Goodwill Industries
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
The Game

West Hamlin, WV

#1 Jan 21, 2012
Has anyone noticed the increase in prices at the local Goodwill's lately? They have raised quite a bit and if you notice the stock seems to have slacked off. Well I hate to tell you, but they are taking the best items and selling them on Ebay and at the local flea markets. As a shopper you are not seeing half of what comes into those stores, don't fall for the public relations spin they put on it. They are a terrible company, they even banned their employees from speaking to each other.
Gin and Tonic

Harrisonburg, VA

#2 Jan 21, 2012
I also hear that they don't really hire disabled and mentally handicapped people...they'll hire maybe one that works a few hours a week so they can get tax breaks.
Waiting for Internet

Huntington, WV

#3 Jan 21, 2012
The Game wrote:
Has anyone noticed the increase in prices at the local Goodwill's lately? They have raised quite a bit and if you notice the stock seems to have slacked off. Well I hate to tell you, but they are taking the best items and selling them on Ebay and at the local flea markets. As a shopper you are not seeing half of what comes into those stores, don't fall for the public relations spin they put on it. They are a terrible company, they even banned their employees from speaking to each other.
I'm not surprised. But if the money earned from eBay sales still goes to benefit the organization, I guess that's not so bad. But yeah, I can see your point.

I always thought that "Bring in all your sensitive documents to be shredded at Goodwill" sounded completely insane. Who in their right mind would do such a fool thing? Do they actually get much business with that service?
What

Huntington, WV

#4 Jan 21, 2012
Stop buying from them. They exploit disabled people.
Waiting for Internet

Huntington, WV

#5 Jan 21, 2012
Gin and Tonic wrote:
I also hear that they don't really hire disabled and mentally handicapped people...they'll hire maybe one that works a few hours a week so they can get tax breaks.
That is absolutely true. It's usually more than one, but nowhere the amount that you are led to believe by the commercials. Other companies also do this. It's one thing to give a disabled person a job, but to hire with the only goal being exploitation is degrading and sad.

Level 5

Since: Oct 11

Boone, IA

#6 Jan 21, 2012
I have reason to believe at least one location has some employees that pounce on the "good stuff" before it hits the shelves. I took some items there a couple months ago, but from now on, I think I'll find someone who needs them or put them on Craigslist under the "free" section.
Justice

South Point, OH

#7 Jan 21, 2012
Goodwill also takes stuff to Taylor's metal recycling. They were there today and the guys driving the truck were throwing a fit and saying that the stuff they dropped of was worth more money than what they got and the lady told them to drive there truck back over the scales to make sure they were paid for the right weight for the huge truck load of metal they brought in.
Mad at that

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Jan 21, 2012
I believe that as thrift store, Goodwill is seriously breaking code. They have turned into another greedy machine of a business. The money goes to exactly what??? Some charity, and then building more stores, paying employees low wages, and taking kick backs??? Their presence on ebay is downright fraudulent. I believe the basic reason Goodwill was started was not only to create jobs- Which by selling on ebay, they are not, but to provide affordable things to people who SHOP in the stores. So now the items they get for FREE are being carted off and sold on auction websites to make landslide profits??? FUCK THEM. Straight up. That type of business practice completes defeats the purpose of being a thrift store. Thankfully, the Goodwills in my area haven't started selling on Ebay, but the numbers of regional stores that do is astounding and downright angering.
The Game

Harrisonburg, VA

#9 Jan 22, 2012
Maybe someone should ask them what they do with the computers that are dropped off? Have you noticed that you can not find any PC items at our local stores? Thats because they have a contract with Dell and Dell does not want anyone to have the option of buying computers at low prices. So Goodwill scraps everything and ships it out of their 19th st West facility. Dell in turn pays them salvage fees and lets them purchase office pc's at cheap prices. So everytime you have dropped off a working printer,computer,moniter etc just remember that it gets scrapped, no matter if it works or not. Then there is TV sets, call and ask if they take in TVs? They only take TV's if they HD flatscreens! Call and ask for yourself.
motherof3

Saint Albans, WV

#10 Sep 12, 2012
The Game wrote:
Maybe someone should ask them what they do with the computers that are dropped off? Have you noticed that you can not find any PC items at our local stores? Thats because they have a contract with Dell and Dell does not want anyone to have the option of buying computers at low prices. So Goodwill scraps everything and ships it out of their 19th st West facility. Dell in turn pays them salvage fees and lets them purchase office pc's at cheap prices. So everytime you have dropped off a working printer,computer,moniter etc just remember that it gets scrapped, no matter if it works or not. Then there is TV sets, call and ask if they take in TVs? They only take TV's if they HD flatscreens! Call and ask for yourself.
have you ever ask what dell does with the computers after goodwill sends the computers to them. they fix them and send them out to schools and other places that need them. and about the tvs most that go to goodwill do not work and they cant get rid of them the dump doesnt take them unless it is HD. I dont understand why people down goodwill so much and dont even know what they do. some say the people that work there take all the goods stuff that is not true they are not even aloud to shop at the store they work at. so i think before you bad mouth gooodwill find out what they really do!!!!!
Do research before

United States

#11 Sep 12, 2012
Goodwill doesn't need Ebay to sale its items they have their own website and have for years.

Level 9

Since: Aug 11

Huntington, WV

#12 Sep 12, 2012
Give them all your stuff,Dumb azz.
KFC

Hansford, WV

#13 Sep 12, 2012
Goodwill CEO makes over 120000 a year It's a joke
concerned

Springfield, NJ

#14 Sep 12, 2012
KFC wrote:
I agree! It's a joke and the corporates get richer, and employees are spied on at all times on close circuit laptop cameras. They pay someone 24/7 to keep the little man from stealing from their empire. Please write to voice of the people and let the people know of this corruption. Most of the good stuff, anything of value is saved for a trained higher ups to put on goodwills auction site. You can get good deals if a newby is being trained, but if something is noticed in the store by the big wigs who travel from store to store, that should have went online or at a higher price, the employee will be fired. The employees are watched at all times on camera 's. if anything is stolen it is by an inventive person who has learned to beat the system. Believe me everything is set up to keep the lowly workers from stealing anything from big corporate. The dumpster are even on camera
24/7. For those who think their stuff is never for sale. If it is a baby seat, chair, well anything except clothing it gets thrown in the dumpster due to recall laws. Sell them at yard sales or give them to friends. Dirty yard toys, goes to dumpster, tv's, you can't even drop off. Stores like barboursville get such large volume donations that most are sent to other stores, 8 in this region. Your donation will probably go to pikeville or point pleasant or Ashland , or where donations are low. And yep they break and destroy anything they can't sell or sell to bulk over seas. A good, goodwill would see that the unsold would go to charity or to help others. It's all about the profit like everything else. The new remodeled "goodwill" will be their ending. They are trying to make their stores high priced boutiques. Very little inventory is on the floor now. Where is these donations going now? Prices have all gone up and there is no junk to go thru. I wish salvation army thrift stores would come to the tristate and give them competition. The really poor and needy people have no where to go.
fat man in the party van

Ardsley, NY

#15 Sep 13, 2012
Um 120000 is chump change for a CEO
Sounds fair to me
mee

Highland, MI

#16 Sep 13, 2012
Just wondering were are you getting your information
leonard

United States

#17 Sep 13, 2012
It's 2012, people shop on the internet. If Goodwill was not selling on eBay that would be a mistake, also selling on ebay creates jobs as much as selling in a store, people to list the item, monitor them, package them and sort to determine how to sell each item.

The real crooks are people that dump their trash at Goodwill. Old CRT TV's don't sell, dirty clothes and mattresses, obsolete computers, etc. Goodwill does a service.
leonard

United States

#18 Sep 13, 2012
And do you expect them to run a store with handicapped people. The economy has hurt them also. Their employees have creatively kept Goodwill in business and expanding, none of you whiners could do that.
just saying

Springfield, NJ

#19 Sep 13, 2012
Do research before wrote:
Goodwill doesn't need Ebay to sale its items they have their own website and have for years.
The local Goodwill no longer sells items online.
just saying

Springfield, NJ

#20 Sep 13, 2012
KFC wrote:
She should, but doesn't

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More blood on liberals hands 16 min MarkJ- 4
Rep Frederica Wilson a Rock Star 25 min Big Bad Whitey 7
shame on Jewel City Seafood 35 min Donnie 8
mixed nuts 39 min africa feat 86
Baltimore Street drugs (Feb '17) 40 min Junebug 1,078
All liberals horses and all the liberals men 45 min Junebug 2
America Held Hostage Day 273 59 min MarkJ- 10
Josh Fitzpatrick Fired Thu Doug 155

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web