Posted in the Huntington Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
woah

Huntington, WV

#1 Feb 22, 2012
Toddlers Found Wandering in Street; Mother Charged with Neglect

A case of alleged child neglect has a mom in serious trouble and total strangers shocked.
Posted: 12:17 AM Feb 22, 2012
Reporter: Andrew Colegrove
Email Address: andrew.colegrove@wsaz.com

----------
11pm Story

Story
0 Comments

Font Size:

HUNTINGTON, W.Va.(WSAZ)-- A case of alleged child neglect has a mom in serious trouble and total strangers shocked.

Huntington Police say Christiana Bradshaw was away from her home in the 800-block of 5th Street West for about 40 minutes to run errands and left her kids alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

About 4:20 Tuesday afternoon, her 4-year-old autistic twin sons were spotted wandering in an intersection outside their home -- wearing only diapers.

Philip Frank was driving home when he saw cars swerving to avoid hitting the kids. He says he pulled over and took one of the kids out of the road while the other one ran off the street.

“The kids would have gotten hit,” Frank said.“Traffic was coming every way."

Police say Bradshaw had barricaded her sons in a toy room, but they'd managed to get out. They also say she left the door of a hot stove open to keep the house warm, which the kids had to walk by to get out of the house.

"I don't want to be charged with it, but I understand given the situation what it is,” Bradshaw said before she was arraigned at magistrate court.“I'm not a person that neglects my kids by no means."

She says as bad as her present situation is, she's grateful her sons weren't hurt.

"I'm relieved they weren't hit by a car,” she said.“Them being autistic, they don't have any judgment. They just run."

Bradshaw is charged with child neglect creating risk of injury. Her bond is set at $100,000. She's being held in the Western Regional Jail.

She says her twins are staying with a social worker who has worked with them on a regular basis, which she says is relieving because being autistic, they don’t do well with strangers.

Police say Bradshaw told them she left her kids at home with her friend, but they haven't been able to confirm if that's true, or if the friend even exists.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information
newsjunkie

Reston, VA

#2 Feb 22, 2012
Okay? We all saw this already. Who's the social worker??
Nunya

New York, NY

#3 Feb 22, 2012
newsjunkie wrote:
Okay? We all saw this already. Who's the social worker??
Why does it matter who the social worker is?
newsjunkie

Reston, VA

#4 Feb 22, 2012
Didn't know they sent kids home with social workers
dirty ernie

Proctorville, OH

#5 Feb 22, 2012
The interesting thing is Mr. Frank doesn't own a car or have a license. In the story he claimed he was driving home??
tax payer

Saint Albans, WV

#6 Feb 22, 2012
Dirty Ernie ur a cop
sad

New York, NY

#7 Feb 22, 2012
I think it's sad. You don't leve Childern alone. Plus they are special needs childeren. I'm sure cps will give her the kids back and this just makes me sick! You can tell she's way off from her picture... Nothing is going to change in this moms head. She doesnt need these childeren. Let them be raised by someone who can care for them and let mom get pictures and she can play along that she's okay and still their mom. Where did mom have to go for 40mins? Let's roll some cameras back and make sure mom is at the store. Yeah sure ha ha.

Hope the children get a good home.
Pray

South Hill, VA

#8 Feb 23, 2012
Prayers for this mother.
Hmmmm

Proctorville, OH

#9 Feb 23, 2012
Ok I am just venturing to say that she may get a check for their diagnosis of autism. So one reason a check would be issued would be because she can't leave them alone and always has to be able to provide care for them!!!!! Lots of ?????
hmm

New York, NY

#10 Feb 23, 2012
Hmmmm wrote:
Ok I am just venturing to say that she may get a check for their diagnosis of autism. So one reason a check would be issued would be because she can't leave them alone and always has to be able to provide care for them!!!!! Lots of ?????
True. In that case wpuldnt there be people already in place to help?
seriously??

New York, NY

#11 Feb 23, 2012
Dirty Ernie I have to agree with you.. So I don't know what the circumstances are... But the mother shouldn't have left them
momma b

United States

#12 Feb 23, 2012
Just a sad situation all around. I know everyone is criticizing her and she definitely made a grave error in judgment but just from her quotes, it seems like maybe she's not all there or too competent. It also seems like there is no father or family involved so she's taking care of 2 special needs kids by herself. I always feel so fortunate mine isn't because I don't know that I could handle it. I feel bad for all 3 involved and hope they get the help they need to make the situation better for those boys. Praying for them all.
amanda

Nitro, WV

#13 Feb 24, 2012
If she was running errands why couldnt she take the kids with her like most sane people. People dont try and lock their kids in there room and leave them. it was very much poor judgement, bad parenting. anything could of happened to those children. she left open a stove to heat the house. like seriously how did she even feel safe doing that. This is just my opinion, she must have been getting her drug of choice. she doesnt look to sober to me. It also pisses me off that they state there has been a social worker working with them before. did the social worker do her job? Did she drug test, did she investigate. Probably not. so this should also be on the case worker.(Just my opinion)
well

Jersey City, NJ

#14 Feb 24, 2012
Tell me how she needed to leave the stove open to heat the house but she couldn't put the kids in anything warmer than diapers?? Put more clothes on the kids and maybe you won't have to worry about them being cold... Smh

Level 4

Since: Nov 11

Madison, WV

#15 Feb 24, 2012
Not the first time she has locked them in a room.
lol

Huntington, WV

#16 Feb 24, 2012
well wrote:
Tell me how she needed to leave the stove open to heat the house but she couldn't put the kids in anything warmer than diapers?? Put more clothes on the kids and maybe you won't have to worry about them being cold... Smh
she shoots up methadone.. poor kids
woah

Huntington, WV

#17 Feb 24, 2012
can you even shoot up methadone?
hfghfg

Princeton, WV

#18 Feb 24, 2012
woah wrote:
can you even shoot up methadone?
yup.
Furthermore

Huntington, WV

#19 Feb 24, 2012
I guess you could shoot up kerosene if you took a notion. F'd up people around here.
OneMother

Huntington, WV

#20 Feb 24, 2012
I just watched the news video of the mother, and I honestly have to say...I don't think she seems "not all there". Don't get me wrong, it's terrible what happened, but what I saw was a woman who seemed genuinely sorry. I didn't see her making excuses, or trying to blame anyone but herself. She didn't talk like an idiot, like so many others on the news for child neglect usually talk.

She seemed genuinely overwhelmed, with two autistic kids. I know I'll get ripped for this, but I've never felt sympathy for a parent in a neglect situation before, but I do for her. Don't know her, but I think the fact that she was a normal weight, instead of a fatass like they USUALLY are speaks volumes. Just guessing, but it looks like she's just frazzled, exhausted and needs actual help. But no, the way she spoke, my opinion, she seems to be able to talk with above average intelligence for around here. She didn't appear to be mentally off to me.

That being said, I'm not excusing what happened. But I sure hope that perhaps she'll get some actually help with the kids. I don't know, but the sense I got was that she did care. She reminded me of someone who was shell-shocked. Maybe a situation can be worked out where she can keep her kids but be given some sort of worker to come into the home and allow her to get some rest now and then. As to them wearing no clothes...it's not uncommon at all for kids with autism to take off every stitch of clothes you put on them. A lot of times, certain fabrics feel unbearable to them, to the point of pain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to the Russian stories?? 7 min yep 1
GIRTHER Movement - The World is LAUGHING 9 min dre 3
WowSHITHOLES and Medical Testing on eve of shut... 10 min wowza 1
Trump Hogs Umbrella to Protect Toupee 13 min oh man 31
Steve Bannon Sings like a Bird 23 min Freshman 3
America Held Hostage Day 362 24 min Fake News 20
Vigilante Justice Active in Hurricane Again 25 min Electronic Gang S... 23
Naming those shythole nations or people 43 min cool 100
My company should close today! It’s dangerous! 1 hr Silent Majority 36
Poverty capital of America , it's not West Virg... 3 hr wifey 44