Jeannette Walls receives Literary Merit Award

Submitted by Jennifer Sias, Associate Professor and Information Literacy Librarian, Marshall University Libraries When Jeannette Walls was a child and a teenager, food often was scarce or nonexistent, and ... Full Story
First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Sandy

Nicholasville, KY

#338 Jun 7, 2013
Just finished the book and found it to be a compelling read and well written. I have no doubts Ms Walls had a miserable childhood due to alcoholic/mentally ill parents. I do believe there was great embellishment in order to appeal to a broader audience and to increase sales. Not for one minute did I believe that in the 1970's she had two high school teachers who had never been to college...didn't happen. I congratulate her on her successes.
ReadSomething

Australia

#339 Aug 10, 2013
These 3 people on this forum are the stupidest, most ignorant fools I've ever had to read:- crystal, sissyj, IF so.
Who are they? Morons who stand in judgment on the lives of others. I tell you what, you 3 idiots, if you come from a shit-hole like Welch then I hope you never ever leave it. I hope you are stuck there for the rest of your worthless lives. Sharing this world with ignorant and dangerous people like you is not acceptable.
ReadSomething

Australia

#340 Aug 10, 2013
If Ms Walls says she had to high school teachers who never went to college then I'm willing to believe her. Remember the places her parents forced her to live in - the kind of places that properly accredited teachers probably avoided like the plague - go nowhere dead towns. If you had accredition to teach why would you go somewhere like Welch. You wouldn't - you would avoid it. Unless you actually come from her family then you can't say she's making it up. Her mother should be in prison for extreme neglect and abuse.
CafeinParis13

Honolulu, HI

#341 Sep 2, 2013
crystal wrote:
I think she has a sister or an alais named J-WVU girl.She puts down the county,state, and her paernts in the book.Shes says in the book that while in school she had to dig through garbage cans for food,THERE WAS FREE LUNCH THEN.She saw her parents begging and homeless in the street of I think N.Y. and she hid from shame,SHE LET THEM SLLEP ON THE STREETS COLD AND HUNGRY.She is not someone I would want to know and I would never spend a dime on one of her books.Read the book BEFORE you praise her, you will probably change your mind.
WoW, I find your synopsis interesting. She did a great job of explaining all of that (living in Welch, not participating in the Free Lunch program because her parents would not sign/fill out whatever paperwork was necessary, parents being homeless, etc) in the book. Part of what makes this book so wonderful is that she in fact does not 'put down' anyone or anything. She accepts her experiences, her misfortunes, her fortunes, her family, and her life. There is no self-pity. Considering her childhood and life as a young adult, she is definitely worthy of admiration. She accepted her past rather than use it as an excuse for her present and her future. Jeannette Walls sounds like someone I would be pleased to know. Great book!!!!
thecat

Ivydale, WV

#342 Sep 25, 2013
I grew up with her when she lived in welch even use to set in the gym with her waiting on classes to start she always hd nice cloths to ware and was very pretty . I knew her dad an mother they was ice folks true her father was a drunk but nice guy an her mother may have had a lil mental disease but they was nice folks that seemed always to be dressed decnt enuff like the rest of us back then . we was all poor growing up in the town of welch if ya was poor that's where you lived because most all your utilitys where added in with your rent hell back then 300 would get ya a warm place to lay ya head an water to take a bath . many of nights I went to bed hungry and im sure she did to but we was all happy .I never seen her family digging in garbage for something to eat thou. I don't believe this we was all like family if ya was hungry you would go to your neighbors house to eat . you might not have bread but someone else would an you might have cheese so we all had something to eat . so I guess we did have hard times back then but I don't believe everything she wrote some are true but a lot she would have to prove. she always seemed to be happy an had a smile on her face but if you can make good money off of a story fact or false and coming from where we did then more power to her I hope she makes millions !

Level 5

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#343 Sep 29, 2013
Final bounce

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rahall-Jenkins House race remains tight 4 min -zapphod- 128
Jessica Linville (May '12) 5 min pitbull 7
does every1 smoke crack? 11 min the28thletter 5
how was your weekend out of town this weekend t... 25 min -zapphod- 1
Dog the bounty hunter is coming 33 min mike 16
last warrior poet is trying to get with guys at... 55 min -zapphod- 1
Zaphods rainbow pride 59 min -zapphod- 4
Cops at Beards funeral home 10 hr kevin 26
Huntington Dating
Find my Match