First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pip

Huntington, WV

#1 Oct 3, 2013
Is there a shooting range or gun shop in Huntington or the tri-state area that will allow me to test drive a gun before I purchase it?

What do you think is the best handgun to buy for home/personal protection and why?

Level 5

Since: Oct 11

Hurricane, WV

#2 Oct 4, 2013
If you plan on carrying it, then get something easy to conceal. Anything bulky and uncomfortable you will end up leaving it home or in the car. The small Rugers and Kel-Tecs are great for the price. The Glocks and Smiths are a little nicer and hold their value, although you will pay a little more. There are more expensive models, but I'm not a fan of carrying anything too fancy. It's going to get some wear on it, if you carry regularly. Besides...they're not any more reliable or accurate. Don't worry about accuracy, anyway. At the distance you will be shooting in a self-defense situation, it's not even an issue.

If it's only for home defense, get a shotgun. If you still prefer a handgun, Smith makes a couple full-sized semi-autos that are reliable, cheap, and rugged. The "SD" model is $500ish new. The Sigma model is under $400 (I believe) and is patterned after a Glock. Very easy to break down, rugged, reliable, but costs less. Trigger is heavy, but it's supposed to be. They look better than the Glocks, too. You can buy them used for $2-300 pretty regularly. The SD model is the same gun with some added features. I would suggest buying new. Used handguns are fetching way too much these days. If I'm taking a chance on someone else's problem, I'd expect to save more than $50. Used ones are literally selling for around the same price as new.

Hi-Points are cheap, but have a good track record for the price-point. I've shot a couple and they did fine. They are UGLY though, and the manufacturer says "no hollow points". That rules it out for me. You must shoot a good hollow-point self-defense round, and try them in your gun before defending your life with it.
?

Charleston, WV

#3 Oct 4, 2013
I use a Springfield xds 45, I've run about 900 rounds of various ammo thru it and it performs perfect ! Don't know of any shops around now that allow you to test fire!
Nancy

Chesapeake, VA

#4 Oct 4, 2013
Pip wrote:
Is there a shooting range or gun shop in Huntington or the tri-state area that will allow me to test drive a gun before I purchase it?
What do you think is the best handgun to buy for home/personal protection and why?
Go to a gun shop, tell them what you're looking for, they will find something that's best suited you. These boo zoes will tell you what's best suited for them. Hope I've heped. Nancy
Silent majority

United States

#5 Oct 4, 2013
Pip wrote:
I think todd's in proctorville has an inside range..

Shotguns kick pretty good..and their "messy".

I sleep with a glock .45 with a laser/light attachment or a beretta storm 9mm carbine with a tactical light. Lighting is important for target identification.

Regarding why: the .45 bullet width accelerates the blood letting and thats important because a home invasion is close range. The .45 rarely exits the body. you dont want a .44 magnum or similiar. especially in the city. You'll have guts everywhere and the bullet will go thru several houses.....

The beretta is short and light and accurate and you can put a 50 round mag in it. 9 mm ammo is cheaper too with good penetration.

Stay away from hollow points. They are expensive, the dont always open up, and they jam.

Level 5

Hurricane, WV

#6 Oct 4, 2013
Silent majority wrote:
<quoted text>
I think todd's in proctorville has an inside range..
Shotguns kick pretty good..and their "messy".
I sleep with a glock .45 with a laser/light attachment or a beretta storm 9mm carbine with a tactical light. Lighting is important for target identification.
Regarding why: the .45 bullet width accelerates the blood letting and thats important because a home invasion is close range. The .45 rarely exits the body. you dont want a .44 magnum or similiar. especially in the city. You'll have guts everywhere and the bullet will go thru several houses.....
The beretta is short and light and accurate and you can put a 50 round mag in it. 9 mm ammo is cheaper too with good penetration.
Stay away from hollow points. They are expensive, the dont always open up, and they jam.
Ball ammo doesn't open up, therefore, not as much energy transfers into the target. Show me a leo that has ball ammo in their service weapon.

Level 5

Hurricane, WV

#7 Oct 4, 2013
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>Go to a gun shop, tell them what you're looking for, they will find something that's best suited you. These boo zoes will tell you what's best suited for them. Hope I've heped. Nancy
Gun shops will sell you whatever they're trying to get rid of. Just buy a brand you've heard of. You shouldn't have an issue finding a holster, spare mags, etc.
Gunnie

Berkeley Springs, WV

#8 Oct 5, 2013
No indoor ranges in area. Columbus Or Lexington is the closest.
Silent majority

United States

#9 Oct 5, 2013
sempron wrote:
<quoted text>
Ball ammo doesn't open up, therefore, not as much energy transfers into the target. Show me a leo that has ball ammo in their service weapon.
I dont use ball ammo i use semi wad cutter.

I dont care what leo uses. In my experience hollow points jam and they dont penetrate well. Hollow points are a gimmick that the inexperienced buy into. If you like them keep using them. Id rather have a reliable half inch hole myself. I learned that from my grandfather, who was a cop.
Gun fun

Branchland, WV

#10 Oct 5, 2013
Go to Backwoods Guns. They are very honest and will help you make a good gun choice.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#11 Oct 5, 2013
Pip wrote:
Guns are a penis replacement. Did you lose yours?
?

Charleston, WV

#12 Oct 5, 2013
Gun fun wrote:
Go to Backwoods Guns. They are very honest and will help you make a good gun choice.
Haha you're funny!!
1 post removed

Level 5

Hurricane, WV

#14 Oct 5, 2013
disneywalt wrote:
Guns are for men with little man syndrome :)
Is that only for guns or anything you use to defend yourself? Next time someone hits a line drive, don't try to catch it. Just stand there and let it hit you in the face. Baseball gloves are for guys with little man syndrome.
2 posts removed
Silent majority

United States

#17 Oct 6, 2013
TheTruthWeKnew wrote:
<quoted text>
Guns are a penis replacement. Did you lose yours?
Cops have no penises? Our military has no penises?

The first thing u think of when you hear the word "gun" is somebody's wang? Weirdo.
Silent majority

United States

#18 Oct 6, 2013
sempron wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that only for guns or anything you use to defend yourself? Next time someone hits a line drive, don't try to catch it. Just stand there and let it hit you in the face. Baseball gloves are for guys with little man syndrome.
Good point...doubt they will get it tho.
joey

United States

#19 Oct 7, 2013
Some people say don't go smaller then a .380 for carry. For the house you can't go wrong with a full size. 45 auto. What ever you do don't listen to nancy.
Gosh

Huntington, WV

#20 Oct 8, 2013
disneywalt wrote:
And Hummers and Camaro's.
1 post removed

Level 5

United States

#22 Oct 10, 2013
Yep. I just saw a bunch of big-peckered bastards in Priuses driving around town flipping off bikers. Those dudes were scary.
hillbilly

Kenova, WV

#23 Oct 10, 2013
disneywalt wrote:
I have allways wondered about "cop,s" lol
Gosh

Huntington, WV

#24 Oct 10, 2013
sempron wrote:
Yep. I just saw a bunch of big-peckered bastards in Priuses driving around town flipping off bikers. Those dudes were scary.
Where?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Mr president 23 min General Bone Spur 27
Horrible smell between my wife's legs 2 hr Bobby 2
Golden Coral Neck Tattoo employees 2 hr Hillary 11
Huntington's "Open to All" campaign? 2 hr Gregory 41
Reasons we have school shootings. 2 hr Gregory 17
Julie Hobbs (Nov '16) 3 hr LMAO 13
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 4 hr Kornho Granny 4,404

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance