What do yall think about union jobs n...

What do yall think about union jobs now and days?

Posted in the Huntington Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
K-C-R

Fraziers Bottom, WV

#1 Jul 18, 2013
well what do yall think?
fat man in the party van

United States

#2 Jul 18, 2013
Higher pay....better benefits....only people that don't like unions are people that can't get in em
K-C-R

Fraziers Bottom, WV

#3 Jul 18, 2013
you r right. i think that all bussiness that have a large employee base should think about bringing in the union or at least finding out what they would offer and the benifits they would offer.
Lycan

Huntington, IN

#4 Jul 18, 2013
Unions formed for labor employees protection in dangerous and harmful jobs in poor conditions.
Now Unions exist for unions. It`s a common misconception, but Unions are weak, so weak that they have to form more unions with smaller unions to appear bigger and stronger.
If you fall in line and pay, Unions are great. In the same way an ant views his colony or a bee views his hive.
For every "good" point, there`s a "bad" point. One is quality of work and production costs. You can get the same quality for a fraction of the cost. The concept that only a "member" can perform a function is laughable.
fat man in the party van

United States

#5 Jul 18, 2013
Lycan wrote:
Unions formed for labor employees protection in dangerous and harmful jobs in poor conditions.
Now Unions exist for unions. It`s a common misconception, but Unions are weak, so weak that they have to form more unions with smaller unions to appear bigger and stronger.
If you fall in line and pay, Unions are great. In the same way an ant views his colony or a bee views his hive.
For every "good" point, there`s a "bad" point. One is quality of work and production costs. You can get the same quality for a fraction of the cost. The concept that only a "member" can perform a function is laughable.
Exactly if your a worker it's good....if your management it's bad....if your middle class it's good...if your rich they are bad....
Lycan

Huntington, IN

#6 Jul 18, 2013
fat man in the party van wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly if your a worker it's good....if your management it's bad....if your middle class it's good...if your rich they are bad....
Very well put.
1 post removed
really

Wichita, KS

#8 Jul 18, 2013
<quoted text>
My husband quite frequently has to go in and fix what non-union contractors have messed up....
fat man in the party van

Huntington, WV

#9 Jul 18, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>My husband quite frequently has to go in and fix what non-union contractors have messed up....
I bet he does....
fat man in the party van

Huntington, WV

#10 Jul 18, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>My husband quite frequently has to go in and fix what non-union contractors have messed up....
I worked at marathon...non union killed two guys in one year....
Silent majority

Chesapeake, OH

#11 Jul 20, 2013
_-zaphod-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a fan if unions and think mostly they're beneficial,

Of course you do Cliff Claven, most selfish people do.
Silent majority

Chesapeake, OH

#12 Jul 20, 2013
K-C-R wrote:
well what do yall think?
Ask the people of detroit what they think....Unions ruined detroit...

example:

Last year detroit was discovered to still be paying for a “horseshoer”(or farrier) on the Detroit Water & Sewer Department (DWSD) union payroll. This individual costs some $56,000 in pay and benefits, despite the city not having any horses to shoe in his department.

Detroit went from 1.7 million people to 700,000 people..4 out 5 union workers are redundant and not needed.

The Detroit Federation of Teachers, which enjoys rich pay packages (corrected for purchasing power, Michigan teachers are the best paid in the nation, reported the Mackinac Center for Policy Policy), would do the UAW proud. Its employees pay only ten percent of the cost of their insurance premiums. While they take extravagant numbers of sick days or personal days — 8 per teacher — they also cash in on “unused sick days” to the tune of $14.5 million a year. What other industries are so surprised when you aren’t sick that they pay you a bonus? Then again, we’re talking about a group that paid people to quit —$4.1. million in “termination bonuses” were handed out to teachers’ union members in 2010-2011.

Gotta love those thieving democrats..always got their hand in the till.
really

Wichita, KS

#13 Jul 20, 2013
We all know what happened to Detroit...the same thing that happened to East St Louis. Not joking at all...ever been to either of those places? You need to travel a little more. It is not democrats or republicans... its the people that live there.
Army Chick

Huntington, WV

#14 Jul 20, 2013
I only hire non union work when I need projects done. The work is on par with union workers and I do not end up overpaying. Just makes good financial sense.

I only buy cars made by non union workers as well. I avoid overpaying and still get an awesome product for less money. Look at the any consumer report type information. The non union made vehicle simply outlast and outperform all the union made vehicles.
obvious

Chesapeake, OH

#15 Jul 20, 2013
I love how the union crashed twinkie and as soon as twinkie has new owners, the union makes the suggestion that they should use union labor. When asked why, the only answer they gave was, because the union produces a consistant product. Well, sure then, lets have the reason for the fall of the company give suggestions on how the new owners should run the business. And lets make sure the first thing they do is use the same union that ran it in the ground the last time around. Unions did good things back in the day. They helped with safety. Guys were working in very unsafe conditions and unions helped put a stop to that. They also helped with people working too many hours to be effective at their jobs (again - unsafe working conditions). This was waaaay back in the day prior to labor and wage laws. OSHA regulates the safety stuff now. There's much more regulation in the trades industry to keep the things from happening that happed back in the day. Unions just aren't needed now. They don't offer anything to anybody other than taking your money and donating it to democrats. The union stopped helping the worker many years ago. It started helping itself shortly thereafter.
Silent majority

Chesapeake, OH

#16 Jul 20, 2013
really wrote:
. Not joking at all...ever been to either of those places? You need to travel a little more.
With respect, yes. I used to live in detroit. Not sure what that has to do with union greed and wastefulness though.
fat man in the party van

Chesapeake, OH

#17 Jul 20, 2013
Army Chick wrote:
I only hire non union work when I need projects done. The work is on par with union workers and I do not end up overpaying. Just makes good financial sense.

I only buy cars made by non union workers as well. I avoid overpaying and still get an awesome product for less money. Look at the any consumer report type information. The non union made vehicle simply outlast and outperform all the union made vehicles.
Hell yea....send all the profits from your 30,000 car over seas
X Union

Chesapeake, VA

#18 Jul 20, 2013
K-C-R wrote:
well what do yall think?
Ask the people in Detroit what the think about union jobs who worked at the big three auto makers! Detroit just filed bank ruptsey yesterday. Another bailout. I did love the union, but now I have no use for the Union, just my opinion. Ford Motor the best F-150 builder in the US closed down laid off everyone due to the union payscale. Employes were standing doing nothing, while the Co was sufering. This happened here in Norfolk Va.
fat man in the party van

Chesapeake, OH

#19 Jul 20, 2013
X Union wrote:
<quoted text>Ask the people in Detroit what the think about union jobs who worked at the big three auto makers! Detroit just filed bank ruptsey yesterday. Another bailout. I did love the union, but now I have no use for the Union, just my opinion. Ford Motor the best F-150 builder in the US closed down laid off everyone due to the union payscale. Employes were standing doing nothing, while the Co was sufering. This happened here in Norfolk Va.
They are still making f150s....why didn't they get cheaper now that they don't have to pay the workers as much?
fat man in the party van

Chesapeake, OH

#20 Jul 20, 2013
Army Chick wrote:

Email me [email protected]
I'm interested in discussing this out side of topix
Army Chick

Huntington, WV

#21 Jul 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Hell yea....send all the profits from your 30,000 car over seas
You do realize that Honda, Kia, Toyota, etc. are made here in America don't you? The workers at these assembly plants have great pay and benefits and they are non union. How is this a bad thing? Not arguing, just getting your perspective.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 42 min huh 4,248
The drug problem is over! 1 hr Policeman 1
trish collom- has anybody seen her (Jul '14) 1 hr Curiously real68 11
Smoke POT in Huntington? 1 hr Policeman 2
Who pooped on the football field? 1 hr BallparkLeftFeild 2
Alligator Jackson 1 hr Truth 304
America Held Hostage Day 245 1 hr MarkJ- 4

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance