First Prev
of 3
Next Last
US MP

United States

#1 Mar 17, 2010
I just want to say they are a bunch of goofy unprofessional looking bunch of guards ive ever seen and they dont know there asses from a whole in the ground they just had a fire in there parking garage instead of closing the garage wich was full of black smoke poring out of everywhere they continue to let people in and park this was a fully involved car fire you could see fire from a block away and smoke a mile away.the fire was on the 2nd floor. I really dont know what to say stupid maybe; fire hazard (duh) could be dangerous for people to be in the garage. when you have fire fighters entering the garage with airpacks on you would think one of the 6 guards standing around smoking would say maybe we shouldnt let people in it might be dangerous. .nothing against the hospital but I do think its time to start a in house security firm for the safety of the visitors and folks that work there.
unknown

Huntington, WV

#2 Mar 17, 2010
What exactly happened to cause the fire. I saw the remnants before the car was towed with a few interesting looking people standing by. Just curious.
yep

Huntington, WV

#3 Mar 17, 2010
A-1 security is who provides security there. They pay their employee's 7.25 an hour. They also provide no health benefits, or other benefits at all to the employee's. I found this kinda strange that a hospital would contract with a company like this. I guess St. Mary's just gets what they pay for.
US MP

United States

#4 Mar 18, 2010
St marys has always contracted there security out like was said nothing against the hospital but they are growing and i think it is time for them in that dept to think of the safety of there patients employees and visitors because A-1 security isnt doing it my wife works there and she doesnt feel safe leaving or coming in early in the morning.she parks in the new garage at 4 in the morning its dark there are no guards in sight no guards near the outpatient building but there are about 4 or 5 outside the E-R or in the Ambulance bay all talking or smoking. I know the er does get a little crazy everynow and then and the parking garage and the out patient building isnt 5 min from the Emergency Room in case of a problem.the other scary part is there is nobody in the old garage either anything can happen they are just not patrolling like they should.
yep

Huntington, WV

#5 Mar 18, 2010
i totally agree, like i said st marys is just getting what they pay for they want uber cheap and thats the effort they get in return, its time for them to change that!
COsaysSO

Columbus, OH

#6 Mar 20, 2010
When you introduce a pay scale, youíre rating the labor as well. Minimum wage = Minimum work. Economics 101.
yep

Huntington, WV

#7 Mar 20, 2010
exactly, so st. mary's should expect to continue to have problems such as this in the future.
ray bestos

United States

#8 Mar 21, 2010
The gaurds are very nice and helpful. They have a very large area per gaurd. They are not allowed to much of any action or think on their own without getting a supervisor's approval. I have found them to be nice and helpful as much as they can within their realm. If you are in the hospital at any location or with your cellphone call the main desk and have them send you a gaurd to walk you into the building. a gaurd will come if you call the desk. just stay in your car until the gaurd gets there to assist you.
each gaurd's job is big enough for three people.
i don't think they base their efforts on their pay.
everyone else who works for or in a supporting business within st. mary's makes high wages. Housekeepers make double of that of the security gaurds. maintenance makes tripple of the security gaurds...need i go further up the food chain?
these gaurds are not policemen. they are being forced to somewhat assume the role of a policeman but they are not and cannot enforce what a policeman can enforce. They do the best they can with a good heart and we should be thankful they are even willing to come to work everyday risking their lives being in the position they are put in for the low pay they receive.
Answered

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 21, 2010
ray bestos wrote:
The gaurds are very nice and helpful. They have a very large area per gaurd. They are not allowed to much of any action or think on their own without getting a supervisor's approval. I have found them to be nice and helpful as much as they can within their realm. If you are in the hospital at any location or with your cellphone call the main desk and have them send you a gaurd to walk you into the building. a gaurd will come if you call the desk. just stay in your car until the gaurd gets there to assist you.
each gaurd's job is big enough for three people.
i don't think they base their efforts on their pay.
everyone else who works for or in a supporting business within st. mary's makes high wages. Housekeepers make double of that of the security gaurds. maintenance makes tripple of the security gaurds...need i go further up the food chain?
these gaurds are not policemen. they are being forced to somewhat assume the role of a policeman but they are not and cannot enforce what a policeman can enforce. They do the best they can with a good heart and we should be thankful they are even willing to come to work everyday risking their lives being in the position they are put in for the low pay they receive.
You make it out like they are selling themselves short for an evil employer. I was a sentry at U.S. embassy, that was underpaid! Security Officers are there for officer's presence, and p.r. image more than anything. That is what 7.25an hr. looks like. I would not police potential hazards without proper authority to do so, specific training, and equipment to do the task. Neither should they, and they donít. They call the Police, Fire, rescue, or what have you. I f they have the authority, the specific training, and equipment issued, then yes, they are underpaid.
ray bestos

United States

#10 Mar 21, 2010
Huntington kind of kills me ....every job here is minimum wage for the most part. I am lucky to be a more professional line of work where i do much better than that but i feel sorry for all the people who work at these banks and restaurants for minimum wage. These businesses have enough income after their expenses to give the employees more.
Answered

Columbus, OH

#11 Mar 21, 2010
ray bestos wrote:
Huntington kind of kills me ....every job here is minimum wage for the most part. I am lucky to be a more professional line of work where i do much better than that but i feel sorry for all the people who work at these banks and restaurants for minimum wage. These businesses have enough income after their expenses to give the employees more.
Ray for Mayor!
maw

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Mar 27, 2010
I was recently at the marshall campus n SO. charleston. The guard was from A-1 HE and 1 of Marshalls people treated me very badly!
justaguy

United States

#13 Apr 5, 2010
the greedy owner of a-1, morbidly obese b'ville sheriff wendell adkins, gets $25 per hour per guard from st marys. the guards get $7.25 of it. the supervisors only get $7.75/hr. no health care, no salary, no paid time off, no chance for advancement, 2 holidays a year and zero benefits. the guards are all nice people, however, they are not trained to handle anything. they are unarmed and have no authority. yet they use their bodies and mouths to create a barrier between the staff and dangerous people till hpd shows up. then they have to deal with condescending looks/remarks from the hospital staff. they are all their because it was the only job available. if you have a problem with the guards, you should ask yourself if you could/would do a better job given the circumstances. the villain is the owner of the company. very little $$$ = very little ambition.
blah

Huntington, WV

#14 May 12, 2010
not all the men who work for a-1 are retards.. however yeah they do have some dumb ones!!
MMann

United States

#15 May 12, 2010
US MP wrote:
I just want to say they are a bunch of goofy unprofessional looking bunch of guards ive ever seen and they dont know there asses from a whole in the ground they just had a fire in there parking garage instead of closing the garage wich was full of black smoke poring out of everywhere they continue to let people in and park this was a fully involved car fire you could see fire from a block away and smoke a mile away.the fire was on the 2nd floor. I really dont know what to say stupid maybe; fire hazard (duh) could be dangerous for people to be in the garage. when you have fire fighters entering the garage with airpacks on you would think one of the 6 guards standing around smoking would say maybe we shouldnt let people in it might be dangerous..nothing against the hospital but I do think its time to start a in house security firm for the safety of the visitors and folks that work there.
Well, you don't know a whole in the ground from a hole in the ground, so I guess you're pretty feckin stupid too
Neighbor

Huntington, WV

#16 May 13, 2010
"Whole in the ground" and you are calling someone else stupid?? it is "HOLE" I live right beside St. Mary's and I didn't see smoke, so it must not have been as bad as you described. The Huntington Fire Department would be the people responsible for blocking off the parking garage if they saw a hazard to the public, and who would drive into a garage with smoke as thick as you are saying. As far as the security goes, if St. Mary's contracts it out and pays the owner of the company $25 per hour each guard sounds like they are paying their part and the owner of the A-1 is the one cheating the employees out of a decent wage, that is their business. I find the security guards very nice and very helpful at the hospital.
Sam

United States

#17 May 13, 2010
I work at St. Mary's, and I am a firefighter. The fire department told the so-called security guard to not let anyone in the garage, but being the "quality" people they are; he continued to allow cars to enter. There was a large amount of smoke pouring out from the level of the fire. The glow could be seen for blocks. My office faces the garage, and I watched the entire scene. It is standard protocol to stop all traffic from entering the garage until it can be assessed by the fire marshal to ensure there is not any structural compromise. Car fires have caused parking garages to collapse. The side of the garage was black from the flames. You obviously donít live near the parking garage and were not awake at the time of this fire. Oh, and yes some of the guards are nice, but they are not the quality one would expect from St. Maryís. This is one department that needs improved. To US MP, donít let them bother you. Iím sure they have made a type-o or two in their day too. No one is perfect, so stop acting like you are.
Hello

United States

#18 May 13, 2010
I would rather spell something wrong or hit a extra letter on my keyboard than to be so careless as to endanger peoples lives. as a Security Guard My Self they should have had more sence than that if it is a parking garage common sence would tell you close it off if that car would have exploded and set a chain reaction off with other cars around and cars comeing in your risking lives.and while the fire Dept was trying to work you shouldnt have been in there anyway.you people are so dumb youself you bash folks that may have spelled something wrong or didnt put a quotation mark somewhere or something stupid the guard was wrong he should have secured the scene without someone telling him to.or did he have to ask his mom first...
Oh yeah

Williamson, WV

#19 May 13, 2010
Sam wrote:
I work at St. Mary's, and I am a firefighter. The fire department told the so-called security guard to not let anyone in the garage, but being the "quality" people they are; he continued to allow cars to enter. There was a large amount of smoke pouring out from the level of the fire. The glow could be seen for blocks. My office faces the garage, and I watched the entire scene. It is standard protocol to stop all traffic from entering the garage until it can be assessed by the fire marshal to ensure there is not any structural compromise. Car fires have caused parking garages to collapse. The side of the garage was black from the flames. You obviously donít live near the parking garage and were not awake at the time of this fire. Oh, and yes some of the guards are nice, but they are not the quality one would expect from St. Maryís. This is one department that needs improved. To US MP, donít let them bother you. Iím sure they have made a type-o or two in their day too. No one is perfect, so stop acting like you are.
It is the fire departments job to stop traffic during a fire, not Security Officers.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Law Dog

United States

#20 May 16, 2010
A security guard,(or security officer) is usually a privately and formally employed person who is paid to protect property, assets, or people.
Often, security officers are uniformed and act to protect property by maintaining a high visibility presence to deter illegal and inappropriate actions, observing (either directly, through patrols, or by watching alarm systems or video cameras) for signs of crime, fire or disorder; then taking action and reporting any incidents to their client and emergency services as appropriate.
Now for all you folks out there you dont let people go into a parking garage that is full of black smoke I was there I saw the fire yes the security guard on scene at that post should have had enough commen scence to close the garage. that security guard was responsible for everyone there even after the fire dept arrived the fire dept has a job to do as well as that guard keeping people away from the fire scene and danger.he shouldnt have to be told on a situation like that on what to do he is not going to tell the fire dept what to do and they are not going to tell him what to do unless he is not doing it and they did some firemen was actually shocked that he was letting people through.and the fire dept doesnt stop traffic on a fire.. they call for Huntington Police to stop and or detor traffic.and St Marys is private property Huntington police isnt called unless security calls for them ....so that means that StMarys Security was the acting law enforcement agency on scene.anything else you would like to know....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr. Harold Rose (Apr '12) 3 min Great Eye Doctor 10
Doesn't Mayor Steve Williams have to pay taxes? 13 min Pissed off in Hun... 1
Highlawn is full of cowards 24 min hilarious 30
How Do You Feel About Waffle House Route 60 47 min Why So Serious 43
anyone know chad brown (May '09) 1 hr tlkemployee 31
Special Metals INCO layoffs 1 hr Calling Back 104
Lusk 2 hr punk 13
Caserta gets the boot! 4 hr Concerned With So... 19
More from around the web

Huntington People Search