'07 Cabell EMS suit settled for $3.6 ...

'07 Cabell EMS suit settled for $3.6 million

There are 31 comments on the The West Virginia Record story from Jul 16, 2011, titled '07 Cabell EMS suit settled for $3.6 million. In it, The West Virginia Record reports that:

Details of the settlement in a 2007 wrongful death suit filed against the Cabell County Emergency Medical Services squad by the family of a pregnant Huntington woman which officials attempted to keep secret can now be told.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The West Virginia Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kathy patterson
Level 8

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#1 Jul 16, 2011
these two are still working! did they not want to touch her because she weighed '260lbs'? hope id never need a squad in huntington!
asdfghjkl

Jersey City, NJ

#2 Jul 16, 2011
I doubt it had anything to do with her weight. But the rumor is that she was advised by her physician that she shouldn't have children because of the seriousness if her seizure disorder. Who knows, that is just what is being told.
kathy patterson
Level 8

Location hidden

#3 Jul 16, 2011
wonder what was going thru the emts mind that they didnt attempt basic life support?
asdfghjkl

Elizabeth, NJ

#4 Jul 16, 2011
kathy patterson wrote:
wonder what was going thru the emts mind that they didnt attempt basic life support?
They were both paramedics and they did do CPR.
kathy patterson
Level 8

Location hidden

#5 Jul 16, 2011
maybe i read it wrong but i have a couple questions was she dead at the house,in the squad or at the hospital?
Jim

Huntington, WV

#6 Jul 16, 2011
It's all about the money folks.
kathy patterson
Level 8

Location hidden

#7 Jul 16, 2011
without besmirching anyone's character or down playing anyone's grief why was the money paid out? she died, the baby died,why was such a large sum of money paid out?
Bob

Charleston, WV

#8 Jul 16, 2011
How about Kanawha county EMS? Metro 911 has to send them to Montgomery instead of calling Fayette county for them to respond. There could be a Fayette or JanCare truck a block away from a cardiac arrest patient but the EMS unit that KCEAA demands to respond is coming from Quincy. All about the dollars.
name change

Martinsville, VA

#9 Jul 16, 2011
Bob wrote:
How about Kanawha county EMS? Metro 911 has to send them to Montgomery instead of calling Fayette county for them to respond. There could be a Fayette or JanCare truck a block away from a cardiac arrest patient but the EMS unit that KCEAA demands to respond is coming from Quincy. All about the dollars.
Bob you obviously know nothing about EMS. Ambulance services don't make any money off of 911 calls. 911 calls almost make companies loose money because insurance companies don't pay much for emergency services.
justathought

United States

#10 Jul 16, 2011
kathy patterson wrote:
without besmirching anyone's character or down playing anyone's grief why was the money paid out? she died, the baby died,why was such a large sum of money paid out?
Most all services will settle instead of going to court whether they are at fault or not. Why? I don't know.
justathought

United States

#11 Jul 16, 2011
kathy patterson wrote:
maybe i read it wrong but i have a couple questions was she dead at the house,in the squad or at the hospital?
I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that a lot of the time if someone has only been down a short amount of time EMS works the patient. I would imagine that with her being pregnant that they would have done CPR if for no other reason to try to save the baby. Even If they knew it was too late to save the mother. Who knows what really happened? Only the crew and God. I just don't like to see people being judged based on one side of the story. Remember, there are two sides to every story.
kathy patterson
Level 8

Location hidden

#12 Jul 17, 2011
true, very true.
Wow

Huntington, WV

#13 Jul 18, 2011
justathought wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know the answer to that. But I do know that a lot of the time if someone has only been down a short amount of time EMS works the patient. I would imagine that with her being pregnant that they would have done CPR if for no other reason to try to save the baby. Even If they knew it was too late to save the mother. Who knows what really happened? Only the crew and God. I just don't like to see people being judged based on one side of the story. Remember, there are two sides to every story.
There certainly are 2 sides and it looks like the insurance company listened to them and decided to settle. Most cases settle if they can be settled for less than what they think it will cost to defend them without regard to fault or not. All the insurance company cares about is how much it will cost them, nothing more.

However, in this case the insurance company knew this was a big time loser and that CCEMS was liable for what happened. They started throwing out numbers until these folks said yes and went away.

If those 2 are still working for CCEMS then Gordon Merry should be fired, today.

Level 3

Ivydale, WV

#14 Jul 18, 2011
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
There certainly are 2 sides and it looks like the insurance company listened to them and decided to settle. Most cases settle if they can be settled for less than what they think it will cost to defend them without regard to fault or not. All the insurance company cares about is how much it will cost them, nothing more.
However, in this case the insurance company knew this was a big time loser and that CCEMS was liable for what happened. They started throwing out numbers until these folks said yes and went away.
If those 2 are still working for CCEMS then Gordon Merry should be fired, today.
agree on all points
Bre

New York, NY

#15 Jul 18, 2011
They all suck!!!!!
justathought

New York, NY

#16 Jul 18, 2011
Bre wrote:
They all suck!!!!!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have to disagree with you. There are people who call an ambulance that truly would not make it to the hospital if they went by car. Paramedics can do a lot in the back of ambulance to save a life. They are able to preform many different skills that RN's can't do in the ER. I hope that you never have to call 911, but if you do I pray that you can get to see first hand what Paramedics can do.
Unreal

Oakvale, WV

#17 Jul 18, 2011
I can't believe these people got 3.6 million for this. People don't take personal responsibility for themselves and their health, and it's the fault of others? As sad as this story is, when are people going to take personal responsibility? I know concept is lost in Huntington, WV.
Ronnie Coleman

Oakvale, WV

#18 Jul 19, 2011
You have to be a pro bodybuilder to be an EMT in Huntington, so you can load all the morbidly obese people on the ambulance.
Wow

Huntington, WV

#19 Jul 19, 2011
Unreal wrote:
I can't believe these people got 3.6 million for this. People don't take personal responsibility for themselves and their health, and it's the fault of others? As sad as this story is, when are people going to take personal responsibility? I know concept is lost in Huntington, WV.
Dumb.
justathought

Jersey City, NJ

#20 Jul 19, 2011
Ronnie Coleman wrote:
You have to be a pro bodybuilder to be an EMT in Huntington, so you can load all the morbidly obese people on the ambulance.
Very true

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
America Held Hostage Day 209 3 min MarkJ- 4
Huge race riots in Charlottesville Virginia today 12 min MarkJ- 207
peanut allergy discrimination (Aug '13) 24 min John 156
Josh Fitzpatrick Fired 46 min no doubt 67
Cops want Landlord to do Cops job. 55 min Poisonous Bubble ... 21
Huntington Babe Ruth 56 min Southside resident 560
What is ANTI-FA? What do they want? And why? 57 min So many retards n... 28

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance