First Prev
of 7
Next Last
skully

Newburgh, IN

#1 Mar 7, 2011
Heard SM is laying off another 62 this fri. Anyone else heard about this?
isittrue

Fairfield, VA

#2 Mar 8, 2011
Makes sense!
That would save some money this quarter which is Henessees last, so he would get a final bonus while everybody else gets the shaft!
squeaky

Barboursville, WV

#3 Mar 8, 2011
skully wrote:
Heard SM is laying off another 62 this fri. Anyone else heard about this?
It'll be shutdown within a year. They're going to ring every last dollar out of thar place and then shut it completely down and split the operations between the Texas and China plants. I heard this from a reliable source.
nah.

Newell, PA

#4 Mar 8, 2011
They've been shutting this place down since I came to work there almost 8 years ago. I don't believe anyones reliable source at this place. More lies come outta there than metal. It's not shutting down anytime soon folks.
squeaky

United States

#5 Mar 8, 2011
[QUOTE who="nah. "]They've been shutting this place down since I came to work there almost 8 years ago. I don't believe anyones reliable source at this place. More lies come outta there than metal. It's not shutting down anytime soon folks.[/QUOTE]

The EPA asked SM last week to present a contingency plan for what they would do if the plant property was declared a "brownfield site". The writing's on the wall.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Huntington, WV

#6 Mar 9, 2011
if there really is going to be another round of layoff you will probably hear it on the news before you they let them know at the plant when the first round of people were laid off most of them knew about it when they came into work and saw that the job that they were bid on being run on overtime the next week. It seems like it would be a good business practice to give workers a little notice but that is not the case at Special Metals.
Yeah

United States

#7 Mar 9, 2011
The plant in Burnaugh Kentucky notified the union today that 23 people would be laid off on Monday.

Level 1

Huntington, WV

#8 Mar 9, 2011
Yeah wrote:
The plant in Burnaugh Kentucky notified the union today that 23 people would be laid off on Monday.
that seems like a bad sign there, when workers were laid off this time it said in the news that Special Metals were permanently laying off when in the past the new said that they were temporarily laying off employees, I found that to be strange. Also right before the layoff I saw this on Huntingtonnews.net

DEVELOPING: Special Metals Announcing Reduction in Force

Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 19:50
BY TONY RUTHERFORD HUNTINGTONNEWS.NET REPORTER
HUNTINGTON, WV (HNN)- Informed sources have confirmed to HNN that Special Metals will be reducing its staff by around 200 workers. The announcement was made Thursday morning to union members.

Special Metals , formerly INCO, had in previous years announced temporary layoffs; however, sources tell HNN that these are reductions in force.
stuck

United States

#9 Mar 10, 2011
This place is a sh*t hole of a place to work !! Tons of back stabbing and lying It's all about the graphs and charts. Then you have union guys screwing union guys it every man for himself .

Level 1

Huntington, WV

#10 Mar 14, 2011
was there a layoff at Burnaugh for monday
yeah

Fairfield, VA

#11 Mar 14, 2011
There were 16 production guys laid off.
Worked overtime all weekend.
source

United States

#12 Mar 14, 2011
Supposed to be another 75 laid off at the Huntington plant next week.
loc-40

United States

#13 Mar 14, 2011
I hear Huntington is laying off 250 next week.
source

United States

#14 Mar 14, 2011
loc-40 wrote:
I hear Huntington is laying off 250 next week.
Probably between 75 and 250. I look for the plant to close soon. This isn't good.
loc-40

United States

#15 Mar 15, 2011
I hear there is a big meeting Monday about ALL maintenance being outsource. There will be no more in house maintenance. What's this place coming to?
boss

United States

#16 Mar 15, 2011
We have all ready started, we are in our third phase of the maintenance re-structuring. There will be two more plant wide layoffs consisting of 172 hourly employees, each time we will incorporate a large portion of maintenance employees into production where they are needed. We are going to keep 15 maintenance employees for two quarters to help familiarize the new maintenance contractors when they arrive. These are hard times and with the savings we expect to make this may help to keep the doors open for a while longer.
wondering

United States

#17 Mar 15, 2011
172 is a lot of people...how many people work there?
source

United States

#18 Mar 15, 2011
wondering wrote:
172 is a lot of people...how many people work there?
A little over 600 now.
lol

United States

#19 Mar 15, 2011
If you're silly enough to believe anything you read on topix then you don't deserve a job anyway.
yeah

Waynesboro, VA

#20 Mar 15, 2011
lay off 172 times $40,000 average salary equals $6.8 million!!
Isn't that how much they wanted to save this quarter??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
for a black people 1 hr American slave 399
Marshall Does not need a Baseball Stadium 2 hr Paul 2
Wheres Markj the political hack? 3 hr Ibew 166
tlk group (May '14) 3 hr Employee 85
Los Mariachi's Restaurant (Jan '12) 4 hr What up 8
Friend of Micah (Mar '15) 4 hr 44 Magnum Opus 37
Blue Live Matter Govenor signs bill 4 hr Mark J 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Mortgages