off duty deputies at 1st street krogers

Posted in the Huntington Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SOUTHSIDE

Hewett, WV

#1 Apr 10, 2012
Several times at 1st Street Krogers, I have seen off duty deputies working there (actually a deputy is really never off duty.) These young men (or at least they look young) are very nice men. I don't know their names, one is very muscular and in great shape and another one I have seen has an Italian looking with rosy cheeks (and in great shape also) My reason for saying this is because I have seen on tv alot officers that are very over weight and you wonder how they are able to run and chase a criminal if they had to. But anyways, citizens like myself don't have the chance to be around law enforcement offficers that much and it is nice to see them out in a public place where they stop to talk to the citizens to find out what they think about crime and drugs in our community, I know these men aren't at Krogers just to stop to talk to every customer but it is nice that should you have a question or concern, you can ask these officers a question and they will take the time to answer you without making you feel dump. I would like to see more community meeetings with city and county law enforcement to express our concerns. I live on the southside and not aware if we even have such a community crime watch group. Does anyone know these officers or any other that will come and speak to groups, such as a senior citizen center ?

“I walk among you but”

Level 8

Since: Feb 12

I am not one of you

#2 Apr 10, 2012
The only problem I have with police working second jobs at Krogers or anyplace else is that we pay for the uniforms and they wear them while working for private co. More waste.
nice

Charleston, WV

#3 Apr 10, 2012
it's nice to see someone saying something nice about our community. I am not sure where the south side is but law enforcement agencies are happy to send a representative to community meeting if you request it.
seriously

Charleston, WV

#4 Apr 10, 2012
Bellah wrote:
The only problem I have with police working second jobs at Krogers or anyplace else is that we pay for the uniforms and they wear them while working for private co. More waste.
seriously? that is ridiculous. and the company that hires the officer go thru the agency they dont employee the officer themselves and the agency makes a nice profit from it. it's classified as special event pay and the city/county/state usually keeps 25% which is straight profit and probably more than the uniform costs.

“I walk among you but”

Level 8

I am not one of you

#5 Apr 10, 2012
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
seriously? that is ridiculous. and the company that hires the officer go thru the agency they dont employee the officer themselves and the agency makes a nice profit from it. it's classified as special event pay and the city/county/state usually keeps 25% which is straight profit and probably more than the uniform costs.
Krogers is not a special event. Police are always getting extra jobs. I don't blame them for dong that.
However they could work as extra security. The only time the uniform should be worn is while working for the city as a police person.
hmmm

Charleston, WV

#6 Apr 10, 2012
Bellah wrote:
<quoted text>Krogers is not a special event. Police are always getting extra jobs. I don't blame them for dong that.
However they could work as extra security. The only time the uniform should be worn is while working for the city as a police person.
but they are working for the police dept. the company goes thru the police dept for security instead of a security company and pay dearly to have the police uniform instead of a nobody. and it's not a special event but that's how's it coded in payroll.
the truth is that rent-a-cop uniforms do nothing and I completely understand why companies choose to go this route.

“I walk among you but”

Level 8

I am not one of you

#7 Apr 10, 2012
I will have to just agree with you because I have no proof that what you are saying is not true.
I only heard different, I don't have anything to back my words up.
fake tits

Bloomville, OH

#8 Apr 10, 2012
SOUTHSIDE wrote:
Several times at 1st Street Krogers, I have seen off duty deputies working there (actually a deputy is really never off duty.) These young men (or at least they look young) are very nice men. I don't know their names, one is very muscular and in great shape and another one I have seen has an Italian looking with rosy cheeks (and in great shape also) My reason for saying this is because I have seen on tv alot officers that are very over weight and you wonder how they are able to run and chase a criminal if they had to. But anyways, citizens like myself don't have the chance to be around law enforcement offficers that much and it is nice to see them out in a public place where they stop to talk to the citizens to find out what they think about crime and drugs in our community, I know these men aren't at Krogers just to stop to talk to every customer but it is nice that should you have a question or concern, you can ask these officers a question and they will take the time to answer you without making you feel dump. I would like to see more community meeetings with city and county law enforcement to express our concerns. I live on the southside and not aware if we even have such a community crime watch group. Does anyone know these officers or any other that will come and speak to groups, such as a senior citizen center ?
Jason Smith at Hpd he is K9 and his dog is a "love hound"
hmmm

Charleston, WV

#9 Apr 10, 2012
Bellah wrote:
I will have to just agree with you because I have no proof that what you are saying is not true.
I only heard different, I don't have anything to back my words up.
my mother does payroll for another cities police and fire departments. I'm assuming it works the same way here. I know it does in a couple of other cities and it would be too much of a liability to have them working as a police officer and being employed by a third party...worjers' comp would be a nightmare.

“I walk among you but”

Level 8

I am not one of you

#10 Apr 10, 2012
hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
my mother does payroll for another cities police and fire departments. I'm assuming it works the same way here. I know it does in a couple of other cities and it would be too much of a liability to have them working as a police officer and being employed by a third party...worjers' comp would be a nightmare.
I throw in the towel and I agree.
I will not carry on when I am shown that I am wrong. Thank you both for the info.
RESIDENT

Hewett, WV

#11 Apr 10, 2012
Why complaining about them wearing UNIFORMS. Each time I have been at Krogers, these men are wearing street clothes. I have never seen one in a uniform. I am sure parts of their uniforms were paid for by themselves, so they could order a better shirts/pants/shoes or whatever than the county provides. My company provides us with uniforms but we have the option to purchase additional pants and shirts at our expense. It's sad that anyone has to work two jobs in todays economy, but I am glad to see these officers talking with the public instead of having a stuck up "better than you" attitude like some have.
hmmm

Charleston, WV

#12 Apr 10, 2012
Bellah wrote:
<quoted text>I throw in the towel and I agree.
I will not carry on when I am shown that I am wrong. Thank you both for the info.
oh, I wasn't trying to defeat you I was just sharing what I knew. a lot of people probably think the same way as you. the reason hey list it as special event is because it's an over time loophole. they get a straight fee instead of per hour.
sorry if my response sounded defensive or argumentative because it was not intended that way

“I walk among you but”

Level 8

I am not one of you

#13 Apr 10, 2012
hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, I wasn't trying to defeat you I was just sharing what I knew. a lot of people probably think the same way as you. the reason hey list it as special event is because it's an over time loophole. they get a straight fee instead of per hour.
sorry if my response sounded defensive or argumentative because it was not intended that way
I didn't feel defeated.
I will just admit when I am wrong.
Your response was was very nice and informative.
Yes

United States

#14 Apr 10, 2012
It is great to see these guys out.
nosey noisy

Hurricane, WV

#15 Apr 10, 2012
they waste to much gas leaving the cars running for hours while in headquarters

“Often copied, never duplicated”

Level 8

Since: Nov 11

BelAir, CA

#16 Apr 10, 2012
The first street Krogers has become so run-down and cluttered, which I find a little surprising as its the closest store to the south-side which used to be one of the nicer areas in Huntington.
A lot of people I have spoken to will go out of their way to shop at their 26th street location or even venture out to B'ville just to get a better selection and in cleaner/less cluttered surroundings.
Bad places tend to attract bad crowds and 1st Kroger's is no exception to this.
Call me judgemental ( or just call me mental) but a lot of the folks their either scare me or gross me out. Even though it was the most convenient location for me personally, I stopped going.
Its easy to see why Kroger's has chosen to hire off-duty cops( or whatever they are). Given the desperation and/or criminal element that often pervades there Its a pretty good bet there's a lot of theft there, and its also fairly reasonable to assume that a few employees are engaged in various forms of embezzling.
This is yet another example of residential profiling Kroger's ( and the ilk) actuate to accomodate maximum profits for their company. The hired cops are a tax-write-off, they stock the store to reflect lower income patrons, and they dont upgrade their facility. In contrast, the B'ville location sits in much higher-per-capita income bracket, so you get a much better selection and more expensive brands.

In a pseudo-related topic,I was wondering if anyone knows why Flapjacks on 3rd avenue and 15th street, has late night "guards?" I really don't know what to call them and am even more curious as to what their real function is. I have seen fights break out in there but those guys do absolutely nothing and they I have not observed them calling anyone in. Is just the mere presence of a uniformed personnel supposed to thwart off violent or abusive activities there?

“I walk among you but”

Level 8

I am not one of you

#17 Apr 10, 2012
Shop at Julian's Market and there won't be a problem.
livercage

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 10, 2012
Spleencage wrote:
The first street Krogers has become so run-down and cluttered, which I find a little surprising as its the closest store to the south-side which used to be one of the nicer areas in Huntington.
A lot of people I have spoken to will go out of their way to shop at their 26th street location or even venture out to B'ville just to get a better selection and in cleaner/less cluttered surroundings.
Bad places tend to attract bad crowds and 1st Kroger's is no exception to this.
Call me judgemental ( or just call me mental) but a lot of the folks their either scare me or gross me out. Even though it was the most convenient location for me personally, I stopped going.
Its easy to see why Kroger's has chosen to hire off-duty cops( or whatever they are). Given the desperation and/or criminal element that often pervades there Its a pretty good bet there's a lot of theft there, and its also fairly reasonable to assume that a few employees are engaged in various forms of embezzling.
This is yet another example of residential profiling Kroger's ( and the ilk) actuate to accomodate maximum profits for their company. The hired cops are a tax-write-off, they stock the store to reflect lower income patrons, and they dont upgrade their facility. In contrast, the B'ville location sits in much higher-per-capita income bracket, so you get a much better selection and more expensive brands.
In a pseudo-related topic,I was wondering if anyone knows why Flapjacks on 3rd avenue and 15th street, has late night "guards?" I really don't know what to call them and am even more curious as to what their real function is. I have seen fights break out in there but those guys do absolutely nothing and they I have not observed them calling anyone in. Is just the mere presence of a uniformed personnel supposed to thwart off violent or abusive activities there?
JUDGEMENTAL, leaning heavely towards the mental

“Often copied, never duplicated”

Level 8

Since: Nov 11

BelAir, CA

#19 Apr 10, 2012
Bellah wrote:
Shop at Julian's Market and there won't be a problem.
actually, IMO its worse there

Level 4

Since: Jan 12

Findlay, OH

#20 Apr 11, 2012
I have heard several people complain about the 1st Street Krogers but have never had a bad experience there myself. I think it's a decent enough neighborhood grocery store.

Sometimes I think Huntington natives blow things way out of proportion and make them see worse than they really are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I will never shop at Huntington Walmart again 25 min Derek 46
Dog the bounty hunter is coming 36 min larry b 22
What happened at Adult Emporium 47 min hornyNhtown 6
Tea Party visited fergusen during riots to.... 1 hr Derek 3
is sons of anarchy a real show 1 hr -zapphod- 1
Natalie Tennant breaks election laws 1 hr -zapphod- 9
Amanda clark is doing naked cleaning and stripping 2 hr -zapphod- 11
Cops at Beards funeral home 4 hr RN2 27
Huntington Dating
Find my Match