First Prev
of 5
Next Last
EducatedWVirgini an

Wexford, PA

#2 Nov 26, 2011
Seriously? You form a post about this and then go all stereotypical and talk like a moron. We all know MTV is going to find the most inaccurate portrayals of WV young adults. Maybe if they were basing it out of Huntington/surrounding area or even WVU/surrounding area *MAYBE* they would get a more accurate portrayal.

We are not all country, squirrel hunting, fishing, wear camo all the time individuals. We are just like everyone else in the country, shop at the same stores, have similar styles, we just happen to be from a different state. We've had nothing but bad publicity come out of anything made about us like Wrong Turn, Teen Mom 2(yeah Corey looks/acts like an idiot), and the Whites movie. We do not need anymore bad media. We've been the "fattest" state in the country also. Seriously MTV pick Kentucky or some other southern state, why WV?

People don't even know we are a state half of the time. Then when they do they have all the above bad references that I previously mentioned. They said the cast would be doing typical small town things like muddin, squirrel hunting, and rope swingin? Rope swingin? Seriously i'm a Marshall student and I don't ever go "Rope Swingin" and only have when I was in elementary school. This is just absurd. I'm terrified of what kind of cast members they plan on casting and what they are going to shoot. I mean we go to movies, on dates, hang out at home, parties, go shopping, go out to eat, all of those activities but they decided to focus on muddin and rope swingin. Really this is so stereotypical and terrifying.

I hope they don't cause even more harm than has already been inflicted upon this state and its citizens. God help us all.
MountainMamma

Elkview, WV

#3 Nov 26, 2011
You can't turn on the tv without seeing a reality show. Why should West Virginians be left out?
rebelrouser

Powell, OH

#4 Nov 26, 2011
EducatedWVirginian wrote:
Seriously? You form a post about this and then go all stereotypical and talk like a moron. We all know MTV is going to find the most inaccurate portrayals of WV young adults. Maybe if they were basing it out of Huntington/surrounding area or even WVU/surrounding area *MAYBE* they would get a more accurate portrayal.
We are not all country, squirrel hunting, fishing, wear camo all the time individuals. We are just like everyone else in the country, shop at the same stores, have similar styles, we just happen to be from a different state. We've had nothing but bad publicity come out of anything made about us like Wrong Turn, Teen Mom 2(yeah Corey looks/acts like an idiot), and the Whites movie. We do not need anymore bad media. We've been the "fattest" state in the country also. Seriously MTV pick Kentucky or some other southern state, why WV?
People don't even know we are a state half of the time. Then when they do they have all the above bad references that I previously mentioned. They said the cast would be doing typical small town things like muddin, squirrel hunting, and rope swingin? Rope swingin? Seriously i'm a Marshall student and I don't ever go "Rope Swingin" and only have when I was in elementary school. This is just absurd. I'm terrified of what kind of cast members they plan on casting and what they are going to shoot. I mean we go to movies, on dates, hang out at home, parties, go shopping, go out to eat, all of those activities but they decided to focus on muddin and rope swingin. Really this is so stereotypical and terrifying.
I hope they don't cause even more harm than has already been inflicted upon this state and its citizens. God help us all.
You are a fu~#@ng idiot! Areas around Huntington and Morgantown only represent a small portion of West Virginia and both areas are college towns where a lot of the students aren't even from WV! While it is true that most of our publicity is not the greatest, it isn't the worst. Yes, we do go to movies and on dates, but we also do go muddin and sometimes even rope swingin! I also haven't been rope swingin since I was a youngin, but I would go right now if I had half a chance! I am proud to be from West By God Virginia and I will show it every chance I get. We are country people here who like to hunt and fish and do outdoors activities and that is nothing to be ashamed of. And as a matter of fact, we do not have the same styles here. I work in retail and know for a fact that studies show we are 2 to 5 years behind the rest of the world in fashion. But that doesn't mean we are any less important, or otherwise relevant than the citizens of any other state. The fact that you see being a country person as shameful shows how much of a true West Virginian you're not and you should keep your mouth shut about the subject.
EducatedWVirgini an

Wexford, PA

#5 Nov 26, 2011
Here's the deal rebelrouser, I am a proud West Virginian and I am trying to state a fact that not all West Virginians engage in those "country" activities, and not everyone is country. I am not bashing country people at all, because I live in a rural area with a lot of them and they are the nicest people you can come across. I am simply stating that not everyone from WV is country just like you said around the college towns is not accurate either. The difference is that kids from all walks of life come to Marshall. Walk the campus you will see preppy kids, goth, emo, country, you name it you will find it. They are not all rich stuck up college kids. Yes some are from out of state but obviously they would need to find people from WV to be on the show.

I am proud of being from WV and I am not ashamed at all, I am ashamed at people like you who think I'm an idiot simply for stating facts. I have lived here my entire life (25 years) and I have engaged in muddin, rope swinging, hunting, you name it I've done it. BUT I do not do these activities every weekend, all the time like this show seems to be portraying. I do not wear camo 24/7 or flannels.

Btw we sell the same exact clothes that retailers all across the country sell. The citizens may choose not to buy them and wear their "old" clothes but we still *SELL* the same styles they sell in Columbus, in lexington, in NY, in LA. They are the same brands the same clothes, they all come out at the same time. So whether or not people wear them is a different story. We are not 2-5 years behind, because we BUY the same clothes as people from other cities do. So idk what kind of retail you work in but that is not accurate.(I worked in retail for 4 years previously) so I am no moron when it comes to what is sold. You can bring a horse to water but ya can't make them drink (or wear stylish clothes I guess).

We are not all country people. This is the type of stereotype that portrays us as barefoot, toothless idiots. We all are not country. Some are which is wonderful and some are very different. Some are gothic, some are EMO, some are preppy, some don't have a label and just do their own thing. This show if all it represents is "country" kids then it is misrepresenting WV because not all kids are this way.

Go look in the high schools in Cabell, Wayne, yes there are country folks but there are also unique kids with different styles. You can't portray WV as only country, or only toothless, or only whatever. We are a mixture of people and ways of life and all I am saying is that they should show things other than just the country aspects because not all young adults engage in these activities that frequently.

I'm from Wayne County by the way, lived here all my life so don't tell me about "country" people or that I am ashamed of them, because that is not true.
1 post removed
Cast member

Charleston, WV

#7 Nov 29, 2011
Honesly you idiots have no clue what you are taking about, I have heard a million different stories about how this show is going to make WV look bad... blah blah blah. The thing that is actually amusing is you all talk all this stuff about this show and what not, when it all reality you know absolutley NOTHING AT ALL about this. Yes I live in WV, I go huntin', Fishin, fourwheelin, & eat squirrel gravy. To tell you the truth I wouldnt have it any other way :) I live in a hollar... meaning some blacktop, most dirt road & it is wonderful. People in WV are exactly like other people around the coutnry, we may have different expectations & definitely different ways of having fun, thats for sure. Just bc we are from WV doesnt make us "uneducated imbread hillbillys" I hate to break it to you, Ive heard wayyyyyyyy to much negative talk about the movie "wild and wonderful whites" LET ME JUST SAY THIS SHOW WILL BE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE THAT TRASHY DISGUSTING MOVIE. To make a long story short this show is going to be able a group of close friends straight out of high school, just trying to live their regular lives. IM talking working their asses off for what they need/want in life bc we dont get everything handed to us at the snap of a finger like most spoiled children, my parents tought me to work for the things I want, it teaches responsibility. I have goals in my life & do not plan on dancing on tables & doing drugs all my life hahahahaha. The way we look at all of this nonsence is ; our appearence is how we will be making our money & I can speak for myself & a few others for certin we have no intentions of making this state look bad, oh & my most concern is my family. I refuse to be on camera (live TV) making a complete idiotic trampy fool out of myself... We are just like everyone else, trying to deal with day-to-day struggles, drama, stress, family & friend issuse. We truly are an amazing bunch of kids & we are just trying to make it in this one stop light town, dont get me wrong we are teens so of course we have our fun from time-to-time, such as; bomb fires, fourwheeling, mudding, hunting, coon hunting, berry pickin', & me personally I like to ride my horses. I just hope everyone gives us a chance, we are all smart enough to know we have to live in the state, therefore we are not going to be doing anything outrageous to give our names a bad reputation, we are smarter than your adverage hillbilly, if i do say so myself. So everyone should just pray about this show & the cast members to lead them in the right direction & not make themselves look degrading on National Television.... I know I had God on my side & he knows the right path for me.... So to all you "haters" just shhhhhhhhhh, stop talking/commenting about something you have no idea about, because you will see soon enough that this show is going to blow the majority of MTV's other shows out of the park :) Thank you ladies and Gentlemen & have a wonderful day!
Cast member

Charleston, WV

#8 Nov 29, 2011
chilli dog wrote:
Rebel rouser will more than likely be on the show. I totally agree with educated wv. The only publicity wv gets is bad. While I'm somewhat proud to be from here, I do not go muddin and rope swinging. I do however love to fish. They would never put a " normal " west Virginian on one of those shows. They find the most hill jack sob there is.
Im pretty sure the name Rebel Rouser has not even be mentioned during any of this. I agree WV is education, some people may not be, but thats every state you go to. & the only reason WV gets bad publicity is because of these ridiculous movies that have been made in WV & supposidly based on a true story... haha! You are somewhat proud to be from here, I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion but im a country girl at heart & that will never change. You do not go mudding, do you really not own a fourwheeler? If not you should really invest in one & take a ride threw some of the beautiful trails & mountains around here. As far as rope swinging goes it's a blast!!!!!!!!!! Climb a huge rock/hillside & swing out into the lake/pond on the rope swing,its really fun maybe you should stop being stuck up and try it out hunny :) Oh and im actually really offended by the last comment you made " they wouldnt put a "normal" West Virginin on the show, "they find the most hill jack sob there is?" I WOLD LOVEEEEEEEE to know exactly what that is supposed to mean, & what gives you the right to judge anyone on the show, ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE PEOPLE, im sorry but your a nobody talking bad about something you dont have the first freakin clue about. Im actually a well educated person, I have major goals in my life that I WILL accomplish, I do not do drugs & you could not consider me a "dancin outlaw" or whatever! & I am a very smart person & the LAST thing in the world I would ever do is embarris my family, they have high expectations for me & will not tolerate any kinda of embarrisment especially to my familys name, I came from a wonderful but strict family & I was raised in church. My family is everything to me especially my mother & step father.. well basically my father & the last thing I would ever do would be dissappoint the ones that put all their faith in me, & I love them more than life itself.... All im trying to get at is don't say negative, judgemental things about this upcoming show when you honestly know nothing about it..... ANY WHO... Don't sweat it hunny bunny bc when the show finally airs you will have nothing further to say but positive opinions, you shall see soon enough my friends.
Cast member

Charleston, WV

#9 Nov 29, 2011
MountainMamma wrote:
You can't turn on the tv without seeing a reality show. Why should West Virginians be left out?
FINALLY SOMETHING POSITIVE, WE WILL NOT MAKE THIS STATE LOOK BAD. We are well rounded kids who came from wonderful familys & we are just like every typical kid, we may not be living in a mansion & have our daddys credit card to purchase whatever we want but we work for what we have around here & my opinion i'd MUCH rather live in a holler in a decent house, not worring about all the traffic in the city, having peace and quite it always nice too. Life is not always about the materalistc things in life. Im thankful for what I have and couldnt ask for anything more :)
2 posts removed
Get_A_Clue

Dallas, TX

#12 Dec 1, 2011
Do you really think they would make a show about how wonderful, drama free West Virgina kids are living? Who wants to watch that? They need something people are going to watch and be entertained with. They most definitely will get the idiotic people in West Virgina to perform & act as they do best... Act like idiots.
Ouch

United States

#13 Dec 1, 2011
I bet it will be a white trash version of jersey shore.
West Virginian

Morgantown, WV

#14 Dec 1, 2011
To Cast Member:

I know of 4 or 5 cast members that will be on this show, and they will do nothing but give this state a worse reputation than it already has.....as shown by your flawless grammar.
Tammy

Charleston, WV

#15 Dec 6, 2011
Cast member wrote:
Honesly you idiots have no clue what you are taking about, I have heard a million different stories about how this show is going to make WV look bad... blah blah blah. The thing that is actually amusing is you all talk all this stuff about this show and what not, when it all reality you know absolutley NOTHING AT ALL about this. Yes I live in WV, I go huntin', Fishin, fourwheelin, & eat squirrel gravy. To tell you the truth I wouldnt have it any other way :) I live in a hollar... meaning some blacktop, most dirt road & it is wonderful. People in WV are exactly like other people around the coutnry, we may have different expectations & definitely different ways of having fun, thats for sure. Just bc we are from WV doesnt make us "uneducated imbread hillbillys" I hate to break it to you, Ive heard wayyyyyyyy to much negative talk about the movie "wild and wonderful whites" LET ME JUST SAY THIS SHOW WILL BE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE THAT TRASHY DISGUSTING MOVIE. To make a long story short this show is going to be able a group of close friends straight out of high school, just trying to live their regular lives. IM talking working their asses off for what they need/want in life bc we dont get everything handed to us at the snap of a finger like most spoiled children, my parents tought me to work for the things I want, it teaches responsibility. I have goals in my life & do not plan on dancing on tables & doing drugs all my life hahahahaha. The way we look at all of this nonsence is ; our appearence is how we will be making our money & I can speak for myself & a few others for certin we have no intentions of making this state look bad, oh & my most concern is my family. I refuse to be on camera (live TV) making a complete idiotic trampy fool out of myself... We are just like everyone else, trying to deal with day-to-day struggles, drama, stress, family & friend issuse. We truly are an amazing bunch of kids & we are just trying to make it in this one stop light town, dont get me wrong we are teens so of course we have our fun from time-to-time, such as; bomb fires, fourwheeling, mudding, hunting, coon hunting, berry pickin', & me personally I like to ride my horses. I just hope everyone gives us a chance, we are all smart enough to know we have to live in the state, therefore we are not going to be doing anything outrageous to give our names a bad reputation, we are smarter than your adverage hillbilly, if i do say so myself. So everyone should just pray about this show & the cast members to lead them in the right direction & not make themselves look degrading on National Television.... I know I had God on my side & he knows the right path for me.... So to all you "haters" just shhhhhhhhhh, stop talking/commenting about something you have no idea about, because you will see soon enough that this show is going to blow the majority of MTV's other shows out of the park :) Thank you ladies and Gentlemen & have a wonderful day!
Cast Member,

Since you are so "educated" I'm guessing you know that it is spelled "average" not "adverage" and we have "bonfires" not "bombfires" ...just a thought
Wv girl

United States

#16 Feb 6, 2012
well everyone talkin bout us people n wv r stupid..your obviously not from here n u def. Dont know what u are talkin about smh...u all r idiots
spellcheck

United States

#17 Feb 6, 2012
Wv girl wrote:
well everyone talkin bout us people n wv r stupid..your obviously not from here n u def. Dont know what u are talkin about smh...u all r idiots
Is this even English? I mean "is this hur languawage your speakin some kinda foreign speakins?!

So smh WV you must be the idiot..
CultureVulture

Huntington, WV

#18 Feb 6, 2012
As to the tv show...we might as well accept it. They will absolutely find the most simple-minded hicks they can round up, so the rest of the country can laugh. We might as well accept that. I don't like it any more than you do, but I'm not going to kid myself.

As to W.V. being "just like everyone else", oh, I'm afraid I'm not buying that. I'm a native West Virginian and I have traveled all over the U.S., and lived in several other places, actual cities. I'm sorry, but neither Huntington nor Charleston can even come close.

If you really believe that there is no difference...no offense, but I can safely assume that your travel itinerary would only boast a Myrtle Beach trip every summer. If you HAVE traveled many places, you must have stayed strictly with your group, or you would have seen the many obvious differences. "We're just like everybody else" is something West Virginians tell each other to try to feel more included. W.V. is like nowhere else in the world.

The cultural climate here is the greatest indicator of sophistication, not a mall shop where you can buy an "Ed Hardy" tee "like what they wear in L.A.". Trust me, by the time W.V. begins selling a certain kind of trendy clothing, you can bet it isn't trendy anywhere else...use the super baggy "hip-hop" look for an example. You still see LOTS of people dressed like that around here, but in big cities across the U.S., that look has been OVER for close to 15 years. Just because you saw it in a store in W.V. doesn't mean you'll see it in Vogue's Fall Issue.

As to the cultural offerings...West Virginia can offer no opera to speak of. Please, no one embarrass themselves by referring to that mockery Randall Reid-Smith as an opera star. He lampoons the art with every bellowing gasp he brings forth. The fact that he is in charge of West Virginia's culture is a direct slap in the face to the few educated among us.

We have almost no theatre above "community style", and our "literary scene" consists almost ENTIRELY of vanity-published abominations. If you go to a certain book store in downtown Huntington to attend a book signing, you'll find that the "author" is typically one of the many town "kooks", reading from their 600 page masterpiece, rife with misspellings and nonsense, because they weren't required to EDIT their manuscript. Typically, they have titles like "Mee-Maw Solves a Mystery" or "How Momma Raised 9 Kids on Beans-n-Cornbread". It is not a literary achievement to have your book "sold on Amazon". ANY fool can do this. Yet the Herald Dispatch runs fawning articles about such events REGULARLY. It is embarrassing.

"Art galleries" here are predominantly run by amateurish, clownish dilettantes, who prey on silly people who have never even picked up an issue of "Art News" or "Collector" in their entire LIVES. The gallery owners tell people that they are from a big city elsewhere and safely rely on that statement alone to impress poorly-read social climbers who know NOTHING about art. It works, too. It never seems to occur to anyone that only a truly grand failure in a large city would make someone crawl down HERE to open an ART GALLERY of ALL THINGS. If someone were FROM here, running one, at least that would make a little sense.

Our glossy magazines are mostly nothing but "mutual admiration societies" on paper, with the publishers simply promoting their own businesses under the guise of "journalism". Speaking of journalism...how about that Herald-Dispatch, huh? The writers there cannot get through ONE simple paragraph without at least a dozen misspellings of simple words. Can any of you understand how disheartening it is to slog through horrible grammar and spelling when trying to read an "article" about some ATTEMPT at a "cultural event"? Do you get how sad and disgusted that makes people like me feel?

West Virginia is my home. I was born here. Sorry, I know quite a bit about actual literature, art and music. Believe me, W.V. is like nowhere else on earth.
2 posts removed
4WheelinIdiots

Huntington, WV

#21 Feb 6, 2012
Cast member wrote:
<quoted text>
Im pretty sure the name Rebel Rouser has not even be mentioned during any of this. I agree WV is education, some people may not be, but thats every state you go to. & the only reason WV gets bad publicity is because of these ridiculous movies that have been made in WV & supposidly based on a true story... haha! You are somewhat proud to be from here, I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion but im a country girl at heart & that will never change. You do not go mudding, do you really not own a fourwheeler? If not you should really invest in one & take a ride threw some of the beautiful trails & mountains around here. As far as rope swinging goes it's a blast!!!!!!!!!! Climb a huge rock/hillside & swing out into the lake/pond on the rope swing,its really fun maybe you should stop being stuck up and try it out hunny :) Oh and im actually really offended by the last comment you made " they wouldnt put a "normal" West Virginin on the show, "they find the most hill jack sob there is?" I WOLD LOVEEEEEEEE to know exactly what that is supposed to mean, & what gives you the right to judge anyone on the show, ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE PEOPLE, im sorry but your a nobody talking bad about something you dont have the first freakin clue about. Im actually a well educated person, I have major goals in my life that I WILL accomplish, I do not do drugs & you could not consider me a "dancin outlaw" or whatever! & I am a very smart person & the LAST thing in the world I would ever do is embarris my family, they have high expectations for me & will not tolerate any kinda of embarrisment especially to my familys name, I came from a wonderful but strict family & I was raised in church. My family is everything to me especially my mother & step father.. well basically my father & the last thing I would ever do would be dissappoint the ones that put all their faith in me, & I love them more than life itself.... All im trying to get at is don't say negative, judgemental things about this upcoming show when you honestly know nothing about it..... ANY WHO... Don't sweat it hunny bunny bc when the show finally airs you will have nothing further to say but positive opinions, you shall see soon enough my friends.
You sound like an idiot. You can barely spell, you give your education level away with every word, and the thing that annoys the sh** outta me is your advice to "invest in a four wheeler" so that others might enjoy West Virginia's natural beauty. It's ignorant four-wheelin' tards that are ruining our natural beauty.

I hate four wheelers and the morons that find them amusing. Whatever happened to WALKING through the woods, like someone with some sense?! That way you have a chance at seeing some wildlife, actually LOOKING at a tree or a bird or a stream. Your way, you are just loud and obnoxious, frightening away all the wildlife, annoying the CRAP out of property owners who might like to enjoy the nature they sought by LIVING in the woods, but can't because of the engine noise, the yelling, and the typically drunken behavior of your so-called "nature-lovers".

Your kind is hopelessly backward. I guarantee you could not identify a maple, or elm, or beech, or various bird species, etc., because you are never QUIET enough to LEARN anything. I literally despise your type. You're making a beautiful state into one giant mudbog, for no other reason than that you have no imagination, no curiosity about nature and a very limited mind.
TheTruth

Huntington, WV

#22 Feb 6, 2012
As far as clothing style and trends, we have just about what every other city sells. We don't have the dolce, gucci, and very high end merchandise but everything under that we mostly have. Actually the baggy clothing is still in style, but I'm assuming your trips to other cities wasn't in the hood.

As far as the other things you mentioned you are right. Most authors, artists of any kind, athletes, or anybody else trying to make it big move to big cities. That's where the publicity and meeting the right people to help you in your career are.
BubbyAndSissy

Huntington, WV

#23 Feb 6, 2012
Well...ain't nobody got nothin' to say about that. lol
skb

United States

#24 Feb 6, 2012
Cast member wrote:
<quoted text>FINALLY SOMETHING POSITIVE, WE WILL NOT MAKE THIS STATE LOOK BAD. We are well rounded kids who came from wonderful familys & we are just like every typical kid, we may not be living in a mansion & have our daddys credit card to purchase whatever we want but we work for what we have around here & my opinion i'd MUCH rather live in a holler in a decent house, not worring about all the traffic in the city, having peace and quite it always nice too. Life is not always about the materalistc things in life. Im thankful for what I have and couldnt ask for anything more :)
Wow, for someone so smart and educated your retort was rife with spelling and grammar errors.
That's the point all these "negative people" are trying to get across to you.
You're going around saying you're so smart and look how you talk. You're going to show America EXACTLY what they thought- West Virginians are a bunch of dumb hillbillies. Great- thanks so much.
Dalton momeypenny

Canton, OH

#25 Feb 10, 2012
They need to grab kids from a well rounded area, not city slickers from huntington or morgantown.. Not hilljacks from webster or boone either.. Grab some kids from lewis county or upshur county, these are real west virginians
OneofthemSlicker s

Huntington, WV

#26 Feb 10, 2012
City slickers? CITY SLICKERS???? OMG have you ever BEEN to Huntington? It's like
a town made up of the characters in Tobacco Road, only they're actin' uppity 'cause they got electric lights. The only people that even THINK of Huntington as anything CLOSE to a city are just so stupid they aren't worth bothering with. I'm going to assume you were joking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is watching porn cheating? Of course it isn't 7 min Does not does too 1
texas shooting 33 min The Mountain Man 227
cheating men 36 min Captain Poontang 2
Ways that Hep-A can be contracted?? One is now ... 44 min Why 3
America Held Hostage Day 490 51 min MarkJ- 5
Jennifer Johnson (Mar '13) 57 min Not sure 27
Baltimore Street drugs (Feb '17) 1 hr Matt Miller 2,009
If you and your brother / sister were last two 5 hr Laughing 66
McDonalds Boycott 7 hr seriously 100

Huntington Jobs