Who's leaving Who's staying ? At WSAZ

Posted in the Huntington Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Barboursville Resident

Salyersville, KY

#1 Sep 4, 2013
Is rob johnson leaving or being promoted and which of the meterologist is leaving wsaz.Who is leaving on the weekends.

Level 4

Since: Dec 12

Front Royal, VA

#2 Sep 4, 2013
who cares? 35% of the news is the weather, 5% is local high school and MU sports, the rest is meth lab/drug busts, traffic accidents, and shootings.
Blah blah blah

Chesapeake, OH

#3 Sep 4, 2013
Now the rest of the thread will be filled with comments by stalkers and crazies spreading lies and gossip about the news people. Pathetic.
News Hound

Milton, WV

#4 Sep 9, 2013
Don't think Rob Johnson is going anywhere, he has a good job, great salary, and likes what he has here.

As for the weather dudes, it is amazing Brandon and Josh have put up with Tony Cavalier as long as they have. He usually runs people out after about 2 or 3 years. Would be funny if they both walked and left 'Ole Tony as a solo act.

Now, for the rest of the on-camera staff not sure about more departures but with Jessica's impending departure look for lots of changes. They will need to fill her slot on MyZ and the 6pm/11pm newscasts. There is new talent in the bullpen getting ready to come on-camera in the next few weeks so you will be seeing folks like Cathleen Moxley more.

All of this thanks to the departure of Don Ray. He is retiring to run his own station out west.

As for content of broadcasts, look for that to change and improve in the coming months.
LULZ

United States

#5 Sep 10, 2013
Im surprised Brandon is still here. If im not getting them mixed up. Josh is the gay looking guy right? But Brandon seems to be real comfortable in front of the camera. Im sure big city stations are going to snatch him up. He seems way more professional than the rest of them. I wish we could keep these talented people. I miss the attractive girl who left a while back. Kind of a thick girl with dark hair. I think she went to Minnesota or somewhere. Very talented!
Fred

Chesapeake, OH

#6 Sep 10, 2013
News Hound wrote:
Don't think Rob Johnson is going anywhere, he has a good job, great salary, and likes what he has here.
As for the weather dudes, it is amazing Brandon and Josh have put up with Tony Cavalier as long as they have. He usually runs people out after about 2 or 3 years. Would be funny if they both walked and left 'Ole Tony as a solo act.
Now, for the rest of the on-camera staff not sure about more departures but with Jessica's impending departure look for lots of changes. They will need to fill her slot on MyZ and the 6pm/11pm newscasts. There is new talent in the bullpen getting ready to come on-camera in the next few weeks so you will be seeing folks like Cathleen Moxley more.
All of this thanks to the departure of Don Ray. He is retiring to run his own station out west.
As for content of broadcasts, look for that to change and improve in the coming months.
False. None of this is because Don Ray retired. The people who quit did so because they got other jobs making more money. Nothing controversial at all, so please stop lying.
News Hound

Milton, WV

#7 Sep 10, 2013
Fred wrote:
<quoted text>
False. None of this is because Don Ray retired. The people who quit did so because they got other jobs making more money. Nothing controversial at all, so please stop lying.
Not blaming Don Ray, just saying that since he is leaving things are changing. Hate to see him leave, during his tenure Channel 3 has consistently been #1 or #2 in the market. When he announced his intentions, resumes' began to fly. And yes, Huntington/Charleston is a good stepping stone to bigger markets and paychecks...partly why I'm surprised it took Jessica this long to leave.

Amanda is the most likely successor to Jessica's 5:30/6/11 seat but heard the 5pm and 10pm seats may be rotated for awhile to audition folks for the best "fit."

Figure the next "big" departure will be Bill Murray. He is looking, though not actively.

Tony is probably going to die on-air, that is the only way he will leave. He almost got canned a few times in the 90's but somehow survived. Now he has too much time (and one or two other factors) going in his favor. Funny thing is, he really doesn't have audience respect and he pi$ses-off his co-workers. The last several departures from the weather department were because of him. Even Marina's departure was hastened because of Tony's attitude. He's just pis$ed-off that he couldn't get hired by the Weather Channel and even more now that NBC owns TWC. Hes got an entitlement and superiority complex.
Sam Adams

Saint Albans, WV

#8 Sep 10, 2013
News Hound, WSAZ is #1, always has been and always will be. It has never been #2.
News Hound

Milton, WV

#9 Sep 10, 2013
Sam Adams wrote:
News Hound, WSAZ is #1, always has been and always will be. It has never been #2.
Nope, a couple of rating periods in the 1990's they briefly slipped to #2, very close behind Channel 13. It wasn't much more than 2 or 3 Arbitron cycles, and as I recall they weren't consecutive either. Channel 8 (and 11 now) rarely showed well and now that 8/11/13 are all "Charleston" based, doubt they will ever beat Channel 3 again. While Huntington isn't that strong, they forget about the Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky markets.

No, with the new News Director, they are going back to more reporting and investigating. Shame Randy Yohe had to screw-up so bad, the new direction would have been right up his alley. Just watch, Channel 3 is gonna dominate this market real soon.

As for all the departures, folks get nervous with changes in leadership and direction. It's gonna be a good change. Not putting Don down, like I said before, he kept 3 consistently strong. Gonna be a good thing for all involved, and the viewers will benefit.
Fred

Chesapeake, OH

#10 Sep 10, 2013
News Hound wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, a couple of rating periods in the 1990's they briefly slipped to #2, very close behind Channel 13. It wasn't much more than 2 or 3 Arbitron cycles, and as I recall they weren't consecutive either. Channel 8 (and 11 now) rarely showed well and now that 8/11/13 are all "Charleston" based, doubt they will ever beat Channel 3 again. While Huntington isn't that strong, they forget about the Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky markets.
No, with the new News Director, they are going back to more reporting and investigating. Shame Randy Yohe had to screw-up so bad, the new direction would have been right up his alley. Just watch, Channel 3 is gonna dominate this market real soon.
As for all the departures, folks get nervous with changes in leadership and direction. It's gonna be a good change. Not putting Don down, like I said before, he kept 3 consistently strong. Gonna be a good thing for all involved, and the viewers will benefit.
You are blatantly making things up. Once again, the departures had NOTHING to do with a change in management. The last wave of people left to take jobs in bigger markets or with better pay. There is no conspiracy. Stop.
Ray

Hurricane, WV

#11 Sep 10, 2013
So why did Lauren Schmoll leave so suddenly?
waazzzzz

Chesapeake, OH

#12 Sep 10, 2013
Ray wrote:
So why did Lauren Schmoll leave so suddenly?
Lauren got remarried and moved to Kent Ohio. Jessica had a few offers over the past year but held out for Nashville main anchor job. Bill has been looking for a while and has no problems with management. There's the truth. Nobody left or is leaving because of anything other than new and better opportunities. Sad to see people who don't know what they are talking about make assumptions.
News Hound

Milton, WV

#13 Sep 10, 2013
Who said ANYTHING about bad management? I never said anything of that sort! All I said is that when you have a change in senior level management you tend to have changes downstream too. No conspiracy or any other sort of plot going on here, it is just that WSAZ is going to be changing some of it's direction. Anytime something like that happens, people leave, stay, get promoted, and get hired. This is commonplace in media. Actually, sometimes it is more of a bloodbath (i.e. Clear Channel media... a.k.a. Cheap Channel). ANY changes happening at WSAZ are more of a natural progression rather than an overthrow or housecleaning.

Learn to read for heaven's sake!
Gay Bob

United States

#14 Sep 10, 2013
News Hound wrote:
<quoted text>
Not blaming Don Ray, just saying that since he is leaving things are changing. Hate to see him leave, during his tenure Channel 3 has consistently been #1 or #2 in the market. When he announced his intentions, resumes' began to fly. And yes, Huntington/Charleston is a good stepping stone to bigger markets and paychecks...partly why I'm surprised it took Jessica this long to leave.
Amanda is the most likely successor to Jessica's 5:30/6/11 seat but heard the 5pm and 10pm seats may be rotated for awhile to audition folks for the best "fit."
Figure the next "big" departure will be Bill Murray. He is looking, though not actively.
Tony is probably going to die on-air, that is the only way he will leave. He almost got canned a few times in the 90's but somehow survived. Now he has too much time (and one or two other factors) going in his favor. Funny thing is, he really doesn't have audience respect and he pi$ses-off his co-workers. The last several departures from the weather department were because of him. Even Marina's departure was hastened because of Tony's attitude. He's just pis$ed-off that he couldn't get hired by the Weather Channel and even more now that NBC owns TWC. Hes got an entitlement and superiority complex.
Tony still seeing Matthew?
wondering

Lynchburg, VA

#15 Sep 11, 2013
I used to watch wsaz all the time, I still do but I refuse to watch tony caviler on the weather , we happen to be out eating one evening when toney was eating and my husband said high and asked him about the weather for the next day for golfing and he smarted off to us , like don't bother him when he's not working it was very embarrising . and we were not just young kids trying to be smart or anything we were middle age at the time and if wanted to no something about the weather who else to ask but a real weather guy. Me and my husband just looked at each other an thought how he could speak to people like that when your in the public eye. From then on I will not watch him on the weather at all when the weather comes on I turn the channel and will never forget about that day ever . so to you toney you are no better then me an my husband and if people only new how big of a fake you are and I am not afraid to tell anyone about it either
Ruth

Chesapeake, OH

#16 Sep 11, 2013
LULZ wrote:
Im surprised Brandon is still here. If im not getting them mixed up. Josh is the gay looking guy right? But Brandon seems to be real comfortable in front of the camera. Im sure big city stations are going to snatch him up. He seems way more professional than the rest of them. I wish we could keep these talented people. I miss the attractive girl who left a while back. Kind of a thick girl with dark hair. I think she went to Minnesota or somewhere. Very talented!
Wow you have no clue what you are talking about. It's the opposite, Brandon is by far the worst person on air I have ever seen. Josh is the real talent. In fact he is the most popular. He has more than 40,000 followers on Facebook. No one likes Brandon at WSAZ.
dude

Elizabeth, WV

#17 Sep 11, 2013
They should get rid of the weathermen and hire some hot sexy women to do the weather in bikinis.
waazzzzz

Chesapeake, OH

#18 Sep 11, 2013
Ruth wrote:
<quoted text>.
Wow you have no clue what you are talking about. It's the opposite, Brandon is by far the worst person on air I have ever seen. Josh is the real talent. In fact he is the most popular. He has more than 40,000 followers on Facebook. No one likes Brandon at WSAZ.
Thanks to Josh for posting about himself here. Brandon is a good guy. Nobody cares about your Facebook followers Josh. You appear desperate. If you were so great you wouldn't have been working weekends for so many years.
dude

Chesapeake, OH

#19 Sep 11, 2013
Ralston leaving for Tennessee. Oct 4th is her last day. Just posted it on Facebook.
dude

Elizabeth, WV

#20 Sep 11, 2013
dude wrote:
Ralston leaving for Tennessee. Oct 4th is her last day. Just posted it on Facebook.
Damned! Going to miss her on the news.
I figure Moxley will take her place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Here is an example of your Military "Heros". 49 min Salute my dong 3
kneegar DNA 56 min Justin_ Martin 4
I've never seen a female kneeger that looked fe... 58 min Justin_ Martin 15
Hillary beats trump! 1 hr MarkJ- 43
Any MU girls wanna have their toes sucked... 1 hr All10toessucked 6
East end break-ins 2 hr Baltimore street 6 95
for black people 3 2 hr in the key of life 211

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance