Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Jul 19, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TaxPayerJim

Huntington, WV

#1 Feb 11, 2012
I drove by the Cabell County EMS today and noticed they have a boat inside their ambulance garage. Why do they need a boat?

I'm not talking about a rescue boat like the Fire Department and Coast Guard would have, this was like an 18' bow rider style pleasure boat. It had a ski tower with an emergency light bar on it. Why would they need emergency lights on it anyway? Do they need to get through traffic lights on the river?

I just can't imagine why they would have a boat, espically the style of boat they have. They don't do rescues, they don't go pick patients up from islands, why do they need it?
Troll Under The Bridge

Huntington, WV

#2 Feb 12, 2012
It's pretty obvious. So they can water ski and go through no wake zones full speed with the lights and siren.
justathought

Ashland, KY

#3 Feb 12, 2012
They have to spend money on something, they sure don't pay their employees well.
boater

United States

#4 Feb 12, 2012
Duh. If there is a flood and you have a heart attack you want them to be able to come get you, right?
whoanelly

Huntington, WV

#5 Feb 12, 2012
TaxPayerJim wrote:
I drove by the Cabell County EMS today and noticed they have a boat inside their ambulance garage. Why do they need a boat?

I'm not talking about a rescue boat like the Fire Department and Coast Guard would have, this was like an 18' bow rider style pleasure boat. It had a ski tower with an emergency light bar on it. Why would they need emergency lights on it anyway? Do they need to get through traffic lights on the river?

I just can't imagine why they would have a boat, espically the style of boat they have. They don't do rescues, they don't go pick patients up from islands, why do they need it?
Seeing as how Huntington is the largest inland port in the U.S., I'd say it's not unreasonable to have ways to access the water in the event of an emergency. They may not pick people up in that boat, but what if they need to transport people out to an emergency site where they're trying to rescue someone or are recovering a body?
haha

Hollywood, FL

#6 Feb 12, 2012
It's so they can go get the assistant director who lives in Ohio! He can't drive his county vehicle thru the flood waters!!!
SannDigger

Hollywood, FL

#7 Feb 12, 2012
boater wrote:
Duh. If there is a flood and you have a heart attack you want them to be able to come get you, right?
Did you miss the part where he specifically said it was NOT a rescue style boat? The boat they have is a fiberglass v-bottom, it would be near useless in flood water. The fire department would be the ones doing flood rescues, not EMT's.
SannDigger

Hollywood, FL

#8 Feb 12, 2012
whoanelly wrote:
<quoted text>
Seeing as how Huntington is the largest inland port in the U.S., I'd say it's not unreasonable to have ways to access the water in the event of an emergency. They may not pick people up in that boat, but what if they need to transport people out to an emergency site where they're trying to rescue someone or are recovering a body?
Well of course, what was I thinking.

As for recovering a body, again it's the fire department that does that. On the Ohio River the coast guard could also be involved, but not Cabell County EMS. They might be there to help or at the boat ramp to take over once on land but either way they don't need a boat of their own.

Huntington, WV

#9 Feb 12, 2012
iknow

Slippery Rock, PA

#10 Feb 12, 2012
SannDigger wrote:
<quoted text>Did you miss the part where he specifically said it was NOT a rescue style boat? The boat they have is a fiberglass v-bottom, it would be near useless in flood water. The fire department would be the ones doing flood rescues, not EMT's.
Cause they got a good deal on it it was a Dnr boat. And it can be used in the river for search and rescue. It's is better in the river than the swift water boats
Wow

Huntington, WV

#11 Feb 12, 2012
Fiberglass bottom would glide on water better.
Really

Huntington, WV

#12 Feb 12, 2012
Fiberglass boats take less energy to run. They also dont rust or rot and they are great for shallow water. So it makes great sense to me Cabell County Ems would own one. Besides I dont think I have ever seen a CCEMS boat out fishing anywhere before. Lol But, I guess I could be surprised one of these days.
Really

Huntington, WV

#13 Feb 12, 2012
By the way recovering body is CCEMS. I have a family member on the dive rescue team for CCEMS. Might want to check out CCEMS DIRT team sometime.
obvious

Huntington, WV

#14 Feb 12, 2012
Maybe incase something happens out on the river.duh! Could be out boating or fishing or having a family day and something go wrong while out on the river. That would be one good reason to have one.
SannDigger

Hollywood, FL

#15 Feb 12, 2012
Really wrote:
Fiberglass boats take less energy to run. They also dont rust or rot and they are great for shallow water. So it makes great sense to me Cabell County Ems would own one. Besides I dont think I have ever seen a CCEMS boat out fishing anywhere before. Lol But, I guess I could be surprised one of these days.
Aluminum boats don't rust or rot either. The material of the boat has little to do with the depth of water it can operate in. The hull design and outdrive placement does. A v-bottom with a prop needs at least 4 feet of water, a flat bottom can travel in inches. Zodiac and other rescue style boats are designed for, well, rescue operations. The boat they have would be at best a patrol boat, useless for an EMS service.
SannDigger

Hollywood, FL

#16 Feb 12, 2012
iknow wrote:
<quoted text>
Cause they got a good deal on it it was a Dnr boat. And it can be used in the river for search and rescue. It's is better in the river than the swift water boats
How is it a "good deal" to buy something you don't need?

And again, why do they NEED a boat for rescue? Since when do they do rescue operations? Besides, have you seen most of those EMT's? They couldn't pull someone out of the water up on that boat if the wanted to. Most of them are at least 250 pounds lol. I hope they don't have swimsuit uniforms lol.
Okay

Huntington, WV

#17 Feb 12, 2012
I highly doubt CCEMS would pick the wrong kind of boat for rescue operations, considering how they put their own life at risk.

Huntington, WV

#18 Feb 12, 2012
SannDigger wrote:
<quoted text>How is it a "good deal" to buy something you don't need?

And again, why do they NEED a boat for rescue? Since when do they do rescue operations? Besides, have you seen most of those EMT's? They couldn't pull someone out of the water up on that boat if the wanted to. Most of them are at least 250 pounds lol. I hope they don't have swimsuit uniforms lol.
This is a stupid question. How many times lately have you seen in the news about a body turning up in the river? Do you think those bodies just walk out by themselves?
SannDigger

Hollywood, FL

#19 Feb 12, 2012
411 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a stupid question. How many times lately have you seen in the news about a body turning up in the river? Do you think those bodies just walk out by themselves?
Funny, the boats I've seen fishing out dead bodies say "coast guard" on them. Why would an EMT be doing this? I think it's a little late for CPR on a floater.

Huntington, WV

#20 Feb 12, 2012
SannDigger wrote:
<quoted text>Funny, the boats I've seen fishing out dead bodies say "coast guard" on them. Why would an EMT be doing this? I think it's a little late for CPR on a floater.
I work in a business where I'm on scenes like this a lot. I see ccems a lot because they do have a dive team.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
if Zaphod were a ice cream flavor 6 min Ender 27
Anyone tell me about a bartender named Jerry ch... 14 min patron 2
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 28 min fitness-guru 57,313
Tristateracer closes its forum 1 hr just wondering 15
Dating a Nurse 2 hr SmmcRN 12
New home wrecker in town 2 hr Well 2
East end thief's (Nov '13) 2 hr Scott Fuller 1,632
•••
•••
Huntington Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Huntington Jobs

•••