Invasion of Privacy
Illegal

United States

#1 Aug 19, 2014
Is this a real issue on Topix? Invasion of privacy? Illegal electronic surveillance? Intrusion on Freedom of Speech?
Think it happens on here, for real?
nunya

Nashville, TN

#2 Aug 20, 2014
I recall numerous lawsuits being filed against John Does and Topix for statements posted on here...the owners of that barge restaurant over in Guyandirtte (can't remember the name, don't give a damn) filed one b/c ppl on here said things about their business that they felt were false. I don't know the outcomes of any of them though.
just me

United States

#3 Aug 21, 2014
nunya wrote:
I recall numerous lawsuits being filed against John Does and Topix for statements posted on here...the owners of that barge restaurant over in Guyandirtte (can't remember the name, don't give a damn) filed one b/c ppl on here said things about their business that they felt were false. I don't know the outcomes of any of them though.
There's NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO ANYONE ON HETE POSTING!! Know for FACT!!
Seeker

Princeton, WV

#4 Aug 21, 2014
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
There's NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO ANYONE ON HETE POSTING!! Know for FACT!!
Schooners.
Really

Huntington, WV

#5 Aug 21, 2014
They delete everything.
lol

Huntington, WV

#6 Aug 21, 2014
just me wrote:
<quoted text>There's NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO ANYONE ON HETE POSTING!! Know for FACT!!
You only know what u were told. If u talk to a lawyer you would know better!
Really

Huntington, WV

#7 Aug 21, 2014
Yes but it has to be something you can prove is untrue..
nunya

Nashville, TN

#8 Aug 22, 2014
And you don't think anything posted on here could be proven untrue, huh? I believe the allegations against Schooner's (thanks seeker) was that they were bankrupt, or filing for bankruptcy. Pretty easy to prove or disprove that.
Really

Roanoke, VA

#9 Aug 22, 2014
Perhaps, in the case of schooners' it can easily be proven. Something like that is in black and white. But most of the posts I see that you could consider defamation refer to character, ethics, or caliber. Those are more qualitative characteristics and are measured differently by everyone. Those are difficult to actually prove untrue. In order words: it's bullshit. This is my opinion I'm not sure though.
lol

Bluefield, WV

#10 Aug 23, 2014
You have to prove damages as well in these cases. Though a thought for some may be that just filing the suit is benefit enough in that it may scare those making the statements enough to stop.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Huntington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
West Virginia Teachers 33 min gary 17
dutch miller commericals (Nov '10) 44 min gary 130
America Held Hostage Day 399 46 min Fitius T Bluster 6
Another disgruntled liberal shoots up a school 1 hr southern at heart 234
brotherhood of the one eyed wonder worm 2 hr Larry 15
Female Employees Work Attendance Horrible 2 hr lol 113
Felons with pit bulls 2 hr lol 30

Huntington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance