Review: Dodson Pest Control

Review: Dodson Pest Control

Posted in the Huntington Forum

Dana Dooped in Bville

Chesapeake, OH

#1 Feb 25, 2013
This company misled me, plain stole from me, threatened me, and overcharged me for almost no work. A few summers ago I began noticing strange sounds in my attic and soon after I discovered 20-30 bats had moved into my attic. I called Dodson because I felt that a franchise backed by a national corporation was the best way to go. They responded quickly and were at my house within a day. They used scare tactics saying that my children were at severe risk to contract a deadly disease & that I would not be able to sell my house by law without some expensive services. Once I was told that my childrens life was at risk I foolishly agreed to >$4000 worth of services and wrote them a $2K+ check for a deposit. They promised to remove the bats without harming them, to isolate my attic with negative air pressure "like what is used for asbetos abatement to prevent the spread of disease as they removed the bat guano", sanitize/deodorize the entire attic after the removal of the bat guano with chemicals "that were only available with a special license", remove/replace approximately half of the insulation, and seal off all access points that the bats were using to get inside the attic. I would have agreed to almost any price because there is nothing more valuable to me than my children's health and the services that they said were necessary were not something I could do myself. To make a long story short the actual service consisted of filling in cracks with (2)$5 cans of expanding foam, installing window screen over an attic vent with staples, and using a regular shop vac to remove about half of the bat guano that was in my attic. They repeatedly told me how dangerous it was to enter my house while they worked. I responded by asking, "What about the negative pressure isolation? Won't that keep the living area safe?" I knew that they had brought nothing into the home other than a shop vac and an extension cord. I entered against the conman supervisor's advice to find their worker in a bedroom looking through my daughter's DVDs. I became enraged at his repeated angry assertions of the ludicrous explanation that he was looking for bat droppings. The supervisor who minutes before had tried to stop me from entering my own home by blocking my door rushed in and the first words out of his mouth were "There will be no refund and we are leaving. My workers don't have to put up with these kind of accusations" I asked him where is the negative pressure isolation, what insulation had been removed, where are the "special" sanitizing/deodorizing chemicals? He responded by saying that I didn't know what I was talking about and they had already done all of that and they left. As soon as they left we noticed that many of our personal effects were out of place and other small items of varying value had been taken. Grand total on the missing items was $400-$500. On top of that they had left the trash bag containing the "deadly" bat guano on my stairs. Amazingly a week later I received a bill for the remaining $2K+ balance and they even had the nerve to tack on a few extra fees (eg Hazardous Material Disposal Fee) I called them and informed them I wouldn't be paying them for incomplete service & that I had contacted an attorney to recover the $2K deposit as well. At that time the individual, who refused to give me his name or position at the company, threatened me with collection agency and harm to my credit. In the end I was unable recover the $2K deposit but they never acted on their threats either. Truth is my attorney told me that the contract I had signed when I gave them the initial deposit was vague and didn't provide enough detail to recover my deposit. Save yourself the trouble and hire a more reputable company.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
James Hood 19 min Sounds like 43
Theresa dasher and chuck stidom 28 min Thought I knew em 2
Alligator Jackson 43 min Truth 295
Josh Fitzpatrick Fired 49 min buckeye 144
does anyone know where to get cigarettes withou... (Jul '11) 1 hr Trump jr 34
Women selling themselves on the interstate ramps 1 hr Tabitha 5
wsaz and tony cavalier 1 hr Trump jr 3

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance