Huntington HS Wrestling
Wrestling Mom

Hansford, WV

#65 Feb 1, 2013
The fact that this thread was started by a Midland mom being disrespectful to kids from another wrestling program does not surprise me, and it's exactly why I've never been able to stand Midland's wrestling program. They're such a bunch of whiny, unsportsmanlike, arrogant wrestlers who have two favorite moves...blood time and stalling.
scot

Charlotte, NC

#66 Feb 2, 2013
It didnt used to be like that. When Coach Sparks was there it was one of the top notch programs in the state. The only person allowed to get a team point taken away for unsportsmanlike conduct was him. Lord help you on Monday if somebody lost a team point on Saturday. The Midland Wrestling program went down hill after he left. Hopefully the new coach can turn it around.
1 post removed
pony express

Chesapeake, OH

#68 Feb 26, 2013
Midland Mom wrote:
I am a new mom to the sport but have a dumb question:
Why does everyone think Huntington wrestling is so good? Sure they have a few champions in the past, but, for instance, they won the WSAZ tourney by a landslide. HOWEVER, that also had twice as many wrestlers than other teams entered, all contributing to the team score.
Overrated.
Midland mom you were right they were overrated, Overrated straight to Wv AAA State Champions. GO HIGHLANDERS!!!!!!!!
Jim Joe Bob

Chesapeake, OH

#69 Feb 26, 2013
pony express wrote:
<quoted text>Midland mom you were right they were overrated, Overrated straight to Wv AAA State Champions. GO HIGHLANDERS!!!!!!!!
Yes they FINALLY won a title! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Let's see if they can repeat 3 more times... Like South has done twice.

And I will say it again... The drought continues without the kids from Milton.
Brandon Roberts

Chesapeake, OH

#70 Feb 26, 2013
I'm kind of biased here, because I come from HHS. All I'm gonna say is, those transfers helped get our state title but they came willingly for one reason and one reason only, to be a winner. That's what coach archer makes, is winners. They all work their asses off, they bust theirs to kick yours.
Jim

Chesapeake, OH

#71 Feb 26, 2013
Brandon Roberts wrote:
I'm kind of biased here, because I come from HHS. All I'm gonna say is, those transfers helped get our state title but they came willingly for one reason and one reason only, to be a winner. That's what coach archer makes, is winners. They all work their asses off, they bust theirs to kick yours.
If Coach Archer , as say "makes winners"... Then why did it take him 7 years to win a title. This title is more about the kids who bypassed CMHS and Ripley and has very little to do with Archer.
At South we do it with our own kids and by " do it " I mean 18 team titles compared to Huntington's 1. 4 in a row twice!

Case closed.
Wrestling dad

Huntington, WV

#72 Feb 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
If Coach Archer , as say "makes winners"... Then why did it take him 7 years to win a title. This title is more about the kids who bypassed CMHS and Ripley and has very little to do with Archer.
At South we do it with our own kids and by " do it " I mean 18 team titles compared to Huntington's 1. 4 in a row twice!
Case closed.
Seriously? Have you ever actually participated in an athletic (or even music) program? It takes a number of years for a coach or director to mold a program. It does not happen overnight. I have no "in" with the Archer family or HHS administration other than that my kids go to HHS and Archer coaches my son. The man works his tail off and does an outstanding job. I am glad my son has had the opportunity to work with him. The team's success has everything to do with coach Archer and the other dedicated coaches who work with those boys.

South lost. Period.
Pyramid

United States

#73 Feb 26, 2013
The peewee program in Huntington is just now starting to see the kids reach the HS level. The program was almost nonexistent until the last 5-6 years. With Steve Reiner heading it up, the HS level will finally start to see the rewards of kids who've been wrestling since elementary. The Ponies program is one of the top in the state and Coach Archer will finally have kids who already have the basics down. He's been turning 1st and 2nd year wrestlers into state tourney placers for the last seven years. Can't wait to see what he can do with the kids who've been on the mat since kindergarten. Gonna be a fun ride!
Jim

Chesapeake, OH

#74 Feb 26, 2013
Wrestling dad wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? Have you ever actually participated in an athletic (or even music) program? It takes a number of years for a coach or director to mold a program. It does not happen overnight. I have no "in" with the Archer family or HHS administration other than that my kids go to HHS and Archer coaches my son. The man works his tail off and does an outstanding job. I am glad my son has had the opportunity to work with him. The team's success has everything to do with coach Archer and the other dedicated coaches who work with those boys.
South lost. Period.
Bottom line is he had to have kids transfer from other schools to get it done. I am not saying he isn't a good coach... But simply saying that the title this year is a direct result of kids that came from Milton.

South: 18 x state champion!
john

Summerville, SC

#75 Feb 27, 2013
It doesnt matter if the kids decided to go to HHS. 1 they did not transfer as they never went to another high school. 2 how is Coach Dixon working out for you? Kind of hard to coach from the stands is it not? South will be lucky to place in the top 3 next year.
pony express

Chesapeake, OH

#76 Feb 28, 2013
john wrote:
It doesnt matter if the kids decided to go to HHS. 1 they did not transfer as they never went to another high school. 2 how is Coach Dixon working out for you? Kind of hard to coach from the stands is it not? South will be lucky to place in the top 3 next year.
exactly I have never ever seen a coach be standing in line at the concession stand while their team was wrestling but I sure did with her haha.
Jim

Chesapeake, OH

#77 Feb 28, 2013
Lets review:

South : 18 state titles since its construction in late 60s.

Huntington:1 and that's with the benefit of consolidation.
Bill Archer: 0 titles after coaching for years and years and .... Years.

Case: closed.
Hmmmm

Ashburn, VA

#78 Feb 28, 2013
Just wanted to say that Coach Archer does make winners. Took my son from barely winning to a a State placer in just a few years. Makes them Gentlemen and Scholars. 95% of the team take honors classes and are on the honor roll. And give back to the wrestling community by being ourstanding citizens.
Wrestling Dad

Huntington, WV

#79 Feb 28, 2013
Hmmmm wrote:
Just wanted to say that Coach Archer does make winners. Took my son from barely winning to a a State placer in just a few years. Makes them Gentlemen and Scholars. 95% of the team take honors classes and are on the honor roll. And give back to the wrestling community by being ourstanding citizens.
My son is also on the team and I couldn't agree more.
Jim

Chesapeake, OH

#80 Feb 28, 2013
Hmmmm wrote:
Hmmm.. I guess Riggs, Westmoreland, Simpkins fit that "gentleman and scholar" category.???
Idk

Huntington, WV

#81 Feb 28, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm.. I guess Riggs, Westmoreland, Simpkins fit that "gentleman and scholar" category.???
There is something seriously wrong inside your head.(Or maybe you are just a teenager posing as an actual adult). Why are you so hellbent on trash talking these young men? I don't know anything about any issues involving Riggs or Westmoreland, but I was around for the issue with Simpkins. The matter was unfortunate. Coach Archer took decisive action. Despite whatever missteps a few of these young men may have made (I'm sure you were a young Jesus during your formative years) Coach Archer exhibits and demands nothing less than gentlemanly and scholarly conduct. You cannot blame him for the mistakes of a few young men.
1 post removed
wrestling dad2

Fort Worth, TX

#83 Feb 28, 2013
i can`t beleive you people are going to get and start bad mouthing him like this, he did something that no other southen west virginia has done. He won the state championship and since the boys chose to come to HHS he didn`t ask this kids to come here they came because they wanted to have the best coach in the area and a chance at getting to the next level and attend college and make something of themself.
Hmmmm

Ashburn, VA

#84 Mar 1, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you didn't see that I stated 95% of the kids. Read much?

Since: Aug 12

Saint Albans, WV

#85 Mar 1, 2013
I would just like to say my kids went to midland my son also wrestled for 4 years there and i would like to congratulate huntington high wrestlers for this great accomplishment. Winning a state title is an awesome thing for them young men and could helo set them up for greatness in there future, it takes a lot of disipline blood sweat and tears to get to the states so please people dont try to take away this glorious moment becuause of jealousy. Just saying.
Wrestling dad2

Huntington, WV

#86 Mar 2, 2013
Thanks bold guy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boycotting NFL 7 min Liberal detachment 204
Fire Chief 11 min PutUrMoney 7
Nicely Towing Steals Vehicles 1 hr i feel your pain 14
Marcum Terrace Animals 1 hr Nubert 9
Which is more of a disgrace to mankind? Gays or... (Sep '14) 1 hr Tootuu 57
The REAL snowflakes 1 hr trueconservative 1
America Held Hostage Day 249 1 hr MarkJ- 4
womans torso found in river 14 hr MarkJ- 38

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web