Huntington Catacombs
Rosewill

Huntington, WV

#1 Feb 14, 2012
Does anybody have any new information about accessing the catacombs? I've been hearing rumors that the catacombs in Huntington date back to an ancient underground city that was built to house the lesser people of society and then modern Huntington was built upon that underground city. Also there was a guy on here who I had e-mailed a while back that said he went underground and snapped some pics, he sent me a couple of the pictures. It looks legit to me but can anyone else confirm its authenticity? I dont have the pics anymore I lost them.
SomeGuy

Chesapeake, OH

#2 Feb 14, 2012
I'm interested in this as well. I've too heard all of the stores but I've never seen any photos, nor heard of any entrance locations. Do you still have the photos?

Level 4

Since: Nov 11

Parkersburg, WV

#3 Feb 14, 2012
Its all BS
me too

Catlettsburg, KY

#4 Feb 14, 2012
Rosewill wrote:
Does anybody have any new information about accessing the catacombs? I've been hearing rumors that the catacombs in Huntington date back to an ancient underground city that was built to house the lesser people of society and then modern Huntington was built upon that underground city. Also there was a guy on here who I had e-mailed a while back that said he went underground and snapped some pics, he sent me a couple of the pictures. It looks legit to me but can anyone else confirm its authenticity? I dont have the pics anymore I lost them.
There are tunnels under the Keith Albee. If u could get in, u could go to the mens restroom and at the bottom of the first set of steps there are double doors. On the other side of those doors put u in the tunnels. I have no idea how far or where they lead but I have been in them and they are there.
ItisnotBS

Independence, KY

#5 Feb 14, 2012
Having done extensive site-planning for the 9th St plaza redevelopment six years ago, I can tell you firsthand that there are a number of rooms and tunnels that connect to different parts of the city. While most of the catacombs have collapsed as a result of neglect, the Hotel Farr grand ballroom still exists under the 9th st plaza in front of the Morris building (this is no longer accessible as the entry points have long since flooded.) What I did see while checking the load bearing beams in the old ballroom was nothing short of incredible..

Picture a room abandoned for nearly 80 years.. still fully furnished (old bottles of wine and whiskey adorned a beautiful wooden bar in the corner of the ballroom.)

Plates were still set out on the tables as well.. The architectural details were amazing as well.. gilded copper pillars.. marble floors..

Sadly.. the walls were covered in a thick black soot...(Fire damage I think...)
SoFreaky

Huntington, WV

#6 Feb 14, 2012
ItisnotBS wrote:
Having done extensive site-planning for the 9th St plaza redevelopment six years ago, I can tell you firsthand that there are a number of rooms and tunnels that connect to different parts of the city. While most of the catacombs have collapsed as a result of neglect, the Hotel Farr grand ballroom still exists under the 9th st plaza in front of the Morris building (this is no longer accessible as the entry points have long since flooded.) What I did see while checking the load bearing beams in the old ballroom was nothing short of incredible..
Picture a room abandoned for nearly 80 years.. still fully furnished (old bottles of wine and whiskey adorned a beautiful wooden bar in the corner of the ballroom.)
Plates were still set out on the tables as well.. The architectural details were amazing as well.. gilded copper pillars.. marble floors..
Sadly.. the walls were covered in a thick black soot...(Fire damage I think...)
That's pretty freaky. I do believe there are tunnels under the Keith, because I had a boss that claimed to have used them, and he was a very practical, no nonsense guy. As to your post, I believe you about the ballroom, but not sure if I buy that that it hadn't been stripped of valuable metals and antique plates and such. Souvenir hunters. I DO believe it's there, though. Wish someone would take photos or film.
Keith Albee

Huntington, WV

#7 Feb 14, 2012
I used to work at the Keith. Behind the bathroom doors are dressing rooms. The passage way goes arounf to the ladies rest room. Some of the rooms are still used, the rest are in poor shape. There are no other secret entances to other tunnels. I have seen every inch of it.
Highwayman

Huntington, WV

#8 Feb 14, 2012
Hey you stupid young idiots, there are no friggin underground catacombs in Huntington you morons! It used to be the Arcade where they had a sandwich counter or bar whatever you wanna call it and some pin ball machines and a small bowling alley and that is it PERIOD. It was in a doorway that led down a big hallway that had little shops in it and its probably still there. Go to where the old peanut shop is and go through the doors and as soon as you go through the doors on 4th. ave. take a immediate left down the stairs and you will be in your "catacombs" AKA the friggin Arcade.
Highwayman

Huntington, WV

#9 Feb 14, 2012
And the 'secret tunnels' behind the theater are called catwalks for the prop people that were used whan they had shows there on the stage to carry and move stage props from one part of the stage to the other. You youngsters need to stop playing all of the video games you play or something, its all wrotting your tiny little minds. lol.
Justme

Huntington, WV

#10 Feb 14, 2012
No there are secret catacomes in Htown down there. Just like on 9-11 it was all a sham and down there was where they kept the so-called Marshall plane crash victims. You really didnt believe there was a real crash did you?
T

New York, NY

#11 Feb 14, 2012
Highwayman wrote:
Hey you stupid young idiots, there are no friggin underground catacombs in Huntington you morons! It used to be the Arcade where they had a sandwich counter or bar whatever you wanna call it and some pin ball machines and a small bowling alley and that is it PERIOD. It was in a doorway that led down a big hallway that had little shops in it and its probably still there. Go to where the old peanut shop is and go through the doors and as soon as you go through the doors on 4th. ave. take a immediate left down the stairs and you will be in your "catacombs" AKA the friggin Arcade.
Why would you get on here and call people names when their just trying to get answers or have a conversation?
can u th handle truth

Danville, WV

#12 Feb 14, 2012
You guys need to catch up on the history of huntington wv. there is a tunnel that goes under 4th avenue to whatever the name of the hotel used to be. this tunnel was for the people performing at the keith albee. the keith albee was second to none when it was first completed. i can't recall the name of the theater in new york city that it was associated with. people would travel great distances to come to huntington to see whoever or whatever was performing. keep in mind at the time the railroad was at its peak and the only reason huntington even exists is because of the railroad. during this time roads were real bad and travelling by rail was the "in thing to do." it is sad to think that the sign to the keith albee was close to being scrap. i am glad that there has been a movement to restore this important piece of our towns history. i certainly don't have the imagination to make up a story like this.
can u th handle truth

Danville, WV

#13 Feb 14, 2012
Highwayman wrote:
And the 'secret tunnels' behind the theater are called catwalks for the prop people that were used whan they had shows there on the stage to carry and move stage props from one part of the stage to the other. You youngsters need to stop playing all of the video games you play or something, its all wrotting your tiny little minds. lol.
sorry highwayman i responded without reading all of the posts. these poor uninformed souls just didn't know.

Level 4

Since: Jan 12

Findlay, OH

#14 Feb 14, 2012
Silent majority

United States

#15 Feb 14, 2012
Rosewill wrote:
Lol.. Catacombs? U mean the service tunnel that leads to the dumpster in the alley?...lol, no "ancient city" to be discovered here...
Highwayman

Huntington, WV

#16 Feb 14, 2012
Well "T" perhaps its just the five millionth time this week for this crap thats all. But heck w/it If someone wants to call passways or cat-walks or rear private entrances, service tunnels or whatever "ancient catacombs" who am I to say anything about it? But I dont think I will be holding my breath waiting for the History Chanell to do a special on them anytime soon. But I think someone has it mixed-up with underground Atlanta or something. I give up, have fun in our secret catacombs, but be carefull I hear there is 13 ghosts roaming the place in Marshall football jerseys down there. One of them I hear is called "the headless hiker" and if you go down there and hear this weird voice saying " hutt one hutt two hutt three" you had better run like the wind! He wants to bend-over and grab a ball!
for real

Huntington, WV

#17 Feb 14, 2012
I heard that there are underground cities under Huntington. There are torches already burning there, as in underground ruins there are always torches already burning. If you can find a secret magical ring, I believe it is at the art museum, it usually is for these types of things. Then you have to take it to the tunnels below the Keith Albee, after you solve a series of block puzzles, you will have to face a "boss". Once you defeat the boss you put the ring in a door and it will open. You will have access to the ancient forgotten city of Huntingtonia. I know a guy who went and said there were skeletons clutching pill bottles, all covered in cobwebs.
Highwayman

Huntington, WV

#18 Feb 15, 2012
Pill bottles! lol. And straws! lol! man thats a good one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Now we lose freedom of speech in college. 4 min FTW 6
The Black Anthem 10 min FTW 1
Looks like Kim is headed to jail. 25 min -zaphod- 32
Judge Keller 27 min Ermo 1
Rusty Eads 29 min BigDaddy 13
2 more cops shot in cold blood 34 min Stephen Lawrence 4
anyone know 1 hr Josh 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Huntington Mortgages