HE- IS--A

Ashland, KY

#804 Feb 7, 2011
HE- IS--A wrote:
"The problem is socioeconomic, and people who resell prescription drugs have the mind set of hillbilly bootleggers, they do not see it as wrong," Fisher said.
Pompous ass!!!
I believe this remark shows the contempt with which Fisher holds his patient base, and all of us "hillbillies" in this area...bootleggers or not.

I noticed in the quote displayed on WSAZ's story his name with two l's..very disrespectful...I wonder if that bothered him more than the content of the quote.
whatup

Turtle Creek, WV

#805 Feb 9, 2011
The first group of charges were filed today against Fisher by the WV Osteopathic Medical Board. I have read the charges. My God, it's way worse than I thought. Check the Herald Dispatch tomorrow for an article.
Lynne Spears

Butler, PA

#806 Feb 9, 2011
Can we read the charges somewhere else BEFORE tomorrow?
yeah

Bowling Green, KY

#807 Feb 9, 2011
Lynne Spears wrote:
The H-D story will probably be on their site later this evening.
yeah

Bowling Green, KY

#808 Feb 9, 2011
Lynne Spears wrote:
Probably shouldn't have run Hound off.:-/
yeah

Bowling Green, KY

#809 Feb 9, 2011
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Probably shouldn't have run Hound off.:-/
Didnt mean you specifically, of course. Sorry for the wording.
Lynne Spears

Butler, PA

#810 Feb 9, 2011
LOL I didn't take it personally. :) I knew I hadn't run anyone off.
Lynne Spears

Butler, PA

#811 Feb 9, 2011
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x2...
Board issues charges against area doctor
February 09, 2011 @ 11:23 PM
BETH HENDRICKS
Herald-Dispatch.com
Members of the West Virginia Board of Osteopathy say they have found probable cause to issue a statement of charges that Dr. Philip Fisher departed from accepted standards of professional conduct related to prescribing drugs.
The board will now move forward with a hearing on its findings.
The board’s decision was released Wednesday in a statement of charges detailing 15 counts of pre-signed prescription forms, improper delegation of duties, failure to document the course of treatment, deviation from the standard of care and false statement and deceit in application for license.
The charges stem from the board’s investigation of two complaints, but the board dismissed a third. A fourth complaint was held for further investigation to allow Fisher additional time to respond and to give the board time to review some records now in the custody of the Drug Enforcement Administration, board president Diana Shepard said.
Shepard said the charges filed by the board are allegations and do not represent any legal finding of guilt or innocence, merely a decision by the board to proceed to a hearing. Fisher still possesses a license allowing him to practice medicine. Calls to his medical office and attorney were not returned late Wednesday.
Fisher’s Huntington Spine Rehab and Rest Ensured Sleep Technologies offices in Barboursville and his residence were searched by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the West Virginia State Police in December as part of an investigation into 14 overdose deaths. In one overdose case, the West Virginia Office of the Chief Medical Examiner reported a finding that the death was a result of combined Fetanyl, Xanax and doxylamine (a sleep aid) intoxication due to an application of a “non-prescribed” transdermal Fentanyl patch.
Just before Christmas, board members opted to expand its administrative investigation. The documents released Wednesday are a result of part of that investigation, and none of the charges links Fisher to any deaths.
A summary of the charges includes:
— A finding that Fisher signed medication prescription forms containing no patient information and no specifications or limitations on the drugs to be provided, including controlled substances.
— Seven counts of authorizing unlicensed employees to review patient requests and medical charts and complete prescription refills for patients without his review.
— Authorizing an unlicensed employee to meet with patients, review symptoms and medical charts and issue prescriptions for controlled substances, as well as review questions from other employees regarding patient requests for refills of controlled substances.
— Four counts of failure to document records of his assessment and evaluation of patients, including medical history, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment, of patients prescribed controlled substances.
— Deviation from the standard of care in offering a procedure for the lower spine that caused numbness in the toes and episodes of burning and cramping in a patient’s leg. According to legal documents, Fisher told the patient to give it some time and joked that next time “he would use a crooked needle.”
— False statements and deceit in application for license, failing to disclose that he left an institution then known as University of Osteopathic Medicine and the Health Sciences, in Des Moines, Iowa, two months prior to the completion of the academic term after failing to pass a mandatory component of the program.
Fisher went on to graduate from Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Missouri.
Lynne Spears

Butler, PA

#812 Feb 9, 2011
CONTINUED

On Feb. 25, 1995, Fisher submitted a licensure application to the West Virginia Board of Osteopathy for admission to practice in the state. According to the statement of charges, Fisher answered “No,” on the part of the form that asked,“Have you ever been dropped, suspended, placed on probation, expelled or requested to resign from any school, college or university?”
Doren Burrell, senior assistant attorney general and counsel to the board, said the attorneys will discuss the charges and then try to set up a schedule for the hearing. He said the board will also look to see if any federal agency takes action from the material obtained under the search warrant from December.
Lynne Spears

Butler, PA

#813 Feb 9, 2011
Board issues charges against area doctor
February 09, 2011 @ 11:23 PM

BETH HENDRICKS

Herald-Dispatch.com

Members of the West Virginia Board of Osteopathy say they have found probable cause to issue a statement of charges that Dr. Philip Fisher departed from accepted standards of professional conduct related to prescribing drugs.

The board will now move forward with a hearing on its findings.

The board’s decision was released Wednesday in a statement of charges detailing 15 counts of pre-signed prescription forms, improper delegation of duties, failure to document the course of treatment, deviation from the standard of care and false statement and deceit in application for license.

The charges stem from the board’s investigation of two complaints, but the board dismissed a third. A fourth complaint was held for further investigation to allow Fisher additional time to respond and to give the board time to review some records now in the custody of the Drug Enforcement Administration, board president Diana Shepard said.

Shepard said the charges filed by the board are allegations and do not represent any legal finding of guilt or innocence, merely a decision by the board to proceed to a hearing. Fisher still possesses a license allowing him to practice medicine. Calls to his medical office and attorney were not returned late Wednesday.

Fisher’s Huntington Spine Rehab and Rest Ensured Sleep Technologies offices in Barboursville and his residence were searched by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the West Virginia State Police in December as part of an investigation into 14 overdose deaths. In one overdose case, the West Virginia Office of the Chief Medical Examiner reported a finding that the death was a result of combined Fetanyl, Xanax and doxylamine (a sleep aid) intoxication due to an application of a “non-prescribed” transdermal Fentanyl patch.

Just before Christmas, board members opted to expand its administrative investigation. The documents released Wednesday are a result of part of that investigation, and none of the charges links Fisher to any deaths.
A summary of the charges includes:
— A finding that Fisher signed medication prescription forms containing no patient information and no specifications or limitations on the drugs to be provided, including controlled substances.
— Seven counts of authorizing unlicensed employees to review patient requests and medical charts and complete prescription refills for patients without his review.

— Authorizing an unlicensed employee to meet with patients, review symptoms and medical charts and issue prescriptions for controlled substances, as well as review questions from other employees regarding patient requests for refills of controlled substances.

— Four counts of failure to document records of his assessment and evaluation of patients, including medical history, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment, of patients prescribed controlled substances.

— Deviation from the standard of care in offering a procedure for the lower spine that caused numbness in the toes and episodes of burning and cramping in a patient’s leg. According to legal documents, Fisher told the patient to give it some time and joked that next time “he would use a crooked needle.”

— False statements and deceit in application for license, failing to disclose that he left an institution then known as University of Osteopathic Medicine and the Health Sciences, in Des Moines, Iowa, two months prior to the completion of the academic term after failing to pass a mandatory component of the program.

Fisher went on to graduate from Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Missouri.
hereit is

Ashland, KY

#814 Feb 9, 2011
1 post removed
Lynne Spears

Butler, PA

#816 Feb 9, 2011
OOPS....didn't mean to post it twice....it kept disappearing. lol
whatup

United States

#817 Feb 10, 2011
Looks like not only is the doc in trouble, but maybe some of his employees too. No wonder they scattered so fast when the office was raided. Just like s bunch of cockroaches running when somebody turns on the lights!
question

United States

#818 Feb 10, 2011
I guess I wonder most why it took the Board this many months or years to investigate? Would they have if it had not been all over the news? Looks like they are slow to action.
Lynne Spears

Butler, PA

#819 Feb 10, 2011
I believe that the slow action/non-action of the board in the past had to do with lack of physical evidence. This time, the board was provided with photographic evidence of the signed but blank prescriptions as well as the DEA/WVSP investigation and evidence. The board still appears to be moving very slowly, but I feel certain they move only under the advice of an attorney. This has become a major medico-legal fiasco and will prolly move very slowly, as most legal matters usually do. Isn't it odd how the medical profession is charged with moving quickly and making decisions under duress....however, the legal profession moves along at a snails pace?
Friend on the board

Hurricane, WV

#820 Feb 10, 2011
There was a patient's husband on the board until around May 2010. They chose to look the other way, even hindering their own investigation up until that board member was gone. Many of the things the DEA and other agencies are investigating were brought to the board's attention in the form of complaints filed, over the years, by doctors, patients, families of patients, etc. Now that the media and other agencies are involved and the doctor's buddy is no longer affiliated with the board they have no choice but to do something or look like even bigger asses.
snowbound

Charleston, WV

#821 Feb 10, 2011
whatup wrote:
Looks like not only is the doc in trouble, but maybe some of his employees too. No wonder they scattered so fast when the office was raided. Just like s bunch of cockroaches running when somebody turns on the lights!
Not so fast there! Don't assume that an employee who leaves a bad situation was apart of the problem. There may be lots of reasons for an employee to leave.

If you work somewhere and your boss makes you do things you think are wrong, what are your options? What if the boss lies to you about what is going on?

I really don't think we can make any assumptions about what has happened until it comes out in court or in the media.
question

United States

#822 Feb 11, 2011
Lynne Spears wrote:
I believe that the slow action/non-action of the board in the past had to do with lack of physical evidence. This time, the board was provided with photographic evidence of the signed but blank prescriptions as well as the DEA/WVSP investigation and evidence. The board still appears to be moving very slowly, but I feel certain they move only under the advice of an attorney. This has become a major medico-legal fiasco and will prolly move very slowly, as most legal matters usually do. Isn't it odd how the medical profession is charged with moving quickly and making decisions under duress....however, the legal profession moves along at a snails pace?
I'm not saying that this is a bad doc (everyone should have his day in court) but what about a really bad doctor.... how long does it take to get them out....
Lynne Spears

Butler, PA

#823 Feb 11, 2011
It is frightening to think of it, isn't it?
whatup

United States

#824 Feb 11, 2011
snowbound wrote:
<quoted text>Not so fast there! Don't assume that an employee who leaves a bad situation was apart of the problem. There may be lots of reasons for an employee to leave.

If you work somewhere and your boss makes you do things you think are wrong, what are your options? What if the boss lies to you about what is going on?

I really don't think we can make any assumptions about what has happened until it comes out in court or in the media.
You're right. That thought just came to me at the time. It was kinda overwhelming reading all the charges!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sexting 7 min Mee 1
Ari Tyler's pregnant 9 min Great 15
MARSHALL claim To Fame isn't What YOU think HERD 17 min Green Weinee 270
Varsity Place in Huntingting 21 min staten 3
The US Army is unconstitutional 23 min rill 11
obama cuba 27 min tellstar 3
men lying about being married (Sep '11) 29 min Repeatly 103
Huntington Teacher, 3rd offence DUI 6 hr Observer 37
Huntington Dating
Find my Match