look at them now? There everywhere!
We've got to actknowlede the fact that we need to help somehow? I don't have the answer to this problem but, I'd be willing to help some of these teens that everybody's gave up on because of who they are. I hear so many patents telling their kids "stay away from that kid" his parents are nothing but trash. And to be honest, most of them are trash(the patents). If we could just in-brace these kids and, give them some hope and tell them stories about the good old days that their patents never had for the same reason that got them where they are today.
These parents will never guide these kids to better themselves. That don't know how. Were a small town, everybody knows everybody around these neck of the woods. I suggest we try talking to the one's that you know in their heart hate the life style they are living and, start giving advice and listen to their story instead of turning our backs on them. Js
To help them they have to want that help themselves though also. We can do so much to help them. You can tell if they want the help or not. And saying sorry over and over or saying it will not happen again and they make a habit of it is only because they know how much they can get by with. I know from experience. Not as a druggie myself but my first husband was one. He always begged me to stay and he was going to change and each time I tried to get him help or tell him he had to, he kept repeating the same process of making the same promises of quitting and getting better. Also we have to watch how much we help. Sometimes we are enabling them to do the drugs. Meaning to feel sorry for them or to give in and sometimes when they make us believe they need money such as for gas, cigarettes or what have you and after we hand it over we do not know what they do with it when our eyes cannot see and we put our trust in them to not go buy the drugs. Sometimes when we do help and the trust we place, we actually make things worse and become an enabler.
tupelo

Madison Heights, VA

#19 Nov 17, 2014
Saddened wrote:
<quoted text>To help them they have to want that help themselves though also. We can do so much to help them. You can tell if they want the help or not. And saying sorry over and over or saying it will not happen again and they make a habit of it is only because they know how much they can get by with. I know from experience. Not as a druggie myself but my first husband was one. He always begged me to stay and he was going to change and each time I tried to get him help or tell him he had to, he kept repeating the same process of making the same promises of quitting and getting better. Also we have to watch how much we help. Sometimes we are enabling them to do the drugs. Meaning to feel sorry for them or to give in and sometimes when they make us believe they need money such as for gas, cigarettes or what have you and after we hand it over we do not know what they do with it when our eyes cannot see and we put our trust in them to not go buy the drugs. Sometimes when we do help and the trust we place, we actually make things worse and become an enabler.
There's help out there but the problem is it takes cash and a lot of ppl don't have the cash to pay for it
Bethany

Afton, VA

#20 Nov 17, 2014
You all are weak minded and sound retarded. If you could learn some self control and discipline then you could clean up your own mess and get yourself on track for a more productive tomorrow. I lost over a 100 pounds in the last year. Nobody could fix my addiction to food but me so stop making excuses and start making changes. Get real with yourself !!
Blame game

Toledo, OH

#21 Nov 18, 2014
Thought when I first started reason this forum I started to think there are some people who really want help and possibly come to realize that the first step on getting off drugs , is knowing you need and want help. Now I know what I'm about to say will have some of you disagreeing with me in this , but its no ones faults exept the addict of being hooked on dope. I know and understand that some may have medical reason to be in pain pills do to an injury or whatever, but when yor injury is better, stop taking them ! Have a little self control over hat you are using or taking and just stop. It's not the elected officals or the polices job to be your baby sitters. They didn't take you to raise . If you get arrested then I guess you were breaking the law by selling which is a felony crime . Who know users and drug dealers getting arrested may save ther life
hay jo

Rockford, MI

#22 Nov 18, 2014
Addiction is a sickness but there is help out there
Danny

Point Pleasant, WV

#23 Nov 18, 2014
Why does the county or state have to please your children,, I grew up in this town didn't have anything 20 years ago and still don't, I was bored growing up but I didn't turn to drugs and it was everywhere... If your child is a addict then it's probably your fault but you don't want to see it
chrisy shamblin

Export, PA

#24 Nov 19, 2014
Pm

Min

C
tupelo

Madison Heights, VA

#25 Nov 19, 2014
Danny wrote:
Why does the county or state have to please your children,, I grew up in this town didn't have anything 20 years ago and still don't, I was bored growing up but I didn't turn to drugs and it was everywhere... If your child is a addict then it's probably your fault but you don't want to see it
U can not control what your kids do when they become adults
1 post removed
Blatherskite

Hundred, WV

#27 Nov 19, 2014
Bethany wrote:
You all are weak minded and sound retarded. If you could learn some self control and discipline then you could clean up your own mess and get yourself on track for a more productive tomorrow. I lost over a 100 pounds in the last year. Nobody could fix my addiction to food but me so stop making excuses and start making changes. Get real with yourself !!
Food does not cayse btain damage. There no documented case of "food addiction" that is tof the same magnitude as drug addiction. Prolonged substance abuse literally rewires the human brain. This has been proven by decades if research. Foid is necessary to live. I'm sure it's hard to do what you have and I certainly admire your dedication. Yet you are wrong. Addiction is not about being weak. It's about mental illness. Did you know that 60 percent of demale addicts have been victims of sexual abuse, most at a young age?

If you all truly want to help... Educate yourselves and those around you! Please. It is the only way. What we see of addiction on a daily basis does not elucidate the facts. Speaking of providing opportunities... The parents need opportunity just as much as the youth. I urge you all to check out the eork of Carl Hart. You do not need to buy and read his book to understand his work. I have lived addiction. I was hardcore. I should be dead. My kids saved me... But I had access to resources and a strong support system. I had money and I have been armed with knowledge and a yearning for MORE since childhood. Most addicts lack these things. Hart grew up in the hood, but he did not flow the typical path. He is a neuroscientist. He is truly onto something. As a recovered addict, my first thought upon seeing him speak was that he was sooo full of s__t. But he is right. He has done tge research. His studies are controlled, as much as is possible when working with addicts. If you want to understand - which is essential if you are to help anyone - please know the facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fresh Fart Tuesday 6 min Poopoo tofuu youyou 4
Cant understand the freshfart, poo lover onhere 8 min Poopoo tofuu youyou 1
Poop 12 min Poopoo tofuu youyou 10
HPV Causes Several Different Cancers 14 min Salty dog 4
Why are all the Pawn Shops in Huntington CLOSING? 24 min Brutis 27
America Held Hostage Day 94 27 min MarkJ- 3
Sheetz Westend 57 min Brenda Stone 6

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Mortgages