Study suggests life on Earth came fro...

Study suggests life on Earth came from a Martian meteroite.

Posted in the Huntington Forum

Hello

Hurricane, WV

#1 Aug 31, 2013
1 post removed

“The Night He Came Home”

Level 2

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3 Aug 31, 2013
Well, the Bible tells us that the Earth is 4000 years old. People accept that as an irrefutable fact when we know that isn't true. The "martian" article is an interesting theory. I read that a couple of days ago, and it is entirely plausible. Here's a site you guys might like to look into. It does contain theories, which is part of the scientific method and is important. It also contains absolutes and scientific evidence, and empirical evidence is all that matters at the end of the day.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/
Hello

Hurricane, WV

#4 Aug 31, 2013
_-zaphod-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wishful thinking from the need community. Interesting theory about the meteorite but no evidence to back it up or really anything that points to mars as the origin of said meteorite other than it would be pretty cool.
It is a solid argument. Earth wasn't suitable for the development of RNA when life began here, but Mars was.

The study hasn't been published yet. It was recently presented at a scientific conference.

Relevant stuff:

Building Block for Life Found in Mars meteorite:

http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-met...

BBC:

Here in Florence, Prof Benner presented results that suggest minerals containing the elements boron and molybdenum are key in assembling atoms into life-forming molecules.

The researcher points out that boron minerals help carbohydrate rings to form from pre-biotic chemicals, and then molybdenum takes that intermediate molecule and rearranges it to form ribose, and hence RNA.

This raises problems for how life began on Earth, since the early Earth is thought to have been unsuitable for the formation of the necessary boron and molybdenum minerals.

It is thought that the boron minerals needed to form RNA from pre-biotic soups were not available on early Earth in sufficient quantity, and the molybdenum minerals were not available in the correct chemical form.
Shergottite meteorite from Mars Meteorites from Mars have been arriving on Earth throughout our planet's history

Prof Benner explained: "Itís only when molybdenum becomes highly oxidised that it is able to influence how early life formed.

"This form of molybdenum couldnít have been available on Earth at the time life first began, because three billion years ago, the surface of the Earth had very little oxygen, but Mars did.

"Itís yet another piece of evidence which makes it more likely life came to Earth on a Martian meteorite, rather than starting on this planet."

Early Mars is also thought to have had a drier environment, and this is also crucial to its favourable location for life's origins.

"Whatís quite clear is that boron, as an element, is quite scarce in Earthís crust," Prof Benner told BBC News,ďbut Mars has been drier than Earth and more oxidising, so if Earth is not suitable for the chemistry, Mars might be.

"The evidence seems to be building that we are actually all Martians; that life started on Mars and came to Earth on a rock," he commented

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment...
Hello

Hurricane, WV

#5 Aug 31, 2013
_-zaphod-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wishful thinking from the need community. Interesting theory about the meteorite but no evidence to back it up or really anything that points to mars as the origin of said meteorite other than it would be pretty cool.
The study was about boron being essential to forming RNA.

This is a hypothesis, but the argument convinced me.

Mars is the only plausible origin of the meteorite we're aware of.

Boron was discovered in a Martian metorite:

http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-met...
1 post removed
Derper

Huntington, WV

#7 Aug 31, 2013
I heard about that on the radio the other night. It boggles the mind.

This is going to sound crazy, but I think it's interesting nonetheless...one of the people in the interview put forth the idea that humanity is building up to some sort of "big reveal", that the "powers that be" are preparing us gently, easing us into an idea. He said that it will soon be revealed that human beings are actually from Mars. He sounded very intelligent, and I was fascinated.
Gus Floodgate

Chesapeake, VA

#8 Aug 31, 2013
StupidProof wrote:
Well, the Bible tells us that the Earth is 4000 years old. People accept that as an irrefutable fact when we know that isn't true. The "martian" article is an interesting theory. I read that a couple of days ago, and it is entirely plausible. Here's a site you guys might like to look into. It does contain theories, which is part of the scientific method and is important. It also contains absolutes and scientific evidence, and empirical evidence is all that matters at the end of the day.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/
Where in the Bible does it tell us that the Earth is 4000 year old? Please give us scripture and verse! I usually don't like to say people are full of siht, but this time I will make an exception and say you are full of siht and that you don't know what you are talking about. Always know your facts before you put them on paper or in this case, on topix. Because, you do know topix is a place of truth and scientific facts!
1 post removed
heard

Charleston, WV

#10 Aug 31, 2013
And before that Mars life came from Uranus , I suppose.

“The Night He Came Home”

Level 2

Location hidden

#11 Aug 31, 2013
Gus Floodgate wrote:
<quoted text>Where in the Bible does it tell us that the Earth is 4000 year old? Please give us scripture and verse! I usually don't like to say people are full of siht, but this time I will make an exception and say you are full of siht and that you don't know what you are talking about. Always know your facts before you put them on paper or in this case, on topix. Because, you do know topix is a place of truth and scientific facts!
It's not so much a verse, because there isn't one, as much as there are people who believe in the fundamental creationist theory. There are a group of Christian "scientists" who are literally known as the "Young Creationists", if you look them up. I'm not being rude but you really should. I forget the exact percentage of fundamental Christians who believe in this theory but I think it's hovering somewhere in the 40% range. That may not seem like a lot, but it is WAY too many people who believe that. I do have to correct myself though for saying that it is in the Bible. It is and it isn't. There is no actual verse for it but it's based on the literal...(I hate that approach to interpreting any sort of parable or work of fiction for that matter)...chronology of the each chapter in The Bible.
starme

Richmond, VA

#12 Sep 1, 2013
wow.
Entertainment lawyer

Arcadia, CA

#13 Sep 2, 2013
Gus Floodgate wrote:
<quoted text>Where in the Bible does it tell us that the Earth is 4000 year old? Please give us scripture and verse! I usually don't like to say people are full of siht, but this time I will make an exception and say you are full of siht and that you don't know what you are talking about. Always know your facts before you put them on paper or in this case, on topix. Because, you do know topix is a place of truth and scientific facts!
If you go to a major library or online resource, reference the work of Archbishop Ussher, an Anlican prelate in Ireland. He clearly had a powerful intellect, so if you accept the premise that the Bible is an historical annual, you can attempt to use it to determine the chronology of planet Earth.

I'd say if the man were around today, he'd have a much different opinion. His work nonetheless is interesting. By the way, I think he concluded that the Earth came ino existence around 4000 BC. If I recall correctly, he estimates a date: year, month and day.

Finally, while the calculation is elegant given the data available at the time, there is a self-consistency issue. There's no clear statement in the Bible that states (i) what constitutes the Bible, and (ii) that it should be accepted literally.
Derper

Huntington, WV

#14 Sep 2, 2013
^^^At last! A voice of reason in the wilderness!^^^

“The Night He Came Home”

Level 2

Location hidden

#15 Sep 2, 2013
Derper wrote:
^^^At last! A voice of reason in the wilderness!^^^
I pretty much said the same thing. Just sayin
Derper

Huntington, WV

#16 Sep 2, 2013
Yes, you did, and I should have made the same remark to you! My bad.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Body found by Gino's 54 min Observer 89
Do you like being fat or obese please be real (May '13) 2 hr Rebel Angel 40
ladies who scam people w Nerium. 2 hr Educated 5
Marcia Lucas (Apr '12) 2 hr Youreevil 24
38yr messing wit 20yr old 3 hr Lol 10
WV Atty General - CHH SMMC takeover 3 hr -zaphod- 50
2 forensic patients escape from Bateman... 4 hr anonymous 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Mortgages