Scrubs as All Day Clothes Make me Sick

Scrubs as All Day Clothes Make me Sick

Posted in the Huntington Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Disgusted

Huntington, WV

#1 Jun 12, 2013
When hospital employees were required to wear all white, you NEVER saw a nurse in uniform in a grocery store, at a mall, at the dog groomer, wherever.

Now that they can wear scrubs of all colors and patterns, you see these people EVERYWHERE wearing the clothes that they wear while caring for the sick. TV tells us that staph and MRSA and superbugs are rampant in hospitals. I know someone will call me stupid, but could there be a connection?

I see medical workers in scrubs sitting in movie theater seats, on TTA buses going to WORK (Eeeeew!), walking around Walmart, handling pets, holding a kid with a dirty diaper on their hip, and frankly, worse.

Assuming that they wash their scrubs at home, how secure are we that those scrubs are sanitary? The print hides stains, and who knows what their home looks like? Ever watch Hoarders and count how many of those gross people work in nursing professions? A LOT!

I don't want to see a person in scrubs anywhere but in a medical environment. Why can't they just wear street clothes to work, and then change there? Keep sanitary scrubs at the hospital, waiting for them? I'll bet it would cut down on a lot of infections that are spreading so easily.

I get it, that they are comfortable. When the scrubs first started showing up, I had no problem, but that was because employees kept them at work. Now I see them everywhere, and I just get sick when I see it. Anyone else? I wish they'd bring back snowy white clothes. They wouldn't be so quick to wear those to the dog groomers.
Zaphod

Chesapeake, OH

#2 Jun 12, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
When hospital employees were required to wear all white, you NEVER saw a nurse in uniform in a grocery store, at a mall, at the dog groomer, wherever.

Now that they can wear scrubs of all colors and patterns, you see these people EVERYWHERE wearing the clothes that they wear while caring for the sick. TV tells us that staph and MRSA and superbugs are rampant in hospitals. I know someone will call me stupid, but could there be a connection?

I see medical workers in scrubs sitting in movie theater seats, on TTA buses going to WORK (Eeeeew!), walking around Walmart, handling pets, holding a kid with a dirty diaper on their hip, and frankly, worse.

Assuming that they wash their scrubs at home, how secure are we that those scrubs are sanitary? The print hides stains, and who knows what their home looks like? Ever watch Hoarders and count how many of those gross people work in nursing professions? A LOT!

I don't want to see a person in scrubs anywhere but in a medical environment. Why can't they just wear street clothes to work, and then change there? Keep sanitary scrubs at the hospital, waiting for them? I'll bet it would cut down on a lot of infections that are spreading so easily.

I get it, that they are comfortable. When the scrubs first started showing up, I had no problem, but that was because employees kept them at work. Now I see them everywhere, and I just get sick when I see it. Anyone else? I wish they'd bring back snowy white clothes. They wouldn't be so quick to wear those to the dog groomers.
You're stupid.
i know

Salt Rock, WV

#3 Jun 12, 2013
You make some decent points but remember not all medical offices deal with infections. For example, the people that work in a chiropractors office wear scrubs, I think they would be ok to wear theirs outside of work. Workers in a physical therapist office wear them, eye doctors, etc. So many people wear them that do the reception like work, billing, coding, filing etc I think they are ok too.
Agree

Faber, VA

#4 Jun 12, 2013
Zaphod wrote:
<quoted text>
You're stupid.
Completely stupid!
OMG

Charleston, WV

#5 Jun 12, 2013
Get a life and something real to worry about....
Lemon pie

Faber, VA

#6 Jun 12, 2013
No kidding this idiot has to much time on his hands why worry about what others wear get a life
sam

Charleston, WV

#7 Jun 12, 2013
I'm tired of coal miners wearing their dirty work clothes to stores.
They think they can pick up women this way. Because the women think they are a miner and get a good paycheck.
nurse

Chesapeake, OH

#8 Jun 12, 2013
I'm sick of lazy ass check drawing morons wearing their pajamas in public. Good god if someone is wearing scrubs in public there's a 98.9% chance they have a job & have just come from that job.
Find something else to complain about, like maybe the fact that us working folk don't get your "benefits" to you fast enough.
Loser
christy

South Point, OH

#9 Jun 12, 2013
sam wrote:
I'm tired of coal miners wearing their dirty work clothes to stores.
They think they can pick up women this way. Because the women think they are a miner and get a good paycheck.
In this area, a woman better jump any man SUSPECTED of carrying a job
BigBully

Chesapeake, OH

#10 Jun 12, 2013
nurse wrote:
I'm sick of lazy ass check drawing morons wearing their pajamas in public. Good god if someone is wearing scrubs in public there's a 98.9% chance they have a job & have just come from that job.
Find something else to complain about, like maybe the fact that us working folk don't get your "benefits" to you fast enough.
Loser
That is true. WTF is the deal with wearing pajama pants in public. You might as well wear a shirt that says "I am poor and uneducated "
Love thy neighbor

United States

#11 Jun 12, 2013
I agree scrubs should not be worn in public.
nurse

Chesapeake, OH

#12 Jun 12, 2013
Love thy neighbor wrote:
I agree scrubs should not be worn in public.
So, when I get off work I should drive 25 min home & change clothes before I go see my kid's ball game or stop at the store?
If you're concerned with germ spreading, do you know what germs everyone you encounter in public is carrying? There's no difference. I've never seen anyone sport a pair of scrubs soiled in medical waste in public & I'm doubting anyone with half a brain would.
disgusted

Huntington, WV

#13 Jun 13, 2013
nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
So, when I get off work I should drive 25 min home & change clothes before I go see my kid's ball game or stop at the store?
If you're concerned with germ spreading, do you know what germs everyone you encounter in public is carrying? There's no difference. I've never seen anyone sport a pair of scrubs soiled in medical waste in public & I'm doubting anyone with half a brain would.
No, I'm not suggesting that. As I said in op,what would be wrong with changing at work? Lots of other professions change into work clothes at the job. What would be wrong with requiring health pros to do the same?

And, um...YES, I am, in fact, well aware of the germs the public carries. That was my POINT. You seem to work in this profession, and yet you also seem to believe that a scrub is only dirty if you can SEE actual medical waste on it. Surely you are well-educated enough to know that germs can't be seen with the naked eye.(I can't believe I have to bring that into the conversation).

The things you said only underline my concern about this health issue.
disgusted

Huntington, WV

#14 Jun 13, 2013
i know wrote:
You make some decent points but remember not all medical offices deal with infections. For example, the people that work in a chiropractors office wear scrubs, I think they would be ok to wear theirs outside of work. Workers in a physical therapist office wear them, eye doctors, etc. So many people wear them that do the reception like work, billing, coding, filing etc I think they are ok too.
Thanks for speaking to me with respect. Of course, I get several replies from the simple-minded, as I knew I would. I wish every poster was like you.

You're right about all that, but what I meant was, riding a bus, going to store, etc., the worker stands a pretty good chance of coming in contact with staph, other contagions in THOSE environs, from the general public. THEN they go to work in the office, where they come in contact with people who are sick,(therefore already with a weakened immune system) and expose patients to what they got on their scrubs while they were running errands. I'm saying they bring germs IN to the office, not necessarily bring them out,(as I'm sure they are more careful in the work place than they are in the general public).

To the sad, uneducated simp that tells herself I am receiving some sort of benefits that she is contributing, I ask this...do I WRITE as if I'd qualify for some sort of assistance? I've worked all my life and I am retired. Safe bet that a few of my tax dollars did something for YOU while you struggled thru some community college "nursing" program.
1 post removed
nurse

Chesapeake, OH

#16 Jun 13, 2013
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for speaking to me with respect. Of course, I get several replies from the simple-minded, as I knew I would. I wish every poster was like you.

You're right about all that, but what I meant was, riding a bus, going to store, etc., the worker stands a pretty good chance of coming in contact with staph, other contagions in THOSE environs, from the general public. THEN they go to work in the office, where they come in contact with people who are sick,(therefore already with a weakened immune system) and expose patients to what they got on their scrubs while they were running errands. I'm saying they bring germs IN to the office, not necessarily bring them out,(as I'm sure they are more careful in the work place than they are in the general public).

To the sad, uneducated simp that tells herself I am receiving some sort of benefits that she is contributing, I ask this...do I WRITE as if I'd qualify for some sort of assistance? I've worked all my life and I am retired. Safe bet that a few of my tax dollars did something for YOU while you struggled thru some community college "nursing" program.
I went to a 4 year BSN program at a university straight out of high school. I took my pre reqs during my senior year of hs. I was awarded a complete academic scholarship. I not only graduated with a 3.95, I was also involved on campus. I've worked in the nursing field since I was 22 years old & completed my master's at the age of 30. It took me a while to complete my master's bc I paid for each credit hour out of pocket. I now put people like you to sleep for major surgeries. Be nice or we just may forget how to wake up I back up. You know, with our "community college" education & all.
really

Chipley, FL

#17 Jun 13, 2013
BigBully wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true. WTF is the deal with wearing pajama pants in public. You might as well wear a shirt that says "I am poor and uneducated "
....we travel for my husband's work and see this happen a little everywhere..but nothing like here in Wv....have some respect for yourselves, clean up before you go out, brush your hair and put street clothes on...geeez. No job, no need in getting out of your pjs. What losers and they know that.
Love thy neighbor

United States

#18 Jun 13, 2013
nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to a 4 year BSN program at a university straight out of high school. I took my pre reqs during my senior year of hs. I was awarded a complete academic scholarship. I not only graduated with a 3.95, I was also involved on campus. I've worked in the nursing field since I was 22 years old & completed my master's at the age of 30. It took me a while to complete my master's bc I paid for each credit hour out of pocket. I now put people like you to sleep for major surgeries. Be nice or we just may forget how to wake up I back up. You know, with our "community college" education & all.
All this education and you still wear surgical scrubs in public. I think you should change at work. You think your scrubs make you look special, don't you. I am impressed.
Zaphod

Chesapeake, OH

#19 Jun 13, 2013
All of these dress code police are probably just envious fat people. Sorry you guys have to bundle up to hide your extra rolls but you shouldn't take it out on others. Just enjoy your scooter rides at Walmart and keep quiet.
nurse

Chesapeake, OH

#20 Jun 13, 2013
Zaphod wrote:
All of these dress code police are probably just envious fat people. Sorry you guys have to bundle up to hide your extra rolls but you shouldn't take it out on others. Just enjoy your scooter rides at Walmart and keep quiet.
Lmao! Right on ;)
nursetoo

Kimberly, WV

#21 Jun 13, 2013
nurse wrote:
<quoted text>
So, when I get off work I should drive 25 min home & change clothes before I go see my kid's ball game or stop at the store?
If you're concerned with germ spreading, do you know what germs everyone you encounter in public is carrying? There's no difference. I've never seen anyone sport a pair of scrubs soiled in medical waste in public & I'm doubting anyone with half a brain would.
I absolutely agree! I am nurse and my job requires me to sit in an office the majority of the day dealing with family members, care plans, MDS forms and meetings. I drive 30 minutes to work so no if I have not had any patient contact that day I am not going to drive home and change my clothes to stop by the store for a gallon on milk or change my clothes to pick my child up from school for an appointment and then go back home afterwards to change my clothes to go back to work. This is just crazy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ivan at Alcon 23 min Is he a player 1
America Held Hostage Day 127 25 min Fkmark 10
James Mullens 41 min Big Disapointment 3
Tom A Died Of Overdose !! 58 min June 5
Leah Hickman (Sep '13) 1 hr Hello 44
pagans mc (Sep '10) 1 hr JuicyMike 218
Democrat DNC debate was like a clown car 1 hr Liberal queers 8

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Mortgages