Who's leaving Who's staying ? At WSAZ
gary

Minford, OH

#41 Jan 25, 2014
i dont think rob and john marra get along?
Mr Tibbs

Summersville, WV

#42 Jan 30, 2014
gary wrote:
i dont think rob and john marra get along?
Probably because Rob is a douche bag.
Scoop

Summersville, WV

#43 Jan 30, 2014
Why is it that Hattie Cheek gets an anchor position ahead of others who have been there longer? And her voice intonation is horrible, and whiny!. And what is up with the technicians at wsaz? I have watched Channel 3 all my life and there have always been problems with audio, problems with video (showing the wrong footage), problems with the teleprompter, and last but not least, grammar. Ending a sentence with the word "though" is not proper grammar. And it happens repeatedly, especially when Rob is anchoring. These are questions I have been curious about...
News Hound

Charleston, WV

#44 Jan 30, 2014
Read her bio. Hattie came from a Gray owned station that was closed down, and she was already an anchor so she transferred from the huge Hagerstown market.
I have noticed a nasal quality to several of the new female reporters' voices. It is distracting and bothersome to me.
I believe Rob is the most senior news person there now.
Do they have any Marshall journalism graduates at all there now? Why not, or why so few? MU J-school used to be well thought of and provided a number of national news broadcasters like Joe Johns and Sean Calebs. All the young ones remind me of Marshall interns from years ago, just learning how to be on TV
Floyd

Hurricane, WV

#45 Jan 30, 2014
Hattie may have been under contract at the other Grey station. To avoid having to pay her for doing nothing, they may have offered he a transfer.
1 post removed
Radio guy

Summersville, WV

#47 Jan 31, 2014
WSAZ is about to undergo some unforeseen radical changes. Can't say what I've heard other than just sit back and be amazed at what happens.
Wondering

Huntington, WV

#48 Jan 31, 2014
Scoop wrote:
Why is it that Hattie Cheek gets an anchor position ahead of others who have been there longer? And her voice intonation is horrible, and whiny!. And what is up with the technicians at wsaz? I have watched Channel 3 all my life and there have always been problems with audio, problems with video (showing the wrong footage), problems with the teleprompter, and last but not least, grammar. Ending a sentence with the word "though" is not proper grammar. And it happens repeatedly, especially when Rob is anchoring. These are questions I have been curious about...
How can we as viewers from home tell if there are problems with the teleprompter? Do you work at the station and see these problems firsthand? A reporter stumbling through their script could just be an indication of their reading level. not a technical problem.
EnlightenedRedne ck

Louisa, VA

#49 Jan 31, 2014
Who cares? They're all a bunch of New Yorkers. You not find it strange that not one person on any of these news medias have a WV accent?
News Hound

Charleston, WV

#50 Jan 31, 2014
Rebekka Pewitt has a Tennessee accent. She went to MTSU.
gary

Minford, OH

#51 Feb 1, 2014
EnlightenedRedneck wrote:
Who cares? They're all a bunch of New Yorkers. You not find it strange that not one person on any of these news medias have a WV accent?
just because your from WV. dosent mean your going to have a hillbilly accent. if thats what you mean? josh is from gallipolis. does he have a southern ohio draw?
Edgar

Hurricane, WV

#52 Feb 1, 2014
It's called drawl.

Reporters have been trained for decades to have a neutral accent (Iowa). That way they can go anywhere or to network.
I really would prefer female anchors to have antebellum South Carolina accent. It is not to be.
Maury

Hurricane, WV

#53 Feb 1, 2014
Radio guy wrote:
WSAZ is about to undergo some unforeseen radical changes. Can't say what I've heard other than just sit back and be amazed at what happens.
Go ahead, tell us.
You are dying to tell us anyway.
Scoop

Charleston, WV

#54 Feb 1, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
How can we as viewers from home tell if there are problems with the teleprompter? Do you work at the station and see these problems firsthand? A reporter stumbling through their script could just be an indication of their reading level. not a technical problem.
All I know is there seems to be some technical problems that have existed for a very long time. Reporters on location staring quietly into the camera and not getting a cue to talk. And once they are done talking, the anchor being unaware, causing dead air. The wrong film footage being shown for news reports. Audio problems, news and weather people talking without their audio. These don't happen every day, but they do occur more frequently on Channel 3 than I have seen on any other station's news reports. Apparently it is a producer or director dropping the ball, and doing it repeatedly. I am pushing 60 yrs old and have watched wsaz almost my entire life, and these problems have existed for at least the past 20 or 30 yrs. I just wanted to know if anybody had any answers out there? Thats all.
Maury

Hurricane, WV

#55 Feb 1, 2014
WSAZ has not shown a film in 20 years.
I don't think they have any film or videotape machines left.
Everything is done on hard drives and moving to memory cards, If they are not there already.

The problems between the remote reporters and the anchors is due to the delay of the digital equipment.

No audio and stuff like that may be a function of the new master control setup. One operator doing the work of what used to take 6 or more people.

Time marches on.
gary

Minford, OH

#56 Feb 2, 2014
draw, drawl. what ever? lol
SallyJesse

Summersville, WV

#57 Feb 2, 2014
"Maury" WSAZ has not shown a film in 20 years.
I don't think they have any film or videotape machines left.
Everything is done on hard drives and moving to memory cards

Well duh! Why 'nit pick'? The gist of this was the footage, regardless of what was used to obtain it. Didn't you read that the man (or woman) was almost 60?? Maybe he/she wasn't aware of technological advances. Don't be so quick to point out others' shortcomings.
gary

Minford, OH

#58 Feb 2, 2014
looking forwrd to the home and garden show.
Maury

Hurricane, WV

#59 Feb 2, 2014
Actually, The point was, that new technologies exist and the old ones are discarded.

I am much older that the guy who posted.

You may go back to reading the newspaper, after you have stoked the coal stove and booiled some water for tea.
Casually Serious Watcher

Huntington, WV

#60 Feb 2, 2014
WSAZ has made some bad hires lately, but Hattie Cheek isn't one of them. For a reporter who has only had one other paying job, at a low rent cable channel in the Shenandoah Valley at that, she is the real deal.

This girl obviously enjoys her work and is good at it. She is comfortable, great at ad libs and makes things happen on the air.

Watch her closely, she won't be here long - her future is bright.
1 post removed
Reality bites

Summersville, WV

#62 Feb 4, 2014
Is it just me or do most people that put down television newscasters themselves have a perfect face for radio?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stephanie Stover 3 min Curious 1
Rocky Meadows 6 min .. 10
Israel knows how to deal with rioters 14 min scirocco 368
lets play one word (Aug '11) 18 min 40ish 2,315
gop primary 19 min Derr 17
christopher shy (May '13) 20 min Harold Frankel 24
curious lonely wife 36 min -zaphod- 66
Mayor Steve Williams falls apart on Radio Show 47 min MarkJ- 40
More from around the web

Huntington People Search